Anthony Higginbotham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Re: Anthony Higginbotham

Post by Inchy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:00 am

If it’s just about money for some, I doubt it even makes economic sense to leave children hungry. Malnourished children will be sicker children which will cost the NHS, and therefore sicker adults which will cost the NHS, and also hamper their ability to work and pay taxes.

As for those that believe the selling of food vouchers is a problem. I’m almost certain this isn’t a problem. I think you need ID when using the vouchers.

Elizabeth well done for being poor in the past and not being hungry. Shall I make you a medal?
This user liked this post: Corky

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am

Man of the people Anthony Higginbotham also voted against ensuring those in tier 3 areas received 80% of their salary via the job support scheme.

So Higginbotham is fine with the government handing out 10bn in covid contracts without tender. He’s fine with receiving a pay rise himself. He’s fine with paying 7k a day to a consultancy firm for a failed track and trace system. He’s fine for the tories to hand out 1bn in covid contracts to Tory friends or donors.

But he isn’t fine with ensuring children don’t go hungry.

Man of the people.

Well done people of Burnley. At least you got a oven ready brexit
These 13 users liked this post: Terrybfc longsidepies ZizkovClaret Corky Pimlico_Claret Wadesawinger Billy Balfour Greenmile fidelcastro JohnDearyMe sanderson370 nil_desperandum Goodclaret

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 am

One Nation Conservatives

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 am

The simple fact is no person should go hungry in this day and age.

A massive well done to all who try and help in anyway they can.
Any positive difference is a step in the right direction.
This user liked this post: Terrybfc

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:01 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am
No , food always found itself on the table regardless of how poor you were
Imagine being so angry about people wanting children not to go hungry over the school holidays! Glad it’s a head I don’t inhabit.
This user liked this post: Terrybfc

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:09 am

No child should ever go hungry for any reason, the one person never to blame is the child.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:09 am
No child should ever go hungry for any reason, the one person never to blame is the child.
What if they lost their dinner money?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:13 am
What if they lost their dinner money?
:D there is always one... then the child should tell the dinner lady to stick it on his/her tab

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 pm
Do you respect what Marcus Rashford is trying to do?
Its possible to respect what Marcus Rushford is trying to do, but still despise some parents who neglect their children.

Those who say it shouldn't happen in this country are quite right. The fact that it does is more down to the failings of parents than the failings of government.
Feeding kids can only be a short term solution, if you want to solve the problem you have to educate the parents, otherwise its just a bottomless pit.
As usual its the innocent kids who pay the price, we all feel sorry for them, but don't let that sympathy blind you to the real problem, or how to resolve it.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:40 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am
Its possible to respect what Marcus Rushford is trying to do, but still despise some parents who neglect their children.

Those who say it shouldn't happen in this country are quite right. The fact that it does is more down to the failings of parents than the failings of government.
Feeding kids can only be a short term solution, if you want to solve the problem you have to educate the parents, otherwise its just a bottomless pit.
As usual its the innocent kids who pay the price, we all feel sorry for them, but don't let that sympathy blind you to the real problem, or how to resolve it.
It is a long term problem that requires long term solutions, but what we’re talking about here is a long term problem exacerbated by a short(ish) term issue, I.e. the pandemic. The same short term issue means that millions of employees and businesses are getting government help so to begrudge that same help to children on free school meals seems perverse.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 am
I tend never to rise to trolls but you are vile.

Ask any teacher, there are hungry kids out there. As a society we have a duty to protect and nourish (with love and with food).

Their parents might be failing, might be actually pretty useless, but imagine if we had a properly funded social services that could deal with that? Oh we don't, I wonder why?

This poverty is a symptom of the society we encourage and who we politically vote for.

I genuinely hope you never feel poverty, but go and spend a day with one of these kids. See how bad it was compared to what you "suffered" (no doubt lies)

Our kids need help and evidently so do you "Elizabeth" and anyone else denying kids a free meal.
Perhaps all those children should be taken into care and be brought up by The State. Given a proper education and 3 meals a day.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3062 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:43 pm
I doubt he actually voted for that.

I think he's saying it should be a short term last resort option, however it's quite clear they are parents out there that expect the state to raise their children for them.

No child should ever go hungry, but also their parents should so everything in their power to make sure that doesnt happen, sadly there are way too many that put themselves before their children.

When does the chain ever break if the plan is to continue to throw money at the parents hoping some trickles down?

