Rashford

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Re: Rashford

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:25 pm
I’ve said he deserves credit & he’s done brilliant, sod all the homeless who gives a stuff about them, it’s more important to let parents off feeding there OWN children & we’ll let the taxpayer pick the tab up instead, some taxpayers might not have children but sod them they can help feed other people’s kids.

You could apply your weird logic to all those in difficulty : those needing food banks, those relying on mental health support, those suffering from addictions and so on.

Why aren't their parents and families supporting them ? Why does the state have to pick up the bill ?
You and your crowd - I thought you'd all deserted this board after the new rules but hey, there you go - probably won't get this but people get support, officially or through charitable means, because we live in a decent, civilised society and most people are bright enough to realise that a lot of the difficulties these people encounter are not through choice.

All I can say is that we who have brought up children in a secure, safe and decent way should be pleased with a job well done but should also be bloody thankful that we were in a position to do so.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:09 pm

A voice shouldn’t be needed when it comes to ensuring that children don’t go hungry, but as one is, what a champion Rashford has proven himself to be.
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 dandeclaret

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm

More great work from Rashford today in challenging the companies supposedly providing £30 worth of food, looking as though they’re providing, at wholesale prices, less than £5 of food, and pocketing a big profit margin.

He really is a very impressive individual, and his actions are driving change across the country for people who need it.
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie JohnDearyMe Taffy on the wing ksrclaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:56 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
More great work from Rashford today in challenging the companies supposedly providing £30 worth of food, looking as though they’re providing, at wholesale prices, less than £5 of food, and pocketing a big profit margin.

He really is a very impressive individual, and his actions are driving change across the country for people who need it.
Rashford is like you say an impressive individual.........still hope he has a stinker tonight though!😉

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm

I never got the hype about Marcus the footballer but its helped Marcus get his food poverty message over.
Its importance for learning and how it impacts on kids futures cannot be overestimated. It's sad that some folk want to snipe and belittle his efforts to champion the underprivileged families in today's Britain.
I wish him well ,just not tonight

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Its worth remembering that Marcus Rashford could be doing nothing.

He doesn't have to denote his time and status to help tackle child poverty

He doesn't have to denote his time and status to help child literacy

He doesn't have to denote his time and status to promote being active (online classes)

Plenty of footballers do nothing. They don't use their status to promote good causes. Many do, but many don't.

Not just footballers. Film stars and pop stars, many do nothing to help society.

People that snipe at Rashford for helping those less fortunate are either feeling guilty for not helping, feeling guilty for helping create the problem (voting tory), or just using it as an excuse to be racist........or a combination of all 3
Last edited by Inchy on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan GodIsADeeJay81 ksrclaret

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1618 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm

He really is a model professional.

Well done again, Marcus Rashford.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm

A class act and bound to get a goal tonight.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Starmer can tell people they are being exploited and hard run by all he wants, but many of those that are hard done by don’t even know who Starmer is. They may know who Rashford is though.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a firm round of applause at grounds around the country, if fans were in of course.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Spiral wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:45 pm
Not being fatuous by saying this but the fact it is the DM is a legitimate part of the answer to your question. I'm not being a c.unt but let me explain. (And at the risk of getting this thread locked...please don't lock it mods!!! Please!!!)

Marcus Rashford's property dealings are gossip, not news. He's a private citizen, not an elected official. He has no accountability to the public, there's no conflict of interest which needs to be publicised in the public interest. I'll admit that it's a huge stretch to suggest the article is attacking him (because it most certainly is not) but you need to view the role of the Daily Mail's gossip articles as part of a wider strategy by the paper to fabricate context.

