Android TV boxes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Android TV boxes

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Does anyone know a good but relatively cheap one to buy?

I will then look for guidance on how it can be used effectively.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Android TV boxes

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:13 pm

My t95z plus is pretty old now but if its just for streaming football its still decent and well priced. To be honest your internet speed, bandwidth and how good you wifi in your home is will have a bigger impact than your box

I have a smart TV so I just have downloaded the Kodi and IPTV Smarters apps on to it and no longer use my android box as I get a faster wifi connection and therefore a better picture with no buffering direct from my Smart TV

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm

I bought a fire cube last week for IPTV (could always get the fire stick, which is less). It’s decent quality pictures (not HD perfect but pretty decent) and nice and easy to use.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:43 pm

The Amazon Fire stick is cheap and does a perfectly good job of streaming football, Netflix etc.They start at £29.99

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:44 pm

There's two types.

Android boxes you can plug into your TV with apps designed only for use on a mobile phone.
Boxes running Android TV OS which run approved versions of netflix, Amazon and other apps designed for use on a TV.

Most of the Android boxes have low specs, are slow and crash frequently and the apps are designed for phones not your TV.

I would recommend an Android TV box like the Nvidia shield and unlike other boxes or smart TVs, the OS and security updates won't stop after 1 year, the amount of smart TVs where the apps stop working after 2-3 years is shocking, requiring a new TV to resolve. Nvidia is still rolling out updates to their original 2015 model and because the specs were high for even 2015, it is more than capable of still running the newest apps. Therefore you cannot go wrong with the latest specs in the newest 2019 model.

It's expensive compared to the others but you won't need another box for at least 5 years, you won't need a smart TV or worry about the apps on your smart TV not working any more, it won't crash and because it's backend is Android, it's very easy to sideload apps which you can't normally find in the app store. The Nvidia shield mobile phone app is great for turning the box into a mini PC allowing you to use the phone screen as a trackpad for a mouse, opening apps from your phone, using the phone keyboard to type text and because it's got Google assistant built in you can hook it up to smart speakers to open up whatever you want and also acts as a Chromecast device. If you get the highest spec 2019 version you can link the box to your PC and play all your PC games on your TV with any Bluetooth gamepad (PS, Xbox etc.), Essentially your PC will stream to the box over your LAN.

It's great for older tvs without smart TV functionality because the TV display itself is great and I can get features most brand new TVs cannot give and will have an interface and security features future proofed far beyond what any new TV can provide essentially helping me save money on buying a new TV when my old smart TV stops getting updates and the apps stop working.

I cannot recommend the Nvidia shield highly enough.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:43 pm
The Amazon Fire stick is cheap and does a perfectly good job of streaming football, Netflix etc.They start at £29.99
I've got a 2016 firestick, after several updates to the Amazon OS, it's just unusably slow and crashes all the time. It's ok for 1-2 years until the updates from Amazon outpace the specifications of the unit requiring you to bin it and replace with a new one.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm
I've got a 2016 firestick, after several updates to the Amazon OS, it's just unusably slow and crashes all the time. It's ok for 1-2 years until the updates from Amazon outpace the specifications of the unit requiring you to bin it and replace with a new one.
Get a 4k firestick on Black Friday. You can pick them up for around 20 quid.
Far better than the old ones.

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm

I use a Zgemma H2S which is quite an old model but still runs pretty well if you flash with the latest image and keep on top of it. I’ve heard the Formuler Z8 box runs like a dream and I think it’s similar to the Nvidia but is cheaper. The 4K firestick also runs really well for a fraction of the cost but don’t get one of the older models as they are slow and limited

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:08 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:44 pm
There's two types.

Android boxes you can plug into your TV with apps designed only for use on a mobile phone.
Boxes running Android TV OS which run approved versions of netflix, Amazon and other apps designed for use on a TV.

Most of the Android boxes have low specs, are slow and crash frequently and the apps are designed for phones not your TV.

I would recommend an Android TV box like the Nvidia shield and unlike other boxes or smart TVs, the OS and security updates won't stop after 1 year, the amount of smart TVs where the apps stop working after 2-3 years is shocking, requiring a new TV to resolve. Nvidia is still rolling out updates to their original 2015 model and because the specs were high for even 2015, it is more than capable of still running the newest apps. Therefore you cannot go wrong with the latest specs in the newest 2019 model.

It's expensive compared to the others but you won't need another box for at least 5 years, you won't need a smart TV or worry about the apps on your smart TV not working any more, it won't crash and because it's backend is Android, it's very easy to sideload apps which you can't normally find in the app store. The Nvidia shield mobile phone app is great for turning the box into a mini PC allowing you to use the phone screen as a trackpad for a mouse, opening apps from your phone, using the phone keyboard to type text and because it's got Google assistant built in you can hook it up to smart speakers to open up whatever you want and also acts as a Chromecast device. If you get the highest spec 2019 version you can link the box to your PC and play all your PC games on your TV with any Bluetooth gamepad (PS, Xbox etc.), Essentially your PC will stream to the box over your LAN.