Its heartbreaking
Thing is Macca, when it comes down to it, id rather the system be exploited by a few stereotypical Daz and Sharons, if it means no kids go hungry.

You will always get a few **** takers, but to avoid that at the cost of kids going hungry is too high a price imho

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am
Thing is Macca, when it comes down to it, id rather the system be exploited by a few stereotypical Daz and Sharons, if it means no kids go hungry.

You will always get a few **** takers, but to avoid that at the cost of kids going hungry is too high a price imho
Agreed, but let's get a system in place that feeds anyone thats hungry and can be **** taker free.

I think it would actually be better for the economy and allow more meals, and go further than just feeding hungry children. It could feed every vulnerable person.
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:48 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:58 pm
No I’m somebody brought up in hard times where you got what you were given and didn’t complain. There were no d*cks like you telling us we were poor and deprived.
I'd prefer people were able to feed their kids so their kids don't grow up to be twisted peevish bitter old trolls.

Mentioning no names, of course

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 pm
Yeh , like we didn’t have bent politicians then.
At least Profumo had the decency to resign. He'd likely get a slap on the wrist these days

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:58 am

When is his local surgery btw? Could be interesting to see how he responds without his trusty ctrl+c and ctrl+v

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:08 pm
I dont think anyone would choose to see a person starve, it's a case of when it where does it stop.

I see the argument is to give childrens parents the money equivalent of what the usual school meal costs are, which is a great idea, but what if the parent STILL decides not to but that child a meal.
Then surely the system wouldn't be working.

In my opinion, I'd open up certain schools / community centres through the holidays to guarantee ANY hungry family can get a meal.

Throwing hundreds of pounds at a person hoping something trickles down to their child(ren) clearly doesnt work, we can see evidence of that with current benefit system, as houses are still without heating, hot water, children with inappropriate or substandard clothing, food not in cupboards etc.

But politicians or members of the public scoring points and saying there's people out their choosing to watch children starve depending on who you voted for is pretty low.

Tskes a special kind of person to points score with serious matters like this.
Well said, could not agree more.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am

The question i would ask the trolls is, if you let a kid grow up with f**k all, leave it to be abused, at least passively through neglect by a **** parent, just how good would the odds be of it being a good law abiding member of society?

If you don't feed a tomato plant, you get either no, or just really shitty tomatoes.

You really do not need a degree in child psychology or education to realise that to give a kid the fuel they need to be attentive and well-adjusted in school, and in adulthood, is the best investment a government can make.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am
The question i would ask the trolls is, if you let a kid grow up with f**k all, leave it to be abused, at least passively through neglect by a **** parent, just how good would the odds be of it being a good law abiding member of society?

If you don't feed a tomato plant, you get either no, or just really shitty tomatoes.

You really do not need a degree in child psychology or education to realise that to give a kid the fuel they need to be attentive and well-adjusted in school, and in adulthood, is the best investment a government can make.
I think it’s a little kind calling these people trolls, Zizkov. They’re not trolling. They’re just really despicable people without a moral compass. When did these people who ‘had things so tough’ become such a bunch of uncaring individuals?

No doubt I’ll now be accused of wanting the conversation shut down for calling out the gutter dwellers.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 am
I think it’s a little kind calling these people trolls, Zizkov. They’re not trolling. They’re just really despicable people without a moral compass. When did these people who ‘had things so tough’ become such a bunch of uncaring individuals?

No doubt I’ll now be accused of wanting the conversation shut down for calling out the gutter dwellers.
I was thinking Trolls in the Aesop's Fables sense ;)

Proper warty grey / green horrors found under the canal bridge on Liverpool road and under t'culvert :lol:
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 am

Inchy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am
Man of the people Anthony Higginbotham also voted against ensuring those in tier 3 areas received 80% of their salary via the job support scheme.

So Higginbotham is fine with the government handing out 10bn in covid contracts without tender. He’s fine with receiving a pay rise himself. He’s fine with paying 7k a day to a consultancy firm for a failed track and trace system. He’s fine for the tories to hand out 1bn in covid contracts to Tory friends or donors.

But he isn’t fine with ensuring children don’t go hungry.

Man of the people.

Well done people of Burnley. At least you got a oven ready brexit
No doubt he'll be first down the food bank, smiling with a tin of beans for a photo opportunity. Disgusting man.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:19 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 am
No doubt he'll be first down the food bank, smiling with a tin of beans for a photo opportunity. Disgusting man.
He'd have some brass neck to show his face there, dear me

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am

Just when I thought he might be a little different and be able to think for himself, he goes and toes the party line and then tries to put a positive spin on it, whilst blaming the parents in the middle of a pandemic.

A disgraceful decision and he’s just signed his own death wish as MP for Burnley.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:14 am
I was thinking Trolls in the Aesop's Fables sense ;)

Proper warty grey / green horrors found under the canal bridge on Liverpool road and under t'culvert :lol:
I suppose that is the original meaning of the word! :)

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:34 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:02 pm
I keep reading that this isn’t the solution and it’s a sticking plaster. So what? We are in the middle of a pandemic.
Stick the ******* plaster on it.
Absolutely spot on.
These 2 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret Awayfromburnley

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:36 am

I don't know how my local MP (Stephenson) voted. But voting against FSM doesn't sit well with me. They probably think that because we're so far away from the next election, that people will forget. But the longer this drags out, the worse it will look.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:50 am

Murger wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:36 am
I don't know how my local MP (Stephenson) voted. But voting against FSM doesn't sit well with me. They probably think that because we're so far away from the next election, that people will forget. But the longer this drags out, the worse it will look.
I think every non Tory MP voted for free school meals and every Tory barring 4 voted against it. I havent got the 4 names to hand but I believe one was the MP for Colne

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 am

MACCA wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am
Agreed, but let's get a system in place that feeds anyone thats hungry and can be **** taker free.

I think it would actually be better for the economy and allow more meals, and go further than just feeding hungry children. It could feed every vulnerable person.
I doubt many people disagree with this but the question is can this system be in place by Friday?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:05 am

He’s no different to 99% of his fellow Tory colleagues.
Pretends he is a local lad and understands our town because he was born in Haslingden but in truth spent most of his life working in the city as a banker.
I saw him at our local credit union AGM where he was invited as special guest to say some words. This was the AGM for a credit union and the members that attend are about as working class as you would get.
You’d think anyone with a bit of brains and an ounce of respect for where he was would have done some research on the credit union history, what is happening nationally with credit unions etc
but no....this pr-ick decided to do is speech on Brexit and this was only in early March this year. Not surprisingly he and his speech went down like a fart in a spacesuit.

These guys are so far removed from the real world and he is no different. He’s bothered about only one thing - his career...and that is why he took the stance he did on this issue.

Oh and whilst this is irrelevant I’ll say it anyway cos I can’t stand the bloke - he definitely looks like he’s a resident of Royston Vasey !
Last edited by TVC15 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:50 am
I think every non Tory MP voted for free school meals and every Tory barring 4 voted against it. I havent got the 4 names to hand but I believe one was the MP for Colne
Just checked, Stephenson voted against it. Bellend.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am

MACCA wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am

History shows that would cost more to implement than the savings it would bring. That is what the government always say when you bring rules and criteria into any welfare type system. Have a look at the overspend for Universal Credit and how many years behind they are - it’s staggering and it’s still not been finished.

There is a simple solution here - do the right thing and provide the help during the pandemic. If a few people get something they don’t deserve that’s no different to how a lot of our benefits system works. You do these things to help the majority and just have to suck it up with those who abuse it.

For those people on this thread saying that child poverty is not an issue and bringing out your own childhood or the stereotypes around benefit claimants let’s hope there is some karma delivered for yourselves in the very near future. Let’s see how independent and self serving you are then.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:16 am

1HappyClaret wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 pm
Firstly you couldn’t plan for this pandemic and insurance are not paying out on COVID related claims so if you have not worked for 9 months and don’t qualify for any of the schemes that were set up then can you tell me how you feed your family. Mortgage, rent, council tax, utilities are all after their money.

You need to wake up and look around you because something you take for granted in your Tory cosy lifestyle will suddenly not be here and you won’t be able to work out wharpts gone wrong.
Whatever virus or no virus, in life it's always a sensible policy to save & pay ahead & avoid accruing debt it doesn't take einstein to work that 1 out, during the pandemic help as always been available whether employed or self employed, nobody needed to struggle a safety net cushioned any Covid related losses, I'm choosing to ignore the comment regarding my personal political preferences as I'm only willing to debate at a higher level.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 am

Is this guy actually from Burnley ? Or from somewhere like Burnley?

