Aston Villa v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Re: Aston Villa v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 pm
Not sure where all the low marks are coming from
I think I'm normally a harsh scorer, but our scores were remarkably similar tonight. Individually, I thought there were some good individual performances, but overall, I thought that was a desperate team performance against an average PL team. On any other day we could have been beaten 3 or 4 nil. Luck played a huge part. I'm not sure what our game plan was for most of it other than hoof it, hope McNeill would dribble past everyone, and defend the box. We defended the box very well, but we gave them so much of the ball, I'm amazed they didn't convert at least one chance. Collectively, we were much less than the sum of our parts, and I think alot of people's scores reflect that.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 pm

Pope 10
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 9
Mee 9
Taylor 7
Brady 5
Westwood 6
Brownhill 6
McNeil 8
Rodriguez 6
Wood 5
Subs
Barnes 6
Vydra 5

Changed my mark for Lowton due to the header of the line in the 1st half, fair to the mon.

Season in full swing now games coming thick and fast and we are picking up nicely.

I predict 8pts from the next 4
Last edited by Top Claret on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 9
Mee 8
Taylor 7
Brady 6
Westwood 6
Brownhill 6
McNeil 6
Wood 5
J Rod 5

Barnes 6

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 8
Mee 6
Taylor 7
Brady 7
Westwood 7
Brownhill 6
McNeil 7
Rodriguez 6
Wood 6

Barnes 6
Good job Villa didn’t have their shooting boots on

Arnold Bashley
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Arnold Bashley » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Pope 8
Lowton 8
Tarks 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
Brady 7
Westwood 5
Brownhill 6
McNeil 7( first half 9, second 5)
Wood 5
J Rod 5
Barnes 5

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Pope 6 - Saved well but wasn't troubled by much apart from the free kick which was a great save. Poor distribution at times
Lowton 7 - handled a trick Villa LH side well
Tarkowski 8 - MOM - Solid and made the game look easy
Mee 8 - as Tarks
Taylor 6 - poor going forward but defensively solid
Brady 6 - lacked end product. Defended well
Westwood 7 - Pressed well and attempted the box-to-box role quite well
Brownhill 6 - some daft mistakes and looked a little slow in his decision making
Mcneil 7 - good forward runs. Yes he loses the ball but he tries to make things happen. Needs to stop the silly passes backwards that drop short though
Wood 5 - Offered nothing
Rodriguez 6 - Offered slightly more than Wood but again nothing much

Subs

Barnes 4 - Poor for his short time on. More worried about backing in and trying to win free kicks. ref's have wised up sorry.

The long balls were pointless from Pope to Wood. Those two centre halves loved that all day long. Who plays long against us??? No-one because Mee & Tarks would love it. Why we kept doing it baffles me.

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by maidenover » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Zero creativity again from our midfield and wingers and I’m tired of keep giving them 6’s and 7’s for effort alone. And I’m tired of giving our strikers 5’s and 6’s for “feeding on scraps”. It’s time they made something happen. I realize attack and defense is a team game and everyone helps out greatly but from now on I’m going to start marking them on what their prime responsibility is.

Pope - 8
Lowton - 7
Tarks - 8
Mee- 7
Taylor 7
Westwood -6
Brownhill - 6
McNeill 5
Brady - 5
Rodriguez - 4
Wood - 4

Barnes - 4
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 pm

"....Barnes 4 - Poor for his short time on. More worried about backing in and trying to win free kicks. ref's have wised up sorry."

Interesting point ---I wonder when the refs will wise up as to just how Grealish is winning so many free kicks ---he will be on a par with Ashley when they suddenly realise, however, Jack is the golden boy so I don't expect it to happen soon. He gets away with lots of thing including trying to referee games. HE is a good player, however, the officials seem to have a blind spot to so many of his antics.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:40 am

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 7
Mee 7
Taylor 7
Brady 6
Westwood 6
Brownhill 7
McNeil 7
Rodriguez 5
Wood 5

Barnes 5

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 am

Pope 8
Lowton 8
Taylor 8
Mee 8*
Tarkowski 8
McNeil 7
Brady 7
Westwood 6
Brownhill 6
Wood 5
Rodriguez 5
Barnes 4

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:32 am

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 8
Mee 8
Taylor 7
Brady 6
Brownhill 6
Westwood 6
McNeil 7
Rodriguez 5
Wood 5

Barnes 5

Did well to get a point. A less wasteful team would have stuffed us last night.

