Vydra

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Re: Vydra

Post by claretgimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Nobody is saying he`s the answer just saying it would be a different option to the baron pairing that is currently occupying or we could just sleepwalk into the championship losing 1-0 each week

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 pm

Did he not sign a new contract recently? If so he cannot have been that unsettled. I recall he said he was pleased to sign the contract.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm

One year extension triggered by the club I believe, which adds transfer value

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 pm

claretgimmer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm
Nobody is saying he`s the answer just saying it would be a different option to the baron pairing that is currently occupying or we could just sleepwalk into the championship losing 1-0 each week
We've lost three of our last ten games

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Doesn`t alter the fact that our front two are misfiring and it needs changing and Vydra is part of the option

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

claretgimmer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 pm
Doesn`t alter the fact that our front two are misfiring and it needs changing and Vydra is part of the option
Maybe not, but it does mean we're not "sleepwalking into the championship losing 1-0 each week".
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole dandeclaret

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2600 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm

World
Record
Fee?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 pm

bobinho wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Mmmm... :roll: None of us really know do we, so we speculate on here. I'm definitely suggesting it's possible. He DOES have a stubborn streak tho... i think we have all seen that.

What REALLY irks me in all this though, is those that are blindly backing the managers choice to not use him when they can surely see that he brings a new dynamic to the team when he plays. Sure he's no Messi or Bebeto, but he's more of a handful for opposing defenders than Wood, and his pace gives them something else to think about. You ask a defender at ANY level what he fears the most.... But he's the manager and can't possibly be getting anything wrong can he? Wonder how many saying this were saying "why doesn't he move Mee to centre half and bring Wardy in at left back?" and we all know how that turned out don't we? My point being here that sometimes even us fans can see whats happening on the pitch and can see where improvements can be made.

For the record, i'm a massive SD fan despite what i have written, and there isn't another manager anywhere i would swap him for. But lets be honest, he ain't perfect...
I was definitely one of those bleating for Mee to be moved to centre half and I’d love for Vydra to be given a run of games.

Reckon we will only see a fifty percent hit rate though.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:32 pm

bobinho wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm
Mmmm... :roll: None of us really know do we, so we speculate on here. I'm definitely suggesting it's possible. He DOES have a stubborn streak tho... i think we have all seen that.

What REALLY irks me in all this though, is those that are blindly backing the managers choice to not use him when they can surely see that he brings a new dynamic to the team when he plays. Sure he's no Messi or Bebeto, but he's more of a handful for opposing defenders than Wood, and his pace gives them something else to think about. You ask a defender at ANY level what he fears the most.... But he's the manager and can't possibly be getting anything wrong can he? Wonder how many saying this were saying "why doesn't he move Mee to centre half and bring Wardy in at left back?" and we all know how that turned out don't we? My point being here that sometimes even us fans can see whats happening on the pitch and can see where improvements can be made.

For the record, i'm a massive SD fan despite what i have written, and there isn't another manager anywhere i would swap him for. But lets be honest, he ain't perfect...
I think you've hit the nail on the head. And I agree entirely. I want Dyche to stay. Its the main reason I was happy with the takeover. But he isn't perfect

He is definitely stubborn. With regards to the changes you note, I think quite a few of us were suggesting the changes he eventually made, only some time before he did. But his stubbornness might also pay off when we don't realise. How often do players come into form when many of us are clamouring for them to be dropped?

I'm a huge Vydra fan. Its so clear to me that he changes our dynamic, and brings the midfield into play so much more. I think combining him with McNeil in a more central position would be a masterstroke, but we will never see it.

The "In Dyche We Trust" brigade annoy me to hell and back. Yes I trust Dyche. But if your entire opinion is just "I agree with Dyche no matter what" then why bother. That's not an opinion. That's just lazy. Sometimes they can't explain why they agree with Dyche. Their argument is "well why would you know more than a professional premier league manager??" And fine, maybe i dont. But it doesn't mean that he is therefore right and I am wrong 100% of the time. If that was the case, then surely all PL managers would always do the right thing all of the time, and there would be no point in ever changing your manager.

