falling out of love with football?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Re: falling out of love with football?

Post by claret2018 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am

I feel similar about PL football and I think COVID has just accelerated this sentiment.

If we get taken over by some cowboy outfit that will probably do it for me, and I’ll be spending my Saturdays watching Clitheroe FC instead.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 am

I know I'll get stick for this but I think I enjoyed watching us more in the lower leagues. Even though we were rubbish most of the time I felt connected and part of the club in a way that I just don't feel anymore. If we end up getting taken over by some Egyptians who've never been to Burnley in their lives I imagine this feeling will only increase.
Maybe once we can get back on things might seem different but I'm not so sure.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:22 am

I have been falling out of love of football
Since before Covid. Probably started after our European exit.

Burnley are not an interesting team to watch, both in terms of how we play and the clubs ambition. That’s not a criticism of the club, just the reality.

I still enjoy the match day experience but mainly because I get to see my mates and have a laugh. I used to love away games much more than home games but it’s difficult for me to do many of them due to having a young family. I also have other hobbies and at the moment I only have a limited amount of spare time due to work and having a young family.

I imagine my devotion to football and Burnley will return when my son is old enough to go on

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 am

I went on a walk yesterday with a mate, who rarely misses a game home or away, and is what you would call hardcore.
We both had similar thoughts and reason for the decline in our love for football.
The main irks we talked about were

Players always seeming to try and cheat, hood wink the ref and get the opposition sent off.
The majority of pundits and commentators condoning it or making up excuses for what/why they have done it.

The increasing political messages, from adverts, post match talk, in game actions, commentators talking about it, little banners popping up mid game and so on.
I might be alone with this, but I watch football as a release from the "real world", I make the choice to watch it in my spare leisure time, and most of all I want to watch a game of football.
If I want the news or the latest political debate, I'll go to the channels that provide that.

It seems the majority of clubs and players couldnt be further from reality compared to the supporters, the constant squeeze to get every last bit if time, emotion and money from them isnt nice to see.

TV companies are also doing similar.

Throw all of that together, and its no longer a good spectacle for me, I find it hard to even watch it on TV now.
Yes the lack of fans dilutes the experience, but even with them back all the other things still happen way too often.

I find it unbelievable I actually dont bother watching football if it's on anymore even the Suoer Sundays or the big game of the weekend, when a decade ago I would
have watched Linfield v Glentoran on a Monday night if it was on.
football was always the first thing I would try to find when I sat down, anything live, if not, then a re run/highlights, if not sky sports news and so on
Now to be honest it is a bit of a last resort.

Yes Covid and the mess Burnley find themselves in has probably ground me down a bit, and accelerated my dislike for football in general, but theres no doubt the premier league "brand" and all it does/stands for plays a major part. I really dislike a lot of it.

People might say well dont watch it then, dont go, dont buy it, don x, y and z then.
They're right, I'm doing that gradually and I finding I don't actually miss that much so it's easy to walk away from it bit by bit.
Who knows what it will take or if I finally walk away from it all completely.
Last edited by MACCA on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
These 2 users liked this post: RammyClaret61 Stayingup

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 am

I've found it hard to remain interested, mainly because such a central and important part of the game has temporarily been removed.

Without fans taking part, the whole thing starts to feel a bit pointless, like they're only playing these games to fulfill their legal obligations with TV networks and sponsors, which is necessary in order to keep clubs afloat.

Cold, hard economics is keeping the show on the road, but I can't say I'm particularly interested in watching it.

The situation at Burnley isn't doing much to help, either.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:48 am

It would be interesting to see if viewing figures are dropping off. Apart from watching Burnley I’ve given up on football, don’t even bother with MOTD.

