Lock down hobbies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Lock down hobbies

Post by Inchy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 am

Hello, obviously don’t want this thread to be pulled so let’s not talk about the rights and wrongs of lock down

I was wondering if anyone has taken up a new hobby during lockdown to relieve the boredom. Also wondering what people are doing to remain sane?

I run a fair bit but that isn’t a new hobby. Annoying I’m currently unable to go for it when running due to recurring shin splints so mainly taking it easy. I also use zwift to cycle a couple of times a week but I find it quite boring.

Also when not at work I try to cook nice meals.

God I’m really bored

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Re: Lock down hobbies

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 am

Try to walk everyday for an hour or so,getting harder and harder to motivate myself though. ....lockdown shouldn't defeat us.....but im starting to find it tough!😕

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:36 am

Bit boring here. Weather permitting we're landscaping the garden bit by bit. Netflix, Now TV and catch up on all the new series on TV (The Bay, etc),
The wife bought a treadmill which she uses an hour a day.
I dabble on a free football game called Pro 11 Football Manager. Not as good as others I am sure but it kills the boredom.
The wife keeps finding projects. Found myself putting up shelves in the bedroom the other weekend and we've built a bay window seat and a radiator cover.
Roll on Spring so we can get out in the garden again. Speaking of which. if anyone knows of a good online store for Peony Rose and Ornamental Poppy supports. We'd be delighted.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 am

I try to walk every day. Did an 8 miler yesterday down the River Dee here in Chester but found myself berating dog owners for not clearing up after their dogs. The amount of dog crap on the pavements is disgusting.
Also getting roped into DIY. Changed out shower heads recently, put up a new house sign, installed motion detector lighting in garage and front porch but looking forward to the spring so that I can get out into the garden.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 am

Have been able to spend more time brewing beer! Friends an neighbours have been happy to promote this interest! ;) They supply the kit and the bottles, I play around with the hops, brew and then keep half a dozen bottles for myself. Happy Days! Made some great stuff that I would probably have never got around to doing were it not for the Pandemic.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 am

I tried learning a bit of Spanish during the first lockdown but didn't have the willpower to stick with it. Just getting out for walks really now, hoping golf courses can reopen in March at some point which would be a big help.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:14 am

To keep myself sane - I quit my job in the garage and I've gone off to work for Uber Eats, Just Eats and Deliveroo.

Being able to pick and choose when I work has been great for me tbh, especially with the cinema closed.

My normal hobbies, cinema aside, are still the same.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:15 am

The first lockdown was pretty good.. nice weather, lots of jobs to do in the garden, long walks in the Spring sunshine. This one is rubbish.

I've started playing chess, on the back of that Netflix show. Not much good yet but getting better. I'll bin it off the second lockdown ends or the clocks go forward.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:17 am

East Anglian, what sort of stuff have you been brewing? I should have been doing that, but haven't really had the motivation. Where do you get the stuff from, online?

Inchy, I watched a programme with Alex Scott about mental health. Apparently, listening to a podcast or similar whilst exercising eg bike inside is proven to be better for you, mentally and physically, which I found interesting.

I need to get some motivation from somewhere: am midway through going for a refereeing promotion, and need my fitness levels to stay decent...Lockdown 3 has been the hardest one by far, for me, especially with yesterday's news that we're stuck like this for another 6 weeks, minimum. Still, might be back to normal on my birthday, March 8th?!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:17 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:14 am
To keep myself sane - I quit my job in the garage and I've gone off to work for Uber Eats, Just Eats and Deliveroo.

Being able to pick and choose when I work has been great for me tbh, especially with the cinema closed.

My normal hobbies, cinema aside, are still the same.
When can we expect "Adventures of a deliveroo driver" to be released then GIADJ 😏😏😏

"The adventures of" a "Plumbers mate" "driving instructor" etc etc all on Amazon prime 🤭🤭🤭
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 am

I converted all my old video tapes into digital on my computer.

Tackling the garden which is big and overgrown in places.

Bought a guitar but it’s untouched at the moment.

Started planning holidays/short breaks. Won’t book anything yet but planning something or finding out about places is therapeutic.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 am

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:18 am
Started planning holidays/short breaks. Won’t book anything yet but planning something or finding out about places is therapeutic.
Snap

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:24 am

Trying to get out and walk as much as possible. Luckily I can do an easy 8-9km with the path near my house. I also recently donated plasma for the Covid-19 efforts as I tested positive over Christmas. Funnily enough being there for an hour and a half felt like a social event and hopefully if I have enough antibodies I'll get to go back! It's something to do away from all the studying/placements I'm doing.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2973 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:53 am

I was self isolating as a result of my parents having been tested positive, but am now
isolating as I've tested positive !!!!!

So, for the time being, outdoor activity has been curtailed and I therefore returned to my
childhood and started ordering and doing Meccano and Lego kit cars. Have to say it really
takes me back and it is very therapeutic and rewarding.