Id be really interested to know exactly how many burnley fans currently think Wood is our best striker. I suspect its high, but I know far too many people not on this forum who are adamant that it's Vydra. And thats not just Burnley fans...
These 7 users liked this post: ksrclaret bobinho nyclaret tiger76 yosserhughes gandhisflipflop jrgbfc

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 pm

When you watch us, we rarely move the ball forward in central midfield, it's not a tactic we use and it wouldn't serve Wood or Barnes particularly well.
Vydra (or Rodriguez) would be better at collecting the ball to feet outside the opposing box...but, as I say,it's not a tactic we use.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Not PL quality as evidenced by his lack of game time, get him sold and ideally sign a first choice striker, or promote one of the Youth strikers into first team contention.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm
Not PL quality as evidenced by his lack of game time, get him sold and ideally sign a first choice striker, or promote one of the Youth strikers into first team contention.
His lack of time under Dyche is because he is not a hard working physical player. He’s not Dyches signing.

snapcrackleandpop
Been Liked: 122 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 am

Right_winger wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 pm
His lack of time under Dyche is because he is not a hard working physical player. He’s not Dyches signing.
Is that technical speak for a "lump" (not a dig at you RW BTW) because that is a Dyche type player otherwise we would see a lot more of Jay. As mentioned earlier in the thread we looked so much better with Jay & Vydra, I think Sean's tactics may just wear a little thin with Mr Pace.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 am
Is that technical speak for a "lump" (not a dig at you RW BTW) because that is a Dyche type player otherwise we would see a lot more of Jay. As mentioned earlier in the thread we looked so much better with Jay & Vydra, I think Sean's tactics may just wear a little thin with Mr Pace.

You think Pace has got into this to be entertained by tippy tappy football rather than make a profit ?

Makes you wonder why he didn't buy the numerous championship clubs who play this way for a lot less

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am
You think Pace has got into this to be entertained by tippy tappy football rather than make a profit ?

Makes you wonder why he didn't buy the numerous championship clubs who play this way for a lot less
Not sure he wants this hoof ball either but time will tell, I just don't think Sean will be as unaccountable as he has been going forward, which is not a bad thing. But the last thing I want is Dyche to leave, but, he has to stop being so stubborn or it will end in tears and they won't from Mr Pace.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:03 am
I think Sean's tactics may just wear a little thin with Mr Pace.
I think the Dyche tactics of creating xxx millions of profit and increased asset value over the last 8 years will wear rather thick with Mr Pace
This user liked this post: fatboy47

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am
Not sure he wants this hoof ball either but time will tell, I just don't think Sean will be as unaccountable as he has been going forward, which is not a bad thing. But the last thing I want is Dyche to leave, but, he has to stop being so stubborn or it will end in tears and they won't from Mr Pace.
Unaccountable? What does this mean?

He's the manager of a football club, with the aim of maintaining premier league football. That is what he is accountable for, and what he has been incredibly successful at. He isn't stubborn. Like most good sports people, and most good business managers, he has a laser focus on what the unique attributes that he can get the most from are, and works hard to get that from them. Very few successful businesses or teams just abandon their core principles that are delivering the results they want, to try something on the whim of others. It's unlikely that Ryanair would go..... bit bored of flying planes, let's try and build some electric cars.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 am

Think the only tears will be from those who think everything on the pitch is going to change due to a new owner off the pitch.

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 am

So you're happy with whats going on on the pitch then, "unaccountable" maybe is not quite the correct term, what I meant to say was no matter how poorly we play, long runs without a win, we can't score for they life in us at the moment, his reluctance to change things when everybody in the ground can see it - he never seems to under any pressure from the powers that be.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 am

I would like to see a front pairing of JayRod & Vydra, but then again I'm not the one who kept Burnley in the PL for 7 seasons ;)

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:48 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 am
So you're happy with whats going on on the pitch then, "unaccountable" maybe is not quite the correct term, what I meant to say was no matter how poorly we play, long runs without a win, we can't score for they life in us at the moment, his reluctance to change things when everybody in the ground can see it - he never seems to under any pressure from the powers that be.
Let's break it down....

Am I happy that Burnley are towards the top of the mini league they are expected to compete in at the start of the season? Yes.
Am I happy that they've got defensive shape and work rate back? Yes.
Am I easily pleased? No
Do I have a sense of perspective? Yes
Do I hope Burnley may finish above the mini league they are expected to compete in, as they have done twice in the last 3 years? Yes
Do I think Vydra is the answer to any perceived problem on the pitch? No - not remotely.

Our long run without a win, is currently.... checks notes..... one game, against the team at the top of the league.