It's great for older tvs without smart TV functionality because the TV display itself is great and I can get features most brand new TVs cannot give and will have an interface and security features future proofed far beyond what any new TV can provide essentially helping me save money on buying a new TV when my old smart TV stops getting updates and the apps stop working.

I cannot recommend the Nvidia shield highly enough.
For streaming football the Nivea Shield is way OTT and overpriced. The apps I use are not designed for phones they are designed for any android devices whether it be phone, box, laptop or Smart TV (all of which I use)

I agree the picture quality on the older android boxes is not as good as a nivea but you can easily get an amazon product or a better box to achieve the same quality picture for miles cheaper

I have used these apps for about 5 years and nothing has gone out of date except maybe letting the kodi app upgrade to the newest version which takes 5 mins and is only needed because of my providers spec and nothing to do with any of my devices

On a different note any of the amazon fire products are very good quality and as others have recommended is a good shout. For IPTV football streaming you may need to sideload the required apps but this isnt difficult

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Pointless
Firestick all way

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:08 pm
On a different note any of the amazon fire products are very good quality and as others have recommended is a good shout. For IPTV football streaming you may need to sideload the required apps but this isnt difficult
What do mean by sideload the required apps for football streaming?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm
What do mean by sideload the required apps for football streaming?
Been a bit since Ive used a Firestick so things might have moved on but for Sportsmmaina I use either the Kodi or IPTV Smarters App which were not available in the Amazon App store to download when I used my Firestick

The alternative was to use the Downloader app which you could sideload the apps via an APK file address and access code

Things might be a bit simpler now as my firestick has been stuck away in a draw for 2 years but even if thats still the process its pretty straightforward once you know what youre doing

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Buy this one not a cheap one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193628966463

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Tbh I've been using android boxes for many years but recently moved over to a HD fireStick.
Personally I find the fireStick alot easier to use/update/add to and certainly wouldn't use a box again.
All the football is watched through the many IPTv apps available.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:11 pm
Been a bit since Ive used a Firestick so things might have moved on but for Sportsmmaina I use either the Kodi or IPTV Smarters App which were not available in the Amazon App store to download when I used my Firestick

The alternative was to use the Downloader app which you could sideload the apps via an APK file address and access code

Things might be a bit simpler now as my firestick has been stuck away in a draw for 2 years but even if thats still the process its pretty straightforward once you know what youre doing
Yes I use the Downloader app, I just hadn't heard the term sideload before.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:19 pm
Yes I use the Downloader app, I just hadn't heard the term sideload before.
The term is probably a bit dated and behind the times like me :)

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Side loading is the term meaning putting apps onto a system that aren't freely available for said system
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 pm

This convo sparked my interest as years since I first got a firestick.

Had a look and back online and appears back in the day you couldnt use the downloader app (not sure if it even existed) and I had to download a Kodi APK file from a website onto my laptop and then use a windows file transfer program to transfer it from my laptop linked via my IP address on to the firestick which I think is what sideloading is

I think a year or two later I wiped it by mistake and when I reloaded it I used the downloader app thus me remembering it as being so simple

Reckon ive prob got Kodi15 or 16 on that device as not used it for years.

Things definitely a bit simpler for a novice like me these days

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:29 am

If you're strictly using it for legal content go for a Roku or fire stick.

If you are wanting to use it for illegal sport streams fire stick or fire tv.

If you want to go full out, create a collection of movies, download your own music etc consider something like a Zidoo.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:03 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Does anyone know a good but relatively cheap one to buy?

I will then look for guidance on how it can be used effectively.
I have one to sell, top of the range too

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am

Firestick. I highly recommend them.
This user liked this post: wilks_bfc

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:19 am

Agree with the recommendations of the 4K firestick

Easy to set up with the added advantage is it is easy to switch the use between televisions

We’ve even taken it on holiday to use

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:59 pm

I forgot to mention Firesticks are so portable you can take them on holiday with you. Mine isn't slow at all and I've had it a few years. I only have a couple of apps on it though

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Mine is a T95Q.

My 'bookclub' tested lots last year and that was their recommendation. 2.4 or 5khz WiFi fine.

There are better but expensive.

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Great bookclub Ian, I have a firestick in which my book club has a great app and is everything I need for home and away in my caravan.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:41 pm

I have a T95Z and a Firestick. I prefer the interface on the Firestick but the internet speed on my T95Z seems to be less affected by my VPN than the Firestick. Both are hard wired into my router using an Ethernet cable (the Firestick via an adaptor). Have tried different VPNs and different settings on the Firestick but don’t seem to be able to make a difference. Means I get a few more buffering issues on the Firestick.