Mental Health Thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Re: Mental Health Thread

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 pm
A wasp !!! that's actually quite depressing boatshed bill.
No, it's brilliant. It was on my windscreen ;)

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 pm

Just wanted to check in to show empathy.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Covclaret
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Covclaret » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 am

I read this thread last night whilst walking the dogs around 10.30. Me and Mrs Cov decided to train last year to be telephone crisis supporters for a suicide prevention service. We do our 4hour shifts on Friday nights and part of my self care is walk the dogs when I get home. Mrs Cov had a tough shift, 6 imminent suicide calls in her shift, every one of them from different backgrounds with different stories but all of them reached out to talk to someone. Most of the calls I took were from people who are lonely, depressed and just wanted to talk to someone. Mrs Cov is sure her first call last night, a young girl only 21, who was stood in her bathroom with razor blade in hand wouldn’t be here this morning without that phone call. If anyone is struggling, use a crisis line, they are their to listen without judgement to anyone about anything, any crisis not just suicide.
These 6 users liked this post: Suratclaret jrgbfc huw.Y.WattfromWare ClaretTony DAVETHEVICAR bfcjg

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 am

Covclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 am
I read this thread last night whilst walking the dogs around 10.30. Me and Mrs Cov decided to train last year to be telephone crisis supporters for a suicide prevention service. We do our 4hour shifts on Friday nights and part of my self care is walk the dogs when I get home. Mrs Cov had a tough shift, 6 imminent suicide calls in her shift, every one of them from different backgrounds with different stories but all of them reached out to talk to someone. Most of the calls I took were from people who are lonely, depressed and just wanted to talk to someone. Mrs Cov is sure her first call last night, a young girl only 21, who was stood in her bathroom with razor blade in hand wouldn’t be here this morning without that phone call. If anyone is struggling, use a crisis line, they are their to listen without judgement to anyone about anything, any crisis not just suicide.
Have to say that without people like you and your wife, I probably wouldn't be here. It's a long time ago but I will never forget the lady who spent many hours talking to me...I never knew who she was but I will never forget her.

Talk...talk...talk. It's the best way

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 994 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:36 am

Covclaret wrote:
Amazing work, many thanks for what you do.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Could be worth posting those phone numbers on here if possible, and the names of those organisations. One fewer hurdle to clear for anyone reading this thread who might need it, saving them the trouble of having to find out who to call.

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by leelad » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Have been self isolating since last Saturday as my wife tested positive for Covid, (thankfully she's ok, just a mild case it seems) thought I would find it tough but a combination of home schooling my daughter this week (I was so tired last night 😉), a regular weekday morning workout first thing (no more than 20 mins) and decluttering/sorting out the attic has helped a lot. And there's the football. I know there's no crowds and it's not the same, but I enjoy watching the games during these strange times and especially with Burnley's results over this last week. Taking each day as it comes and celebrating the small wins is my way of coping.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Bumping this in response to folk calling the transfer window as "depressing".

A bit of perspective required and reminder of what depression actually means and how serious it can be.
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro tiger76

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:15 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:24 pm
Bumping this in response to folk calling the transfer window as "depressing".

A bit of perspective required and reminder of what depression actually means and how serious it can be.
Great, just at the time when people need some sort of a positivity boost you bring this up as a timely reminder things could be far worse, cheers just the tonic we all need.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 pm

Covclaret wrote:
That’s brilliant. Wonderful that you are both prepared to give your time to help those who are struggling. Be very proud of yourselves.

Talking to someone is so important. I’ve had a difficult day today but attended a Supporters Groups meeting tonight on Zoom. Spending a couple of hours with people has made all the difference. I might even get a better night’s sleep.
These 2 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR tiger76

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:29 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 pm
Normally I am really positive, happy and love life, however a few weeks ago things got to me after months of unrelenting pressure so I decided to make changes or sink, so far so good, now self employed choosing when and what I do, decades of savings have helped, as we say in Lancashird they don't put pockets in shrouds. Hope all Clarets stay happy.

Working for yourself is the best way to make life enjoyable. I have never got the working for someone else way.

Obviously not all jobs can be done that way, but if you are doing a job where you don't need others the best way is on your own.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Thought I'd bump this after tonight.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 pm

Disappointing and frustrating as tonight was, it's only a football game at the end of the day, and there is far more important things to worry about in life.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:19 pm
Disappointing and frustrating as tonight was, it's only a football game at the end of the day, and there is far more important things to worry about in life.
Yes I dont get the excitement With football..Let's all walk about worrying.
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:23 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 am
My advice from someone who as never suffered from mental health is to keep active, keep fit, eat healthy, keep a healthy weight, sleep well and be as positive as you can about everything. That might sound easy coming from me but i run or go to the gym 6 times a week and i feel amazing most of the time.

My other advice to people who come on this messasgeboard too often is to come off it for a while. Its not the place for you. its full of negativity and bickering which is not good for you. Go for a long walk instead or phone your family or friends. people with negative thoughts can easy bring you down to their level and before you know it could start effecting your MH.
All I will say , and it’s not going to happen to you.
We all think we are strong and it will never happen to us. I certainly never felt It as coming my way.

Then I was in Paisley Hospital with blood pressure of 190/130 . Your brain will not function as it did. And trying to drive to work means you suffer massive panic attacks.

I was lucky, two old timers who took pity on me literally did my job for a year whilst I recovered.