Still, 4 points and 2 clean sheets isn't to be sniffed at from Arsenal and Villa away, and we're out of the bottom three, so that's positive.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 am

Pope 9* (Excellent positioning and handling again, but his kicking is still so poor. He almost never finds a Burnley player. Well not one who can hold the ball up anyway!)
Lowton 7
Tarks 8
Mee 8
Taylor 7
Westwood 7
Brownhill 7
McNeil 8 (Much more positive from him, but again some poor crosses, even from dead balls)
Brady 6 (Getting into the game much more, but does he EVER work on his crossing in training??)
Jayrod 6
Wood 5 (Very unlucky with the one header, but otherwise hopeless!)

Barnes 5 (I love him to bits, but I'd have Vydra ahead of him when subbing atm)

It's difficult to score games like this as if you look at sheer effort and determination and giving all for the cause you really couldn't ask for more imo, but when it comes to looking skillful and creative and dangerous we tend to look like we're hanging on by our shirt tails. Villa should be one of those teams around us battling in the group below the top 6 or 8 in mid table, but they're not. They've seriously moved on whilst we have stood still and they aren't the only team to do so in that group and if they'd had their shooting boots on we'd have lost easily. I'm absolutely chuffed with the point and the commitment, but it really is backs against the wall stuff in every single game now and particularly up front we need to find our spark again.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:57 am

I'd have taken a point all day long, but I expected more, a lot more offensively against a patch up Villa side. We lose the ball/give the ball away too easily and are not convincing in 50/50's. That said we are heading in the right direction, and our best midfielder will soon be back. Can't come soon enough for me.

Pope 9- back to his best and no coincidence that he has Tarks and Mee in front of him.
Lowton 7-Thought he was solid.
Tarkowski 9*-Rethink- We must keep hold of him at all costs this season to increase our hopes of survival. Immense performance.
Mee 8-Probably the main reason why our form has improved over the last month.
Taylor 6-Think he needs to offer more going forward.
Brady 6-Even though I've not given a high mark, Robbie was impressive in parts and it's something to build on.
Brownhill 5-Personally I though he was poor. My guess is that he'll be the one to make way for JC's return.
Westwood 6-Not his best game.
McNeil 5-In the main ineffective. He needs to have greater influence on a game and take it by the scruff of the neck.
Wood 5-Bar his great chance from which he was unlucky, I cant think of a great deal else he contributed.
Rodriguez 6-Like CW, largely ineffective again.
This user liked this post: Hbclaret007

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:08 am

Pope 7

Lowton 7
Tarkowski 8 MOM
Mee 7
Taylor 8

Brady 7
Brownhill 6
Westwood 7
Mc Neil 8

Rodriguez 6
Wood 6

Barnes 6

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:49 am

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Mee 8
Tarks 8
Taylor 8
Brady 6
Brownhill 7
Westwood 6
McNeil 7
J Rod 6
Wood 5

Barnes 3

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 am

I was really disappointed with last night's game. After Sunday against Arsenal, I expected us to be up for it, and we just weren’t. If it wasn’t for Pope, our back 4 and some very poor finishing we could have lost by a big margin. Very lucky to come away with a point.

As for ratings, 5 is below par and it sometimes seems harsh, but I thought our midfield was well below par, again. I can’t fault the effort, therefore the ability of our midfield players must be questioned. The front two aren’t getting enough service and the midfield isn’t taking the pressure off the defence. Hopefully Cork’s return will help us.

