Think VAR is bad in the Premier League?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Brisliam
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Think VAR is bad in the Premier League?

Post by Brisliam » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm

The Australian A League sets the bar very, very low:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a ... 58c8d78f7a

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Re: Think VAR is bad in the Premier League?

Post by Ric_C » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:56 am

Absolute joke. Once again highlights that even with VAR in place, we are at the whim of one person's (stupid) opinion.
Where's the common sense gone out of football?
What are we gaining from all this? Not much compared to what we are losing in terms of spontaneity.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:37 am

At least it was the refs opinion. But even so, it shows quite clearly that it wasn't serious foul play. The problem is, from one angle it looks really bad. And then we come down to how long should we need to look a decision before it becomes clear and obvious?

One thing is clear and obvious. VAR has done nothing for the game. The only people who benefit are the refs. Now they have an excuse to hide behind for their poor decisions. I could forgive refs in the past for incorrect decisions. Now I'm just bitter when justice doesn't prevail

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 am

It’s been a major problem here in Australia since it’s introduction 5 years ago. It started off bad, and slowly got worse. I had a season ticket at Melbourne Victory then. That first season was dire. The game here is slow enough, VAR slowed it even more, refs are not top class, so decisions were poor. Didn’t get a season ticket the next season, picked my games. Watched on tv a lot. On the plus side of VAR and poor refs, I made a bit of money backing red cards in games. But now, I don’t watch at all, it’s killed my interaction with the A-League.
Now it’s doing the same for me with the Premier League. VAR is killing the beautiful game, the game we all fell in love with.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:01 am

To answer the question answered in the title....

Yes. Absolutely i do. I’m with rammy.... it’s ruining the game. I was encouraged when it came out, we wouldn’t be robbed again like we have in the past... yeah, right.

The idea is sound.... the execution has been amateur.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 am

Ric_C wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:56 am
Absolute joke. Once again highlights that even with VAR in place, we are at the whim of one person's (stupid) opinion.
Where's the common sense gone out of football?
What are we gaining from all this? Not much compared to what we are losing in terms of spontaneity.
Exactly - what are we gaining? Nowt.