French Football in crisis ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

French Football in crisis ....

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:21 pm

Not seen this on another thread, but it appears that French Football is suffering it's own " ITV Digital " moment .... The Spanish broadcaster " Mediapro " has failed to pay the sums due in their agreement, signed in 2018, which was thought to represent a 60% increase on the previous deal.

There's a fuller explanation on the Guardian's football page, but I cannot post a link ...

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Re: French Football in crisis ....

Post by Bosscat » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:25 pm

This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Yup.

The tv channels due to screen all the games (telefoot) are off air.

Couple this with the banning of crowds and a fair few clubs are experiencing difficulties.

If we’re in a position to be buying players in January France might be a productive marketplace. Could be a good opportunity to pick up a few bargains if we’ve scouted the ligue effectively.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 pm
Yup.

The tv channels due to screen all the games (telefoot) are off air.

Couple this with the banning of crowds and a fair few clubs are experiencing difficulties.

If we’re in a position to be buying players in January France might be a productive marketplace. Could be a good opportunity to pick up a few bargains if we’ve scouted the ligue effectively.
It’ll be a lot more difficult to buy players from France from 1st January.
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:32 pm
It’ll be a lot more difficult to buy players from France from 1st January.
No it won't.

BigF
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by BigF » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Will certain players not require a work permit after January 1 ? Unsure if non-EU players already do need a work permit but I thought I'd read that similar conditions would apply. (It doesn't of course mean that they will not be granted one).

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm
No it won't.
This lengthy document from the FA suggests differently

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom- ... -2021.ashx

Basically it's going to be difficult to sign players who don't play regularly for top teams or internationally.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:09 pm

That's always been the case with none European players, think Luton Shelton.

The difference is that European players may have to follow same visa criteria post Brexit.

Good thing if you ask me. Means you have to be at a certain level to get a gig.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:10 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Basically it's going to be difficult to sign players who don't play regularly for top teams or internationally.
Hopefully that's the type of player we would be going for at bargain prices

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Interesting. Would that have stopped a Mahrez moving from Le Havre to Leicester, or N'golo Kante moving from Caen to Leicester? I imagine the former at least would be less likely given Le Havre were L2 (I think)

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:31 pm

I have been posting about this on the MMT thread since the early summer - even predicting then it was an itv digital type disaster waiting to happen
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm
No it won't.
I’m sorry, but it’s a fact. As others have pointed out players will have to meet certain criteria to get a work permit.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:43 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm
I’m sorry, but it’s a fact. As others have pointed out players will have to meet certain criteria to get a work permit.
Great, means we won't be having bang average players from abroad turning up and earning silly money.
These 2 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop HandforthClaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm
It's not fact. You said, "a lot more difficult" which makes it entirely subjective. I believe the work permits required for a professional footballer earning tens of thousands of pounds, potentially eachw week, will be made easy.

I have my view and you can have your "fact". I'm not going to get into the debate with you given the current board restrictions.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm
It's not fact. You said, "a lot more difficult" which makes it entirely subjective. I believe the work permits required for a professional footballer earning tens of thousands of pounds, potentially eachw week, will be made easy.

I have my view and you can have your "fact". I'm not going to get into the debate with you given the current board restrictions.
Well there’s little point anyway as, as ever, you’re arguing based on a ‘belief’ rather than a published fact. It will be more difficult to sign players from Europe to the extent that some big names now playing in the Premier League (e.g. Mahrez) wouldn’t have been allowed to sign for a British club under new rules. Anyway, it’s not likely yo make much difference for us based on our record of signing players from Europe.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:28 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm
Well there’s little point anyway as, as ever, you’re arguing based on a ‘belief’ rather than a published fact. It will be more difficult to sign players from Europe to the extent that some big names now playing in the Premier League (e.g. Mahrez) wouldn’t have been allowed to sign for a British club under new rules. Anyway, it’s not likely yo make much difference for us based on our record of signing players from Europe.
Rowls wrote:

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:43 pm

martin_p wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm
Not sure about Mahrez, he was already playing for Algeria and will likley have a French passport so will depend what the trade deal is.

Kante wasn't a French international so possible he'd fall foul of the rules if they are the same as those around none Europeans.

