Great canal journeys...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Re: Great canal journeys...

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Siddo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm
Hi Frank, I can recommend 2 cracking books full of history and photos. I can't post the link for some reason and the photos won't upload.

The Leeds and Liverpool canal. A history and guide by Mike Clarke, and Britain's great waterways outdoors by Phillipa Greenwood and Martine O'Callaghan.

Both cheap enough on Amazon.
There's a DVD as well, west marton to Leeds & west marton to Liverpool, I could only see the first listed on eBay, I have both but on VHS.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Walk-On-T- ... 890.l49292

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:38 pm
There's a DVD as well, west marton to Leeds & west marton to Liverpool, I could only see the first listed on eBay, I have both but on VHS.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Walk-On-T- ... 890.l49292
Thanks for that Jakubclaret. I have twice cycled the 127 miles from liverpool to Leeds over 2 days in recent years. Last year the weather was horrendous. I've done plenty of challenges for charity, including the national 3 peaks twice in 24 hours and last year's cycle was harder (due to torrential rain and gale force winds).

I have noted the posts about weeds, shallow water and the locks. CRT staff have been furloughed and keeping water levels good is always a massive task, and of course some of the lock gates are over 200 years old.
I think the charity does a good job under the current circumstances, but I appreciate that some users may feel neglected. Don't forget that a large number of the staff and lock keepers are volunteers and don't deserve the insults they sometimes receive.

However, I've never seen a happy fisherman on there when walking past them, and cycling past them feels like a major crime.

But where else can you immediately be with nature and the open country after a few minutes walk. Heron, kingfishers, mink, voles, beautiful scenery, boats and something different around each bend.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I was brought up at Burscough near the Leeds and Liverpool canal and we have regularly walked from our house in Nelson along the canal.
We often walk the Thames path near our house

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:07 am

Hi FactualFrank, yes I do have some photos but it will take me some time to get them on the thread. Please bear with me whilst I work out how to do it!!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank