Tarkowski interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Tarkowski interview

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:11 pm

How can anyone at the club have signed that interview off. In my opinion he should be dropped. He has basically just said he doesn’t want to be at the club and he will run his contract down

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Re: Tarkowski interview

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Link please.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Tarks in the Telegraph - Why I am refusing to sign a new contract

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm

James Tarkowski exclusive: Why I am refusing to sign new Burnley contract
Tarkowski wants to take back control after Burnley turned down offers from West Ham and league leaders Leicester in the last transfer window

By Matt Law,

James Tarkowski has described why he has turned down a new Burnley contract in a bid to take back control of his own career, following the club’s decision to once again deny the central defender a big move away.

Burnley turned down offers in excess of £30 million for Tarkowski from West Ham United and Premier League leaders Leicester City in the last transfer window.

Tarkowski has made it clear that he has ambitions to play European football, but that did not stop Burnley making him a new contract offer in the last few weeks.

But Tarkowski has no intention of re-signing with the Clarets, as the 27 year-old moves towards the final 18 months of his current deal that expires in 2022.

Revealing the contract offer exclusively to Telegraph Sport, Tarkowski said: “Burnley offered me a contract near the start of last season, which, for me personally, it was nowhere near what I was going to sign and I think the club understood. And they’ve come back again this year, and still, for me, it’s just not right.

“Finances do matter, but, at this particular stage, whatever path I take I will get financially rewarded so the financial side is not even in my thinking at the moment. It’s more about my football.”

Leicester failed with bids for Tarkowski in each of the past two summer transfer windows and the former Brentford man added: “We’ve had two transfer windows now where the club have decided, for whatever reason, that whatever has been offered on the table hasn’t been enough and that’s fine because I signed a contract for four-and-a-half years. So I won’t whinge or not turn up, I just need to deal with it and get on with my football.

“But the longer my contract runs down, I feel I gain the control of my career more than Burnley having the control of it, which is what I feel like I need right now.

“There is nothing I have heard or has been put to me that makes me think there is a scenario in which I would sign a new contract at Burnley. That can change, but currently that is the situation.”

Tarkowski has already proved that he will not allow Burnley’s refusal to sell him or his future to impact his performances, having helped the team, who are still looking for their first League win of the season, keep a clean sheet against Brighton at the weekend.

Premier League 2020/21 latest standings (bottom five)
English Premier League
Team P W D L GD Pts
16 Brighton and Hove Albion 8 1 3 4 -3 6
17 Fulham 8 1 1 6 -8 4
18 West Bromwich Albion 8 0 3 5 -11 3
19 Burnley 7 0 2 5 -9 2
20 Sheffield United 8 0 1 7 -10 1

Since making his Premier League debut for Burnley in 2016, Tarkowski is in the top five players for blocks, clearances and aerial duels won. It’s not hard to see why David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers were so keen to sign him.

“In terms of playing, nothing changes,” said Tarkowski. “My desire to want to be at my best for me and for the team never changes. I’ve got relationships at Burnley that I will want to keep for the rest of my life, so for me to just down tools and say, ‘this is it’, it wouldn’t be right and I wouldn’t want to. I want to perform for Burnley, they have given me a great opportunity to play in the Premier League, something which I’ve loved over the last four years.

“I signed a contract and I’ve got to stick to that and play it out, and I want to give my best for Burnley. I’m not just going to let it be a case of getting the next year or whatever out of the way.”

In terms of his relationship with the Burnley fans, Tarkowski said: “Burnley is a really close club and I like to think I’ve always had a tight relationship with the fans, and I wouldn’t want that to change because I have such a lot of respect for them. I hope they also appreciate that I’ll always do my best for the club, but also that I will want to do the best for myself.

“If there are fans who are upset with me for not wanting to sign a new contract, then it’s their opinion and I understand they want the best for Burnley first and foremost. Just because I won’t sign a new contract, doesn’t mean it takes away from the commitment I have to my current contract.

“I’m not bitter about the last transfer window, what happened happened. I will never hold it against the club. That’s up to them, but the longer this goes on the more control I get of my own career which is what I want. I want to be able to decide where I am, where I’m going and who I’m playing for. That’s nothing against Burnley, but this is a short career and I’m not getting younger. I’m coming into my late 20s now and I want to experience as much as I can in the game before I retire.

“The last window is obviously a missed opportunity for me. If clubs can’t get the player they want then they will go elsewhere and sign someone else, but I don’t worry too much about it because I’ve got great belief in myself.”

Despite his excellent club form, which earned him a place in the whoscored.com European team of last season, Tarkowski continues to be ignored by England manager Gareth Southgate and he is realistic enough to acknowledge that staying at Burnley has probably not helped his chance of a recall.

“It looks that way,” said Tarkowski. “I had a really good year last year and didn’t get the call-up, so maybe for now, yes, it’s going to be difficult, but that’s not me giving up on that dream of getting back involved.

“It’s probably quite fair to think that if you’re at a club sitting top of the Premier League, you’ve got a better chance of getting into the squad, but it hasn’t worked out that way. I’m not giving up though, there are just people ahead of me at the moment.”

Rileybobs

Re: Tarks in the Telegraph - Why I am refusing to sign a new contract

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:16 pm

I can't disagree with his reasoning, but I would prefer him not to have made those comments public at this stage in the season.

At the end of the day, it is in the best interests of his career to get his head down and play to the top of his ability. I hope and trust that this is what he'll do.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:19 pm

That interview isn’t going to do him any favours with the Burnley fans, but I can’t say I disagree with it too much.

It’s fairly obvious that our chronic lack of investment has not only ****** off our manager but is starting to grate our better players, too.
Last edited by BurnleyFC on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:19 pm

It seems to chime with the timing of the noticeable change in relationship with Dyche and Garlick

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Dropped? Why?

Football fans are idiots. We signed him. He signed a contract, he’s seeing it out. He doesn’t have to resign. But that then makes him droppable? Okay.

Why is it football fans don’t complain when a player gets realised at the end of his contract because they aren’t good enough anymore? It’s perfectly fine when clubs do it to youth players too, just throw them on the scrapheap. But when a player who’s one of the clubs top players, it’s him who’s in the wrong.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Time to start the search for a commanding CH, even if they come in during the January window and Tarks stays until the end of the season its money well spent, and provides cover for injury to him or Ben

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 pm

He's told the truth from his point of view
He has also said it will not affect his attitude towards the club, players and supporters and will continue to give 100%
It might not be what many people want to hear but they will have to deal with it

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

He either leaves on a free in 18 months or we get a reduced fee for him in one of the windows before then....OR the takeover happens and the new regime pay him what he feels he's worth.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Of he trots then, assuming we get an offer that suits the club.

Of course this could now reduce the future offers.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

I am sorry but it is not just footballers if I had a public statement like that in my field of work I would be currently packing up my desk.

He has shown complete disrespect for his club. If he wants to leave that’s fine but do not plaster it over a national newspaper in the middle of one of toughest starts the club has had in this division.
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Hmmm time and a place...........

Culture in anything comes from the leadership, and with Dyche going public, the rest will follow......whatever happens takeoverwise, it’s all cascading down through the club........and now onto the pitch.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets lesxdp

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm
He either leaves on a free in 18 months or we get a reduced fee for him in one of the windows before then....OR the takeover happens and the new regime pay him what he feels he's worth.
Given our current predicament and strength of squad I doubt he will now sign a new contract whatever we offer him

PS - time to merge these two posts into one

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Would rather have this transparency than silence. Its the latter the club thrives on unfortunately

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

This situation also illustrates how the current board cannot afford to finance us a Premier League club going forward

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:26 pm

It’s shows a complete lack of respect for the club. Bench him and start Long or Dunne.

No problem with a player wanting to leave but don’t plaster it over a national newspaper.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm

A poor-mans Ben Mee. Get rid ASAP.

;)

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:26 pm
It’s shows a complete lack of respect for the club. Bench him and start Long or Dunne.

No problem with a player wanting to leave but don’t plaster it over a national newspaper.
That gives us time to develop the very promising Thomas - different kind of player but from what I saw against Millwall there is a real talent there

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Benching him is a daft idea as we don't have a good quality replacement.
Long isn't the answer.

Shame Gibson has gone.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm
Given our current predicament and strength of squad I doubt he will now sign a new contract whatever we offer him

PS - time to merge these two posts into one
I would suggest that if there were to be a new contact that was to his liking , that would also indicate the finances were there to strengthen the squad as well...all hypothetical and based on a succesful takeover of course.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 pm

The right time to sell will be next summer, but he may decide he wants to now run down his contract and move for free.

That isn't a pop at the board, because for all we know (and no, nobody knows what the next 18 months hold), it could still end up being in our favour if we stay up, or if we go down, he stays, and he helps us get back up before moving for free.

It is what it is. The club did what they felt was right.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 pm

No need whatsoever to make this public. Most lines of work would see you down the road and possibly unemployable at the same time. To say I'm pretty disappointed in this is an understatement.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
And look forward to Championship football next season :roll:

As he has said, he was fully aware of offers from the likes of Leicester and WHU in the last transfer window and he could no doubt have maybe doubled his wage plus had the chance of European football with Leicester so no surprise he wants to leave
By going public he alerts other clubs to that situation inc maybe Man Utd

Incidentally, I think Leicester may be happy to have missed out, Fofana looks to be a great buy at just 19

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I read this as Tarks alerting clubs to his wishes and for him, hopefully an offer coming in next January that the club cannot turn down.And at this stage in his career you cannot blame him. He is sounding cheesed off with the club, so I am guessing the "One Club" mentality is now permeating down from Dyche to the players.

Do Stoke or West Brom have any central defenders that we could possibly sign in January?......

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Can Danny Drinkwater play CB ?

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:45 pm

I don't blame him for wanting to leave to further his career, but to go public like this is not on.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:50 pm

He has to go on January if we are to get any sort of respectable fee for him.

