Mental Health Thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Mental Health Thread

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:17 pm

Just wanted to use this post as a potential point for people to talk about mental health, either their own or in general. It can be quite hard to talk openly about mental health issues but I have found it quite useful to use social media as an outlet either to discuss how I'm feeling or help others with their own struggles.

Hope everyone is doing ok, and, after that result we're all delighted I'm sure!

If times get hard and you feel you need to talk, just post here. Let's chat.

UTC.
These 12 users liked this post: ClaretPope Longsidebovril Reecey1987 Steve1956 Jakubclaret Pearcey Wile E Coyote huw.Y.WattfromWare Duffer_ dansch Burnley1989 ecc

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Re: Mental Health Thread

Post by Marney&Mee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:26 pm

Great idea. Have it as a sticky at the top. Really good one on grand old team (Everton forum)

Longsidebovril
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 258 times

Post by Longsidebovril » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Good idea.

Tough times at the moment ...

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:29 pm

I think there are some on the Villa Forums could do with reading the OP 😏

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:29 pm
I think there are some on the Villa Forums could do with reading the OP 😏
My Thoughts.....

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 pm

Il start by saying this lockdown has hit me a hell of a lot harder than the previous two.

My motivation for anything is almost none existent right now. Probably why I am on this messageboard all the time now, just so I can get a bit of social interaction.

Thank the lord Burnley have had three cracking results really brings you out of a rut, even if it is just for a few hours.
These 2 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote Duffer_

NickBFC
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 290 times

Post by NickBFC » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:40 pm

The current lockdown certainly has been tough; the not knowing when it'll end and the miserable weather hasn't helped. Trying to home school and keep the kids' morale up is a tough ask whilst we both try and work from home. It looks like our wedding is going to be postponed for a second time, so things are pretty rubbish. It could be a lot worse - there will be light at the end of the tunnel whenever that might be. We just have to keep plugging away, a bit like the Clarets!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:40 pm

This winter has definetely been tough. Its so hard getting to every weekend and basically having nothing to look forward to. Feels a bit like groundhog day. On the plus side January is nearly over and we're that little bit closer to spring!
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

ClaretBrewer
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by ClaretBrewer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 pm

The company I work for provides credit for things like furniture and bathrooms. In lockdown 1 advances dropped dramatically but in lockdown 3 we're not far off budget. More shops are open and employees are demanding more of their staff. Add to that home schooling and my days are basically work 9-5, put the kids to bed, then work again until my bedtime. It's just not sustainable (and I should point out the company I work for are one of the more supportive), and I think a lot of people are going to struggle for years to come with the mental health issues caused by all this.

I've just submitted a planning application for a brewery tap room in Otley. I spoke to Andy's Man Club about holding a regular men's health meeting there, but as they rightly pointed out many of the people could be addicts of some kind so meeting in a brewery won't work. I do intend to dedicate a night for anybody who just wants a chat and a bit of company to come along. I'm in no way qualified as a councillor but I'm very happy to listen.

I'll post details once planning is approved and we're able to open if anyone is interested.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:55 pm

Great idea far to many people suffer in silence we all need to look out for each other.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:09 pm

It’s always useful to look out for the resources available, mindsmatters & talking therapy’s & other organisations who provide support such as able futures, little simple modifications can boost people’s mental health enormously, some of the changes some people don’t even know exist but the information is available.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 pm

I feel guilt when I consider my low moods as a problem, more so because of the plight of thousands that have suffered due to losing loved ones. Nevertheless at times I believe I have never felt so demotivated in my life. I never expected to feel this way. I cannot quite work out whether its my inability to understand what's going on, or just a general malaise that is widespread. I have definately lost my spark.
Feel like a sodding zombie half the time.not in the sense of desiring one. these are harsh times for mental health.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:33 pm

It’s everywhere, lots of people are all in the same boat, people used to talk to each other in queues etc but now everybody’s keeping distance & masked up which isn’t conducive to any good feel factors, I genuinely think when people can see some sort of a end game with all this & we get some brighter weather in as a combo, things will pickup.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:55 pm

This lockdown has definitely, for some reason, been harder than last year, I don't know why but we all seem to be suffering mentally in different ways. I know people who have/had mental health issues before this, and I've never been affected, but this winter has been hard and if I'm finding it hard then it must be really hard on some people. However, I've also seen the emotional effects on people who have been ill, or had relatives who are ill, or have died from covid, so the lockdown was needed.

