Sean Dyche Interview in the Daily Telegraph - on his 8 years

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Sean Dyche Interview in the Daily Telegraph - on his 8 years

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 am

not much about that in the end but a very interesting and (in the current climate) surprising comment in there - though I am sure most will find it welcome

Sean Dyche on eight years in charge of Burnley and how it compares to the pressures felt by Jose Mourinho
MIKE MCGRATH OCTOBER 25, 2020

Sean Dyche was in unfamiliar territory when he bumped into Jose Mourinho in Belgravia last season, yet they share similar beliefs when it comes to longevity as a Premier League manager.

Dyche celebrates eight years in charge of Burnley this week, although budget constraints at Turf Moor makes it a test of juggling resources as much as coaching. At the other end of the scale, Mourinho has had shorter spells at Chelsea twice, Manchester United and now Tottenham Hotspur.

To stay employed it means getting results regardless of style of football or upsetting rivals, which neither have been afraid of. It meant there was common ground during their chance encounter in London.

“I don’t mind sharing a story with you – we’d just been beaten 5-0, run ragged and I stayed down with my family, we were walking in Belgravia – the posh part, not my part of town – just me my wife and two kids and who should we bump into but Jose Mourinho,” Dyche said.

“We had 10 minutes of talking, he had a cap on and took it off and said ‘it’s me’ – we had a laugh. We’ve had a few bits by the side of the pitch – some good some not so good but that 10 minutes is the most I’ve ever spoken to him about life and that kind of thing.”

Dyche has suffered one relegation while at Burnley but his eight years has seen consistency and overachievement given the money spent. It is a different pressure that felt by Mourinho.

“He wins and wins,” Dyche said. “He finds a way of winning. That’s always been my thoughts on management. If you can do it in a great style, then great. If you can’t you’ve still got to win.

“The distinction is if you are in development football teaching the game, different styles. If you’re a manager you’ve got to win and he invariably wins. That’s enough for me to show him respect, he wins.

“I think he has mentioned about a longer term project but the demands at the clubs he has been at are incredibly high – and that’s a different ball game. Pep Guardiola asked me the other week if it had been tough and I said ‘yeah very’ and he said ‘finance?’ and I said ‘yeah’.

“He said ‘I don’t have a problem with that’ and I said ‘yeah but you’ve gotta win the league mate’. The juggling acts at different levels. You look at Jose and he’s been at top clubs. It seems there’s a much more limited time span unless you are literally winning all the time over a long period.

“Alex Ferguson is the only one who has won and won and won all the time in the modern era.”

Dyche, 49, says he plans to continue as long as Burnley want him, or if another club comes in with an offer that gets accepted. There will be no voluntary sabbatical, although he would know what to do if it were enforced.

"As Steve Redgrave said, I won’t be in the boat when I’m 65, I tell you. I’ll not be in the boat,” Dyche side. "I'd do very normal stuff, travelling and seeing friends, just stuff that you don’t get the chance to do.

"I live in two places so my time is spent M1, M6, A50, family, football. It’s the bits in between. Take away Covid obviously: travel, friends, things that should get more of your time, I’m aware of that, but they can’t get more of your time. That is the way it goes. The balance. Golf, of course."
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Bosscat

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Re: Sean Dyche Interview in the Daily Telegraph - on his 8 years

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 am

Thanks for posting that. UTC

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks for posting.

Dyche is 100% the man for my club: for taking us to Europe; for helping us to survive; to guiding us to mid-table safety or for bringing us back to the Premier League if we ever get relegated. He is our Special One.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Cirrus_Minor

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 am

Love Dyche.

Thanks for posting.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 am

Edit ....Double post 😂
Last edited by Bosscat on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:01 am

Great OP 👍🙂👍

Sean Mark Dyche = Claret Legend