How was/is your Football Disciplinary record?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

How was/is your Football Disciplinary record?

Post by mkmel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:47 am

I played competitive football from the age of 10 up until the age of about 34

And in all of that time I was only booked once and sent off once

Re the sending off I was the victim of a bad tackle that knocked me to the ground. I am not a violent type but I was so angry that I quickly got up and hit the guy and a few punches were exchanged. We both got sent off. I got a ridiculous £20 fine which was a lot of money in those days and was suspended for 3 games. It was in the early 70's on the day that Red Rum won the Grand National after catching the long time leader of the race Crisp

What about your disciplinary record?
Many or even no bookings or sendings off?

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: How was/is your Football Disciplinary record?

Post by BenWickes » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:34 am

Played a variety of positions. In fact all except striker. Picked up quite a few bookings as a midfielder and a defender. Never sent off though. They shoved me out in my favoured position as a winger where I could create less havoc/injuries to the opposition and realised I was a natural and caused more havoc without the bookings. Ironically they reluctantly played me left back in one game but I think the winger position helped me positionally. None of the usual bone cruncher tackles. I won everything fairly and got MOM. I could hear them on the touchline when I went in for tackles. 'Oh no!...great tackle'. I only started in that game as our first choice left back had been sent off in the previous game for punching a player and breaking his jaw. THAT was definitely a sending off offence :lol:

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:50 am

I dont know if anyone can remember a guy called Tommy Riley from the 70s he was a referee in the Bacup & District football league,and worked for Masco in Waterfoot,he sent me off in a Saturday game,when we both got to work on Monday morning...the debate went on and on,we actually worked together no favouritism there then Tommy.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 am

I didn't play much other than for Marsden Junior and Edge End High schools and then at college at Bradford but generally managed to steer clear of trouble even as a centre half.
Playing until relatively recently in the local Swadlincote 5 a side league cost me a bit in fines, some right niggly little scrotes playing in there.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 am

Only ever received one yellow card.....and that was for a shirt pull on the half way line. Gutted!

Not bad for someone who played either centre half or defensive midfielder for 25 years though (and could be very chirpy towards officials).

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am

I was a dirty b@stard of a centre half, win the ball at all cost and give it to someone who could play, who used to play twice and sometimes 3 times on the weekend. However I was never booked let alone sent off playing 11 a side.

My only ever booking came playing 6 a side midweek league in the gym behind the Longside

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am

Only 1 yellow card, after playing a variety of positions such as CB for about 12 years.
Should have had a ref when I handled the ball on the line at uni once, but a visiting supporter was ref!
The yellow came about ten years ago, in a teachers' game at the grand old age of 35 or so...unbelievable! :D

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:24 am

Got booked and then sent off for putting my foot up at the keeper as he was kicking out of hand. In both cases I was about 3yds from the keeper and the ref was on the halfway line. I wasn’t putting my foot AT him I was trying to block the kick. Rankles to this day.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 am

One sending off for a professional foul. Cup competition, 85th minute, we were 3-2 up and their striker had me on toast for pace. Did the noble thing and kicked his knees together. Game finished 3-2 and the rest of the lads paid my fine amid great laughter.

Other than that, nothing.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am

Sent off once playing 6 a side in the Turf Moor gym. Pretty good going as there were a couple of feisty characters on our side and we had a couple of mass brawls in our games, one of which i ended up in the opposite area as part of the melee. This went unpunished. I then got a straight red after the ref gave 3 free kicks in quick succession to the opposition and i asked if he was only looking one way. No bad language, no previous warnings, just a straight red for that.

When i got the charge sheet, it quoted something like Law 13 Section Q. My then father in law was a qualified ref so i asked him what i was charged with and the law only went as far as section P. I appealed on those grounds and had the red downgraded to a yellow. Quite happy with that as we were neck and neck with another side (Leyland Raiders) at the top of the division and we had to play them in what would effectively be a decider. Would have been a difficult ask without a keeper! Anyway, i escaped suspension, we narrowly beat the Raiders and then won our last game 5-0 to clinch the title.

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 am

Played from the age of 9 until I was 51. Played in every position on the pitch as I am two footed. Even played in nets once when the keeper got sent off. Played Saturday and Sunday and got booked twice and sent off 3 times. I do miss playing you can’t beat wining a 50/50 against someone and leaving a bit in there for good measure.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am

I played hundreds of games over many years in several locations as a "determined" full back; was never sent off and booked only twice.

I started playing for junior school team (Cherry Fold) circa 1959 when the boots were high, toe-caps hard and studs were leather nail-in. The sort of tackles allowed then and the subsequent 30 years or so would get you a straight red nowadays.

