Poppies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Re: Poppies

Post by Dazzler » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:30 pm
People were asked to stay away in order to stop the pandemic spreading even further. Not sure how this equates to being gutless, but hey ho.
"Asked" ....it wasn't an order :P

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Dazzler wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:45 pm
"Asked" ....it wasn't an order :P
Well, don't you think it was good advice? Anyway, you so obviously started this thread with an agenda when you posted "now judged as racist to wear a poppy" in your opening post. To use Remembrance is this way is pretty low and to be honest, I find it deeply disrespectful. I won't bother you again.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Folk are still going shopping and getting about on buses and in taxi's...it's just a case of being sensible.

You know, using ones own common sense??

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Dazzler wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:20 pm
The quote is taken from a statement I read elsewhere:

It may well have come from someone else but I'm surprised that you, as you claim, an ex-squaddie are prepared to repeat it, as fact, without question.
I'd argue the opposite:the last few months have shown that despite horrendous difficulties, the majority of our society have performed well in many areas whether via work, supporting others and so on.
If you consider your society to be "gutless" that's up to you - speak for yourself, many millions of us in ours aren't.
I'm afraid you've let yourself down a little by posting this thread.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Sausage wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:06 pm
If you equate virtue-signalling with visible displays of support then, yes, wearing a poppy is virtue-signalling. On the other hand, if you're serving in the armed forces or a war veteran, isn't it reassuring to see a visible display that people appreciate the sacrifices that have been made? Anyway, why is virtue-signalling so frowned upon?
  • Taking the knee is virtue-signalling. You know, if really want to tackle racism, you really ought to do something other than show you're against racism.
  • Sending a Valentine's Card is virtue signalling. You showed your commitment when you got married.
  • Clapping the NHS on your doorstep is virtue-signalling. You could just donate some money (above and beyond what you pay to HMRC anyway) and keep your front door shut.
  • Wearing your Burnley FC shirt on holiday in Tenerife is virtue-signalling. Why not just go to the club shop, throw £45 over the counter and walk out empty-handed? Why does every Tom, Dick or Harry need to see what team you support?
Wear a poppy or don't wear one; but branding it virtue-signalling (and therefore something to be derided) is weapons-grade tosspottery.
I never said virtue-signalling was something to be derided. Nowt wrong with doing something good and trying to encourage others to do the same.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 pm
I never said virtue-signalling was something to be derided. Nowt wrong with doing something good and trying to encourage others to do the same.
It's a very good point. Wearing a poppy is almost the definition of virtue-signalling, although slightly less so than clapping the NHS, in my opinion. That doesn't mean that doing either is wrong. Just that not doing either also isn't wrong.

I suspect, though may be wrong, why you've brought up the virtue signalling is because the same people who call others virtue-signallers when they call out racism, for example, are the first to deride people for not wearing a poppy.

Supporting the RBL is great, as of course is remembering the huge sacrifices our forefathers made. But I do find the huge poppies in the windows and F'book profile filters extremely mawkish.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:10 am

We have similar posts to this every year I don’t get the annoyance about people not wearing poppies it is a personal choice and you should remember however you wish to do it. If you choose not to it’s a shame but that is your choice. I always donate sometimes I buy the metal poppy pins but I rarely take a normal poppy certainly I never take one for myself. This year I only managed to donate once before they were remove I normally donate £1 or 2 every time I walk past them normally at least once a day. The act of rememberence is very personal to me I always take time to remember but I would never question someone who doesn’t want to remember.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:48 am

When I was a kid, Remembrance Day build up and conversation started a week or two before. It was hardly discussed outside of November.

The “lest we forget” posts I see on social media are 12 months of the year.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 am

As a veteran, I wear one. I’ve lost fellow servicemen to cancer and other illnesses and I like to remember them. Also, a lad I grew up with in my street was shot and killed in Afghanistan in 2009 whilst I was serving there. And of course, all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

What I don’t like is how a certain group of people like to ram it down everyone’s throat. It has tarnished what the poppy is about and goes against the freedom that was fought for in the first place.

Whatever your reasons to wear and not to wear are your own and should be respected by others.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie