Soccer Saturday - Rainbow Laces

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Soccer Saturday - Rainbow Laces

Post by MRG » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:28 pm

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been a thread on this. Yesterday, Soccer Saturday chose to have Tom Allen on the show as part of their Rainbow Laces campaign.

Tom is a very clever comedian however has no interest in football and is probably one of the most camp gay males currently in the public eye.

Tom basically pranced about on his segments and offered no valuable input at all. I am sad that they chose to represent homosexual men in this way and I feel it is a massive backwards step after what has been a really successful campaign. If I was a gay footballer I genuinely feel that this would make me thing twice about coming out if this is what Sky Sports believe is the most realistic representation or a gay man in football

https://twitter.com/mikeypb/status/1337 ... 94530?s=21

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Re: Soccer Saturday - Rainbow Laces

Post by Rowls » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:41 pm

I may or may not agree with you about the insulting and patronizing nature of identity politics distilling people and labelling them depending on inate features beyond personal control but the reason it's not been discussed might be because of the temporary ban on political threads.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Re: Soccer Saturday - Rainbow Laces

Post by MRG » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:41 pm
I may or may not agree with you about the insulting and patronizing nature of identity politics distilling people and labelling them depending on inate features beyond personal control but the reason it's not been discussed might be because of the temporary ban on political threads.
I didn’t think of it as being political but you could be correct, hopefully if a reasonable discuss happens it may be not be pulled
This user liked this post: Rowls