MIGHTY CLARETS versus Brighton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Re: MIGHTY CLARETS versus Brighton

Post by Terrier » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Brighton forum slagging us off as usual but quite a few admitting
they got away lucky today!

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:53 pm

mill hill claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Well if you thought we were the better side in the 1st half you must have been watching the game through claret and blue tinted glasses
Call them tinted glasses if you want, but I thought we shaded the half in terms of opportunities created. They scored from a set piece which can happen, and easily could have happened at the other end.

For me it was a classic case of the goal clouding people’s judgement. If we had scored from one of our corners and gone in at ht 1-0 up with an otherwise identical performance would you have called it shocking?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:53 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:04 pm
Sorry if I'm feeling a bit smug, but our front two, even with an unfit Barnes, created more chances today than we've seen for several weeks combined.

Long may they stay first choice.

Gudders getting back to full fitness as well.
You've nothing to feel smug about, if popeye was on the field today you would have been happy such is your dislike for Wood

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:53 pm

For me it was a classic case of the goal clouding people’s judgement. If we had scored from one of our corners and gone in at ht 1-0 up with an otherwise identical performance would you have called it shocking?
Fair point

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:10 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:53 pm
You've nothing to feel smug about, if popeye was on the field today you would have been happy such is your dislike for Wood
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:12 pm

We really weren't awful first half. Admittedly Brighton played better than they did second half and we weren't quite as good as we were second half, but tbh we could easily have gone in level. Brighton actually impressed me first half, but looked so "Burnley" second half defending what they had and trying to steal the away win. But nobody does it like we do!!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Much like the Villa game, in the way we turned up second half.
I'd point out that Villa are on a good run of form, and Brighton their best form of the season. So accusing the opposition of being rubbish is a tad unfair on ourselves.

I've moaned a lot this season about the negativity when we are on the ball, and both those games show what a good team we are when we get the ball on the deck, and bodies in the box. Why, oh why, does it take us going behind before we play positively.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm

What amazed me today was our fitness levels and not lying down and settling for the point towards the end. It was obvious they were pretty knackered but kept going full pelt and played with a great energy 2nd half. After their exploits over Liverpool BHA looked ragged and it was a missed 3 points but another step towards our ultimate goal so cant be too displeased.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:20 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:13 pm
Much like the Villa game, in the way we turned up second half.
I'd point out that Villa are on a good run of form, and Brighton their best form of the season. So accusing the opposition of being rubbish is a tad unfair on ourselves.

I've moaned a lot this season about the negativity when we are on the ball, and both those games show what a good team we are when we get the ball on the deck, and bodies in the box. Why, oh why, does it take us going behind before we play positively.
I think that it's because over a period of time we would concede quite a lot more goals by taking on teams in this manner. I do agree that we should adopt this more positive approach against the 'beatable' sides in this division though as we know that we have the defence to fall back on if we take the lead.

I thought we were positive from the off today though. For me you can see our intent quite clearly by how much our full backs push forward. Lowton had a great game, but he was at it from the first whistle and had a number of positive attacks and a shot, he carried this into the second half.

mill hill claret

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Lowton played well ...he was our best player ..but to say he had a great game ...come on

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:46 pm

Good stats for us, they even played more long balls than us!
https://www.footballcritic.com/premier- ... ts/2147899

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:48 pm

mill hill claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 pm
Lowton played well ...he was our best player ..but to say he had a great game ...come on
Well I thought he did. One of the best games he's had for us in all his time here.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:20 pm
I think that it's because over a period of time we would concede quite a lot more goals by taking on teams in this manner. I do agree that we should adopt this more positive approach against the 'beatable' sides in this division though as we know that we have the defence to fall back on if we take the lead.

I thought we were positive from the off today though. For me you can see our intent quite clearly by how much our full backs push forward. Lowton had a great game, but he was at it from the first whistle and had a number of positive attacks and a shot, he carried this into the second half.
Don't disagree, and Pieters gets in far more attacking positions than Charlie ever does. Yet we know from his Leeds days, that overlapping, putting in crosses, and taking on shots were part of his game. It would be good to see him play more like Eric going forward. Lowton did have a great game, overlapping with JBG, played some great balls down the line, we've seen it from him so many times in seasons gone by. Imo, although the team, and success, are built on defence, we gave away fewer chances second half, attacking. We haven't had the balance right all season, or very little of it, we'd win more games playing like the 2nd half than the 1st.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 pm
Don't disagree, and Pieters gets in far more attacking positions than Charlie ever does. Yet we know from his Leeds days, that overlapping, putting in crosses, and taking on shots were part of his game. It would be good to see him play more like Eric going forward. Lowton did have a great game, overlapping with JBG, played some great balls down the line, we've seen it from him so many times in seasons gone by. Imo, although the team, and success, are built on defence, we gave away fewer chances second half, attacking. We haven't had the balance right all season, or very little of it, we'd win more games playing like the 2nd half than the 1st.
Agree with that. We'd probably lose more too, but it's a lot easier to take a defeat when we play in a positive manner than play for the 0-0 and lose.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:33 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:48 pm
Well I thought he did. One of the best games he's had for us in all his time here.
If he has had a better game than today then I must have missed it.

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm

mill hill claret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 pm
you don't think he had a great game then :shock: :shock: even if he was our best player :lol: :lol:

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:56 pm
What happened to that superb Brighton team you were talking about? ;)
I said Brighton had a good defense, good midfield and some exciting forwards, and I stand by that. I also said I could see them move up the table, and I stand by that too. When Lampety gets back they will be even stronger. I also said that their position did not reflect their ability. They wont lose that many games. The neutrals are saying a draw was a fair result. I feel we very much edged it through our second half performance. I dont remember using the word superb though, which you seem to have slipped in. I find it a bit said that you had to raise it. Remember we did not beat them

Be interesting to see who finishes higher up the League

mill hill claret

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm

gsyclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm
you don't think he had a great game then :shock: :shock: even if he was our best player :lol: :lol:
He had a good game ..but he wasnt great ..
Last edited by mill hill claret on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Les Lawrence wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:48 pm
Lowton is finished,he looks unfit.Weak link every game,
One slice of humble pie please

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:39 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Cork and lowton absolute shite. McNeil invisibility cloak is impressive
Another silly statement here.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:19 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:30 pm
I think they did but possibly weren’t concentrating on the last touch, just the fact he had come back on from behind the goal line.

You can only be offside from a forward pass by a team mate.
I asked the question earlier in the thread when it happened.
Vydra came back on, but there was a Brighton player stood on the line at the time, so why would he be classed as offside anyway.
I thought it should have stood, but even if I'm wrong it was worthy of a review and discussion. Even the pundits seemed to ignore it.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:19 pm
I asked the question earlier in the thread when it happened.
Vydra came back on, but there was a Brighton player stood on the line at the time, so why would he be classed as offside anyway.
I thought it should have stood, but even if I'm wrong it was worthy of a review and discussion. Even the pundits seemed to ignore it.
The player on the goal line is active in terms of offside and Vydra would be deemed as level because both players would be deemed as level on the goal line.

However, the defender on the goal line was 1 player, there needs to be 2 players between Vydra and the goal line and there was only 1.

However mk2... I was certain the ball back to Vydra was off the defender meaning he couldn’t be offside anyway...

I was disappointed that MOTD didn’t even show it and discuss, I fear (and here’s the paranoia) it’s because if they analysed it then it would show us have having a valid goal disallowed... ;)
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret