Burnley FC - Games of Your Decades

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1407 times

Re: Burnley FC - Games of Your Decades

Post by Aclaret » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:18 pm
What a cracking thread. I made my choices and then saw others and wondered why I hadn’t picked them.
Exactly, I chose mine off the top of my head but when you stop and think there are many, many more. The joy of following the clarets over the years !!

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 pm

I went for Palace away in 83 due to the fact it is an away fixture I will never forget and a turning point of the clubs history that saw us sink to new depths.

15 of us from the Tack in Hassy left in a Tranny van and arrived back at 5am the following day, knackered and thourouly ****** off after watching the lads get relegated without putting up much of a fight.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Completely true about the Crewe match in 87, I doubt any of the other fans of Premier League clubs have ever felt like that. We were gone, done and dusted.

I'm going to add 2 more to the already great list.....

2-0 Chelsea 60's - my first match and the Dave Thomas show.

3-2 Mansfield Town 90's - Top of the table Battle Royale, and that's when I thought we were going to maybe get out of the bottom division.

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:36 pm

I moved to Burnley in 1961, such brilliant years followed.
60s Burnley 6 Man Utd 1 and Burnley 7 Spurs 2 in the same season(CT must have enjoyed the Spurs game with O’Neill at his best)
70s Burnley 1 Celtic O but only because it was the last game I watched before moving away
80s Orient game, listened on a pocket radio while umpiring a school cricket match!
90s Stockport at Wembley
00s Coventry 1 Burnley 3 because it was the first time I had seen the clarets win since the Celtic game 30 years earlier and the time I began to believe Burnley could reach the premier league.
10s Chelsea 2 Burnley 3 I was not there but just a few miles away at the World Athletic Championships
20s Man Utd 0 Burnley 2

bennitor
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by bennitor » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:58 pm

00's - Reading away.
Really small amount of BFC fans, queued ages for tickets, expected to lose, decent drive to get there.

Then two excuisite goals. Night match with great atmosphere. Tumbling down stairs with strangers when we scored two belting goals. Absolutely on cloud nine. Knowing already that the momentum was with us for promotion.

Up there with the best of any decade. Good times.

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 pm

In the 50 + years I've been watching Burnley, home and away my most memorable game was watching us beat Stockport 5-2 in 96? with Paul Barnes scoring all the goals. I was in the Bob Lord Stand and Brian Miller was in front of us in the 100 Club area and he turned round to share the moment as Barnesy got his fifth, classic and more memorable than both my Wembley visits.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:59 pm

kritichris wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 pm
In the 50 + years I've been watching Burnley, home and away my most memorable game was watching us beat Stockport 5-2 in 96? with Paul Barnes scoring all the goals. I was in the Bob Lord Stand and Brian Miller was in front of us in the 100 Club area and he turned round to share the moment as Barnesy got his fifth, classic and more memorable than both my Wembley visits.
This was the Burnley game I’ve ever been grounded from attending! :-(

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:08 pm

1967 Burnley 5 Spurs 1- my first game and what an introduction with my Dad and Granddad, got spoilt too early.
70's, cannot remember the year Burnley 4 Newcastle 1, Uwe hat trick against the Geordies and Super Mac! subbed in the second half much too his disgust and our delight.
1987 twenty years after my debut!! Crewe Alexandra 1 Burnley 0 the match before Orient and 4 of us in the car home didn't speak a word. An intense and emotional atmosphere for the rest of the week up to that final match.....very much a low I would not want to experience again...EVER!
1991 Northampton 1 Burnley 2 when Conroy netted late on after the Cobblers had equalised and Andy Marriott was carried off shoulder high by the Burnley fans with the Sweet Chariot chant ringing out, it just felt we were on our way back and the fans were united together once more...a turning point. Just loved the Conroy and Eli partnership up front they helped to bring the passion back..
00's Scunthorpe 1 Burnley 2... the Burnley are back and the Ian Wright gamble paid off..
2016 Burnley 1 QPR 0 not a classic by any means but promotion again into the Premier League, an immediate return and as champions this time reflects the progress we had made under our magnificent manager
20's Arsenal 0 Burnley 1 started with beating a North London big club, why not finish beating the other one and Sean laying this bogey too rest..
I hope there's a few more decades for me too support and watch our great club...
UTC

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:27 pm

kritichris wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 pm
And Brian was very much a Claret. I think he’d just about retired as scout by then.
This user liked this post: kritichris