Well run gyms vs well run pubs...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Well run gyms vs well run pubs...

Post by Mala591 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Well run/managed gyms are to be allowed to stay open as they are deemed to be important for maintaining good physical health - I agree.

Well run/managed pubs are imo extremely important in maintaining good mental health and should also have been allowed to stay open.

Covid transmission via pub contacts has been estimated to be 3% of total transmissions which (to me) is an acceptable level of risk to gain social/mental health benefits.

Conclusion - Well managed pubs with responsible customers (ALL customers to use Covid app and QR scan on admission and exit) should be reopened.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Well run gyms vs well run pubs...

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Gyms have the advantage of full membership registration details - much harder for pubs is my guess at a contribution to the logic

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Absolutely.
We've five pubs in our village, four have followed the guidance to the letter and beyond, one recived a warning for disregarding it and, found guilty a second time, has had its licence revoked.
That's the way to do it.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 pm

A good well managed pub will stay open like the Fence gate.
A free cheese sandwich will be provided with your pint.

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:19 pm

I have a great deal of sympathy with pubs who have made themselves as safe as they can . Unfortunately you can not legislate for the stupidity of some customers at turning out time as we have seen in Liverpool.
This user liked this post: bobinho

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:21 pm

A pub can be well managed all it wants it's alcohol that's the problems.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho Burnley Ace

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:47 pm
Well run/managed gyms are to be allowed to stay open as they are deemed to be important for maintaining good physical health - I agree.

Well run/managed pubs are imo extremely important in maintaining good mental health and should also have been allowed to stay open.

Covid transmission via pub contacts has been estimated to be 3% of total transmissions which (to me) is an acceptable level of risk to gain social/mental health benefits.

Conclusion - Well managed pubs with responsible customers (ALL customers to use Covid app and QR scan on admission and exit) should be reopened.
What is absolutely insane about all this is the lack of common sense.

Just went for a coffee in town. Absolutely ram packed. Yet Turf Moor matchday which would put in far stricter measures and checks is closed.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:07 pm

that said on the pubs it doesnt surprise me. On day one of them reopening I walked past two pubs. Both absolutely rammed with no rules being followed. One of which is a 'well respected' pub. Naturally they are now pi55ed off at being closed again. But you can't help but think many of them havent helped themselves.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Just went for a coffee in town. Absolutely ram packed. Yet Turf Moor matchday which would put in far stricter measures and checks is closed.
Imo the only way to currently allow fans back at a reduced capacity is to do it only if pubs are closed. But that wouldn’t make any sense whatsoever economically.

I keep seeing fan accounts, footballers, chairmans, managers accounts etc etc posting pictures of theatres, cinemas saying if this is allowed way isn’t football, it’s outside. There’s so much more to it than fans sitting in their seats in the open air. The reason I say pubs should be shut is if they were open and you have 5,000 on the turf, pubs across Burnley will be showing the game with fans not having tickets meeting mates with tickets before and after so they can get a bit of that match day feeling back. It’d be absolute manic. There’s also the travelling, concourse etc that won’t be easy to sort either.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Imo the only way to currently allow fans back at a reduced capacity is to do it only if pubs are closed. But that wouldn’t make any sense whatsoever economically.

I keep seeing fan accounts, footballers, chairmans, managers accounts etc etc posting pictures of theatres, cinemas saying if this is allowed way isn’t football, it’s outside. There’s so much more to it than fans sitting in their seats in the open air. The reason I say pubs should be shut is if they were open and you have 5,000 on the turf, pubs across Burnley will be showing the game with fans not having tickets meeting mates with tickets before and after so they can get a bit of that match day feeling back. It’d be absolute manic. There’s also the travelling, concourse etc that won’t be easy to sort either.
I agree logistically it will be difficult. But not impossible. Perhaps clubs could organise some form of covid compliant park and ride scheme.

Pubs showing games are only going to be as full as they are showing games now, surely?!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:22 pm
I agree logistically it will be difficult. But not impossible. Perhaps clubs could organise some form of covid compliant park and ride scheme.

Pubs showing games are only going to be as full as they are showing games now, surely?!
That could work. But tbh, a limit on 5,000 probably wouldn’t be to bad in reality.