Home schooling is hard (for parents and children) but then them being in school is a worry. The number of people I know who have died is in double figures, including 3 close family members, which is emotionally draining. Getting daily walks in spring/summer and playing in the garden was good last year, but it's been harder to get out on walks this past month (I'm really busy with work) which is bad. Because we've been running a Church during this whole crisis we've also exposed ourselves (willingly) to a lot more messages from people who are ill/need to talk, which is good to be able to do that but hard because you then worry about people.

I'm drinking more and sleeping less, but fresh air and walks seem to be the key for us, and we've managed 3 walks in 7 days this week which gave us a bit of a lift, so roll on spring.

We'll be ok in the end, but I think there will be a lot of people who are going to need a lot of help with their mental health when this is over.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:05 am

Great idea for a thread.

I know Bosscat’s post was in jest, but perhaps this can be one of those rare threads that keep on topic and don’t make light of what is a serious issue, for a seemingly growing number of people.
These 2 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote tiger76

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 am

no reason to think the thread won't get diminished by a few ricochets, I don't mind that. But is is a good idea to keep this one active, and all credit to the OP.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 am

Hmm, well this is interesting. It took all of about seven or eight posts to see some ideas and behaviours creep in which I've observed in people in real life, but which I'm unsure is either human nature or a behaviour learned which is stereotypically British, and especially Northern working class. I've seen this a fair bit, but essentially a person brings up something which is causing them trouble (for most people recently it's lockdown/the pandemic), they express some kind of emotional strain or discomfort, some anxiety or stress, and then BAM!...in the very next breath immediately press it down with a form of positivity. For example, 'such and such a thing has been incredibly hard for me...BUT other people have it worse', or 'I admit, I've been struggling with this thing or that...BUT I suppose I still have my job, and my family are safe', etc, and this goes on and on and on.

Imagine that you're recently bereaved. (Sadly, some folks don't need to imagine it). Imagine trying to express to somebody else your raw grief, only for them to respond "well look on the bright side...blah blah blah". I'm sorry, but when a person is in a state of grief this is not what they need to hear. Meeting someone at an empathetic level is what they need. Giving them the care, time and space they need to process their grief is what they need.

The pandemic has put us all under a lot of strain, and for most, we're all grieving the loss of something. Hear me out. Even among those lucky enough not to have lost someone close to us, we've had our social interactions snatched from us. Family visits. The ability to celebrate major life milestones. We've had plans — genuine, huge, life altering plans, snatched away. Younger folks feel as though they've lost their future. Middle aged folks feel as though their life is more precarious than it was, and have the added responsibility of raising kids on top of it all. And the elderly are anxious for quite obvious and understandable reasons. Folks are genuinely, and not without good reason, struggling to conceive of a happy future. Many have lost businesses. It feels to a lot of folks as though they'll have to build their lives from scratch. So we've lost it all: the comfort of interpersonal relationships, the possibility of having fun, an even remotely lucid idea of our own future, money, security, safety, hope, and yes, even family and friends to the disease. Folks, this is loss, this is grief. This is a level of emotional discomfort, stress and anxiety in common with bereavement, if not as obvious and as raw; and much like actual bereavement, much of it is borne of circumstances completely beyond our control. Why treat it any different to grief? Because of some nonsensical idea of a stiff upper lip? Because of Second World War propaganda posters?

In swatting away or squashing down your stress and anxieties by piling on some form of positivity, you're being so much more cruel to yourself than you ever would be to another person, because you're not allowing yourself the space to process those losses, and are instead balling it all up and putting it deep down in your subconscious, where it'll stalk you and drag you down later in months or years to come. And God forbid people try to drink this discomfort away. That's a recipe for disaster. Treat your emotional discomfort like grief, because in a way it is. Try to recognise and focus on the specifics of what is causing you discomfort (i.e. not just pandemic, but specifically what about it) and give yourself the time to process it and bring a bit of clarity to whatever is bringing you discomfort, but don't swat it away by saying "BUUUUUT I'm luckier than others in this way or that". What you have doesn't matter. It's what you've lost which matters, and what you still have won't change what you've lost.

