ARTICLE: It’s a tough road to be on

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: It’s a tough road to be on

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Frank Lampard & Sean Dyche on today's game

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/its-a-tough-road-to-be-on

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: It’s a tough road to be on

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Chelsea were far better than us in every aspect of the game but I expected that before kick off considering the quality at their disposal. I'm far from convinced about our manager's take on the game. A lot of careless play from us, passing especially and for players that have decent experience at this level we looked naive and slow of thought when in possession. I genuinely didn't expect anything from the game in terms of points but apart from perhaps the first 10 minutes or so of the second half we looked a side devoid of confidence and without a game plan.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 am

We needed a change at half time and 5 subs may have worked for once
Lowton was awful and Dale was worse
The nonsense of Dwight wandering around passing across the field Butch Wilkins style needs to stop
Get Dwight wide left with instructions to attack at every opportunity and whip crosses in for Woody or Ash to convert
Charlie played well yesterday but many times he looked to get the ball out wide and Dwight had vanished
Ash Westwood had his worse game in a Burnley shirt yesterday and overall it was a diabolical performance by too many.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:45 am

I don't get the Dwight thing either. As we know Dyche moves the formation around within the 442 structure, but it doesn't work when Dwight is told to play a Grealish role as the remaining 3 midfield stay rigid to their 442 role rather than moving to 4312, and as you say leaving Taylor isolated

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:47 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 am
We needed a change at half time and 5 subs may have worked for once
Lowton was awful and Dale was worse
The nonsense of Dwight wandering around passing across the field Butch Wilkins style needs to stop
Get Dwight wide left with instructions to attack at every opportunity and whip crosses in for Woody or Ash to convert
Charlie played well yesterday but many times he looked to get the ball out wide and Dwight had vanished
Ash Westwood had his worse game in a Burnley shirt yesterday and overall it was a diabolical performance by too many.
Don't think Lowton was any worse than most
Agree with the rest of the comments

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:51 am

I don't think our wide players tucking in and making it narrow is a new thing, it's been a tactic of ours since the days of having Boyd and Arfield playing there.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 2976 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:24 am

I do agree that we just have to get Dwight out wide and instructed to whip crosses in...this is our best chance of goals and it's very frustrating to see him wandering around deep in midfield. Taylor and McNeill are fantastic on that left side and we need to make the most of them there. Stephens, so far, looks a bad signing with little to offer and it's criminal we have to shove Brownhill out of position because of lack of cover wide right. Hopefully we have seen the "1-5 v Everton" tipping moment and will turn it around..but I wish I felt more confident of this.
This user liked this post: Im_not_Robbie_Blake

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:06 am

Stephens has been poor in every game he has played but was particularly bad yesterday. His ball retention, passing and movement were all awful and he was rightly hooked at half time. It was a performance very similar to that which Drinkwater put in against City last season and he was also hooked early.