Even watching Burnley feels like an effort. And I’m sick of the amount of times I’m having to shout, “SHOW THE EFFING GAME”, when the ball is in play but they’ve cut to a shot of the manager for no reason.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 am

I've felt like this for i while I think. Before covid.
The Premier league has done wonders for the clubs future but its dulled my enjoyment of following us. I struggle to get excited for the games outside of the 3pm Saturday kick off times. The revolting transfer fees, agent fees and player wages. Var, players kneeling down in the center circle pre match, pointless international games with with shite team selections and not being able to attend has probably just made me realise that there's probably better things to spend my time and money on.
I'm busy with a large project this weekend, so probably couldn't attend even if we were allowed to, but I had to check live scores yesterday to see when and who we are playing.
I feel similarly about boxing lately so maybe its my frame of mind

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:55 am

Personally I Carnt wait to get back watching Burnley, it's something I've done for over 50 years, and I miss it. It will be better as well when we are allowed back in, as all those so called fans who seem to be finding excuses not to go won't be there....... Or will they?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:03 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm
You never fall out of love with football . It’s in your blood whether you still go on matches or not .
Footballers have always dived, read the book on Harry Potts’ life and discover he was well known for his diving in his playing days in the 1940s.
Refs have always favoured the big clubs.
While fans can’t go on matches at the moment this is a temporary thing. I think part of the reason people think they are ‘ falling out of love’ with football is that they are exposing themselves too much to it , either on the TV or mainstream/social media.
Have a break if you feel that bad about it
Harry Potts didn't become political or run a contract down.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 am
I never understood the switching between watching football and rugby ,there is no comparison between beating a man with the ball at your feet and scoring.
Anyone can pick up the ball and run with it.
The watching live sport on tv is often marred not by crap refs,although they dont help, but crap comments off the pundits.What Keith Andrews knows about football would sit on the end of a pin
I agree Woodley there is no comparison between the two and that has been emphasised during the current supporter free period. Stripped back, the very core of the professional game is uncovered, the integrity exposed, one is fairing far better than the other.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am

I agree the comments of the football commentators is a big turn off for many. Yesterday I watched a game where an ex referee was used to comment on incidents. A player was slightly touched in the box but stayed on his feet. I think most of us want to see this .It was off putting to hear this ex referee comment that the player was entitled to go down.
I can understand why some people watch TV games with the sound turned down.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 tim_noone

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 am

"Anyone can pick up a ball and run with it." :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6bKrs6gbWk

Can you imagine any footballer getting up and carrying on after any of these collisions ? They'd be calling for a funeral director not a medic.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:40 am

MACCA wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 am
I went on a walk yesterday with a mate, who rarely misses a game home or away, and is what you would call hardcore.
We both had similar thoughts and reason for the decline in our love for football.
The main irks we talked about were

Players always seeming to try and cheat, hood wink the ref and get the opposition sent off.
The majority of pundits and commentators condoning it or making up excuses for what/why they have done it.

The increasing political messages, from adverts, post match talk, in game actions, commentators talking about it, little banners popping up mid game and so on.
I might be alone with this, but I watch football as a release from the "real world", I make the choice to watch it in my spare leisure time, and most of all I want to watch a game of football.
If I want the news or the latest political debate, I'll go to the channels that provide that.

It seems the majority of clubs and players couldnt be further from reality compared to the supporters, the constant squeeze to get every last bit if time, emotion and money from them isnt nice to see.

TV companies are also doing similar.

Throw all of that together, and its no longer a good spectacle for me, I find it hard to even watch it on TV now.
Yes the lack of fans dilutes the experience, but even with them back all the other things still happen way too often.

I find it unbelievable I actually dont bother watching football if it's on anymore even the Suoer Sundays or the big game of the weekend, when a decade ago I would
have watched Linfield v Glentoran on a Monday night if it was on.
football was always the first thing I would try to find when I sat down, anything live, if not, then a re run/highlights, if not sky sports news and so on
Now to be honest it is a bit of a last resort.

Yes Covid and the mess Burnley find themselves in has probably ground me down a bit, and accelerated my dislike for football in general, but theres no doubt the premier league "brand" and all it does/stands for plays a major part. I really dislike a lot of it.