He sounds so out of touch with the demographic that he is supposed to represent and be a champion of.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:21 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am
Just when I thought he might be a little different and be able to think for himself, he goes and toes the party line and then tries to put a positive spin on it, whilst blaming the parents in the middle of a pandemic.

A disgraceful decision and he’s just signed his own death wish as MP for Burnley.
Oh he's a toe the line MP alright. He said Cummings acted reasonably when he went on his lockdown tour of England. Higginbotham's press release sounded like a copy & paste job right out of central office. Made me realise he's the kind of MP who is willing to put his career before commonsense and his constituents.

He knows he's most likely to be a one hit wonder here in Burnley. Probably looking at the long term and that safe Tory seat selection meeting.

His support won't play well with many who voted for him. Most Burnley folk aren't the kind of people who want to see children go hungry. By the way, MPs are set to receive a £3,300 pay rise.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 am

Just checked his Tw##ter account, was far more concerned about the "s c u m" comment yesterday than hungry children. Truly got his priorities right, scumbag.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:39 am

Before I make a comment, I would like to know what a family or single mother entitled to free meals receives in income per week. That is including any rent and council tax relief etc then I will decide if it is parental responsibility or the benefits system.

If you just give more income will that reach the child?

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am
Perhaps all those children should be taken into care and be brought up by The State. Given a proper education and 3 meals a day.
Nope.

Partly the state doesn't want to know, but mainly as it is obviously not the right solution.

Which bit of the fact that there are genuinely hungry kids out there do you not believe?

Is that all down to bad parents who spend it on ciggies and booze? Answer is no.

Where has empathy gone in this world?

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:51 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:39 am
Before I make a comment, I would like to know what a family or single mother entitled to free meals receives in income per week. That is including any rent and council tax relief etc then I will decide if it is parental responsibility or the benefits system.

If you just give more income will that reach the child?
Did someone remove your access to google?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:55 am

He's got this badly wrong, but hey, we get nice new blue passports, so it'll all be worth it in the end.

:roll:

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am

Not too sure about the death wish. The local labour party will put forward another useless candidate who ticks a few of the required boxes get ready for a disabled female Asian transsexual.
In the 60's/70's who would have thought Labour would lose Burnley not once but twice.It takes a candidate with the ability of Kitty Usher or Julie Cooper to achieve the almost unachievable.
Raving Loony Party please put up a candidategive us someone to vote for.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am

Part of me wonders if Campbell might put his money where his mouth is. It would certainly give the town a higher profile, for better or for worse.....

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am
Nope.

Partly the state doesn't want to know, but mainly as it is obviously not the right solution.

Which bit of the fact that there are genuinely hungry kids out there do you not believe?

Is that all down to bad parents who spend it on ciggies and booze? Answer is no.

Where has empathy gone in this world?
I'm sure there are genuinely parents who have cut expenditure to the bone and they still do not have any pennies left to feed there children. But I am by no means sure that there are millions of them.

According to one survey there are 820,000 children forced to skip breakfast because parents are struggling to put food on the table. How many of those children are from families that genuinely cannot afford 10p for a bowl of porridge or two slices of toast? How many of them are from families who have other priorities? How many of them are from families with no financial nous who need financial advice, not begging bowls? How many are from families who can't be bothered?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/o ... ol-2269726

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:09 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am
I'm sure there are genuinely parents who have cut expenditure to the bone and they still do not have any pennies left to feed there children. But I am by no means sure that there are millions of them.

According to one survey there are 820,000 children forced to skip breakfast because parents are struggling to put food on the table. How many of those children are from families that genuinely cannot afford 10p for a bowl of porridge or two slices of toast? How many of them are from families who have other priorities? How many of them are from families with no financial nous who need financial advice, not begging bowls? How many are from families who can't be bothered?

How much of that matters when it comes to making sure children don’t go hungry over the school holidays?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:15 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:51 am
Did someone remove your access to google?
Thanks for the advice, I just googled a notional Benefit claim for a single mother with 3 children and she would get £399.67 a week made up of £336.67 Universal Credit, £15.05 Council Tax support and £48.95 child benefits.

Assuming Rent of say £125 per week that would leave £274.67 a week to pay for remainder of Council Tax and Utilities.

