ARTICLE: Brave Burnley go out in Anfield replay

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: Brave Burnley go out in Anfield replay

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:12 am

Cup hopes over for another year in 1973 but still a lot to look forward to

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/brave-burn ... eld-replay

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Re: ARTICLE: Brave Burnley go out in Anfield replay

Post by strayclaret » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 am

Remember it well. Our first trip to Merseyside, didn’t have a clue where we were going. Saw some floodlights in the distance, parked up near them. It was surprisingly quiet and on approaching the ground we realised it was Goodison and Everton reserves were playing!. Were redirected and on arrival at Anfield the streets around were packed. No tickets in those days and at every turnstile we got near to, suddenly closed.
Eventually got in on the Kop, what an experience that was. Packed in like sardines, started near the back but by the end of the match ended up near the front. Every piece of action lead to us swaying sideways and forwards. Stevos save resulted in mass clapping from the scousers. Despite them winning they were very complimentary and wished us luck.
Took us ages to find the car and I think I got home at about 3am.
Those were the days :D :D

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:37 am

As you suggest the save by Alan Stevenson from Peter Cormack is etched in the memory. A valiant effort but in front of their own fans Liverpool were an extremely dominant force. So, it was a return journey to the capital the next day and then a visit to see the vice-principal to explain where I had been. Great :roll:
Just looking at the other scores and good to see not only replays but also second replays. The FA Cup created huge interest then unlike the neatly packaged bundle that exists currently.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 am

The one thing with Anfield was that you couldn't see the floodlight pylons from outside, they were concrete and not very high. At Goodison, even after they stopped using them, they left one standing to help people find the ground. Had a similar experience getting in for the league game in 1969/70 and eventually just managed to get into the Kop.

They gave Stevo an amazing reception that night.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm

It was similar to playing them now as we tried to repel attack after attack. Ii was my first visit to Anfield and I was in the stand with the enclosure in front. The Kop would've been full to its capacity of 27,000 and I'd never seen anything like it, a constant swaying, surging sea of heads.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:37 am
As you suggest the save by Alan Stevenson from Peter Cormack is etched in the memory. A valiant effort but in front of their own fans Liverpool were an extremely dominant force. So, it was a return journey to the capital the next day and then a visit to see the vice-principal to explain where I had been. Great :roll:
Just looking at the other scores and good to see not only replays but also second replays. The FA Cup created huge interest then unlike the neatly packaged bundle that exists currently.
Proper FA Cup back then, play until there’s a winner.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Absolutely. Just out of interest I think Liverpool went on to play Man City and must have lost because I'm sure that Sunderland, the eventual winners of the trophy, knocked City out in a replay in a later round.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:21 pm

City did beat Liverpool and were knocked out by Sunderland

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 pm

I was there and also finished up in the Kop with a mate. We started in the middle but got shunted all over the place so decided to find somewhere at the back halfway through the first half for our safety. Not a pleasant experience but we didn’t learn, did exactly the same a few years later for exactly the same score.