Possibly cfc. I can imagine though they’ll be groups that go on together that won’t all get tickets. Reading one if threads about missing the turf, it seems more fans miss the actual build up and post match more than the actual match itself. They could still have the pint and pie with their pals in the miners, watch the game whilst a few go on the turf and then meet up afterwards. I can imagine quite a lot wanting to do it. Plus talking points wise it’ll be interesting because some would have the “live” view and some with the bonus of replays etc.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 pm

I struggle to get the furore about Pubs being closed early or closed for another 4 weeks.

There definitely is an unhealthy booze culture all around the Country. I enjoy a beer when I go out, especially match days but don't drink in the house apart from maybe a glass of bubbly on Christmas Day.

Pubs have no relevance to my mental wellbeing whatsoever, I think they may contribute to mental health issues for some people though and that isn't directed at anyone on here but society in general.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 pm
That could work. But tbh, a limit on 5,000 probably wouldn’t be to bad in reality.

Possibly cfc. I can imagine though they’ll be groups that go on together that won’t all get tickets. Reading one if threads about missing the turf, it seems more fans miss the actual build up and post match more than the actual match itself. They could still have the pint and pie with their pals in the miners, watch the game whilst a few go on the turf and then meet up afterwards. I can imagine quite a lot wanting to do it. Plus talking points wise it’ll be interesting because some would have the “live” view and some with the bonus of replays etc.
Its a fair point and no easy answer.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:44 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 pm
I struggle to get the furore about Pubs being closed early or closed for another 4 weeks.

There definitely is an unhealthy booze culture all around the Country. I enjoy a beer when I go out, especially match days but don't drink in the house apart from maybe a glass of bubbly on Christmas Day.

Pubs have no relevance to my mental wellbeing whatsoever, I think they may contribute to mental health issues for some people though and that isn't directed at anyone on here but society in general.
Thats true and I am similar. BUT you have to think about the people who run their pubs Whatever your view - this is their life!

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm

For me going to the gym has as many mental health benefits as it does physical, and I think a lot of other gym goers find it an effective way of managing stress and anxiety. I definitely felt much worse for not going to the gym when they were all shut during full lockdown and I'm really thankful they're still open now.

Don't get me wrong I love a pint as much as the next person, but I'd shut pubs before the gym any day.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:44 pm
Thats true and I am similar. BUT you have to think about the people who run their pubs Whatever your view - this is their life!
Feel sorry for them but not for pub goers if that makes sense?

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:54 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm
For me going to the gym has as many mental health benefits as it does physical, and I think a lot of other gym goers find it an effective way of managing stress and anxiety. I definitely felt much worse for not going to the gym when they were all shut during full lockdown and I'm really thankful they're still open now.

Don't get me wrong I love a pint as much as the next person, but I'd shut pubs before the gym any day.
I have been doing Cardiac Rehab at Padiham and feel great afterwards. I allowed my membership to lapse during lockdown but understand they have a strict booking system and time limits. Something that wouldn't happen in a pub. Also a personal bugbear of mine is handwashing and despite a National campaign it is still very alien to many pub goers of all age groups even post lockdown.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 pm
A good well managed pub will stay open like the Fence gate.
A free cheese sandwich will be provided with your pint.
The Venue in Colne started doing pie and peas in an effort to stay open but after someone grassed them up they had a visit from the police last Saturdsy night. They've since decided to close.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:27 pm

From a selfish perspective closing pubs doesn’t affect me, although I do like a pint or three on a match day. I can totally empathise with pub workers and those who see it as their only chance to socially interact with others.

It’s proven though, that when you work out it releases endorphins which reduce pain and give you a feel good response. Having a few drinks gives you a similar feeling at first, but alcohol is a depressant and the negatives can often out weigh the positives.

I suppose it depends which gym you go to, but from my experience gym goers are fitter and possibly healthier in the first place, are more in control of their actions than someone in a pub after a few beers, and more respectful to other users in sanitising equipment after use.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:33 pm
The Venue in Colne started doing pie and peas in an effort to stay open but after someone grassed them up they had a visit from the police last Saturdsy night. They've since decided to close.
Yeah I read about that.

Fence Gate have said Pendle council have agreed to the cheese sandwich so I don't know why Pie and peas isn't ok.
Any councillors claiming pie and peas isn't substantial want kicking In the spuds. Multiple times.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:10 pm

JohnMac wrote:

That might be fine for you John but there are plenty of people who live alone in this country who nip to a pub for their social life.