This idea that everybody in the ground can see it is, to be frank, a total nonsense. It completely undermines the difficulty of being a football manager, and embedding new ideas. It seems to be a bit champ manager-ish that you just change a player, and that's all that's needed.

As ever in life, in any business, if you're doing a very good job, delivering results way above the expected level, then you'll rarely be under pressure from "The Powers That Be". It's a pretty simple concept to understand.
These 3 users liked this post: brunlea99 ClaretCliff tiger76

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am

The stone cold fact of the matter is that Dyche thinks that we’ll earn less points with Vydra in the side. He sees the players day in and day out, he also has access to bundles of data and statistics which will inform his view. The idea that he’s not playing Vydra because he is stubborn is ridiculous, that would be entirely counterproductive.

It’s natural to look to the bench when we’re going through a tough run (although we’re actually on a fairly decent run in terms of results). But in the fairly limited chances that Vydra has been given I don’t think anyone can honestly say they’ve seen a player who will regularly score goals at this level.

You can argue that we play better football with him in the side but I don’t necessarily agree with this. When he comes on we are invariably chasing the game and naturally committing more men to the attack. There’s only a couple of occasions where we’ve played ‘better football’ when Vydra has started, and for balance there are also numerous times where we’ve played good football when our other strikers have played. Which suggests that Vydra alone isn’t the difference. In any case, playing better football doesn’t equate to getting better results, and as we are always told - this is a results business.

I think it’s best for all parties if Vydra leaves, he’s clearly desperate to play football and I feel sorry for him that he’s not getting a chance here. Equally, he’s proving to be a waste of a squad player and we desperately need another option that Dyche trusts to improve us.

*Apologies for the wordy post.
These 2 users liked this post: Bigvince DAVETHEVICAR

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:03 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am

*Apologies for the wordy post.
No need to apologise, I like posts with words in them
These 4 users liked this post: Rileybobs NewClaret Swizzlestick Bosscat

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:15 am

claret2018 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:42 pm
Hows it going with the humble pie, got any left yet?? 😄

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 am

Vydra was probably not a dyche signing so is down the pecking order for starts
Vydra does not suit our hoofball tactics so is down the pecking order for starts
Vydra is used by a number of fans to have a go at Dyche so is down the pecking order for starts

There are differing opinions on Vydra, but I think most people would agree Jay Rod has more natural footballing ability than either Wood or Barnes
Yet, if Wood and Barnes are fit he is generally down the pecking order for starts

Now if we were able to sign Troy Deeney ?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:42 am

The classic example was when we were getting tonked by Chelsea last season at the Bridge. I think Vydra was brought on at 3 -0 down to ironic jeers from the away support. He was on a hiding to nothing and then played poorly for the rest of the game but we had already been well beaten. I remember thinking it was a tad unfair on Vydra to be brought on in those circumstances and he was feeding on scraps. However, the dissenting voices against Dyche that day were absolutely ridiculous.

As for against Man U the other day to have Vydra starting against those centre backs may have meant us struggling more in the first half where we had to play to our strengths. Vydra was perfect to come on at the end when we had to have a go but it is quite possible we would have lost the game much earlier in the game if he had started. He doesn’t give us the strength and power to play the way we do with Barnes and Wood which helped mitigate Man U strengths for at least half the game. Could he have appeared as sub sooner, perhaps yes but Man U still weren’t creating loads of chances even as we dropped deeper.

Best to leave it to the man who knows best....Mr Dyche
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 am
Unaccountable? What does this mean?

He's the manager of a football club, with the aim of maintaining premier league football. That is what he is accountable for, and what he has been incredibly successful at. He isn't stubborn. Like most good sports people, and most good business managers, he has a laser focus on what the unique attributes that he can get the most from are, and works hard to get that from them. Very few successful businesses or teams just abandon their core principles that are delivering the results they want, to try something on the whim of others. It's unlikely that Ryanair would go..... bit bored of flying planes, let's try and build some electric cars.
And that is what is wrong with top level professional sports.

In an ideal world, everybody would start with a level playing field and we could get back to it being an entertainments industry first and foremost, but it is what it is.

Money talks and keeping our Premier League place is king.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 am

I agree Rileybobs , i just wish Dyche would make changes earlier when its not working .

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:08 am

Be a shame to see him go - can't say I blame him.

How many strikers out there will actually want to come here though?

They're never given a sniff.

