Anthony Higginbotham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Re: Anthony Higginbotham

Post by Stayingup » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 pm
But at present there about 3 million people (freelancers and many self-employed), who haven't been able to earn a penny since March and have not been entitled to a penny in support from the govt.
They are getting by on minimal level benefits.
Not their fault that they are prevented from working by a virus.
The fault lies with a communist government and its economy is again booming. Astounding.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:34 pm
I really dont like the idea of attacking Higginbothan for things like his appearance. It is his reprehensible actions we should be focusing on as this vote and what the Tory govt are saying through it is very serious
To be honest, neither do I. But I thought I’d google him and I thought the likeness was uncanny.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Don't the government enjoy cira 8 million quid in subsidised meals per annum currently?
Last edited by THEWELLERNUT70 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 pm
Youre falling for the same media tropes that they use for benefits claimants and migrants where they get you to focus on the absolute exceptions of system abuse whist ignoring the majority of good people in genuine need who require the help we are easily in a position to provide
I just need "big tellies" for my bingo card

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 pm
To be honest, neither do I. But I thought I’d google him and I thought the likeness was uncanny.
Yep I get it and Im a fine one to talk with the way I post sometimes but you can see the Tory Sc*m on here itching to sidetrack and deflect so I think its best just to keep on point and let them show themselves up for who they are

This thread will become the usual right wing toilet soon and a good chance it will need to get pulled eventually
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 pm
But at present there about 3 million people (freelancers and many self-employed), who haven't been able to earn a penny since March and have not been entitled to a penny in support from the govt.
They are getting by on minimal level benefits.
Not their fault that they are prevented from working by a virus.
Exactly how the f**k are people supposed to survive on benefits when they still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

And even those who are technically still employed and eligible for governement assistance if their business or employers are closed are expected to live on 2/3 rds of their normal income whilst paying all the usual outgoings.

I'd love for our MP'S to manage on 2/3 rds of their salary, blimey! the PM can't even manage on 150k a year.

This just shows how out of touch most of them really are, and the Tories will pay the price in 2024, especially in the red wall seats.

I can only apologise for voting for these parasites, well I won't make that mistake again.

And on the one thing they were mainly elected on, i.e brexit they can't even make that a success.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:47 pm

You would think it would have gotten voted in when Labour were in power, if it was just political.

I certainly want every child to have access to all the food they need.

But there's a few points.

There's probably more kids over fed than under fed in this country.
We don't need the 3 meals a day the system has ingrained on us.
Clearing your plate doesn't make you a good child it makes you overweight.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:58 pm

No I’m somebody brought up in hard times where you got what you were given and didn’t complain. There were no d*cks like you telling us we were poor and deprived.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:58 pm
No I’m somebody brought up in hard times where you got what you were given and didn’t complain. There were no d*cks like you telling us we were poor and deprived.
You’ve clearly grown up very angry.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Martin, the day you post something useful is the day we will all be saved.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 pm
Do you respect what Marcus Rashford is trying to do?
Whilst Rashford no doubt has honourable intentions, his life is played out in a parallel universe where he and his colleagues are paid millions of pounds each year to kick a ball around.

If he were to sit in a Social Services Child Care Conference and hear about the amount of publicly funded resources pumped into 'problem families ' he would gain a different perspective.
I'm talking about dysfunctional 'families ', these may include one or more parents who are supported by a myriad of social workers, and additional funding which is targeted at the children (but more likely directly benefits parents).

And why is this? It's because the parent( s) see the children as emotional bargaining tools and cash cows as Social Workers find every way possible to keep families together and prevent children from entering the fostering system.

And this even when parents have very little interest in their children, preferring instead to sit in front of a large tv set every day, peering through a base of thick cigarette smoke watchng daytime tv or playing out their lives with 'friends' they may have never actually met on Facebook, using equipment supplied by...yes, you've guessed it, Social Services. For many this is a very lucrative funding stream, separate to, and on top of their benefit payments.
Marcus Rashford take note.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:05 pm
Martin, the day you post something useful is the day we will all be saved.
Hope you find this useful.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-a ... ing-anger/
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:10 pm

Billyblah wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 pm
Whilst Rashford no doubt has honourable intentions, his life is played out in a parallel universe where he and his colleagues are paid millions of pounds each year to kick a ball around.

If he were to sit in a Social Services Child Care Conference and hear about the amount of publicly funded resources pumped into 'problem families ' he would gain a different perspective.
I'm talking about dysfunctional 'families ', these may include one or more parents who are supported by a myriad of social workers, and additional funding which is targeted at the children (but more likely directly benefits parents).

And why is this? It's because the parent( s) see the children as emotional bargaining tools and cash cows as Social Workers find every way possible to keep families together and prevent children from entering the fostering system.