I very very rarely deliberately tried to hurt anybody (but there was usually at least one of those in a team) but I didnt mind "mixing it a bit". Just got to be sensible and know what the ref is likely to allow/see.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:12 am

1 sending off and two bookings in 15 years of playing through 70,s and 80,s
Sending off for handbags!
The last booking was for Ely City v Mildenhall. I’ve still got the Cambs Fa report and fine.”player made no attempt to play the ball and brought his opponent down from behind”
What the ref missed was the Mildenhall player spitting at me before hand and calling me a norther c... !!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am

The teams I played for were regular's at the amateur football offices in Blackburn,always appealing our crimes always losing our appeal it used to get quite expensive 30 bob for a booking and three quid for a sending off,we just used to register under someone else's name after we got banned for not paying.Do kids not play football anymore,I think there must have been six divisions at one time in the Burnley leagues.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am

mkmel wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:47 am
I played competitive football from the age of 10 up until the age of about 34

And in all of that time I was only booked once and sent off once

Re the sending off I was the victim of a bad tackle that knocked me to the ground. I am not a violent type but I was so angry that I quickly got up and hit the guy and a few punches were exchanged. We both got sent off. I got a ridiculous £20 fine which was a lot of money in those days and was suspended for 3 games. It was in the early 70's on the day that Red Rum won the Grand National after catching the long time leader of the race Crisp

What about your disciplinary record?
Many or even no bookings or sendings off?
Exactly the same, and I played full back, not at a decent level though. Got booked for kicking out in the Sunday league, turns out the lad was a boxer in the marines, absolutely **** myself.

Got sent off for fighting at 6aside, probably one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever done as he was only about 18 and I was about 10 years older than him. One of my fingers still doesn’t bend as it should, embarrassing and I stopped playing after that up until recently, can’t get close enough to kick an 18 year old anymore

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 am

Played for over thirty years at a very modest level and only every booked once and never sent off. I got the booking when all the opposition players shouted out for a foul and the ref then decided to follow their lead. I called out, 'Right lads, it's free kicks on demand now', and got booked for dissent. Cost me £5 as well. I nearly got booked a second time for rolling my eyes at a strange decision, but I think the ref decided it would look a bit odd having to put it in his match report.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:07 am

I wasn't the best footballer in the world (and that's an understatement) but did play occasionally in the local Sunday league. My only yellow card came in a game played on that horrible pitch behind the old Glory Pub between Burnley and Crawshawbooth and I wasn't even playing. From my position on the touchline I felt it appropriate to have a word with the referee.

When the report came through the referee had told downright lies so I appealed it and had to attend a meeting at the Lancashire FA in Blackburn. The referee admitted he hadn't told the truth on the report, one of the appeal panel was an old bloke who was fast asleep. I lost the appeal and they doubled the fine.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:23 am

Fair few yellows and one red, which was for 2 yellows.

I was a pacy winger and during one game was getting tripped by their full back constantly. I wouldn’t have minded if they were fair challenges but they were the niggily kind where they just clip your heels, but was getting nothing from the ref, apart from a first yellow for mouthing off asking why he wasn’t giving any fouls.

It was the challenge he made on me down the back of my Achilles that did it. I just got up turned and shoved him.
Ref couldn’t get his cards out quick enough giving us both a yellow along with the red for 2nd booking to me

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Played all my football without getting a card of any sort - then in my last game, I played centre back and rose really high to head the ball and their centre forward collapsed in front of me. Yellow card from the ref despite my protestations!

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:23 pm

19 Posts and still not one mention of Alan Hosker ?? :D
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Only 1 caution as a player and that was for a comment I made whilst sitting on the subs bench. 🤣🤣🤣

However as a match official been involved in over 600 games (referee for about 400 of those) I have sent off 95 players and cautioned 753

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I imagine the majority of people playing Saturday/Sunday football never received a Yellow or Red card.

I remember if someone did get carded, the referee would often tell the player they won't report it so that the player didn't get a fine.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm
I imagine the majority of people playing Saturday/Sunday football never received a Yellow or Red card.

I remember if someone did get carded, the referee would often tell the player they won't report it so that the player didn't get a fine.
Poor behaviour from the referee. Puts next weeks ref in a difficult position.

get stuck in tracy
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by get stuck in tracy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Cant remember who we were playing but it was third div. Burnley Sunday League, referee went to his top pocket for his yellow card and pulled out a betting slip. Redrose folklore!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Played competitively from the age of 9 to my early to mid 40s.
Still play now every week - still pretty competitively but amongst friends so nobody there to send us off !!