Society has to work for everyone.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:30 pm

JohnMac wrote:

Pubs are meeting places, often for otherwise isolated people. Very important for mental well - being.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm
Yeah I read about that.

Fence Gate have said Pendle council have agreed to the cheese sandwich so I don't know why Pie and peas isn't ok.
Any councillors claiming pie and peas isn't substantial want kicking In the spuds. Multiple times.
The Venue say they've decided to close rather than being forced. The Crown further down the road do food but they've decided to close as it just wasn't worth their while staying open. Sad times.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2897 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm
Yeah I read about that.

The Cheese Sandwich rule comes from the Timmons case in 1960 which was establishing what constituted a “substantial meal” for the purposes of staying open late. It’s actually a cheese sandwich with pickle and beetroot - pie and is a substantial meal and no one would claim otherwise.

As has been mentioned elsewhere the purpose is to allow a drink with your meal, rather than a meal with your drinks. All these schemes are just trying to get round the main purpose of the regulations!!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:05 pm

I was at a birthday do at a well respected pub in the town and 5 tested positive for COVID the following week, all is good until the 5/6th pint and everyone forgets the rules (most by choice)
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:13 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm

I love both but if I had to choose, purely from a selfish point of view it would be to shut the pubs, I’ve been to the gym 52 times since they re opened according to my gym app, it’s part of my routine now and is the only thing that keeps me going.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:19 pm

I'd shut both.
but my preference would be to shut the pubs; it's not about how well or badly they are run, it's about the behaviour of people after a few too many.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:27 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:19 pm
I'd shut both.
but my preference would be to shut the pubs; it's not about how well or badly they are run, it's about the behaviour of people after a few too many.
Why shut a gym though? Everyone gives each other a wide birth, masks when walking around, machines shut off to maintain 2m distance, everyone cleans machine down after use, changing rooms more or less a no go etc honestly you’d be surprised, it’s an absolute ball ache having to do it, but everyone does, in a strange way everyone’s that paranoid nobody makes eye contact :lol:

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:27 pm
Why shut a gym though? Everyone gives each other a wide birth, masks when walking around, machines shut off to maintain 2m distance, everyone cleans machine down after use, changing rooms more or less a no go etc honestly you’d be surprised, it’s an absolute ball ache having to do it, but everyone does, in a strange way everyone’s that paranoid nobody makes eye contact :lol:
I'd shut everything non-essential, much as I can see the benefit of gyms.
I was a regular until March.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Keeping people fit and healthy is one of the most important treatments for this and various other illnesses.

Even though I don’t have a gym membership myself, there are tonnes of other social places if close before gyms.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Keeping people fit and healthy is one of the most important treatments for this and various other illnesses.

Even though I don’t have a gym membership myself, there are tonnes of other social places if close before gyms.
Exactly.
We are responsible for our health. Anyone can find a workout on line to follow at home, or just go out to a park and keep reasonably fit.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 pm
Exactly.
We are responsible for our health. Anyone can find a workout on line to follow at home, or just go out to a park and keep reasonably fit.
I understand the point you’re making. But for people who work from home as I do, cabin fever is probably sending them insane enough without doing their excercise there as well as eating, sleeping, drinking, working...

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:01 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 pm
I understand the point you’re making. But for people who work from home as I do, cabin fever is probably sending them insane enough without doing their excercise there as well as eating, sleeping, drinking, working...
Yeah, I can pound the streets but it’s difficult when you start work at 8 and finish at 5 in the winter, I could do it but I wouldn’t want my Mrs our running in the dark.

A good friend has the main personal training in Burnley and has worked his nuts off for it, I see the work he has put in over the last 10 years to try and keep it going and I’d really feel for him, I watched a video recently which talked you through everything they had done to keep customers safe, if that was lost over this I’d be gutted for him because it’s completely unnecessary

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 pm
Apparently, walking at either sunrise or sunset (or both) is particularly good for us.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 pm
Apparently, walking at either sunrise or sunset (or both) is particularly good for us.
Don’t disagree I love both.

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:18 am

They should let Gyms serve beer, problem solved.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:33 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:51 pm
Absolutely.
We've five pubs in our village, four have followed the guidance to the letter and beyond, one recived a warning for disregarding it and, found guilty a second time, has had its licence revoked.
That's the way to do it.
5 pubs in a village 😁 that must be some village . 👍

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:54 pm

5 pubs and 6 churches.