If you ever feel your blood pressure rising, and your breath quickening, and your stomach hollowing, and your face and neck and chest and back flushing hot, and your heart palpitating, and your nerves fraying, and you're overcome with a sense of despair and hopelessness, it's not going to be resolved by trying to trick your mind into thinking that everything is okay, and pointing to a few positives in you life as proof, or comparing your lot with someone who has it (supposedly) "much worse". That's...that's self abuse. You aren't giving yourself the space to just sit there and say "this is truly $hit and I hate it". Like with bereavement, it's only by accepting that this is a $hit moment, truly accepting it without condition and without attempting to argue with yourself or down-play its seriousness, that you can find a route out of that valley of grief. When you're finally in a position where you feel like you're able to manage your anxieties, and in a kind of perverse way, fully accept the hopelessness of a lot of things, especially those beyond your immediate control, only then — when you're able to reconcile the things you've lost and engage with them in your mind without it causing you discomfort or stress, when you've reconciled your grief to the extent that you can begin to envision a moment in the future, however trivial, without it causing a panic attack in you for how it seems at this moment unattainable — only then is it healthy to look to the positive things in life. But until then, be kind enough to yourself to allow yourself to feel down, and to accept that it's almost always normal and rational, and that you're well within your right to feel like $hit. Because this is $hit. For just about everyone.

So if I could give one piece of advice, it'd be to be as kind and empathetic to yourself as you would to someone else, and don't squash your discomforts and anxieties with bull$hit positivity. An in-practice example: "I hate that I can't visit my nan". That's it. End of thought. Not to be followed up with "...but at least she's still alive", or "but at least I don't live alone", because following up with those things only squashes down your initial emotional pang, and it doesn't allow you to fully engage with the fact you can't see her. Allow yourself to be upset that you can't see your nan. No condition, no asterisk, no arguing with yourself as though being upset by the fact you can't visit her is somehow unreasonable, because it most certainly isn't. I hope one or two folks might find something of value, however small, in reading this post.

Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:21 am

It's daft, and awful to say it, but this year has been one of the best in my life.

This was always going to be a long haul, and I fully accepted that at the start. I haven't taken notice of what I can and cannot do. But given that I have no family no kids, and I live with my fiancee of ten years, it's easy for me.

I'm at uni doing music in my last year and have absolutely buried myself in the work. Also taken up video editing and animation too. I think having the creative outlet is a massive one and I'd highly recommend it to anyone, even those who pupport to not be creative. If you have a Ps4 consider the "game" Dreams. It teaches you to make movies video games and music, and it's really quite easy. Assets you release can be made remixable so if there is a skill you don't have, say sculpting a model, you can simply grab someone elses. Best of all it was made in Britain and while I'm no nationalist, its nice to have something to be proud of our country for.

That being said, every close friend I have is either at or approaching rock bottom, that ain't nice. I have suffered with depression in my life and its likely down to a pretty harsh upbringing and I do have more words of advice.

1) create something
2) drink more water
3) walking, if your depressed you won't feel like it but walking in forests has provable health benefits.
4) keep your treats as treats, whatever your poison, the last thing you need is to raise the bar on what you consider a treat by virtue of overdoing them
5) meditation, ten mins a day, just sit there, watch your breath, when you get carried away in your thoughts, go back to the breath, the thoughts won't stop but the gap between them gets a bit longer the more you do it.
6) Look up Maslows hierarchy of needs, if you have a problem at the lower levels of that pyramid, it is psychologically Impossible to attain anything above it, if you have an issue in the lower half, you may not have depression, those things are so fundamental to survive and thrive and if your suffering with those things, then fixing them may be a path to happiness. Simply put, if the problem is big enough, it is hard to call that depression.
7) help someone who has it worse than you, it helps to put things in perspective, and widens your view, depression leads to a sort of tunnel vision that looks a lot like selfishness, giving a damn about the other really helps.
8) sleep is not negotiable, (he says at 2:15 am) ((bugger off you I'm still working)) (don't you back chat me you double bracket knob)

If I've said one thing that you can pick up and do something with, ace.

Advice is ten a penny these days, so if you have found a way to get upset at my well meaning words, just ignore me.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:52 am

Dante.El.Chunk wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:21 am
7) help someone who has it worse than you, it helps to put things in perspective, and widens your view, depression leads to a sort of tunnel vision that looks a lot like selfishness, giving a damn about the other really helps.
Great post, especially the comment about creating something, the process of which is itself somewhat meditative, but the only slight point of contention I have is the comment above about perspective — or maybe let's call it...stress-relativism?... because the word 'perspective' sounds to me to be a bit loaded and might assume...unreasonableness? While I see enforcing a sense of perspective upon oneself as a powerful and sometimes very effective way of coping, I'd question its value as a means of truly reconciling the thing or things (or absence of things) which send folks into spirals of anxiety, despair, hopelessness and depression, and while I don't mean this to sound at all argumentative, I'd also argue that it is somewhat infantilising, as though folk haven't considered their circumstances relative to others, because as can be seen from this thread, people often mention how things could be worse (which I'd argue isn't actually the point when you're yourself struggling). Great plaster over the wound, sure, but not always a cure. Anyway, I like everything else you say. I'll have to look into 'Dreams'.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:15 am

Things could have been very different for me. My wife and I separated in April 2019 and were living separately in two houses right up until the first lockdown. It was more luck than anything that the lockdown happened as I was spending more time at our marital home.
I know for a fact not seeing her or our pets would have been the end of me. As it was. I was in and out of hospital four or five times within a five week period when we split due to mental health issues and generally giving up.

So for me. Lockdown actually helped bring us back together in a bizarre twist of fate.
We're not social people so it doesn't affect us that we don't see others but can totally relate to people who feel alone and helpless.
The weather doesn't help. At least in the warmer months last year we could enjoy the garden.
We do need our friends and family more than ever and if you feel you know someone who just needs a phone call to reassure them or break up that loneliness. It can make a real difference.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Aclaret

Dante.El.Chunk
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Dante.El.Chunk » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 am

Spiral wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:52 am
Great post, especially the comment about creating something, the process of which is itself somewhat meditative, but the only slight point of contention I have is the comment above about perspective — or maybe let's call it...stress-relativism?... because the word 'perspective' sounds to me to be a bit loaded and might assume...unreasonableness? While I see enforcing a sense of perspective upon oneself as a powerful and sometimes very effective way of coping, I'd question its value as a means of truly reconciling the thing or things (or absence of things) which send folks into spirals of anxiety, despair, hopelessness and depression, and while I don't mean this to sound at all argumentative, I'd also argue that it is somewhat infantilising, as though folk haven't considered their circumstances relative to others, because as can be seen from this thread, people often mention how things could be worse (which I'd argue isn't actually the point when you're yourself struggling). Great plaster over the wound, sure, but not always a cure. Anyway, I like everything else you say. I'll have to look into 'Dreams'.

Sure thing, the perspective bit aside, it's definitely more about the doing of the helping than the thought exercise. I knew 7 might be contentious. But to be clear it's not about giving a thought to someone, it's the deed. Many people consider those worse off, few people do something, otherwise we'd have far less problems in society than we do.

Thanks for the measured critique 😊

Sure it's a plaster, but so are they all. Do one of them, small temporary comfort.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:42 am

My dad died last January, just prior to the lockdowns etc.

I did struggle quite badly with it as he was the go to person for me when I had things to work through, as neither my mum or legal guardian are seemingly that fussed when I've got issues I need to talk about.

Coupled with not being able to see my sons regularly for obvious reasons and a tough time at work, I ended up on anti depressants middle of last year.

I made the decision back in November to quit mechanics and I did that end of November, went off to work for Deliveroo, Uber eats and Just Eats and tbh that's helped me a lot mentally.
Being on my own out in the car with the radio has been surprisingly uplifting, especially at weekends and evenings with the football on but I've also listened to shows I wouldn't normally bother with and that's been quite interesting.

The upside of my dad passing away has meant I've gotten back in regular contact with my half sister on that side and we talk daily, usually swapping memes etc and when I've got my daughter with me she likes texting people on my phone so she now speaks to her Auntie a lot more amusingly.

The upside of lockdown has been more contact with my half sister (and her husband) on my mums side.
She's a self employed hair dresser and as a result had no work, so I encouraged her to come work for Uber etc, so I now also chat to her daily, usually face to face when we are out working.

Better and more regular contact with my sisters has helped my mental health if I'm honest but I'm also thankful that nothing changed in regards to seeing my 5yr old daughter because that would've been very hard.
I actually get to see more of her since I changed jobs so that's been great.

My boys are 16 and 18, so seeing them wasn't a 'necessity', especially as they've got vulnerable people in their bubble but it's still been tough not being able to go out for food, cinema or football with them.

I'm slowly come off the antidepressants, they gave me the boost I needed to get myself together and make some positive changes.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 pm
Il start by saying this lockdown has hit me a hell of a lot harder than the previous two.

My motivation for anything is almost none existent right now. Probably why I am on this messageboard all the time now, just so I can get a bit of social interaction.

Thank the lord Burnley have had three cracking results really brings you out of a rut, even if it is just for a few hours.
Ditto, think it’s the crap weather plus not drinking alcohol, dieting and no gym.

Just keep telling myself I’ll be much better for it in the long run. Fed up of sitting in my study working from home on my own every day, feels like Groundhog Day.

RedRoseWardrobe
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by RedRoseWardrobe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 am

have diagnosis of hfasd & cPTSD & treatment resistant depression..HFASD ...high functioning autistic spectrum disorder... means I'm not neurotypical, I get stuff wrong in communication. Probably getting this wrong now and Might delete later. Probably over 10% of people have high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. The high functioning just means your IQ is 'normal' or above but more people with higher intelligence are likely to have some autistic traits. Being male makes it more likely too. Mental health services, SSRI meds didn't help either. Bland well intentioned assertions to talk and share can be really difficult. From my perspective way too much of the media effort on mental health is completely lacking in perspective. I think government motivation on this is suspect too. It's good we are being more open but we have a far longer road to go. Honestly we live in a society & economy that forces people into stress from a ridiculous early age. A society that doesn't care enough about welfare to feed children or house everyone doesn't care ....& then profess we care.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:16 am

The start of the winter and the short days always get me down. We are now nearly two thirds of the way through the winter months and they days are noticeably longer - this cheers me up.
These 2 users liked this post: Aclaret tiger76

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:17 am

My 5yr old daughter is a high functioning aspie Red and I suspect I need to make some phone calls and make arrangements to be checked myself.
My sister is also in the process of getting checked.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 am

My advice from someone who as never suffered from mental health is to keep active, keep fit, eat healthy, keep a healthy weight, sleep well and be as positive as you can about everything. That might sound easy coming from me but i run or go to the gym 6 times a week and i feel amazing most of the time.

My other advice to people who come on this messasgeboard too often is to come off it for a while. Its not the place for you. its full of negativity and bickering which is not good for you. Go for a long walk instead or phone your family or friends. people with negative thoughts can easy bring you down to their level and before you know it could start effecting your MH.

RedRoseWardrobe
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by RedRoseWardrobe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:45 am

Godisadeejay...there is a briiliant therapist up at Stoodley Grange in Tod. I think of a chess board of aspie traits... Everyone has a few some have quite a few and others almost the whole board. For me if the therapist approached me as neurotypical they very often did more harm than good. I appreciate others cn be helped with ssris or cbt but not me. I'm really concerned for the 'cause' of non neurotypicals. I'm also deeply concerned because a society that professes to care about mental health whilst engaging in practices that knowingly cause so much harm. I''m also agitated by people who previously cared little for mental health using it to oppose the lockdowns.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Never mind Stoodley Grange. Get yourself up Stoodley Pike if you are feeling a bit suicidal, it will do your mental health a world of good

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 pm

A horrible winter, but take heart in the fact that nature is preparing for spring. Frogs are gathering today for their amazing mating behaviour. Spring is nearly here.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:35 pm
A horrible winter, but take heart in the fact that nature is preparing for spring. Frogs are gathering today for their amazing mating behaviour. Spring is nearly here.
:D Some much needed positivity on this thred.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:37 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:52 pm
:D Some much needed positivity on this thred.
I love the outdoor life, Tim. It's uplifting.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:55 pm

I've got to agree that spending too much time on a forum isn't good for you. Point your web browser in another direction or read a book. Also, get out in the fresh air, even if it's only for an hour or so - you'll feel better for it. Oh, and when you get home, don't log-on and spend the rest of the day on a forum or social media.

Too much news is the same. I also don't do any Twitter or FaceAche apart from maybe once a day for work related stuff and this only takes a couple of minutes.

sox8595
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by sox8595 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:31 pm

I spotted my first snowdrops whilst out today, a little thing but the realisation that spring is fast approaching made my day.
Its been a long hard year

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm

Just bumping this to the front page in case anyone wants to read or contribute.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:21 pm

sox8595 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:31 pm
I spotted my first snowdrops whilst out today, a little thing but the realisation that spring is fast approaching made my day.
A daily walk round our usual route and spotting little things like the Snowdrops is a great incentive to do a bit more each day sox 👍.

