Rolls Royce abandoned the home of the jet engine.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Re: Rolls Royce abandoned the home of the jet engine.

Post by Pstotto » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm

I don't know if you've seen 'dwarf cars' on Youtube, I wrote to RR about Mini Rolls but no reply. Perhaps the workforce can be remployed to mend old toy cars for Oxfam whatever, you know... Like they do on BBC.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:35 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 pm
Why make this post political?

Loads of people are losing their jobs as a result of a decision made by the people that lead the business. There has been an invite for the business to ask/suggest what government support would be required to stop this happening. Warren East has chosen not to take up this offer.

A statement issued yesterday/this week following the announcement of 140 more jobs going clarified they were not interested in the support of the government.

I expect this thread to be closed now given that it has shamefully been brought back to politics when the real culprits of this are the people that run the business making these decisions.
“Why make this post political?” I don’t think anybody is not with any purposeful conviction anyhow, the union are just as bad as RR management if certain conditions aren’t met unite refuse to engage with the management, plenty of measures could have been discussed perhaps compromises to avert any strike action, regarding the viability of any government intervention well first of all the government need to be willing to back any RR proposals & even then it’d probably be some sort of a loan, RR have already spunked cash injections before you would be throwing good money away after bad. You could pay people for doing nothing because that’s what you are effectively looking at with the absence of demand.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 pm

I don’t know why but I find all of this stuff fascinating. It’s a different world to my employment

Regardless of who is at fault the fact is many families are going into Xmas with a a huge cloud hanging over their financial future. It must be awful and I feel for them

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Inchy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 pm
I don’t know why but I find all of this stuff fascinating. It’s a different world to my employment

Regardless of who is at fault the fact is many families are going into Xmas with a a huge cloud hanging over their financial future. It must be awful and I feel for them

To be fair, even though I knew what was coming it brought me to tears. I felt I had wasted 23 years of my life. So many friends losing their jobs, it is so sad.
These 2 users liked this post: clarethomer Zlatan

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:46 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 pm
To be fair, even though I knew what was coming it brought me to tears. I felt I had wasted 23 years of my life. So many friends losing their jobs, it is so sad.

You haven’t wasted 23 years. You were involved with revolutionary manufacturing.

I worked for just over a year in manufacturing deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I pressed 3 buttons a day, for 8 hours. I used that time to realise that I didn’t want to spend my life doing this and thankfully everything lined up and I now have a worthwhile career. But plenty of people spend there entire career pressing those 3 buttons.

Making jet engines at the forefront of technical advancement is not a waste.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Inchy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:46 pm
You haven’t wasted 23 years. You were involved with revolutionary manufacturing.

I worked for just over a year in manufacturing deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I pressed 3 buttons a day, for 8 hours. I used that time to realise that I didn’t want to spend my life doing this and thankfully everything lined up and I now have a worthwhile career. But plenty of people spend there entire career pressing those 3 buttons.

Making jet engines at the forefront of technical advancement is not a waste.
The one thing I wanted to do was bring jobs to the north west. I did do that but this is a massive blow to the north west.

Stacky_claret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by Stacky_claret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:46 am
I’m surprised that they’ve picked a plant within an EU country, where there’s known trading agreements in place. But still.... probably nowt to do with that eh?
I would imagine there will be a lot more to follow unfortunately 🙁

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:51 pm
It’s a toy Engine, I didn’t get one as my service was just short of 25 years.
You can share mine Lowbank.
20190201_092938.jpg
20190201_092938.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1610 times
These 3 users liked this post: Cirrus_Minor The Enclosure KateR

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 pm

cbx750 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:45 pm
You can share mine Lowbank.

20190201_092938.jpg
Thank you!!!

I did want to get to 25 years but Covid stopped that.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:57 pm

Was talking to a good friend that worked at the majority of the RR sites as an employee and consultant, told me some very interesting stories but ultimately said Barlick didn’t embrace the change required many years ago. He loves the place and lived there but said the management there have themselves to blame
This user liked this post: Zlatan

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm
Sir Frank Whittle invented the jet engine at the factory in Barnoldswick.
The first big airliner jet engine was developed in Barnoldswick, named the Rolls Barnoldswick 211.

Today RR announced its intent to move the part of the factory to Spain it had so far said was safe.
That leaves work for about 60 people on a site that employed 1000 in January.
Any part made that cost £10,000 in Jan will now cost £100,000.
A consequence of an own goal Leave EU vote, I suppose, owing to 'risks of tariffs, as deal not completed. Businesses have to hedge their bets.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:32 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 pm
A consequence of an own goal Leave EU vote, I suppose, owing to 'risks of tariffs, as deal not completed. Businesses have to hedge their bets.
That's it Ian, bring a political movement into a thread on a board that has banned political discussion - given that the only response to this is to draw discussions around the politics of brexit - I would ask you to refrain from these kind of posts on this. I think it's important to raise the awareness of what is happening but keep it factual. At no point has the reasons for this happening been given as down to the reasons you are referring to.
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubclaret Vino blanco

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:36 pm

I take your point Clarethomer. It was just an observation, this will be a recurring theme next year. Not trying to start a debate. It is just a crying shame for the people involved.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:57 pm
Was talking to a good friend that worked at the majority of the RR sites as an employee and consultant, told me some very interesting stories but ultimately said Barlick didn’t embrace the change required many years ago. He loves the place and lived there but said the management there have themselves to blame
Honestly, I would say there were corporate mistakes, management mistakes and employee actions that have all led to this very very sad outcome.
But there was always a core of great people who wanted to do their best, that’s the people I feel sorry for.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:09 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 pm
I guess on the basis of that logic, it’s wise to conclude Singapore & Japan as well as Spain must also belong in the EU, I already accurately predicted months ago the futuristic business shift would be geared towards smaller planes as the world was & had changed.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... ke-up.html

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:53 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 pm
Thank you!!!

I did want to get to 25 years but Covid stopped that.
You didn’t get one for doing 25 yrs. I retired early in 2014 having done 37 yrs. For 25 yrs service I got a tie :lol: , and a tiny brass clock (with a flat battery), in a brass housing, that appeared to have been milled by a day one apprentice, the finish was so rough, you could literally strike a match on it.
For retirement, I got a framed picture of a jet engine signed by colleagues, and a stainless steel watch with the RR logo on. Absolutely no use to me as I treated myself to a lovely Tag Heuer a couple of years earlier.
We used to make the engines in the Training School. Profile turning the main body/casing, and milling the fan blades on a dividing head set up. We used to cut out a bracket on Fitting, to hang the engine on, and mount on a wooden plinth with a brass plaque on.
They stopped giving them out for a retirement gift in the 80’s, as too many staff were leaving. They were then only presented to senior staff, managers etc.
Another kick in the teeth to loyal staff, in typical Rolls Royce Barnoldswick style.
I feel genuinely sorry for most of the workforce, especially the younger ones, but not for a lot of the senior “management team”, who could not run a bath.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm
Honestly, I would say there were corporate mistakes, management mistakes and employee actions that have all led to this very very sad outcome.
But there was always a core of great people who wanted to do their best, that’s the people I feel sorry for.
Yeah, I was never employed by RR but am genuinely gutted because I was proud to have the company in my area. Had many good friends and family work there, and always enjoyed my time working on site.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:53 pm
You didn’t get one for doing 25 yrs. I retired early in 2014 having done 37 yrs. For 25 yrs service I got a tie :lol: , and a tiny brass clock (with a flat battery), in a brass housing, that appeared to have been milled by a day one apprentice, the finish was so rough, you could literally strike a match on it.
For retirement, I got a framed picture of a jet engine signed by colleagues, and a stainless steel watch with the RR logo on. Absolutely no use to me as I treated myself to a lovely Tag Heuer a couple of years earlier.
We used to make the engines in the Training School. Profile turning the main body/casing, and milling the fan blades on a dividing head set up. We used to cut out a bracket on Fitting, to hang the engine on, and mount on a wooden plinth with a brass plaque on.
They stopped giving them out for a retirement gift in the 80’s, as too many staff were leaving. They were then only presented to senior staff, managers etc.
Another kick in the teeth to loyal staff, in typical Rolls Royce Barnoldswick style.
I feel genuinely sorry for most of the workforce, especially the younger ones, but not for a lot of the senior “management team”, who could not run a bath.
The rules as I understood them were you got an engine if you had done 25 years. People were still getting them this year who were at my level and below.

One of the biggest problems in Engineering today is very few designers, Managers and Engineers have actually run a machine or cut a piece of metal.
Also graduates, it’s now culture to move jobs every 18 months and not build up any experience. So the company only has knowledge that lasts two years and the same mistakes are made over and over again. No one listens to experienced Engineers any more.

Going to be some very challenging years for RR going forward.

