Who's the competition?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: Who's the competition?

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:45 am
As we now play games behind closed doors I'm just using the post lockdown games for the following comparison, just in case someone mentions about a full season.

Interestingly whilst there is a concern over our lack of goals we scored just nine goals in the nine matches after lockdown last season, yet scoring just one goal per game got us 15 points from those games.

However, we managed to keep four clean sheets which I think will be key again this season.
I'd agree with that. Its vital that we get back to keeping clean sheets given our shortage of goals.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:02 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 am
I'd agree with that. Its vital that we get back to keeping clean sheets given our shortage of goals.
That's so true. One thing to remember is that if you keep a clean sheet you are ALWAYS guaranteed to get at least a point, but even if you score you are not guaranteed to get anything.

Teams who leak a lot of goals never survive in the Prem, and that's why Norwich went down and Sheff United had a great season by having a great defence.

If we can nick a goal in games we always have a great chance with Tarkowski and Mee playing.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Can we add Villa? ;)

Imagine the meltdown on here if we'd lost back-to-back home games 3-0 to Leeds and Southampton

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by leelad » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Fulham & West Brom for me will occupy two of the bottom 3 places. After that, there are at least 5 teams who could occupy that final place, us included. The remaining 4 teams being Sheff Utd, Brighton, West Ham & Newcastle. I think Villa will finish mid table. We need to take points off the teams around us. With all due respect to Chelsea & Tottenham, taking points off these teams are a bonus. If you look back to previous seasons, our survival in this unforgiving league has come about because we have taken points from the teams in the bottom half of the table which has given us the confidence and momentum to take a few points off teams in the top half of the table. We need to do the same again this season. Brighton away will tell us a lot about how much this squad want to stay in the league and if we are up for the fight. Wouldn't surprise me if Dyche brings back Mee for this one.