Bonfire night

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: Bonfire night

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:29 pm

exilecanada wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:16 pm
..................switching streets names around :D
That'd confuse the hell out of Google maps these days

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:42 am

BenWickes wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:02 pm
Not for three or four weeks no! Not even three or four days.
You maybe weren't born then, but it certainly went on long before 5th November.
Bonfires started getting built weeks before, sometimes set on fire 2 or 3 times before the day.
Every child was involved, not just a few. Like others have said, bangers were thrown every day in the build up, and past. The fire brigade were far busier for weeks, as were hospitals as more people got injured because of the number of thrown fireworks and the hundreds of unorganised bonfires.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:47 am

Grumps wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:42 am
You maybe weren't born then, but it certainly went on long before 5th November.
Bonfires started getting built weeks before, sometimes set on fire 2 or 3 times before the day.
Every child was involved, not just a few. Like others have said, bangers were thrown every day in the build up, and past. The fire brigade were far busier for weeks, as were hospitals as more people got injured because of the number of thrown fireworks and the hundreds of unorganised bonfires.
I do remember building a den and protecting the bonfire. I do remember the occasional firework going off at reasonable times in the weeks leading up to the 5th. However. I just got back from work and some numpty was setting fireworks off at 5.20 this morning. No excuse for that at all. I don't have a problem with fireworks on the 5h per se as people can prepare for it. It's the morons setting them off for weeks on end and at ridiculous hours that p*ss me off.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:15 am

Presumably no board members' dogs were harmed in the making of last night's Bonfire Night ?

Good, let the pampering continue. :roll:

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:21 am

Love Bonfire Night. Not sure it’s an either or but dog owners tend to think everyone likes dogs. They’ve no more rights than people who want to enjoy Bonfire Night. It’s one night of the year. Train your dog. What a miserable bunch. I have a near neighbour who’s dog yelps and yelps very time he goes out which is far more annoying than one night of fireworks. Most young children love fireworks too.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:14 am

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:55 pm
I've never seen fireworks thrown since the sixties bangers and air Bombs.were regularly thrown....remember?

Some lovely residents of Brierfield were throwing them at police last night

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:18 am

I've changed my mind on this. This morning I've been reading accounts of our emergency services being attacked by yobs aiming fireworks at them. Either ban them outright for domestic use or force through laws and give a mandatory, no ifs or buts, 5 year jail term for anyone prosecuted for such reprehensible behaviour.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:21 am

Black peas, potatoes roasted/blackened in the fire, parkin and fireworks - a great night traditionally in Lancashire.
What could be better?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Nobody has an issue with folks enjoying a few fireworks as long as they exercise common sense and abide to setting them off at a reasonable time, and the 'normal' fireworks can be tolerated by most people, and if it's confined to one night, or at most a few nights around the 5th then nobody would mind as much, however it's the constant loud bangs at irregular hours for weeks prior, and then the weeks post Bonfire night itself that grates on people.

And proof that in the wrong hands these things can be dangerous is found herehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... -54837040

I'd agree with some of the earlier comments, have them on sale for a week before the big night, and then remove them from sale, there is absolutely no reason for pyrotechnics to be on sale for about a week after Bonfire night, that's just prolonging the nuisance for vulnerable people and those like me who suffer from bad nerves and epilepsy, and also pet owners, if people knew it was only going to be the one night they'd have to keep their animals settled and calm, they'd be able to cope with that, it's the incessant lead up to Bonfire night and then the aftermath that gets on people's nerves.