Can't recommend them highly enough if you're that way inclined.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:19 am

Took up guitar in May. Love music but have never played any instrument but have found this a fantastically rewarding way of passing the time. Have developed into a semi-proficient "campfire strummer" using video lessons on You Tube.
Interestingly picking up the guitar and practising repeatedly making chord shapes is a good way of helping with the stress level when watching us defend a narrow lead. Brings a whole new double-meaning to the term "fretting" !

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 am

In April I quickly put together a Raspberry Pi retro gaming machine. Played it a bit, then shoved it in a cupboard when the summer rolled around and near normality resumed. After Christmas it came out again and now I've decided to go the whole hog and build it into an arcade cabinet. I won't really have room for it at home (I would, but I won't be able to sell it to the wife) so its going to have to live at work unfortunately.

eastanglianclaret
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by eastanglianclaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:24 am

WTBM.....one of my neighbours is gluten intolerant so I've made several GF brews. Festival IPA, Mangrove Jacks GF IPA and Ritchies GF. The Festival allows you to make 2 x 20 pints if you wish so I've been playing around with primarily Cascade, Citra and Galaxy hops. at 10g each of the last two in 20 pints dry hopped I got something very similar to Adnams Ghost Ship! Very popular in these parts. Have blended standard malt worts in the same way. Made some cracking alcoholic Ginger Beers using Morgans as a base but adding real ginger and in one case honey, chillis, nutmeg and lime leaves, I use brown sugar for Ginger beer, not dextrose. I find Coopers Euro Lager is a good base and has benefitted from the addition of Saaz hops but is very nice unhopped. I always use beer enhancer with this one though, not sugar, it tastes so much more authentic. Mangrove Jacks Lime & Elderflower cider is a particular favourite of Mrs EAC, I've got some cooking at the moment to which I will add grated lime zest when fermentation is almost finished. I also always use mineral water, the tap water is foul down here. Recently I have used Brew2Bottle for my supplies (other suppliers are available!), good range, good prices. I've had a few adventures with them but what I need is generally in stock. UTC EAC

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:57 am

Walking
Wildlife photography
Jigsaws
Also built a couple of balsa wood model airplanes

With regards the walking I do t think I had really appreciated prior to lockdowns just how many wonderful walks we have in our area. Some stunning secenery, wildlife and buildings

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

I have taken up Lino printing again, after a break of fifty years. I was awarded first prize at Slough Arts Festival for one of my impressionist prints ! ⚽️😀👍

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:08 pm

I’ve been fortunate enough to get out the house for work. I do feel for people like my dad and CT that are locked up at home the vast majority of the time. Must be crap.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 pm

I’m working more hours during lockdown than before. Make hay while the sun shines I suppose. Nowt else to do.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Working from home plus a baby to look after so no time for me. What i wil say is though it is easier to isolate and stay safer. In my spare time i have been playing Football manager 2020. About to with my 2nd promotion to the PL with Plymouth so enjoying that.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm

Spend hours on Googlemaps looking for parking spaces in Barley.
This user liked this post: TheOriginalLongsider

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:42 pm

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm
I have taken up Lino printing again, after a break of fifty years. I was awarded first prize at Slough Arts Festival for one of my impressionist prints ! ⚽️😀👍
Heres a picture of a Lino could you print it for me
linesman-in-action-APRY7R~2.jpg
linesman-in-action-APRY7R~2.jpg (165.89 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
These 3 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Volvoclaret SouthLondonexile

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:04 pm

I decided to try and learn how to draw. I’ve always been absolutely garbage, my handwriting is awful and my creativity is minimal. First efforts were absolutely terrible but have improved over the year.

Irrespective of whether I’ll ever be any good, I really enjoy the mindfulness benefit of switching off and doing something creative.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:59 pm

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm
Can you post some of your Lino images please?

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:34 am

eastanglianclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:24 am
WTBM.....one of my neighbours is gluten intolerant so I've made several GF brews. Festival IPA, Mangrove Jacks GF IPA and Ritchies GF. The Festival allows you to make 2 x 20 pints if you wish so I've been playing around with primarily Cascade, Citra and Galaxy hops. at 10g each of the last two in 20 pints dry hopped I got something very similar to Adnams Ghost Ship! Very popular in these parts. Have blended standard malt worts in the same way. Made some cracking alcoholic Ginger Beers using Morgans as a base but adding real ginger and in one case honey, chillis, nutmeg and lime leaves, I use brown sugar for Ginger beer, not dextrose. I find Coopers Euro Lager is a good base and has benefitted from the addition of Saaz hops but is very nice unhopped. I always use beer enhancer with this one though, not sugar, it tastes so much more authentic. Mangrove Jacks Lime & Elderflower cider is a particular favourite of Mrs EAC, I've got some cooking at the moment to which I will add grated lime zest when fermentation is almost finished. I also always use mineral water, the tap water is foul down here. Recently I have used Brew2Bottle for my supplies (other suppliers are available!), good range, good prices. I've had a few adventures with them but what I need is generally in stock. UTC EAC
Good to know, thanks! I've done a couple of batches of Tiny Rebel's "Cwtch" before. May buy a box of that to do again soon...

strayclaret
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:20 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1667 times
v
First there was Turf Moor, Now this, already been on it 30 hours
Don’t try it at home :D