REPORT: Whistle blows on Clarets at Leeds

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Re: REPORT: Whistle blows on Clarets at Leeds

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:07 pm
Not for me. Contact sport (we like it when it suits us) No foul on Mee, No foul on the keeper by Mee, Goal by Barnes.
But I do now agree with the penalty against Pope, not in control when tackling
You’re completely contradicting yourself by saying it’s OK for their keeper to wipe out one of our players in attempting to get the ball because it’s a “contact sport”, but that doesn’t apply when our keeper makes what the vast majority of observers believe was a perfectly legitimate tackle.

Are you actually a Burnley fan, or Devils Advocate under another name?

As for the second incident, VAR is there to adjudicate on penalties it thinks should have been awarded but haven’t been. I don’t see why the incorrect award of a free kick changes that.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:05 pm

Also see that the ref is from Wirral. I’ll keep an eye out for him🤯

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:10 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm
You’re completely contradicting yourself by saying it’s OK for their keeper to wipe out one of our players in attempting to get the ball because it’s a “contact sport”, but that doesn’t apply when our keeper makes what the vast majority of observers believe was a perfectly legitimate tackle.

Are you actually a Burnley fan, or Devils Advocate under another name?

As for the second incident, VAR is there to adjudicate on penalties it thinks should have been awarded but haven’t been. I don’t see why the incorrect award of a free kick changes that.
Like I've said, right from the off, I think the game was badly refereed.
Pope...could be seen as studs up/ out of control (not that I have to agree), I'm seeing it as a possible reason for the penalty.
Why did VAR uphold it? I don't know if an official reason has been stated.
With the Barnes goal, what I've said is that either "assumed" foul could so easily have been disregarded at the moment of impact. Had that happened the goal could have stood.
I don't see how I'm contradicting myself purely by offering alternatives.

But, if you want an alternative, just look at the final stats and score!

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:39 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:28 pm
He was a little late getting there (not his fault, but still a fact..
It can't be a fact if he was first to the ball, which he was. He has no option but to go for that and the ball clearly changed direction once it came off his leg. The momentum carried the players into each other, but Pope didn't go in dangerously or with the intent of taking out the player. He went for and won the ball. It was a brilliant tackle.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:45 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:39 pm
It can't be a fact if he was first to the ball, which he was. He has no option but to go for that and the ball clearly changed direction once it came off his leg. The momentum carried the players into each other, but Pope didn't go in dangerously or with the intent of taking out the player. He went for and won the ball. It was a brilliant tackle.
Sorry Mik, but I think if you are seen to be lunging in " not in control" you can foul an opponent whether you are first or second to the ball.
I'm only offering this as a possibility FFS. When it all boils down it was a pen, just look at the score!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:45 pm
When it all boils down it was a pen, just look at the score!
What a load of b0llocks it is to say that.

It just proves that you're here either for the wind up or you're in that deep you can't crawl out.

Shite referee, shite VAR, shite sport now. Shite shite shite.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:12 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 pm
What a load of b0llocks it is to say that.

It just proves that you're here either for the wind up or you're in that deep you can't crawl out.

Shite referee, shite VAR, shite sport now. Shite shite shite.
Sorry, but sometimes you just have to give up.
Yes, terrible ref. And While I'm putting forward possible decisions that is always the primary point.
All I am saying (which has made such an issue) is that, given the quality of ref, I can understand the decisions,
Pope on Bamford? The other end we'd have expected a penalty.
2 players collide in the air on the edge of the penalty area ...play on and make the decision after the end of the play. Goal stands.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:22 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:49 pm
If that's true then it's absolutely crazy.
Agreed.

It would seem to suggest that if a defender kicked an attacker in the nuts then head-butted him in the face in his own penalty area but the ref somehow saw it as a foul by the attacker and awarded a free kick to the defender it couldn't be reviewed by VAR as a 'clear and obvious error' because the refs (wrongly) awarded a free kick.

Or am I missing something? :?

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:32 pm
The referee has awarded a free kick which is not under the jurisdiction of VAR. As a result the game must restart with that free kick. That’s how it has been explained. Gallagher said this morning that by blowing his whistle for a free kick he had closed every other option.
I'm sure Gallagher is wrong about that. I have certainly seen an incident where the ref gave a free kick for diving but VAR reversed it and gave a penalty.

Also, if VAR had had a look at this or a similar incident and decided that the keeper should be sent off, would the ref still be expected to show the red card on the keeper for the foul and then start play with a free kick for the foul on the man he has just sent off? Surely even the VAR planners couldn't be as daft as that.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32410 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:42 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:27 pm
I'm sure Gallagher is wrong about that. I have certainly seen an incident where the ref gave a free kick for diving but VAR reversed it and gave a penalty.
Which is not the same at all. The on field referee has blown and given a free kick. Whether the goalkeeper has fouled Mee is, although in the same incident, not part of it.

