Revolution

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Revolution

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Many expected that with the new board.

And while I for one also feel it was time for a change. If only for the relationship with the management as much as anything, it was clear that it was never going to be an immediate revolution. Especially when joining at the window.

I do have high hopes. And the signs are good. Communication is far better.

But this window also shows that some of the criticism aimed at the previous board was unfair at best.

The board need to back the manager. But both he and his recruitment team also need to take some accountability for our lack of business.

Resigning four players is positive. But not if it’s at the expense of bringing down the age of the squad.

We needed bodies this month not only for now. But also because we’ve needed them for some time and need them to bed in ahead of next season.

Summer is always the big window. But both board and manager will be judged them assuming the lack of activity this month doesn’t cost us.

pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Re: Revolution

Post by pureclaret » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:33 pm

but we have signed an 18 year old so thats got to bring the age down

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm

Lots of pressure on ALK to deliver this summer now. Could well be the difference between Dyche deciding to stay on or walk away.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 pm
Many expected that with the new board.

And while I for one also feel it was time for a change. If only for the relationship with the management as much as anything, it was clear that it was never going to be an immediate revolution. Especially when joining at the window.

I do have high hopes. And the signs are good. Communication is far better.

But this window also shows that some of the criticism aimed at the previous board was unfair at best.

The board need to back the manager. But both he and his recruitment team also need to take some accountability for our lack of business.

Resigning four players is positive. But not if it’s at the expense of bringing down the age of the squad.

We needed bodies this month not only for now. But also because we’ve needed them for some time and need them to bed in ahead of next season.

Summer is always the big window. But both board and manager will be judged them assuming the lack of activity this month doesn’t cost us.
It’s a huge risk - one injury could be the end of our PL status. Where that would leave us, with the funding of the debt, God only knows.
These 4 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 cricketfieldclarets Vegas Claret Dark Cloud

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:45 pm

Our first 11 won’t get relegated.

However, as I said t’other day on another thread, never forget Dean Marney. One injury can screw you if it’s the right player and you have no true backup of any quality. It’s all ifs and buts and let’s hope we get through injury free because if Tarkowski and/or Mee get injured we are absolutely knackered - you only need to look to the start of the season for that.

So often these things tend to happen straight after the window shuts to rub your nose in it as well. Let us pray not.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Dark Cloud

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:46 pm

we are well and truly screwed if dyche leaves

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm more inclined to think of a biblical phrase Revelation as opposed to Revolution tbh. 8-)
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 am

If Tarky stubs a toe, or McNeil breaks his leg - or worse, Tarky stubs his toe breaking McNeil’s leg in training...

We’re doomed
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Leisure

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:54 am

I'd disagree with the communication piece CFC. Personally, the chairman being on twitter, and doing interviews that say very little, doesn't change the communication barometer for me. I haven't yet identified one single tangible way in which they expect to move the club forwards. Lots of soft, fluffy talk around connectivity and a great story to tell (there have been plenty of those in the prem before though), but nothing tangible on how that is going to be used to drive the club forwards.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:21 am

Early days yet, we ensure survival and the picture should become a little more clear.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am

Well, the honeymoon period is well and truly over. The new chairman has had a month's grace where he's promised a lot but ultimately delivered very little. His comms are going to be met with much more cynicism going forwards.

Very odd (and counterproductive) that after all the positive noise after the takeover that they didn't get a single notable deal over the line.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm sorry, but criticism of the old board was completely justified. The criticsim wasn't a direct result one 1 transfer window, it was a result of multiple windows of abject failure. For me when Alan Pace took over, he had a clean slate so i will give him the benefit of the doubt on this window, but another window like this window in the summer and the same criticism will be levelled his way. Otherwise I agree with the rest.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am

DCWat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 pm
It’s a huge risk - one injury could be the end of our PL status. Where that would leave us, with the funding of the debt, God only knows.
How many players do you sign to cover that senerio? We buy two defenders, but a centre forward gets injured, and vice versa

It's well publicised how we rely on tarks and mee... Which centre back, good enough to step in, would sign, knowing they are probably not going to play?
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 am

All the hype around an injury to your best player is the same for BFC as it is for the likes of Liverpool and the very top clubs. Liverpool have performed at a much poorer level without their best player this season.

Everybody just needs to calm down and let the new chapter play out. We have performed consistently for around 8 years at a level that is higher than expected for a club of our size and what we all expected. We are still doing this by beating the Champions and the resurgent biggest club in the midlands in just the last week.

There is absolutely no need to panic given the difficulty in improving our best 11 this (or any) window. Who is available that would improve our best 11 this window without changing our wage structure and possibly impacting the team spirit (our biggest strength). To improve the wide areas would cost north of 20 million at the very least, probably more, given we have 2 full internationals and a young player worth north of 20 million already. Nobody will want to part with players of that type in January.

