Dwight in the 34th minute today and why we were able to beat Liverpool

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Dwight in the 34th minute today and why we were able to beat Liverpool

Post by ecc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:16 pm

I have now seen just under 65 minutes (55 against DL and seven today) of our lads on TV this season.

Didn't realise our game was being shown on a channel I had. Due to...family issues, I only managed about seven minutes this afternoon but got lucky.

I saw Jack put in a superb cross and Jay hammer the ball home magnificenly with his bullet header right down low in the corner of the net.

But what counted almost as much for me was something Dwight did in, I think, the 34th minute. Fulham were attacking and suddenly we saw Dwight sprinting back maybe 40 or 50 yards to help out his defender (must have been Erik the Versatile). The Fulham winger was thus faced with two of our lads and the ball went out for a throw in because of Dwight's efforts. We know Dwight is not a born tackler but that isn't an absolute necessity. By doubling up on the Fulham player he helped prevent him from causing danger. Maybe he does this all the time - I don't know because I don't see our games - but I suspect he does because he has to. It was a weakness before but what he did epitomises the Dychian spirit and explains why we are able, in a lot of games, to concede relatively few goals.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Re: Dwight in the 34th minute today and why we were able to beat Liverpool

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:44 pm

I did an assessment of him after the BHA match and apologised to him as watching live you just don’t appreciate how much defensive work he does. Watching it back later and concentrating solely on him he is tireless up and down. Since then I keep an eye on him for this and it is every game.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:56 pm

Dwight has made some excellent tackles in the last few games. Sort of block tackling so he won't foul, but is in a very good balanced position to out strength far bigger players.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 pm

he seems an awful lot fitter at the moment, doesn't look knackered after 20 mins and was still going strong today even after his efforts at Anfield, becoming more of an all rounder than just a winger. Top player

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:26 pm

Thank you for your observations, lads. It's clear he's worked hard on this aspect of his game which he had to in order to meet the requirements of wingers in today's game. Fair play to the lad. It speaks volumes about his attitude.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:29 pm

He looks like he has energy to burn at the minute.

Great to see.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm

His breathing rather then his fitness seems to have improved for me which makes it easier for him to do more, and don’t forget he’s relatively young he’s learning all the time, very good progress to see.