Plus watching our morning visitors to the birdtable while enjoying a coffee 🙂

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:45 pm

sox8595 wrote:
I thought just the same yesterday in the local park, daffs are on their way, roll on spring/summer.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:50 pm

I’ve not had chance to read through this thread as yet but will do.

I’ve had problems for a number of years now which all started with a major issue now over twenty years ago. I manage most of the time but also have my struggles which have increased over the last ten months.

Starting this thread is a great idea and I hope everyone treats it with respect. If it helps just one person then it’s been hugely worthwhile.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 pm

sox8595 wrote:
not flowers, but a bluebottle flew in the kitchen window. either a sign of better weather, or our house is filthy.
either way, it reminded me of warmer days. and the light looked a bit springlike for a few minutes too.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Very important thread which people may need, keep bumping to the top, summer and better times are not too far away. Keep talking clarets.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:21 pm
A daily walk round our usual route and spotting little things like the Snowdrops is a great incentive to do a bit more each day sox 👍.

Plus watching our morning visitors to the birdtable while enjoying a coffee 🙂
Great thread.

I meet a lot of people in my job, from all walks of life, and everybody is finding it tough. I know I am. There isn’t anyone that won’t be affected in some way.

I regularly go into hospitals and trauma centres, and the Doctors and Nurses look utterly broken. There will be a lot of NHS staff with PTSD as a result of this crisis, and they really must be supported.

Best wishes to everyone and hopefully when Spring arrives, we may turn a bit of a corner.

If you’re struggling, remember you are not alone, and help is there. Even if it is just a copper that can put the kettle on.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Saw a wasp today.

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Saw a wasp today.
Not sure how you feel about that bill, I have a big allergic reaction to their sting so can't say I'm glad to see them back....love bees though 😁

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 pm

I find myself very up and down, fancied a beer this week but not touching the stuff until I’m feeling back right as I never seem to be able to do things in moderation when I’m struggling.

Thursday morning I knew as soon as I woke up I was going to struggle all day, I work from home and decided to stop working at lunch, have an hours kip and go for a walk.

My Mrs is brilliant, she knows when I’m having an off few days. I’ve always been the type that has very ‘up’ days which is usually followed by a down. I’m so much better at dealing with it these days, obviously still doesn’t help me prevent it though.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Really pleased to see this thread appear. It’s been a rough twelve months and it’s good to have it here for all of us should we need it.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 pm
I find myself very up and down, fancied a beer this week but not touching the stuff until I’m feeling back right as I never seem to be able to do things in moderation when I’m struggling.

Thursday morning I knew as soon as I woke up I was going to struggle all day, I work from home and decided to stop working at lunch, have an hours kip and go for a walk.

My Mrs is brilliant, she knows when I’m having an off few days. I’ve always been the type that has very ‘up’ days which is usually followed by a down. I’m so much better at dealing with it these days, obviously still doesn’t help me prevent it though.
Been there myself in the last few weeks, it tough on the whole family... still a bit wobbly tbh. It doesn’t take much for me to think ‘kit when things start going wrong, but I’m getting better and slowly catching up now. Keep at it.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:18 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:12 pm
Been there myself in the last few weeks, it tough on the whole family... still a bit wobbly tbh. It doesn’t take much for me to think ‘kit when things start going wrong, but I’m getting better and slowly catching up now. Keep at it.
Yeah, I get mad at myself and feel selfish which makes it worse, I literally can’t focus on anything though and the slightest thing makes me snap. Walking, running & cooking seem to help
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:02 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:06 pm
Not sure how you feel about that bill, I have a big allergic reaction to their sting so can't say I'm glad to see them back....love bees though 😁
Absolutely the same here.
Just took it as a sign of Spring being not so far away.
Also lots of frogs in ponds today (full moon)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 pm

Normally I am really positive, happy and love life, however a few weeks ago things got to me after months of unrelenting pressure so I decided to make changes or sink, so far so good, now self employed choosing when and what I do, decades of savings have helped, as we say in Lancashird they don't put pockets in shrouds. Hope all Clarets stay happy.
These 2 users liked this post: ten bellies tim_noone

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Saw a wasp today.
A wasp !!! that's actually quite depressing boatshed bill.