And this even when parents have very little interest in their children, preferring instead to sit in front of a large tv set every day, peering through a base of thick cigarette smoke watchng daytime tv or playing out their lives with 'friends' they may have never actually met on Facebook, using equipment supplied by...yes, you've guessed it, Social Services. For many this is a very lucrative funding stream, separate to, and on top of their benefit payments.
Marcus Rashford take note.
Rashford has been there done that, he wasn’t born a millionaire.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 pm

You were a loser on the brexit and general election threads so why would I open any link you would post.

1HappyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by 1HappyClaret » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm
That’s basically how I see things, you bring children into this world you need to provide for them or wear contraception, people can blame the virus but you need to plan & think ahead & prepare yourself for all eventualities being a responsible parent, it’s only the same as being off work on long term sick you cover yourself with insurance or dip into your savings or find alternative employment unaffected by the virus.
Firstly you couldn’t plan for this pandemic and insurance are not paying out on COVID related claims so if you have not worked for 9 months and don’t qualify for any of the schemes that were set up then can you tell me how you feed your family. Mortgage, rent, council tax, utilities are all after their money.

You need to wake up and look around you because something you take for granted in your Tory cosy lifestyle will suddenly not be here and you won’t be able to work out wharpts gone wrong.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 pm
You were a loser on the brexit and general election threads so why would I open any link you would post.
Deep breathing, count to ten with me 1....2....3....4.....

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 pm

I find the Labour tactics at this time a bit unedifying.

It seems they have decided to politicise the pandemic, by arguing with the government over everything and with the eventual end game of forcing the PM from office. That then opening the door to an election win in a few years.

I would question which of the parties are using these disadvantaged kids as a political football.

On a more ethical note, I see the entitlement culture as doing these kids no long term favours whatsoever. Genuine poverty should be helped, and FSM are crucial, but I’m not sure about this and what message it would have sent. White kids on FSM are currently the worst performing demographic in the country, only 12% go to university (boys), we have to overturn that statistic, enhancing a sense of entitlement won’t do it. I don’t support this Labour motion, but I would support forcing the Chancellor (who I’m not a fan of) to increase his support package for anyone with decreasing income due to the pandemic (a far bigger funding rise than FSM), that compensates families for things that happen for no fault of their own but doesn’t hand out extra even to those unaffected. Come on Labour, choose the battles more wisely.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Siddo wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:27 pm
This post tells me two things; that people will back this government, the worst in living memory, no matter what they do; and that Jakubclaret is a bit thick
A bit ?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 pm
I find the Labour tactics at this time a bit unedifying.

It seems they have decided to politicise the pandemic, by arguing with the government over everything and with the eventual end game of forcing the PM from office. That then opening the door to an election win in a few years.

I would question which of the parties are using these disadvantaged kids as a political football.

On a more ethical note, I see the entitlement culture as doing these kids no long term favours whatsoever. Genuine poverty should be helped, and FSM are crucial, but I’m not sure about this and what message it would have sent. White kids on FSM are currently the worst performing demographic in the country, only 12% go to university (boys), we have to overturn that statistic, enhancing a sense of entitlement won’t do it. I don’t support this Labour motion, but I would support forcing the Chancellor (who I’m not a fan of) to increase his support package for anyone with decreasing income due to the pandemic (a far bigger funding rise than FSM), that compensates families for things that happen for no fault of their own but doesn’t hand out extra even to those unaffected. Come on Labour, choose the battles more wisely.
But the government supported the extension of free school meals over the summer holidays (eventually) because of the pandemic, why is it unreasonable for people to want them to be extended to future holidays while we’re still in the same situation?
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:33 pm
That’s basically how I see things, you bring children into this world you need to provide for them or wear contraception, people can blame the virus but you need to plan & think ahead & prepare yourself for all eventualities being a responsible parent, it’s only the same as being off work on long term sick you cover yourself with insurance or dip into your savings or find alternative employment unaffected by the virus.
Frightening stuff
This is from the guy who thinks the public should vote on the sentence given to criminals.

Living in your head must be one weird place. I just hope to god that all these bat sh-it crazy stuff you come out with is all in your head and you don’t Interact with any kind of real people.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Why do we even pay taxes if not to use them to...*checks notes*...help feed hungry children during a plague?

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:33 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 pm
What don’t you understand about there is no reason kids need to starve today.
Your sort are either solely politically motivated or have never had to be brought up in hard times
We are in the midst of a global pandemic that has already caused huge job losses and will likely cause many more not to mention the loss of lives and impact on people's health. Many people are really going to be suffering for a long time through no fault of their own. Would you not say we are living in hard times now?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Some worrying comments on here from the usual suspects.