When the likes of Liverpool are panic buying from Preston it is obvious why it is difficult for us at the moment given the pandemic etc. One thing for sure is that Dyche has steadily built the ship and has never rocked it by any panicked approach.

It is obvious that Tarks will be likely off in the summer when we absolutely need to replace him. I’m sure that this will get done along with a wide player that is needed. We need to give the new owners time to sort out their strategy rather than expecting a panicked approach a month after they have walked in. I would be more worried if we had done a West Brom and BFS approach of getting a few in as it is not the way that Dyche works...which is why he is head and shoulders a better manager than BFS and why we will probably end up mid table again....even with all the bed wetting on here every transfer window and during every bad run.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:59 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:54 am
I'd disagree with the communication piece CFC. Personally, the chairman being on twitter, and doing interviews that say very little, doesn't change the communication barometer for me. I haven't yet identified one single tangible way in which they expect to move the club forwards. Lots of soft, fluffy talk around connectivity and a great story to tell (there have been plenty of those in the prem before though), but nothing tangible on how that is going to be used to drive the club forwards.
They’ve been here a month. Let’s have a bit of realism.

Am I happy that we didn’t bring anyone in? Of course not, but then I wasn’t expecting a new board to jet in and get a grip straight away of the murky underworld of Premier League transfer business. It will have been an eye opener for them, I’m sure.

Summer is the time to judge, on a lot of things.

The situation we had with the old board was untenable. A takeover was needed, and it’s only fair to give this current board a little bit of patience and understanding.

Actions do speak louder than words, but let’s give them that time to act, eh?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:02 am

Grumps wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am
How many players do you sign to cover that senerio? We buy two defenders, but a centre forward gets injured, and vice versa

It's well publicised how we rely on tarks and mee... Which centre back, good enough to step in, would sign, knowing they are probably not going to play?
It’s also well documented that Tarkowski is likely to leave. The ‘sell’, to whoever comes in, would surely have been very similar to when we brought Tarkowski in himself.

We’ve tended to bed players in, rather than throw them straight in. A signing now would have been the perfect opportunity to do that and provide some decent cover, should the need arise.

My view is that we are again taking unnecessary risks.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12357 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 am

DCWat wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:02 am
It’s also well documented that Tarkowski is likely to leave. The ‘sell’, to whoever comes in, would surely have been very similar to when we brought Tarkowski in himself.

We’ve tended to bed players in, rather than throw them straight in. A signing now would have been the perfect opportunity to do that and provide some decent cover, should the need arise.

My view is that we are again taking unnecessary risks.
Life is full of risks, it's how you manage them that matters.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 am

Leisure wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 am
Life is full of risks, it's how you manage them that matters.
It is, Leisure. Im not sure we are managing this one, simply taking a gamble on no injuries.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12357 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 am

DCWat wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 am
It is, Leisure. Im not sure we are managing this one, simply taking a gamble on no injuries.
Time will tell and as we don't know the full details of the deal, we have no option but to take their word for it.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:24 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:59 am
They’ve been here a month. Let’s have a bit of realism.

Am I happy that we didn’t bring anyone in? Of course not, but then I wasn’t expecting a new board to jet in and get a grip straight away of the murky underworld of Premier League transfer business. It will have been an eye opener for them, I’m sure.

Summer is the time to judge, on a lot of things.

The situation we had with the old board was untenable. A takeover was needed, and it’s only fair to give this current board a little bit of patience and understanding.

Actions do speak louder than words, but let’s give them that time to act, eh?
As far as I can tell, I hadn't asked for any actions. I definitely didn't ask for them to go mad in the transfer window. All I've asked for is something tangible, in the comms, around how they are going to improve the club. A build on some of the soft and fluffy stuff that has come so far, around "Improving match day experiences - how, with what etc" or a plan of how they will increase revenues to make debt payments sustainable without taking funds that pay for 2 first team regulars each year out of the existing budget.

Logic, structure, tangibles - they're how my brain work, I don't go a great deal on Feelings, stories, underdogs......

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 am

I think there tends to be a funny smell around when Mr Pace is speaking and I've noticed it before but usually around politicians.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am

I prefer that we sign know one for just the sake of signing someone in an inflated January transfer window.

West Brom have pushed the boat out with plenty of signings and a new manager,. A decision they could well regret if the get relegated, which seems highly likely

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:52 am

Refreshing to read posts with a lot more realism this morning than on one or two other threads yesterday when for many it was all doom and gloom.
Time to move on , you can only repeat the same things for so long.