Looking at what she has left per week after paying for essentials bills she should be able to feed her children an run a household , so as I now know the facts I would have sided with the Govt

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:28 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am

What does it matter whether they can afford it or not ? - the point is that they choose not to feed their children and let them go to school hungry.
I know of a school in Fleetwood that I have dealt with - it’s a secondary school with a very high percentage of children from deprived background, single parent families etc. The teachers have told me that when many of the kids turn up on Monday morning the first thing the school do is feed them with some breakfast because they are pretty sure that the kids have had little or nothing to eat since the last time they saw them on Friday. Without getting something inside them they tell me that there would be little point in starting lessons as there is no way the kids could focus.
These are often kids with real sh-its as parents - but that is not their fault. How do you ever get those kids out of the cycle of their really difficult lives without feeding them and trying to get them an education etc ?

And all the statistics show that this type of scenario exists across many towns and inner cities.

Yes we could punish the parents etc but in the real world who is going to do that ?
The police who have had all their resources slashed in the last 10 years and now have to do the job of the support services that have been abolished in the cuts aswell as their own job ?
Social services or other support services ? No chance - they are more stretched than ever and many don’t even exist anymore.
The schools ? They don’t have the resource or power to do anything other than report issues they suspect with a child - which they already do.

All Rashford is doing is asking for something which temporarily makes an absolutely sh-itty life for these children a little less sh-it for the next few months.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:15 am
Thanks for the advice, I just googled a notional Benefit claim for a single mother with 3 children and she would get £399.67 a week made up of £336.67 Universal Credit, £15.05 Council Tax support and £48.95 child benefits.

Assuming Rent of say £125 per week that would leave £274.67 a week to pay for remainder of Council Tax and Utilities.

Looking at what she has left per week after paying for essentials bills she should be able to feed her children an run a household , so as I now know the facts I would have sided with the Govt
And in the 5 week average period where she would would be waiting to receive Universal Credit?

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:38 am

TVC15

I am in agreement with feeding the children and that is why I supported the LIB Dem initiative of free school meals for all KS1 children which incidentally the Tories under May were wanting to cut until the got the backlash.

The main issue is to get these children out of poverty altogether so that their children will not be in the same scenario. Personally I would have had more respect for Marcus Rashford if he had said that for these children we should look at Summer Schools and extra learning to catch up what they have lost and including in that would come a free meal.

When I looked at what a Single Mother with three kids receive just giving them a meal voucher isn’t going to change things.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 am

Not sure if I've missed it... but has he said why?
You'd like to think that if somebody voted against it, it was because they believed there was a better solution, and if that is the case, what was the proposal? If that was given then people would have the opportunity to question, disagree or agree with that rather than accuse any member or voter of a political party of wanting children to starve... and call them ugly.

Constantly handing out money isn't sustainable, and probably only works for those who wished they didn't need it in the first place (and I'm not saying wished they were rich, I mean are embarrassed to require it despite their best efforts). The system is only broken because it is abused. How to fix that problem is an answer I don't have, especially when some expect to rely on the state rather than unfortunately need it.

On the other hand, if he has no proposals, and doesn't care, then he deserves all the abuse he gets. But it's unfair to label everybody with the same brush. Both tories all being evil and the poor all being sponges.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:42 am

JTClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:39 am
Not sure if I've missed it... but has he said why?
You'd like to think that if somebody voted against it, it was because they believed there was a better solution, and if that is the case, what was the proposal? If that was given then people would have the opportunity to question, disagree or agree with that rather than accuse any member or voter of a political party of wanting children to starve... and call them ugly.

Constantly handing out money isn't sustainable, and probably only works for those who wished they didn't need it in the first place (and I'm not saying wished they were rich, I mean are embarrassed to require it despite their best efforts). The system is only broken because it is abused. How to fix that problem is an answer I don't have, especially when some expect to rely on the state rather than unfortunately need it.

On the other hand, if he has no proposals, and doesn't care, then he deserves all the abuse he gets. But it's unfair to label everybody with the same brush. Both tories all being evil and the poor all being sponges.
He does how he is told, like a good bootlicker. From Cummings' Durham jaunt to this, he won't be taking the side of his constituents.

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am
And in the 5 week average period where she would would be waiting to receive Universal Credit?
Are we assuming those new to claims?

If so these are the ones I really feel sorry for, I know that they can get an advance but unsure of circumstances around that.

I made the assumption that she was already in the system and that is why for that scenario I don’t have much sympathy.

Marcus Rashford was calling for the scheme to be extended to all children