Man buys house: no story. Footballer buys house: no story. Footballer buys house to add to property portfolio: hmmm, fine, but still no story. Rich footballer owns property portfolio as part of buy-to-let business: hmmmmmm, landlords are bad, aren't they? Same footballer with buy-to-let property portfolio campaigns against child poverty: "HYPOCRITE!!!" Bingo! And there's the response the DM editors are looking for. And the reader comes back for more time and time again because that reaction is more visceral and feels more real than the experiences of most people's day-to-day life. The DM doesn't need to explicitly call Rashford a hypocrite, they just tell readers where or what to gawk at and give them a wink. You need to view the DM (and other tabloids - and left wing ones do this as well) as a sort of shooting gallery. They paint the targets, they invite the customers in, and they provide them with the weaponry. The DM doesn't need to tell its readers to fire, they provide a wall of context which can only be understood by looking at the output of the DM as a whole, and they let their readers come to their 'own' conclusions. (Apostrophes most definitely emphasised). In isolation this article means nothing. But as part of a wider commentary and wider relationship with its readership? You just need to look at the highest rated comments under that article. They know how to push their readers' buttons.
Hit the nail on the head there Spiral. You just need to ask the question. Why report that he has a property portfolio? In what way does that link to his great efforts to improve things for young kids?
The answer is, it doesn’t. Unless you have your own narrative that you want to push.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 1659 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:39 pm
A class act and bound to get a goal tonight.
I wish Mr Rashford well in all he does besides 2 x 90 minutes a year where I hope he has a **** time

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 pm

So it's deemed appropriate that kids should receive £30 worth of food a week, but the company providing the food is only giving £5 worth and the very rich company is pocketing the other £25. I am so shocked.

As for Marcus Rashford, I just thank God that he is getting involved in this because it seems he's the only one who can change anything. He's the very best of all of us, and his kindness, compassion, concern, and sheer desperation to look after people shames those who he has to go up against.

What an truly amazing young man he is.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Spiral wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 pm
Know why this is a good thing? It's obvious, obviously, but I remember being at school - the brutal macho posturing, the Mexican standoff where everyone is nervous of everyone else and nobody lets on that they're actually concerned about or paying too much attention to their education lest they be called a swot (trivial kids stuff, but it cuts deep when you're a kid), where everything, and I mean everything, was "gay", and a bit of encouragement or praise from a teacher made you automatically "gay", or a 'well done' meant you "fancied Mrs. so-and-so" - all this petty bull$hit found in the kind of working class, council-estate populated schools I went to has an inhibiting effect of a person's development: the celebration of brute strength (being "well hard") over academic achievement incubates the anti-intellectualism often found later in life if it's not reckoned with by an individual in early adulthood, and it can lead to ignorance being openly celebrated. The people who were dumb and loathsome back in school a few decades ago are often still every bit as dumb and loathsome today.

If there's only the narrowest overlap on the playground, school bus or PE changing rooms between literacy/hard work/intelligence and perceived social ability (and that delineation most definitely exists in the playground), it means kids don't value their education and in fact might see it is a barrier to their own social integration, which means they don't read or pay attention, meaning they don't learn the vocabulary to even comprehend, organise, and vocalise their own thoughts, to say nothing of how they progress in their studies. It's a recipe for neuroticism and stress later in life. A playground can be a brutal place, and some kids are so afraid of being outcast that they shun the whole concept of reading, or even trying. Proof? Just think about the idea of one student being a 'bad influence' on another otherwise attentive student. All of educational attainment, ALL of it is predicated on literacy. It's the keystone of a person's cognitive abilities, and it isn't always respected enough on the playground (or at least wasn't when I was at school). But here we are: a footballer with a significant platform, respected by kids as a living superhero, putting a recognisable and proud face to the very concept of reading, and normalising the whole thing, all the while putting himself in the crosshairs of the indignant blowhards in the grift industry. Bravo, lad, bravo. This is now a kid's logic: taking the pi$$ out of reading means taking the pi$$ out of Rashford; to read is to be like him. That alone is enough to have a positive effect. And that gives kids confidence to follow their interests, because if it's good enough for Rashford then it's good enough for them. Teachers and most parents do their absolute best, but sometimes that familiarity dulls the messages encouraging reading. When it comes from your idols, that's real encouragement that sinks in.
That Sir, is an outstanding piece of writing.

and a huge well done to Rashford... what a quality young man he is. Bet his mum is well proud, and rightly so.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:11 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a firm round of applause at grounds around the country, if fans were in of course.
I thought about that waiting for the game to start tonight, and I would applaud the lad if I was there tonight