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 pm
The rules as I understood them were you got an engine if you had done 25 years.
I took redundancy/retirement from the shop floor in Jan 2019. Seven people left our section that day and the 3 of us with 25 years got engines the others got nothing which left a bad taste for many.
For 25 years I got a framed certificate a pen and £250.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:53 pm

cbx750 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm
I took redundancy/retirement from the shop floor in Jan 2019. Seven people left our section that day and the 3 of us with 25 years got engines the others got nothing which left a bad taste for many.
After 23years, I got nothing. But the pandemic did double my pension pot.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:36 pm

cbx750 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:47 pm
[quote=Lowbankclaret post_id=<a href="tel:1431523">1431523</a> time=<a href="tel:1607191601">1607191601</a> user_id=55]
The rules as I understood them were you got an engine if you had done 25 years.
[/quote]
Obviously the goalposts have moved re- getting an engine. Personally, after 37 yrs the last thing I need on my limestone fireplace is a mini jet engine :lol: . I think my next goalpost would have been £400 for 40years. £10 for every year!! I’m glad I left when I did. Big pension and no £400. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:09 pm

I left 20 years ago ,I got 70 grand and a massive pension which keeps going up and up. Phook the toy engines.
These 2 users liked this post: Claretitus IanMcL

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:09 pm
I left 20 years ago ,I got 70 grand and a massive pension which keeps going up and up. Phook the toy engines.
Hope you have enjoyed your retirement so far!

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm
Well I know I have! Not having to get up every day,dealing with idiots who couldn’t run a corner shop. Honestly, the day I walked out of that turnstile for the last time, I pis**d myself laughing all the way back to Burnley. £1000 a month and £150K. God bless RR. ;)

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:59 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 pm
The rules as I understood them were you got an engine if you had done 25 years. People were still getting them this year who were at my level and below.

One of the biggest problems in Engineering today is very few designers, Managers and Engineers have actually run a machine or cut a piece of metal.
Also graduates, it’s now culture to move jobs every 18 months and not build up any experience. So the company only has knowledge that lasts two years and the same mistakes are made over and over again. No one listens to experienced Engineers any more.

Going to be some very challenging years for RR going forward.
The graduate thing is a big deal, we brought some unbelievably smart lads in and they had zero people skills, you asked them to spend time on the shop floor with some old school engineers bullying them and it destroyed them. I had one lad in my office and he told me on his first day he was going to be CEO, had the brains but lasted 5 minutes before they shipped him off. I’ve no doubt he will have gone and done well in life but you need to really assess their personality and character not just the top grades.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR IanMcL

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:24 pm

I understand that RR don't provide references to prospective employers.
All they will give out is a statement indicating that a person was employed by them and the dates of service.

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Graduates and skilled men are miles apart. That's why rolls at barlick is going where its going. Too many graduates in charge, with no idea about the product.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Barlickclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:25 pm
Graduates and skilled men are miles apart. That's why rolls at barlick is going where its going. Too many graduates in charge, with no idea about the product.
Yep, absolutely. I once watched a graduate stand over the shoulder of a fitter, as he did a weld repair on a component. He was so amazed, he actually prodded the said part as the operator lifted up the visor on his welding helmet. As they led him off to the surgery with the skin melted on his finger, he said “I didn’t realise it would be hot”!! FFS! :o
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:43 pm

😂😂 He's probably the M D now.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:49 pm

He didn’t last long. Don’t know what’re he ended up.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 pm

You can only milk a cow for so long
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:52 pm

charlyt wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:24 pm
All they will give out is a statement indicating that a person was employed by them and the dates of service.
Correct and Employees cannot provide references either.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm
I certainly have mate,hope you are enjoying yours too. 8-)

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:28 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 pm
Well I know I have! Not having to get up every day,dealing with idiots who couldn’t run a corner shop. Honestly, the day I walked out of that turnstile for the last time, I pis**d myself laughing all the way back to Burnley. £1000 a month and £150K. God bless RR. ;)
Spot on Claretitus. :D

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 pm

charlyt wrote:
Trust me that is very very common these days.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:27 pm
I certainly have mate,hope you are enjoying yours too. 8-)
I am starting too, just feel sorry the people I left behind and cannot help.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:07 am

charlyt wrote:
Standard practise for almost all employers these days: dates of employment and job title of the job they held when leaving. Maybe a little disclaimer..." we are able to confirm...." "policy to limit references to these items" and "no liability...."

It was said to me once, as a manager, that if I wrote in a reference that ex-employee was a good member of the team, the new employer may not be looking for a "good team member" - they may want something different and, so, fail the new employee during their probation period.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:10 am

Barlickclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:43 pm
😂😂 He's probably the M D now.
No he works in a chinese chippy.

Every customer that comes in and orders, he says, "Sore finger"

Most say yes please.