Played at a decent level and there was a couple of years when was 16 that I was playing 11 a side 3 times in the weekend..Saturday morning for 6th form, Saturday pm in north west counties league and then Sunday pm in local league....I play the odd 90 minute veterans game now and can’t walk for a fortnight !!

I was a winger and midfielder for most of the time so tended to get kicked rather than kick people. I was happy to put my foot in though and was also known to retaliate if I was hacked down a lot in a game which was often the case in my late teens when you were playing on the wing against good full backs but often 10 or 15 years older than you and losing their pace !

I think I got sent off twice at 11 a side - once when I was 18 and the other time in my last season of playing in my 40s...that second one was a bit of a realisation that it wasn’t really worth the frustration anymore !
I also got sent off once in the Thomson centre Wednesday league - which I thought was actually quite a good record as that was a brutal league. Excellent quality but incidents and sending offs every week - regularly fights breaking out.
Also got one red card in the 7 a side league in Blackburn - again that was in my last competitive season...that lad deserved it though...he nearly broke someone’s leg so I decided to spark him - felt good at the time but not afterwards (at least we both got sent off..and we walked to our cars together....him holding a bloody nose !)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:14 pm

Just the one yellow card for arguing with my own team mate about whose fault a goal was.
Luckily Mr Hosker accepted apologies after games and never sent them in.

ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Post by ClaretPope » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:35 pm

Played in local leagues until mid-40s, mainly in defence. Booked twice: once by Arthur Spedding (formerly landlord at the Forester's Arms) on pitch 2 at Towneley and once by Alan Ludlam in the Wednesday night 5 aside league at the Thompson Centre. The first was a nonsense and the second totally justified - Caligen Foam had kicked us off the court in the first fixture; for the return match we got our retaliation in first. Now playing a version of walking football.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:53 pm

I got substituted rather than booked once playing Blackburn for Rossendale town team... it had become increasingly obvious to the manager the ball was becoming less important than planting their gobby winger.

Got booked at Blackpool for seeing if I could kick a forward over our bar as he broke through.

Other than that I was an angel on the field.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:09 pm

I notice THEWELLERNUT70 and elwaclaret are on this thread. I can confirm that both were head it and kick it centre halves who could dish it out.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Terrible.

But in the 80s I was usually given the job of roughing up the oppositions key players.

It was so bad the team pooled resources to pay my fines.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 pm

I was sent off 3 times in 1 week! A midweek 6 a side saw my brother on the opposing team who kept niggling away at me until I just totally took him out with a 2 legged scissor tackle. A Saturday league match saw me sent off because a cantre-half took exception to my standing on his feet - especially when I came down from jumping for a header - and swinging at me. I swung back (as you do) and we both got an early trip to the changing rooms. The Sunday saw me get 2 yellows for back chat and swearing. A blooming expensive week when those fines arrived in the post along with a 6 week ban!

Only 3 times I ever got sent off too, though I had my name taken/yellow carded quite a few times. If you were a big lad playing up front it was do and be done in that eternal battle with centre halves and goalkeepers.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:10 pm

ClaretPope wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:35 pm
Played in local leagues until mid-40s, mainly in defence. Booked twice: once by Arthur Spedding (formerly landlord at the Forester's Arms) on pitch 2 at Towneley and once by Alan Ludlam in the Wednesday night 5 aside league at the Thompson Centre. The first was a nonsense and the second totally justified - Caligen Foam had kicked us off the court in the first fixture; for the return match we got our retaliation in first. Now playing a version of walking football.
Alan Ludlam booked you - you must have been a plonker!

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:10 pm

ClaretPope wrote:
Alan Ludlam booked you - you must have been a plonker!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Only ever got sent off once, the only card I ever had surprisingly.

I've no regrets over it either.

I'd been clattered by one of the opposing players a couple of times and the ref ignored it.
I just waited until that player got the ball I took him out of the game, along with myself when I got sent off.

I was back playing before he was I found out later.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Played U16's and U19's Club Rugby and then Seniors to a reasonable junior Club standard until my ACL injury in 1994, aged 31 ..