Once he’s blown for that free kick, that’s how the game must restart.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:42 pm
Which is not the same at all. The on field referee has blown and given a free kick. Whether the goalkeeper has fouled Mee is, although in the same incident, not part of it.

Once he’s blown for that free kick, that’s how the game must restart.
But if he (like us v Bournemouth last year) has given a goal at the other end, that can be overturned, or if he has given a goal kick, or corner, or drop ball, or anything else, it can be overturned; but if he's given a free kick it can't? I knew there were some idiots running the game, but not as idiotic as that.

If a defender commits a professional foul in the area and the ref gives a free kick the other way, can he still send the defender off for preventing a goalscoring opportunity?

I take it this doesn't apply to offside. A ref can give offside and have it overturned by VAR, I'm sure.
This user liked this post: scouseclaret

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:04 am

One of the most incompetent and inept displays of refereeing ever in the Premier League. In my opinion the ref should never be allowed to referee a game at any level ever again and if he had any respect for the game of football, himself or for his shambolic performance he would and should resign. He got so many things wrong all through the game it was an absolute joke. Again in my opinion there should be a serious investigation into his decisions, motives and links with other contacts in the game and I say that in all seriousness. My anger and disgust will not go away until he is removed completely from refereeing.

The Pope incident was ridiculous, it was categorically not a penalty. Pope who was entitled to go for the ball, got there first and played the ball away from Bamford who if you look at it carefully moves towards the direction the ball is kicked away and at that point has no way of scoring as he would be nowhere near the ball. His momentum takes him into Pope so it is a collision. At no point does Pope make contact with Bamford before the ball is played and Pope does not attempt to take Bamford out instead of the ball.

As for the Mee incident, it is the most inept and incompetent piece of refereeing and a complete travesty. Mee with his back to the goal is attempting to head a ball that he is perfectly entitled to do so. He is not looking at the keeper or making any attempt to block him as he doesn't even know where he is. Me is not interfering with play or any player in any way. The goalkeeper has has full view of the play rushes out with force and makes what is a deliberate and reckless attack into the back of a player who is facing away from him. He deliberately and with malice has his knee in a dangerous position and lunges into the player with obvious consequences. Ben Mee could have had his back broken or suffered a serious whiplash injury to the neck. Without question the goalkeeper should have been red carded for dangerous and reckless play. That alone should have caused a VAR review to take place. An obvious penalty and an obvious piece of gross stupidity by the ref in giving a free kick against Ben Mee. There is no way on earth could Ben Mee have been guilty of anything.

What makes it even more disgusting is that knob Gallagher tries to suggest that the referee could not see the knee into Ben Mee's back. If that were true then he couldn't possibly have seen an offence by Mee on the keeper either. If that was the case then it makes a review for a clear and obvious mistake should have been made by VAR. The keeper lunged into Mee and a clear blatant penalty one million times out of a million. It was obvious that it was Mee who had been clattered into and my only thought was when they said a whistle had been blown that it was a definite penalty and any review by VAR would have red carded the goalkeeper.

Had it been one of the Premier League elite and we all know who they are then the decision would have been a red card and a penalty or had play gone on as it should instead of the whistle then a goal be given. How the referee can believe he got his decisions right is totally beyond me. A total muppet and virtually everyone in the country knows it.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1124 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 am

To put the challenge by their keeper into perspective. If that was a rugby league game. The keeper would’ve been sent off for that knee up challenge, no ifs, no buts. Red card in the toughest sport around.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am

How can Pope’s interception be deemed late when The violin player got there after him? As sort of mentioned above, had Tarks (or more likely say Van Dyke to satisfy the likes of Caragher) made that tackle they’d have been spouting what a brilliant piece of defending it was.........

And how anyone can even remotely defend the refs (is he really a ref?!) views on the Ben Mee incident.........well.............

And a very restrained report CT-very well done!!!!!

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:24 am

LaLiga - the vast majority of us (and indeed most non-Clarets) agree withmost of that, but if you're waiting for him to be delisted, I think you'll wait a long time. How can they possibly ban him after one of their "top" referees upheld both appalling decisions on VAR?

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Personally I thought Michael Oliver was more culpable than Jones.
No. Jones has to take full responsibility for this one. It's one thing being "out of your depth". It's far more serious being "totally incompetent". Football fans have long memories and I trust the authorities keep him away from our games in future.