I agree with Ashtonlongsider’s ratings largely:

Pope 9 - really excellent again – he takes some beating – and what a fingertip save -
Lowton 7-I think he did well overall – he’s a weak link for me, but had one of his better games
Tarkowski -8 – wonderful performance under siege – he loves defending and got lots of opportunity
Mee 7- Gave the ball away a couple of times, his control lets him down, but excellent defending
Taylor 7 – battled against the Villa tide. Some very good tackles. Not much going forward
Brady 6 –Some good moments, but fails to impose himself and rarely beats a man.
Brownhill 5- I’ve described him as lightweight before and this was a lightweight performance for me. He covers the ground well, but needs to hold the ball up. He was good at Arsenal, but poor last night
Westwood 5 – Poor again from Westwood. Lost possession and doesn’t win as many second balls as he used to. Unlucky with a shot, but disappointing overall.
McNeil 5- Very good in the first half and our only creative midfielder. Went AWOL second half
Wood 5-Didn’t offer much, but wasn’t given much opportunity either. Mings won most headers
Rodriguez 5 – Didn’t get any support on the few occasions he got into good areas.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:02 am

Pope 9
Lowton 7
Mee 9
Tarky 9*
Taylor 8
Brady 7
Westwood 7
McNeil 8
Brownhill 7
Wood 6
Rodriguez 6

Barnes 6

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 am

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 9*
Mee 8
Taylor 8
Brady 6
Westwood 7
Brownhill 7
Mcneil 7
Wood 6
Rodriguez 6

Subs

Barnes 5

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Hbclaret007 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:30 am
I was really disappointed with last night's game. After Sunday against Arsenal, I expected us to be up for it, and we just weren’t. If it wasn’t for Pope, our back 4 and some very poor finishing we could have lost by a big margin. Very lucky to come away with a point.

As for ratings, 5 is below par and it sometimes seems harsh, but I thought our midfield was well below par, again. I can’t fault the effort, therefore the ability of our midfield players must be questioned. The front two aren’t getting enough service and the midfield isn’t taking the pressure off the defence. Hopefully Cork’s return will help us.

I agree with Ashtonlongsider’s ratings largely:

Pope 9 - really excellent again – he takes some beating – and what a fingertip save -
Lowton 7-I think he did well overall – he’s a weak link for me, but had one of his better games
Tarkowski -8 – wonderful performance under siege – he loves defending and got lots of opportunity
Mee 7- Gave the ball away a couple of times, his control lets him down, but excellent defending
Taylor 7 – battled against the Villa tide. Some very good tackles. Not much going forward
Brady 6 –Some good moments, but fails to impose himself and rarely beats a man.
Brownhill 5- I’ve described him as lightweight before and this was a lightweight performance for me. He covers the ground well, but needs to hold the ball up. He was good at Arsenal, but poor last night
Westwood 5 – Poor again from Westwood. Lost possession and doesn’t win as many second balls as he used to. Unlucky with a shot, but disappointing overall.
McNeil 5- Very good in the first half and our only creative midfielder. Went AWOL second half
Wood 5-Didn’t offer much, but wasn’t given much opportunity either. Mings won most headers
Rodriguez 5 – Didn’t get any support on the few occasions he got into good areas.
Fair assessment.... Midfield and RFB is most certainly the position were money needs to be invested.
Westwood is having a poor season he isn't the same player as last season

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:17 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:57 am
Brownhill 5-Personally I though he was poor. My guess is that he'll be the one to make way for JC's return.
I would not put money on this. Seriously.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:32 am

Both Brownhill and Westwood are hit and miss. Of the pair I think that Westwood as been disappointing, he is not the same player he was last season.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:12 am

[quote
Still, 4 points and 2 clean sheets isn't to be sniffed at from Arsenal and Villa away, and we're out of the bottom three, so that's positive.
[/quote]

Exactly!
When you look at the team's around us, they haven't turned it around like we have, you could say sheff utd have gone?
Wba.. championship team with a new manager
Fulham.. slowly realising you need to defend.
Brighton in free fall and Newcastle too