The 1962 Cup Final.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurnleyBob
Been Liked: 14 times

The 1962 Cup Final.

Post by BurnleyBob » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:42 pm

It would be nice to think that the club or an author could publish something on the 1962 Cup Final or even on 'the nearly the double' season of 1961-62. As it will 60 years ago fairly soon it would seem an appropriate time to publish something like this. A fair few Burnley books have covered this period already but a publication that was mainly photos might be worth considering. Sadly the Burnley Express photo archive has apparently been badly depleted when the newspaper moved offices a few years ago. However, the Burnley Civic Trust has quite a few negatives of the Cup Final build up and aftermath but not of the action. National newspaper archives will have some pictures I would imagine as does Getty Images and the Press Association. It would be a costly book to produce with copyright issues and maybe the club itself would subsidise it.

BurnleyBob

Re: The 1962 Cup Final.

Post by BurnleyBob » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 pm

There are some colour photos of this Final which few people have probably seen and this would a valuable selling point.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:17 pm

The video of the final is available

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:17 pm
The video of the final is available
My daughter married into a Spurs household and at her wedding I presented the groom’s father with this video. He was very grateful but spoilt the moment by reminding me of the result.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony MT03ALG

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 pm

Here you go...

A nine year old lad, reader of Charles Buchan's Football Monthly, collector of cigarette and sweet football cards, gets ready for the FA Cup Final. No telly. Radiogram. Listening to radio commentary in his Council house home in Reading. Cheering for Spurs, as the Southern club. Had already been taken to Elm Park, Reading, on a Tuesday night, by his sisters boyfriend, who was a really good youth player.

His Scottish grandad had come for his bath. He only had a tin bath in his Victorian terrace house, so came to the relatively new council house, with its own bathroom and hot running water.

He chatted to the lad's mum and dad, so the boy's ear is glued to the radiogram speaker, from 6 inches.

The game is won and all well but it sounded like a great game and Burnley had played well, according to the commentator.

Back at school on the Monday, the talk is of the cup final, before starting the game in the playground.

One lad says we'll be Spurs. The lad who had listened on the radio, happily pronounced, we will be Burnley.

Each day the FA Cup final was played out, with different outcomes and always the same players on each team.

A rainy playtime eventually intervenes and cuts short the outside football. Inside, the boys revert to plan B. Knock out football with an old penny each as your player and a sixpence as the ball. Goals chalked on the desk.

The boys line up and one boy writes their name and team down ready for the draw. The scribe looks up, as the radio listener is next. "Ah! You'll be Burnley".

And so, now aged 67, I have been Burnley ever since that moment.
These 5 users liked this post: Bin Ont Turf claret54 jtv Silkyskills1 Burnley Ace

Madpete
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Madpete » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 am

What a wonderful tale this is,so redolent of us fans with our allegiances from various avenues & directions.I can’t match it but as a Shaw lad,Burnley was a far off place with a decent(more than that-Ed!)team & it was only when I married a Bacup lass that I started watching them.Quickly getting hooked & now it’s 53 years & counting.Plenty of heartache with a fair amount of ecstasy,I wouldn’t have it any other way.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:26 am

Boy aged 6, living in Hampshire watches said cup final with dad and older brothers. All support Spurs so young boy picks Burnley. And so it begins.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL Burnley Ace

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:48 am

Boy in Wormwells "funny name for a butchers" on Brougham street Stoneyholme. Big Ruddy faced Mr W serving ... aye up lad were playing spurs int" cup final today always remember his face and Broad chatty accent......... luckily we were first to have Amazon Prime :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

BurnleyBob

Post by BurnleyBob » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Some lovely recollections on this thread. My best friend had tickets for the Final and went to the game whereas I watched it on tv with my parents. The euphoria of the Robson equaliser followed by second Spurs goal which followed immediately is a lasting memory. As a nine year old my friends and I saw Burnley as a top side although I hadn't yet been to Turf Moor. Almost 60 years on that season was so significant - nearly the double - but our last great season. The following season we were third and third again in 1965-66. The 1973-74 season was also a nearly season. An interesting debate would be to compare what was achieved in the early 1960's to Sean Dyche's achievements in recent years.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I was nearly nine at the time of the 1962 Cup Final and living in Hertfordshire and no connection with the town of Burnley. We had a television and the game was live. My brother wanted Spurs so I chose Burnley. The connection stuck and no matter how much I fall in and out of love with football I just cannot get rid of this allegiance to BFC.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace tim_noone

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:34 pm

It’s great the number of lifelong fans who picked Burnley just to be contrary😂

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Claret Toni » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:36 pm

Were we all 9 years old in 1962 - I was :)

Although living in Barlick, I didn't come from a footballing family - indeed when I referred to football in front of my grandad he would correct me and refer to it as Soccer, as Rugby League was football as far as he was concerned. Silly old sod.

I wasn't able to listen to or watch the match apart from odd snippets on the radio. I remember Cummings conceding the penalty very shortly after a Burnley player had been fouled - no doubts in my mind from the radio we'd been robbed.

My schoolteacher was at the match and offered his programme to anyone in the class who wanted it. I kept my hand down - I didn't want a losing programme, I would wait until we won it in the very near future!!

Misplaced confidence, perhaps - but we were a damn fine side in those days and I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking we'd be back soon.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Great thread. I’d love to see us compete in and win one of the cups. But especially the fa cup.

Hopefully when this pandemic passes. We can mark it with a win at Wembley. 😎

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:06 pm

I travelled to the 1962 Cup Final with my father, my brother and his friend (who is now a Burnley F.C. Director!)
It seemed to take years to get there down the A1!! We stayed overnight in London.
As young kids we were ushered down to the front wall behind the goal where Spurs scored their penalty.

Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by Claretmisterg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Watched it on tv with my Dad When I was 6 and couldn’t get over the fact it was Burnley where we went shopping. After that I was hooked but had to wait 3 years before I saw my first match at the Turf.