People might say well dont watch it then, dont go, dont buy it, don x, y and z then.
They're right, I'm doing that gradually and I finding I don't actually miss that much so it's easy to walk away from it bit by bit.
Who knows what it will take or if I finally walk away from it all completely.
I agree with a lot of that tbh. Even pre covid things had gone a bit stale. Maybe it's because we've been in the same league for a few years but I found even big games against the likes of Liverpool and Man U there was no real buzz or excitement about the Turf. Along with our away followings seeming to get smaller every year.
I don't think I could ever stop going completely, but I definitely think i'll be picking and choosing my games more in future and going to more non league footy.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:45 am

Elizabeth wrote:
You never fall out of love with football . It’s in your blood whether you still go on matches or not .
Footballers have always dived, read the book on Harry Potts’ life and discover he was well known for his diving in his playing days in the 1940s.
While fans can’t go on matches at the moment this is a temporary thing. I think part of the reason people think they are ‘ falling out of love’ with football is that they are exposing themselves too much to it , either on the TV or mainstream/social media.
I disagree with this bit. 10 years ago I was scouting for the club pretty much every Saturday and Sunday all year (mornings in the season and full days in the summer did it for just short of 10 years and never got paid), I would attend Gawthorpe on a Friday to assist with introducing new players and providing updates on players, on a Wednesday I would help run the development centre in Halifax. I would attend Burnley games, all at home and most away, and spend many evenings talking to players and fellow scouts about players.

Then EPPP rules came in, and that broke it for me. I stopped scouting, I stopped assisting and I stopped going to Burnley games. In the last 8 years I have attended 2 games. Swansea at home and Shamrock Rovers in a pre season friendly here in Dublin. I try and watch Burnley when on TV, but don't change plans to do it. Whereas for Horse Racing, Cricket, Photography, Music Gigs or Travel I would change most plans.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), you definitely can fall out of love with football.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 am

I’m sorry to hear that dande , having had your football life affected in that way must have been difficult when you had put so much into the club and football

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:59 am

For me it's not so much the EPL, it's more a case of the entertainment (I use this term loosely) served up. Over the last couple of seasons, the entertainment Burnley have served up, has been really poor in the main.
Football is about entertainment, I don't feel we get that currently :cry:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am

As an ex referee yourself Ashington, I’m not surprised you find some of these paid comments from ex professional referees difficult to swallow.
One of the skills that sets footballers apart is good balance and to see it abused by so many of them is why they are cheating everything that is good about the game.
Turning the sound off is something that can be done but what do we do about having to watch the likes of Grealish go down clutching his ankle after every foul on him even if it’s a push in the back. Maybe listen to the radio commentary instead of watching on TV ?
Last edited by Elizabeth on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 am

Football is my ex girlfriend I've moved on. Had dates with different activities and really enjoying what's out there. I'm sure like everyone's ex me and football will bump into each other now and again.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 am

I’d say I’ve lost interest in the Prem, rather than football or Burnley. VAR had almost totally killed my enjoyment pre-lockdown. Watching these training games now on TV in empty stadiums with video refs is impossible, I don’t even watch us anymore.

Unfortunately for now, I’ve found other things to do, non-league and grassroots is way more ‘real’ and enjoyable. Even if we’re allowed back in Spring, we won’t be going.

Having said that, being back in the football league, plenty of 3pm kick offs, proper derby matches and no VAR.. that would probably coax us back. So sadly, it’ll take a relegation to get the Notts’ back on the Turf.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:29 am

Diving is something that has evolved over the years.

Football is seen as a “man’s man” sport full of banter and bravado. When people see players diving it’s a bit too “poncey” for that kind of crowd. That’s why older fans recall the good old days where players will get kicked and assaulted and all was fine. Younger fans than those (middle aged) will always bring up rugby and how those that play it are “harder” than footballers. Younger fans watch MMA now and footballers are “soft” as opposed to that.

What I’ saying is diving and gaining an advantage is seen as cheating, but for years assaulting, kicking, lunging at opponents was perfectly accepted and fine, cos it’s “manly”.

All that harsh tackling did is evolve diving to what it is. Even growing up in the 90s tough tackling was still part of them game. Things change. If your a footballer on the receiving end you’re going to jump out of the way. One thing led to another and before long players clocked on there’s an advantage to be gained from doing it. It’s now evolved to where it is today, where the slightest of touches sends a player down. Is it good to see? No. But is it anymore “cheating” than lunging in like they used to? No. It’s just not manly.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am

I definitely don't want us to be relegated, but I am, like many others disillusioned with some aspects of the modern game, especially in the PL. Tackling or any kind of physical contact is now deemed a foul, the big clubs teach players how to con refs from a very early age, outside the big 6 clubs you're only there to make up the numbers and VAR is simply ridiculous. Also, as others have said, watching on TV has never held much interest for me and now the stadiums are empty it's even worse and I hardly ever tune in, unless it's us. I haven't fallen out of love with the game as such (yet) because ultimately for me the, the game is still all about Burnley, but if I can't get back to the pubs, the Turf, the train, the away games, the mates etc anytime soon, then who knows?
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:34 am

In a way I hope our first match back would be midweek, full house under the lights.......takeover sorted, a couple of quality new signings.a bit of drizzle to remind me it’s Burnley, and Aroma for a curry afterwards!

