January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Re: January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 am

Firthy wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:40 am
I really believe that with our last two results and players returning from injury that we won't be signing or selling any players this window.
I hope our transfer strategy is not based upon 2 results
These 2 users liked this post: dansch DomBFC1882

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:55 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 am
I hope our transfer strategy is not based upon 2 results
So do I but I still don't think 🤔 we'll be signing anyone. If anything those two results will just have reinforced the belief that the squad is good enough to stay up this season and there will be a rebuilding of the squad in the summer.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:59 am

We need to remember, one point from six games when Tarks and Mee were not available.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 DomBFC1882

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am

Steddyman wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:44 am
Is nobody else as surprised as me that so FEW players in the world can improve our squad?
We have just beaten Liverpool at Anfield to be fair!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1699 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am

I get the feeling too we will not sign anyone. There is no huge link with any one. The one most talked about-Kenny from Everton for me is a non starter this window (maybe Summer if he is still available). Can you see BFC paying the wages of three right backs for the next 5-6 months ??

Also Vydra has had two recent good games and he might have been an option for a part exchange.

Also-having read Alan Pace's article re current signings , that was not written by him, but it had all the spin of the old set up, prior to the take-over. It was merely paving the way for no activity.With less than two "working days left", I just don't see it

I just wish people like our Chief Exec would keep their traps shut, building up hope for our fans. I see this policy of not strengthening in obvious positions, like owning a good car but not taking out insurance . It gives me no hope for the Summer with so many out of contract

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:05 am

burnley007 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:57 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55803504

this
In the worlds of music and football - both close to my heart - Brexit is a horrendous situation, as it always would be.

One question I do have is why the new owners are pushing this AIScout app via social media - when hopeful young players from overseas won't be able to come here with the new regulations?

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 am

"Gives me no hope for the summer......."

Good job you're not in charge!
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 am

warksclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 am
I get the feeling too we will not sign anyone. There is no huge link with any one. The one most talked about-Kenny from Everton for me is a non starter this window (maybe Summer if he is still available). Can you see BFC paying the wages of three right backs for the next 5-6 months ??

Also Vydra has had two recent good games and he might have been an option for a part exchange.

Also-having read Alan Pace's article re current signings , that was not written by him, but it had all the spin of the old set up, prior to the take-over. It was merely paving the way for no activity.With less than two "working days left", I just don't see it

I just wish people like our Chief Exec would keep their traps shut, building up hope for our fans. I see this policy of not strengthening in obvious positions, like owning a good car but not taking out insurance . It gives me no hope for the Summer with so many out of contract

Did you really listen to Neil Hart and expect a busy window ? He certainly didn't build my hopes up.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 am

CaptainKirk wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 am
"Gives me no hope for the summer......."

Good job you're not in charge!
And I bet numerous Burnley fans feel the same way.You only have to scroll through this thread. Yes I have not accident in my car in the last 5 years, so no I wont take out insurance this year. As someone has posted one point in 6 games when Mee & Tarks did not start together. With Pope these two are the bedrock of our defence

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 am

Still content to keep kicking the can down the road it would seem. :)

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am

Dont worry just yet, it's only Friday, we sign players on Thursdays...

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 am

IMO if we don’t sign anyone I think this will start to erode very quickly the ‘goodwill and let’s wait and see’ attitude of the fans regarding the takeover.
Due to Pace initially implying that there would be some signings and the realisation that financially the club is going to be in a less favourable position than with the last owners. It’s going to be a very short honeymoon period where actions speak louder than words

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 am

I dont believe the negativity
The previous board has reached the end re spending despite our huge amount earned and we needed a new vision and someone to move us on
To paraphrase Lennon " Give Pace a chance"
This user liked this post: frankinwales

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 am

Might ‘part of the problem’ with signing new players be Dyche’s insistence that any new signing must fit into our ‘structure and culture’ ahead of a player’s creative and technical ability?

Not a criticism of Dyche just a possible stumbling block which other clubs don’t have (to such a great extent).
This user liked this post: claretgimmer

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:26 am

Steddyman wrote:
Is nobody else as surprised as me that so FEW players in the world can improve our squad?
I think it’s more due to the fact that we appear to struggle to match what top championship clubs can pay, fee and salary wise.

Gives the club a very slim choice of players.

First no other premier league club has to want them. Second they have to cost less than 15m. Third they have to actually want to play for Burnley.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:27 am

Steddyman wrote:
It's not surprising if you give it more than a few seconds thought.

The key phrase missing from your post is "within our budget".

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 310 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:49 am

Mala591 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 am
Might ‘part of the problem’ with signing new players be Dyche’s insistence that any new signing must fit into our ‘structure and culture’ ahead of a player’s creative and technical ability?

Not a criticism of Dyche just a possible stumbling block which other clubs don’t have (to such a great extent).
Defour was someone who eventually fit the structure and took the football to another level, unfortunately we have been unable
to find a replacement. But it encouraging that under Dyche with the right technical players we can play expansive football.
Last edited by northeastclaret on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:49 am

I am sure that there were many fans who hoped that the whole purpose of the takeover was to "improve our budget" not just to put money in Mike Garlick's pocket. :|
These 3 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin DomBFC1882 northeastclaret

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:53 am

northeastclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:49 am
Defour was someone who eventually fit the structure and took the football to another level, unfortunately we have been unable
to find a replacement. But it encouraging that under Dyche with the right technical players we can play expansive football.
We have players that are capable of playing a better standard of football than SD gets them to. We've shown that on numerous occasions! Less hoofball, more football; and that all comes from SD.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:56 am

one facet of the problems we face with recruiting players is that Southgate has made it clear that he doesn't pick players who play for Burnley anymore for the national team. He only selects Pope because everyone knows Pope is actually the best keeper and he would be blasted by the press if he didn't select him for the squad.

Whilst that muppet is selecting the national squad based on whether they play a similar style to the national team or not instead of actual form and ability, Burnley players no longer have a chance to be selected it limits our ability to be "attractive" over and above the teams we compete with for players.

My opinion on the national team trying to play like a Pep's Man City is this - Its currently fashionable for a goal keeper to be able to play with the ball at his feet like some kind of Zidane with gloves and for all players to be comfortable with the ball at their feet. It's all very nice and all that, but it's boring to watch tbh and before long there will be a new fashionable way to play, and one day it might match how we play and our players will be sought after (who am I kidding!)

The solution is to be a top 6 club or for Southgate to get potted - neither of which will happen overnight, so we have to try and tempt players with money - which we dont seem to have more than clubs around us.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:05 pm

Given we were heavily linked to Ben Pearson for around 2 years and he has today moved to Bournemouth for a fraction of his value yet it looks like we weren't in for him, this suggests our targets may have shifted somewhat. Defensive centre mid may not be looked upon as a priority right now but if we held a genuine interest then we'd have been daft not to go in for him for what he has reportedly left for.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:33 pm

I see Bristol City are interested in Henri Lansbury. He was on our radar for a long time :o

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Lansbury? Yes "Angela" was on our radar for longer than Craig Dawson he must be in his mid thirties by now

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Huge rebuilding job in Summer if we don’t sign anyone. Past record in transfer windows wouldn’t fill me with much confidence we could achieve this. Also only a few injuries away from not being strong enough as we saw in the first few games. Hoping we don’t just end the window with no strengthening, debt and a a ‘vision’. 3.5 days let though.
These 3 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 northeastclaret DCWat

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Lingard on loan to West ham for rest of season.

£1.5m loan fee and £100k pw wages

Out of our league, financially, and maybe theirs

Has to work

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Huge rebuilding job in Summer if we don’t sign anyone. Past record in transfer windows wouldn’t fill me with much confidence we could achieve this. Also only a few injuries away from not being strong enough as we saw in the first few games. Hoping we don’t just end the window with no strengthening, debt and a a ‘vision’. 3.5 days let though.
Every bit of this is spot on 👏

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 am
I dont believe the negativity
The previous board has reached the end re spending despite our huge amount earned and we needed a new vision and someone to move us on
To paraphrase Lennon " Give Pace a chance"
Aron has left us

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Down_Rover wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:09 pm
Lingard on loan to West ham for rest of season.

£1.5m loan fee and £100k pw wages

Out of our league, financially, and maybe theirs

Has to work
Not sure I follow the "has to work" bit. West Ham in do danger of relegation and are committing £4m or so to half a season of a player.

It's actually the kind of deal I'd have liked us to look at with a view to reducing any relegation fears. Short term commitment for potentially long term gain.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm

After all the anticipation of a takeover and the promise of support for SD with transfers, it will be very disappointing if we don't at least sign a decent right winger but we are strong enough to stay up without signings. Just hope we bring in some young blood in the summer.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:34 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:43 pm
That just about sums up my thinking.

What was it Pace said earlier this month; “Short term, we need to stay in the Premier League and do a really good job in this window.”

A really good job certainly wouldn’t be being in the same position squad wise after the window, as we were before it.

If we’ve a long term vision (and I use him as an example rather than knowing anything of his potential) the likes of Collins would provide immediate back up in an area that we have limited options, allow us to bed him in ahead of Tarkowski’s assumed departure and hopefully years of quality service before turning a profit on his sale.

If he’s as good as we hope and Stoke think, it’s the ideal sort of signing. Not only that, but it’s one less signing that needs to be made in the summer - which is looking like it will require a lot of work.

The same could be said for the kid at Derby and to a lesser extent Kenny.

A good window would be a minimum of two signings. I’d be very surprised if Pace doesn’t want to lay down something of a marker to give the fans a bit of confidence in ALK as owners.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Klopp is sounding out clubs in the media this afternoon for a new CB. As I’ve mentioned Tarks is the only one available in this window and for 80million, I’d drive him myself!

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 pm
Klopp is sounding out clubs in the media this afternoon for a new CB. As I’ve mentioned Tarks is the only one available in this window and for 80million, I’d drive him myself!
Where have you come up with £80 million from?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

DCWat wrote:
Going rate for a top 6 club who are desperate...

May I present Slabhead at Utd...

Hapag Lloyd
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

DCWat wrote:
His imagination.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

There's time left still, and opinions on this window need to wait until the metaphorical fat lady has warbled.Lots of stuff could happen, and I'm still hopeful.

I think it's fair though, to say that during the height of the take over euphoria, anyone who suggested that the club would sit on its hands through yet another window, would have been pilloried by the self-proclaimed professors of economics in residence on the board.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:44 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:23 pm
Not sure I follow the "has to work" bit. West Ham in do danger of relegation and are committing £4m or so to half a season of a player.

It's actually the kind of deal I'd have liked us to look at with a view to reducing any relegation fears. Short term commitment for potentially long term gain.
It's 2 million a place in the Premier league so it pays for itself should they finish higher than their usual 10th 11th ish. 8th or 9th for West ham and its great business

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:45 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

I think it was DJW who was of the view that there isn’t a premium expected when one of the big boys comes calling.

I’m also not sure how long Maguire had left on his contract in comparison to Tarkowski.

We’d get nowhere near £80 million.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:47 pm

DCWat wrote:
It's what klopp said he'd pay
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm

We would be lucky to get 30m at the moment.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Hapag Lloyd
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:53 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:44 pm
It's 2 million a place in the Premier league so it pays for itself should they finish higher than their usual 10th 11th ish. 8th or 9th for West ham and its great business
West Ham are currently 5th, so an 8th or 9th place finish would suggest otherwise.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm

Tend to think we'll leave it until the summer.
But al least we'll have some money coming in assuming Tarks leaves
and Gibson gets promoted.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:53 pm
West Ham are currently 5th, so an 8th or 9th place finish would suggest otherwise.
Yes I'm aware of that but im sure they haven't budgeted to finish 5th. My point is they'll have settled for mid table but should they carry on this great form they'll have easily have paid for this lingard transfer should they finish above their pre season target

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Latest from Dyche

“Not at the moment (close to bringing anyone in). Still trying and looking at things, but it’s very difficult at the moment. We’ll wait and see, there’s maybes”

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 pm
Latest from Dyche

“Not at the moment (close to bringing anyone in). Still trying and looking at things, but it’s very difficult at the moment. We’ll wait and see, there’s maybes”
Yep its over sadly I'd say.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:02 pm

DCWat wrote:
I think if we achieved half that amount for JT we'd be delighted.
This user liked this post: DCWat

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:04 pm

I think Dyche would have been more emphatic in saying No if there was no chance at all. I may be clutching, but Maybe's can well become Goer's on deadline day.

I have nothing to base it on but I will stick my neck out and say one loan out and two permanent in...and my predictions will be something along the lines of:

Dunne --> Preston (Loan)
Kenny <--- Permanent
Collins <--- Permanent

We can but be optimistic can't we?
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:47 pm
It's what klopp said he'd pay
Ah but for who?

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:12 pm

My prediction is that we’ll sign ONE player in the £10 million price range.

What’s your prediction?

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:04 pm
I think Dyche would have been more emphatic in saying No if there was no chance at all. I may be clutching, but Maybe's can well become Goer's on deadline day.

I have nothing to base it on but I will stick my neck out and say one loan out and two permanent in...and my predictions will be something along the lines of:

Dunne --> Preston (Loan)
Kenny <--- Permanent
Collins <--- Permanent

We can but be optimistic can't we?
I cannot be as positive -I am guessing two out on loan (Benson & Dunn), and none in

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:14 pm

I think regardless or what happens we will be disappointed now.

I think we were all expecting at least one signing to make a difference to the start 11. Honestly can’t remember that last signing we made that went straight in the starting eleven, Chris Wood maybe?