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 am

Our current run is based purely on some magnificent defending not good attacking and when the defending is slightly off we struggle, what's the point in a squad if you're not going to utilise it.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am

Barnes is out of sorts at the moment and for me Vydra should be starting.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am

snapcrackleandpop wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 am
What's the long run without a win?

Ah yes - one game.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 am

expoultryboy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:59 am
I agree Rileybobs , i just wish Dyche would make changes earlier when its not working .
Got to be honest, I was calling for a change 5/10 mins before we conceded against Man Utd because we just couldn't get out of our half. Their defence was beyond the halfway line and Maguire was carrying the ball forward. With a bit of pace we may have just made their defence retreat and ease the pressure. But equally, their physical centre backs may well have just bullied Vydra out of the game, which we have seen before.

We were 20 minutes away from a fantastic point and Dyche often backs his players to see these games over the line. Quite often it works, other times it doesn't. It's only with hindsight that we can be overly critical, and even then we don't know whether the game would have changed for the better or the worse with earlier substitutions.

This is why we need to replace Vydra if possible, because we need that option that Dyche feels he can trust to bring on, or even better start games.

snapcrackleandpop

Post by snapcrackleandpop » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 am

Spijed wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am
What's the long run without a win?

Ah yes - one game.
I said WHEN we have been on long runs I never said we were currently on a poor run, if you're going have a pop at least read the post correctly.
Last edited by snapcrackleandpop on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 am

No matter what the reasons 9 goals in 16 games is not good enough something has to change whether that be personnel or tactics, we are in a relegation battle and the same old same old might not just be enough

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am

claretgimmer wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 am
No matter what the reasons 9 goals in 16 games is not good enough something has to change whether that be personnel or tactics, we are in a relegation battle and the same old same old might not just be enough
The main thing that needs to change is our luck in front of goal and it probably will.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm

I wonder if there would have been different opinions on Vydra if one of those two chances near the end the other evening had gone in.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:21 pm

beddie wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm
I wonder if there would have been different opinions on Vydra if one of those two chances near the end the other evening had gone in.
Probably, just like there would have been different opinions on Wood and Barnes had they put their chances in. Football fans are fickle. The difference is, the latter have proven themselves over the last few seasons.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:27 pm

People putting it down to luck, or lack of.

“The more I practice, the luckier I get,” Gary Player.

Its not as if they're short of practice......

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Luck has nothing to do with it

Being 1 on 1 with a league 1 goal keeper and trying to win a penalty isnt bad luck when you mess it up, just do your job and roll it in the net.

Having 3 free headers 6 yards out and not hitting the target isnt bad luck, just very bad play.

Unlucky is doing everything you should and a world class save or it being ruled out as your elbow was offside being your downfall.

Simply missing guilt edge chances time and time again isnt bad luck, it's bad play.
You hard work your way out of bad form and make your own luck, IMO Wood isnt even working hard, his head is down and he's taking the easy option rather than working twice as hard.
Last edited by MACCA on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:42 pm

I guess we will see tomorrow if the rumours have anything about them. If he is in the squad it’s probably nothing more than paper talk.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 pm
We've lost three of our last ten games
We have but in those 10 games we've only scored 6 goals, and it's mainly down to our superb defending that we've picked up as many points as we have, it's dangerous to keep relying on keeping clean sheets, so we do need to start scoring goals soon.

Now is Vydra the answer to our problems, TBH I'm afraid he's not, and when he's enjoyed an extended run in the side he's failed to grasp his chance, yes Barnes & Wood are in terrible trots, but both have shown they are capable of netting at this level over a lengthy period of time, and this is why SD persists with them as a pairing, for his and of course our sakes let's hope they came good starting tomorrow.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:30 pm

MACCA wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:37 pm
Lick has nothing to do with it

Being 1 on 1 with a league 1 goal keeper and trying to win a penalty isnt luck, just do your job and roll it in the net.

Having 3 free headers 6 yards out and not hitting the target isnt bad luck, just very bad play.

Unlucky is doing everything you should and a world class save or it being ruled out as your elbow was offside is your downfall.

Simply missing guilt edge chances time and time again isnt bad luck, it's bad play.
You hard work your way out of form and make your own luck, IMO Wood isnt even working hard, his head is down and he's taking the easy option tattered than working.
Nail on the head there Macca.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Dyche says today that there has been no contact from Union Berlin regarding Vydra

So starts tomorrow ;)

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:38 pm
Dyche says today that there has been no contact from Union Berlin regarding Vydra

So starts tomorrow ;)
Fingers crossed.