Oh and a win would be nice (and rather unusual at the moment)

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 am

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:34 am
In a way I hope our first match back would be midweek, full house under the lights.......takeover sorted, a couple of quality new signings.a bit of drizzle to remind me it’s Burnley, and Aroma for a curry afterwards!

Oh and a win would be nice (and rather unusual at the moment)
For all I’m fed up with modern football, the thought of a cold damp night at the football (ideally with a win, as you say) doesn’t half evoke good memories that I can’t wait to have back.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:45 am

Football under the floodlights - one definition of heaven

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 am
I’m sorry to hear that dande , having had your football life affected in that way must have been difficult when you had put so much into the club and football
No, not really. I always knew there was a world of different opportunities and activities out there, and I’d say that my life is now a much healthier mix of things than when I was so involved.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am
I agree the comments of the football commentators is a big turn off for many. Yesterday I watched a game where an ex referee was used to comment on incidents. A player was slightly touched in the box but stayed on his feet. I think most of us want to see this .It was off putting to hear this ex referee comment that the player was entitled to go down.
I can understand why some people watch TV games with the sound turned down.
And "that" for me is killing the game....non players off the fcuking green please!!!!

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am

My Sky Sports package was up for renewal in July and was going to cancel and now wished I had as I now watch hardly any matches the Tottenham v West Ham was the last one, don’t even watch MOTD.

What I have started watching is The Big Match revisited on a Saturday morning and really enjoying it, the football seemed more honest and yesterday they had an FA Cup game West Ham v Swindon 4th round from 1975, the stadium was rammed, no teams “rested players” and it made me realise how much I miss the FA Cup last year against Norwich watching a game in a half empty stadium with 1st team players left out showed how much money is ruining this game. A game where the sole aim is to not chase silverware but survive in order to get the skewed riches one league has to offer. A game where big teams make people redundant to pay players £350k a week

The longer this situation goes on the more my love for the game at the top level will diminish.

My love for football remains the same found myself watching from a distance an amateur game in Towneley Park a few weeks ago.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

firstclaret
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by firstclaret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:20 pm

Have watched big match revisited last couple of weeks, saw Malcolm Allison saying that fans don’t want to see all these stoppages, that was in the seventies! And also saw Phil Parkes and three others each grab a limb of an injured QPR player and carry him off the pitch.

The stoppages are ruining the flow of the game and the tv companies are sub controlling referee decisions, this is because they can’t sell Burnley, Bournemouth or Huddersfield around the world and would rather see us relegated, whilst ensuring that Man Utd get into Europe every year.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I'm sick to death of coming on to read the news the next day and it being nothing but full of VAR stories and how they messed it up. Obviosuly the dodgy ones always go the way you expect

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Pepes head touches alioski and he goes down like he has been shot.

Watching premier league football is genuinely painful. 22 players just trying to cheat there way to a victory.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 pm
Pepes head touches alioski and he goes down like he has been shot.

Watching premier league football is genuinely painful. 22 players just trying to cheat there way to a victory.
Pepe was stupid but Alioski manufactured the head-but and made far more of it than was there. Deserved a red but still cheating :(
This user liked this post: Bosscat

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:01 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 am
"Anyone can pick up a ball and run with it."
https://tenor.com/view/tackle-running-w ... f-10597713

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Usually I'm a bit of a statto and know far too much, what's going on.

I basically don't know much of where anyone is placed in the Premier League just now. Football is more on the TV than being watched.

Football and to be honest most sports need a crowd. I tried watching Boxing last night and it was painful, really painful.

Like ClaretTony said earlier, supporting a football club is more than the 90 minutes though, it's about the whole day and being with whoever makes your personal football family.

It's about nights like York, Plymouth, Chelsea, Aberdeen, Istanbul and Athens. Those I was there moments, supporting from an armchair can never ever replicate those moments. The hugging strangers when we snatch a 90th minute winner, the finally turning the tables at Deadwood.

I took a sabatical and stopped going away games for a season or two, randomly I decided to go to Charlton like you do. I tell you walking into a pub a see full of familiar faces was brilliant, when Andy Gray scored later that day and I fell down the stairs celebrating to pick myself up a mere few feet from our scorer.

So Tony is right, it is much more than 90 minutes, it's the build up, the anticipation, that pint with friends and finally the match itself.

You can make memories watching us on TV, but not memories that last a lifetime like seeing Rocky by the Bosphorus in Istanbul.
These 5 users liked this post: Dark Cloud longsidepies DomBFC1882 Anonymous HunterST_BFC

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:14 pm

depechedingle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm
I basically don't know much of where anyone is placed in the Premier League just now.
Until an hour ago, I thought we were away tomorrow evening :o

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm

After playing and watching the game for 45 years now I do still love it.
I still love playing and I still love Burnley FC.
I love World Cup tournaments and the Euros too.

Do I love all these as much now as at other times in my life ? Definitely not - especially taking a couple of days to recover and getting injured all the time !!
There are many aspects of watching football I dislike a lot now - not going to list them as many have been mentioned on here.

I am pretty sure football will always bring me enjoyment and I can’t really imagine a time where it would not be in my life in some form....but it’s already starting to feel like the memories of playing and watching football are much better than the here and now.

Having no crowds at these games is so soul destroying though. Hopefully this time next year we can all be back watching and this will become one of those horrible memories like getting beat at home 6-0 by Hereford !

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 pm

I was listening to a podcast the other day with two American ladies discussing a program they were once in. Anyway, to describe someone barely being hit and falling over they said in their own words but something similar to. "you know, like soccer when they barely get hit and they fall to the floor like they're in so much pain". It seems to be universally expected, they weren't saying how hilarious it was but rather matter of factly, and they don't know anything about football.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Like quite a few posters I'm missing the day out interrupted by football, both home and away. Leaving Burnley at the age of 4, and ending up living in Lancaster, going home or away has always been just that, a day out. I miss bumping into people I only see at the football, in the towns and cities across England and occasionally beyond. I can't wait to get back to that.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Don't even watch MOTD now, totally lost interest.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:33 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm
I used to watch it almost every week but haven’t seen it once this season. But that’s mainly because there’s only two games on it of which I probably saw one live.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:33 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm
Not watched in a few months.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Can't believe I'm saying it as it was my primary interest, im just not interested....suppose its the times we are in. So lucky I live in a small village, surrounded by hills...if it wasn't for my walking with my Golden Retriever I'd have gone stir crazy.

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm
I am rapidly falling out of love with football.

VAR
Over paid footballs diving all over the pitch.
Refs being biased to the big clubs.

Is anyone else feeling the same?
Think your falling out with football because we're in the bottom 3 ..all these things were here last season ....a bit like rovers fans boycotting because of venkys...if they get in prem ...they'll be back

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
You've lost me there. I never suggested breaking the rules, what I did suggest is planning ahead. We can't say somebody is going to be alone for Christmas, before we know the rules. It's very very likely, that we can all meet up with close family.
But many people will still think its not worth the risk despite what’s allowed and what isnt.
Better to make sure everyone is still around for next Christmas and those after.
4 households mixing for 5 days is a recipe for super spreading.

If we assume the figure of I in a 100 people have the virus, then 1 in 8 of those 4 household gatherings will have someone attending who has the virus.

Not good odds in my opinion.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:26 am

Almost every match, there is a contentious issue that referees, with the help of VAR, get hopelessly wrong.

Tomas Soucek's red card against Fulham is a prime example. Apparently Mike Dean has been told that he got it wrong. No sh!t Sherlock!

Contentious issues are nothing new but they are analysed to the n'th degree by pundits who "know better". A classic followed Salah's dive yesterday: "Salah accepts the contact". NO ! He dived ! He cheated ! And the referees (on the pitch and at Stockley Park, let him get away with it.