Got into a fair few skirmishes and punch-ups in those days, before yellow cards and 10 minute sin-bins. Probably should have been sent off a couple of times, once at Workington and again at Halifax. Most memorable incident was against Wigan in the County Cup, their centre walked in front of one of our young backs and spat in his face ... I lost it and laid him out cold with one punch. All hell broke loose ... after order was restored, and he'd come round, the Referee called us both over and sent him straight off. He then looked at me and just said, " Great Punch, the little b*****d deserved it ", and awarded us the penalty. Different days, back then !! :roll:
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 pm

I had an awful disciplinary record. Played in the Chester & District leagues in my teens and had a chequered history of yellow cards. None for backchat to the ref and nearly all for bad fouls. Then I went to sea. On my first time back home there was a letter from the Cheshire FA basically reading the riot act to me about my disciplinary record. It turned out that a few of the lads were giving my name when they got booked. I wasn't even in the UK :o
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 GodIsADeeJay81

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:17 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I was a defender and never got booked or sent off although I should have been! I committed the classic 'professional foul' once, a deliberate handball to prevent a goal and swore like a trooper at anyone within earshot sometimes, although never the referee!

However when I became a referee I did caution and send off players, and reported it too. It had to be for something pretty serious or to keep a lid on things.

Many referees did not like issuing bookings and sendings off because firstly it led to admin work - we had to type out small reports explaining the decision and send them to the relevant local Football Association. These reports could also be challenged by the 'felon' (although in my case they never were) which could mean attending a tribunal. The postage costs were not recouped but I don't know about tribunal costs - travel etc..
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 dpinsussex

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Got a booking or two - no cards in those days.

Just the 1 sending off. Use of the head...and not for thinking with.

Lost the appeal.

dpinsussex

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Hipper wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:17 pm
I was a defender and never got booked or sent off although I should have been! I committed the classic 'professional foul' once, a deliberate handball to prevent a goal and swore like a trooper at anyone within earshot sometimes, although never the referee!

However when I became a referee I did caution and send off players, and reported it too. It had to be for something pretty serious or to keep a lid on things.

Many referees did not like issuing bookings and sendings off because firstly it led to admin work - we had to type out small reports explaining the decision and send them to the relevant local Football Association. These reports could also be challenged by the 'felon' (although in my case they never were) which could mean attending a tribunal. The postage costs were not recouped but I don't know about tribunal costs - travel etc..
Those were the days. Proper ball ache but had to be done

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:42 pm

2 bookings, one sending off (post match brawl) in 36 years. Not bad.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:28 pm

ClaretPope wrote:
Played in local leagues until mid-40s, mainly in defence. Booked twice: once by Arthur Spedding (formerly landlord at the Forester's Arms)
Arthur Spedding is my step father's brother.
This user liked this post: ClaretPope

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Using CT's description I was a "head it and kick it" centre half from age 13 to 30 mostly in the days before Red and Yellow cards.

On progressing from youth to men's football I was told " if it moves kick it, if it doesn't move kick it and see if it will move and if it does kick it.

I got sent off 11 times and picked up a few bookings as well. I think local referees had it in for me. ;) :)
These 2 users liked this post: dpinsussex Ashingtonclaret46

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:03 pm

I was sent off once playing 11 a side on a version of astro turf that was more akin to gravel. I got fouled in the penalty area and stayed on my feet to avoid injuring my legs on the gravel....but the chance to score was gone. The ref who was in his 70s if he was a day just played on and didn’t give the obvious pen when my chance had gone. I called him a few expletive blind type things and was immediately red carded.

Still irks to this day as it was an obvious pen and on about 85 minutes when the game was level. Now if only we would have had VAR.....and I’d have kept my trap shut...very hard to do in the heat of the moment but I suspect slightly easier if you are earning thousands of pounds a week to play...

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:08 pm

* just to add to my statement earlier on, i probably wouldn't last a half nowadays before being potted.

SOFT GETS

Passing Clouds
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Passing Clouds » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:13 pm

Sent off once. By Tony Philliskirk :D :shock:

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:20 pm

No cards for me but Spot was once sent for an early bath for biting the Ref ;)
This user liked this post: basil6345789

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:09 pm
I notice THEWELLERNUT70 and elwaclaret are on this thread. I can confirm that both were head it and kick it centre halves who could dish it out.
I remember once you subbed me off at halftime because the old red mist had descended and the ball for me had become incidental

Right decision though,although i didn't see it at the time

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:33 am

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:54 pm
I remember once you subbed me off at halftime because the old red mist had descended and the ball for me had become incidental

Right decision though,although i didn't see it at the time
I had that incident in my mind when I posted earlier. Your dad was on the other touchline and came round to ask me why I’d taken you off. When I told him he agreed with what I’d done.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times

Post by icu81b4 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:48 am

As a ref I once sent off two players from the same side after two minutes, once I’d noticed they’d fielded thirteen players!.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 am

I remember many years ago playing in a game when suddenly a police car drove up and parked up behind one of the goals.

Two policemen got out of their car stopped the game and then arrested and took away two of the opposing team! Not sendings off more like carting offs!