However, seeing as we will be able to set our own rules in respect of who we allow in and who we don't, it could be that there is absolutely no change to the current situation in respect of footballers and the authorities accept that anybody with a European passport is eligible to enter. Sport governing bodies do have some sway in this regard.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Rowls wrote:

This is spectacular. There is a document detailing the very specific requirements that will be coming into force, which will unquestionably make signing EU players more difficult, but you'd still prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and go "nah, nah, nah".

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:59 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:43 pm
Not sure about Mahrez, he was already playing for Algeria and will likley have a French passport so will depend what the trade deal is.

Kante wasn't a French international so possible he'd fall foul of the rules if they are the same as those around none Europeans.

However, seeing as we will be able to set our own rules in respect of who we allow in and who we don't, it could be that there is absolutely no change to the current situation in respect of footballers and the authorities accept that anybody with a European passport is eligible to enter. Sport governing bodies do have some sway in this regard.
The rules have already been put in place. Mahrez wouldn't have qualified as he hadn't played enough international matches at that point.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:00 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:55 pm
This is spectacular. There is a document detailing the very specific requirements that will be coming into force, which will unquestionably make signing EU players more difficult, but you'd still prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and go "nah, nah, nah".
He's right to some extent though, their is a chance it could become easier in the long term.

It may be difficult in January, but nothing to say it will in future windows.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:10 pm
Hopefully that's the type of player we would be going for at bargain prices
You'd hope that would be the type of player but limiting the pool is more likely to push prices up.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:03 pm

seems bizarre how there will be a rule in place to say a (for example) Nurse has to be qualified and earn "x" amount of money to be allowed a work permit, but a footballer who is equally as qualified in their own field who will earn 1000 times more and pay more tax has tighter restrictions...........

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:06 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:59 pm
The rules have already been put in place. Mahrez wouldn't have qualified as he hadn't played enough international matches at that point.
No, the rules haven't been put in place, in effect they were already in place they are just basically being extended to include EU passport holders.

The document you are referencing specifically says ". The criteria will be reviewed in early 2021 in order that revised criteria can be issued in advance of the summer transfer window before the 2021/22 season."

Dependent upon the requirements of a specific sport, the rules can be amended. As an example, the rules around cricket were relaxed to facilitate the 100 competition. I imagine that Premier League football will hold some sway when future rules are being considered.

So, whilst those may be the rules this coming January, they may not be the rules after that when clubs are next allowed to sign players.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:03 pm
seems bizarre how there will be a rule in place to say a (for example) Nurse has to be qualified and earn "x" amount of money to be allowed a work permit, but a footballer who is equally as qualified in their own field who will earn 1000 times more and pay more tax has tighter restrictions...........
Work permit rules are supposedly about protecting workers who are native to the country and ensuring that someone able to do the same job isn't over looked for a foreign national.

However, that doesn't always apply and one of the things the Government are trying to do with points based immigration is ensure that we can be free to attract the people we really need, so if we need 10,000 nurses we make it easier for them come, if we need plumbers or brick layers we make it easy etc etc. If we have a surplus of teachers, we restrict it and so on. So if we need footballers contributing mountains of PAYE, we make it easier and so on.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 pm

We should hopefully be looking at players that wouldn’t have any problem getting a work permit.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:26 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:06 pm
No, the rules haven't been put in place, in effect they were already in place they are just basically being extended to include EU passport holders.

The document you are referencing specifically says ". The criteria will be reviewed in early 2021 in order that revised criteria can be issued in advance of the summer transfer window before the 2021/22 season."

Dependent upon the requirements of a specific sport, the rules can be amended. As an example, the rules around cricket were relaxed to facilitate the 100 competition. I imagine that Premier League football will hold some sway when future rules are being considered.

So, whilst those may be the rules this coming January, they may not be the rules after that when clubs are next allowed to sign players.
The only known is that the rules will be in place for EU passport holders from 1st January when the transfer window opens.

They may or may not be changed at some point in the future but I'd suggest that the fact that the non-EU work permit rules have been kept in place for many years means that they may not be softened that much. It also seems very unlikely that whatever rules are introduced will be as easy as the previous freedom of movement.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:26 pm
The only known is that the rules will be in place for EU passport holders from 1st January when the transfer window opens.