These are the things that are are driving folk away from football
This user liked this post: ten bellies

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:41 am

Desperately need fans back as soon as possible. Apart from our games i've pretty much lost interest in watchibg on TV now.

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:10 pm

I was starting to watch non-league stuff prior to lockdown and really enjoying it. What gets me now is just how normalised lots of bad stuff has become and it's embarasing.

How often does a player go down squealing and holding their face. The reay show minimal (if any head/face contact). We then get the while performance including the obligatory check inside the mouth etc.

In the replay it shows, at best, a soft hand on the shoulder. The pundits either ignore it completely or engage in mental gymnastics to rationalise. What doesn't happen is any accountability because what the player is trying to do is get the other person sent off.

The games is now mainly about winning fouls and penalties. Players in the box will ensure they find contact with a trailing leg or make an awkward stance if the ball is dropping to them ensures a calf is brushed by a defender.

In non-league players spend most of their time not trying to win fouls, as such it's often more entertaining. Certainly more honest and relatable.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:27 pm

The diving and play-acting is the thing that's ruining it for me. It can be difficult for refs and VAR to distinguish between a dive and a genuine foul - the slo-mo VAR replay doesn't always help the situation so banning a player for diving would be a massive subjective grey area.

Maybe banning penalties altogether and only awarding a free kick from the edge of the box might make a player stay on his feet and not go 'looking' for contact.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
I think the point you may be missing about diving is, yes it’s always been around, but it used to be the exception rather than the rule. These days it is endemic in the game. I’m sure it is now part of training at some clubs (Arsenal?). And I don’t recall even 30 years ago or less a player being fairly tackled and going down clutching his face. It is also being endorsed on TV now with pundits calling it ‘simulation’ instead of what it is, cheating, and saying things like ‘There was contact so he had a right to go down’. No-one can legitimately compare the cheating of the past with today because even players and managers (Dyche) have commented on it.
I am falling out of love to a degree but it is nothing to do with not being able to attend and everything to do with the cheating and the stupidly ridiculous amounts of money these guys get. Like many I seem to find going to Stanley more enjoyable in many ways than watching the PL. Yes the skill level in the PL is far higher but much of the time these over paid prima donnas don’t even put in the effort that they should for the coin they get.
I won’t fallout with football but I could easily fall out with the PL and I think that is what many people are saying here, unless I’m wrong.
These 2 users liked this post: LeadBelly scamander

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:48 pm

scamander wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:10 pm
I was starting to watch non-league stuff prior to lockdown and really enjoying it. What gets me now is just how normalised lots of bad stuff has become and it's embarasing.

How often does a player go down squealing and holding their face. The reay show minimal (if any head/face contact). We then get the while performance including the obligatory check inside the mouth etc.

In the replay it shows, at best, a soft hand on the shoulder. The pundits either ignore it completely or engage in mental gymnastics to rationalise. What doesn't happen is any accountability because what the player is trying to do is get the other person sent off.

The games is now mainly about winning fouls and penalties. Players in the box will ensure they find contact with a trailing leg or make an awkward stance if the ball is dropping to them ensures a calf is brushed by a defender.

In non-league players spend most of their time not trying to win fouls, as such it's often more entertaining. Certainly more honest and relatable.
Yup. You watch non-league live and then a VAR Premier League game on telly and you can see how two quite different sports are moving away from each other. I can see me spending more time watching the former rather than the latter. The skill level isn't as high but it's a far more enjoyable afternoon.
These 4 users liked this post: LeadBelly Ashingtonclaret46 MrTopTier scamander

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:40 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:48 pm
Yup. You watch non-league live and then a VAR Premier League game on telly and you can see how two quite different sports are moving away from each other. I can see me spending more time watching the former rather than the latter. The skill level isn't as high but it's a far more enjoyable afternoon.
Completely agree with you Notts, although the game at the lower league levels is still very watchable and full of lads plying their trade, officials doing their best without the encumbrance of VAR and playing to Laws which, these days, are slightly different in their interpretation at these levels than they are at PL level.
The Northern League up here is very competitive and has quite a number of young players who have been given the thumbs down at various academies but want to play and are well worth watching. I just hope that they are able to continue at some stage in the future, however, I fear that it will now be next season before thay resume and a few clubs may well fall by the wayside.