30m for him in January with some sort of investment from.the new owners might just enable us to bring in 3 or 4 players and at least start to rebuild the squad.

It maybe a touch too late for next season, but we cannot afford to let him walk out for free, or continue to feel like he doesnt want to be here.

The rot has well and truly set in, and it could just be a damage limitation process to see how much if effects us, it has damaged far more stable and recognised premier league clubs than us long term.

Dont forget, one club for one.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:51 pm

This interview is more likely to have been set up by his agent

Yes, he has had to agree to it but I doubt it has come from him without the full knowledge/persuasion of his agent

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Not ideal.

I guess (god forbid) he suddenly gets a long term injury he will want to talk contracts.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:00 pm

There's nothing new there that we didn't already know, so pointless speaking out in the press about it really, he should have kept his head down & gone quietly, he'll get his move with or without publicity.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Hard to get away from the idea that the party is over at Turf Moor.

Hopefully a couple of wins can turn the feeling around but we just seem like constant negatives at the moment.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 pm

I'm amazed more players don't run their contracts down these days.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 pm
I'm amazed more players don't run their contracts down these days.
I suppose it’s the job security and the threat of being frozen out of the squad that will put most off from doing.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm

strange timing for the interview and you have to assume it has been orchestrated by someone on his side - why on earth would the press go after a story like that proactively?

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:01 pm
Hard to get away from the idea that the party is over at Turf Moor.

Hopefully a couple of wins can turn the feeling around but we just seem like constant negatives at the moment.
Exactly my thoughts. We've got an absentee chairman who has prevented us from adding to the squad in any meaningful sense and a takeover bid that is dragging on and on. Not to mention how cheesed off Dyche is

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:11 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm
Exactly my thoughts. We've got an absentee chairman who has prevented us from adding to the squad in any meaningful sense and a takeover bid that is dragging on and on. Not to mention how cheesed off Dyche is
In what way is an Executive Chairman - who is visible at every game and we are told is active in the day to day running of the club - absentee

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm
That gives us time to develop the very promising Thomas - different kind of player but from what I saw against Millwall there is a real talent there
I like the davisesque run and cross from Thomas for the u23s the other day.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:15 pm

I think we are all fairly cheesed off. I want our halcyon days back.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:19 pm

I have no problem with him speaking out - its a short career and playing for Burnley is now holding him back.
Blame the people upstairs or even the manager

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm

18 months is a long time to let your contract run down, fully expect him to be sold in January.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

20 at the most and he will be off to Liverpool.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Seems to be just one thing after another at the moment. The next few months will be the most significant in recent memory.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:26 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:19 pm
I have no problem with him speaking out - its a short career and playing for Burnley is now holding him back.
Blame the people upstairs or even the manager
Get a grip. This is an employee of the club that is very very well paid openly slagging off the club to the national press. Good player Tarkowski but from all accounts has no morals. Did the same to Brentford when we tried to sign him.

This is a really sad way for his Burnley career to finish, he has had 4 excellent years here. Will be remembered for the wrong reasons
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Nothing wrong with his sentiment, but why air it to the press. Sad really, I wish him the best, and most fans will understand, but at a time when the club is struggling, on and off the field, this does nothing to help.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm

He's coming across as a spoilt brat. Whoever signed off on that interview wants a severe bollocking.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Don't really have an issue with what he is saying. He's 27/28 (?), will be approaching 30 when his contract expires, says he's committed to the club/seeing that contract through, but won't sign a new one because he wants to have control of his career. No problem in that.

Feels orchestrated to make the club more closely consider offers in January to me.

With the 27.5% sell on clause I am of the view we should keep him this season and next, then wish him well. We won't get more than £30m this January, which means £20m to us, and I think his experience is worth £10m per season to the side. Next summer we'll get the square root of nothing so no point then either.

Assuming the new owners come in I think they should make a good, final offer (if they want to). This doesn't just have to be about what we pay him, but what we'll accept as a fee in future and what % of that possible fee we'd pay him. If he doesn't want to sign, fair enough, announce he'll be leaving at end of contract and that we wish him well. He'll be playing for the biggest possible club/contract elsewhere, so can't see him downing tools.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Murger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm
He's coming across as a spoilt brat. Whoever signed off on that interview wants a severe bollocking.
I doubt anyone signed it off.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Nothing wrong with his sentiment, but why air it to the press. Sad really, I wish him the best, and most fans will understand, but at a time when the club is struggling, on and off the field, this does nothing to help.
Do agree with this. Meant to add to my post - no issues with the sentiment, but the timing of the statement leaves a lot to be desired.

Leaves the door open for "things changing". I think there will be a few twists and turns in this story yet.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Murger wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm
To be honest I think the interview was refreshingly honest from him. I didn't get a "spoilt brat" feeling at all.

I also can't blame him for wanting to better himself. Lets face it we're heading in one direction with the lack of investment into the playing squad and both him, Pope & McNeil will be going shortly to further their own career.

None of these lads are Burnley fans. They are doing a job.