They may or may not be changed at some point in the future but I'd suggest that the fact that the non-EU work permit rules have been kept in place for many years means that they may not be softened that much. It also seems very unlikely that whatever rules are introduced will be as easy as the previous freedom of movement.
I don't know about this, but it's possible that the European freedom of movement rules impacted the rules for none Europeans also ie we also had to do what the EU wanted as opposed to just what we wanted so they may change also once we leave the EU.

In any event, personally I'm all for rules that determine a certain level has to be achieved before entry is granted.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Bloody hell - I remember when mentioning the name "Luton Shelton" warranted an instant ban!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:30 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:09 pm
Work permit rules are supposedly about protecting workers who are native to the country and ensuring that someone able to do the same job isn't over looked for a foreign national.

However, that doesn't always apply and one of the things the Government are trying to do with points based immigration is ensure that we can be free to attract the people we really need, so if we need 10,000 nurses we make it easier for them come, if we need plumbers or brick layers we make it easy etc etc. If we have a surplus of teachers, we restrict it and so on. So if we need footballers contributing mountains of PAYE, we make it easier and so on.
for sure, just seems odd to try and restrict something that has a huge positive contribution to many local economies. They obviously have their own bizarre reasoning though.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Luton Shelton! How excited we were!

Sad to see having studied his Wikipedia page that he has got MND. Only 35 years old.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Never knew we’d actually played against him.
At the time we’d had him trial I’d hoped he’d be the next riccardo fuller.
Wasn’t to be.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 am

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 pm

I see Allardyce has been complaining that work permits are causing transfer deals to fall through

This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 am

aggi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 am
I see Allardyce has been complaining that work permits are causing transfer deals to fall through

That's excellent. If the players don't meet the criteria it's likely they weren't much good in any event.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:15 pm

I’m not sure Brexit will have much an effect on the brown paper bag approach to transfer dealings....

A lot of noise coming out of Sam in his new multi million pound job....anyone would think his team had just had a couple of poundings at home...
This user liked this post: Quicknick

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 am
That's excellent. If the players don't meet the criteria it's likely they weren't much good in any event.
Not necessarily. the problem with work permit rules is that the clubs with most money will be able to sign dozens of players who meet the criteria, whil;e the clubs like us or further down the leagues won't be able to afford anyone who meets the criteria. Man City will still have a squad full of foreigners and will be able to sign another to play in their reserves, while someone who could become West Brom's star player won't be allowed in.

It would make a lot more sense to let each club sign a number of foreigners regardless of ability - perhaps 3 minimum - but with a limited number of extras (say 5 per club) who meet work permit criteria, for clubs that can afford. That has the double benefit of still restricting foreigners without unduly disadvantaging British players, and of restricting but not removing the Man City type clubs' competitive advantage of having more money.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm

They need 15 points for a permit (10 for consideration by a panel). If they can’t get that number then they aren’t good enough.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:17 pm
Not necessarily. the problem with work permit rules is that the clubs with most money will be able to sign dozens of players who meet the criteria, whil;e the clubs like us or further down the leagues won't be able to afford anyone who meets the criteria. Man City will still have a squad full of foreigners and will be able to sign another to play in their reserves, while someone who could become West Brom's star player won't be allowed in.

It would make a lot more sense to let each club sign a number of foreigners regardless of ability - perhaps 3 minimum - but with a limited number of extras (say 5 per club) who meet work permit criteria, for clubs that can afford. That has the double benefit of still restricting foreigners without unduly disadvantaging British players, and of restricting but not removing the Man City type clubs' competitive advantage of having more money.
If they want to sit on the bench at City that’s their decision and if City want to pay them double what we offer, good luck to them. The purpose of work permits is to restrict those that aren’t good enough, not to impose a wage cap based on nationality.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:37 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:59 pm
You can add Olivier Giroud to that list. He played his first game for France in November 2011 and signed for Arsenal in June 2012. I'm sure that his international experience wouldn't have been enough to get him a work permit.

Time to forget buying exciting young prospects from abroad then? I wonder how this affects Mancini?

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 pm

It's interesting in the context of the "kind of moneyball but definitely not moneyball" that is being talked about with ALK, AI Scout, and Burnley. If you're hoping to make big returns on players then you want to be signing relative unknowns for low prices but obviously this has now become much more difficult.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 pm

As we state further up the thread, the rules are for now and can be reviewed.

We are setting these rules so it will be up to our football authorities and our government what is decided.