Here's a thought though... How many of those cheering on the Tories, for denying poor children free school meals, during the holidays, are the same folk who tell anyone who will listen that we should stop foreign aid, let refugees drown etc and all because we should be "looking after our own first"?
This user liked this post: SammyBoy

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:39 pm

Why do people go on about living in hard times in the past as though it's acceptable to live through that now?
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 pm

Narcissistic egocentrism.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 pm

The answer to that is that when you did live through those periods and have to listen to the society of entitlement there is today you feel contempt.
We survived those difficult times and I suggest those that are in difficult times now tighten their belts and find some old fashioned ways to feed themselves

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 pm
The answer to that is that when you did live through those periods and have to listen to the society of entitlement there is today you feel contempt.
We survived those difficult times and I suggest those that are in difficult times now tighten their belts and find some old fashioned ways to feed themselves
Cannibalism?
This user liked this post: Greenmile

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 pm
Preaching about self entitlement on a decision taken by tory politicians... wow!

:o

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Why? It's not the olden days anymore. It's 2020 the age of abundance and mass food production. No one should be going hungry. We should provide. It's literally that simple.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm
Know much money does Rashford need. He could donate £4m a year a still have plenty. Rather than let some political group run his Twitter he should put his money where his mouth is.
You have to be taking the **** here.

He's put more time and effort into this than many other opposers of the gov.
He'd done a wonderful thing and it's even more impressive that he's carrying it on.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Old people whinging that life was crap in the 60s so kids today must suffer too.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Yeh , like we didn’t have bent politicians then.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:57 pm

I thought life was so much better back in the day anyway?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 am

It was good , fewer expectations

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:04 am

What, like expecting to have food?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am

No , food always found itself on the table regardless of how poor you were

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:08 am

Do you realise you're talking to Ringo, C&J? Look at the space before the commas. Look at the odd mention of Brexit further up. Look at the sharp response to martin_p. It's his second account. Why anyone talks to him is beyond me.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:10 am

You think too profoundly

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 am

‘ look at the space before the commas’

If that’s not someone desperate for association nothing is

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 am

That's something Ringo would say.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 am

What I can't understand is the article on one of the news programmes tonight about breakfast clubs for children because their parents can't afford to give them breakfast. They go to breakfast club and have a slice of toast.

A slice of bread costs 4p. Put some cheap jam on it, 5p. What sort of parents can't afford 5p to feed their child? Are there really millions of parents who are down to their last fourpence?

Or what about evening meals? My Sainsbury's shop has arrived. A chicken for £3, 1 kg of new potatoes for £1, a bag of carrots for 40p, a parsnip for 30p (I think), Yorkshire puddings 24 for £1. £6 for enough food to feed a family of four on a roast chicken dinner, a chicken shepherd's pie, chicken broth. Three meals for four people for £6. 50p per meal.

Food is not expensive. I can believe in some people can't afford, but not millions. Can it be true that there are children who have internet access at home and can't afford food?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 am

No that’s something any person with any intelligence would say.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:16 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 am
No that’s something any person with any intelligence would say.
Praising your own intellect. Classic Ringo.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 am

Spiral, where have you been this past year ?
First mention of Ringo since 2019. Could it just be a case that you don’t like what I’m posting tonight? Like you didn’t like what I posted on the Brexit and General Election debates.
There are a group of apologists who come on threads like this, quite a few of them again tonight.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 am

I'm just keeping you honest, Ringo, don't overthink it.

And don't be so conceited to believe it's your actual views - which are utterly unoriginal by this forum's standards - which had me piqued and prompted me to respond. I read posts from plenty of folks on here who are full of $hit. I'm just reminding folks that the expectation of sincerity from you is one held in vain.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:14 am

You got me. We both put full stops at the end of sentences.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 am

Well I dont understand why some people are upset by a Tory doing what Tories do, screwing the most vulnerable.
It's a great thing Marcus Rashford is doing, trying to alert people to child poverty and no one should be obstructing the right to a decent standard of living and certainly not an overpaid, highly privileged MP

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:17 am

How much food is wasted in this country? If you consider what the supermarkets, fast food outlets and restaurants must throw away because of the sell by date you could do a lot of good with that. Organisation and distribution of this perfectly good food at a local level to help the needy would go a long way to feeding hungry kids.
I’ve seen shopping trolleys in supermarkets with a sign asking customers to donate a tin of soup etc to support some cause or other whilst at the goods-in door round the back they are probably dumping tonnes every week.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:28 am

Imagine not treating a new born for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Why should we spend the thousands it costs to treat that because it’s not my fault the mother decided to take heroin? We should let the child die instead.

That’s basically what people are saying here when they blame the parents
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies ZizkovClaret Greenmile

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am
No , food always found itself on the table regardless of how poor you were
I tend never to rise to trolls but you are vile.

Ask any teacher, there are hungry kids out there. As a society we have a duty to protect and nourish (with love and with food).

Their parents might be failing, might be actually pretty useless, but imagine if we had a properly funded social services that could deal with that? Oh we don't, I wonder why?

This poverty is a symptom of the society we encourage and who we politically vote for.

I genuinely hope you never feel poverty, but go and spend a day with one of these kids. See how bad it was compared to what you "suffered" (no doubt lies)

Our kids need help and evidently so do you "Elizabeth" and anyone else denying kids a free meal.