North Stand Chat

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Re: North Stand Chat

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 am

the club is well run, decent manager and some talented players. That said, their fans are remarkably senseless. A collective of anal gas and little more. Simpletons personified.
This user liked this post: bodge

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:44 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:36 pm
:lol: :lol: serves em right for smashing the turf pub up on their Last Visit ...Fcuk Em!!
A fivers' worth of damage, wasn't it?

:D

Old school Brighton
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Old school Brighton » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:52 am

Alright lads, Brighton fan in peace.
Just reading some of the comments here and thought I’d have my two pennath worth.
I am 60, been around a bit and have supported the club sine 1966. Please don’t take anything on Northstand chat too seriously yeah?
The vast majority of us old school boys boycotted that site a long time ago.
Me. I’m ex forces, met some decent claret lads and still have friends in your town (my in laws used to live in lothersdale not far from you)
Vast majority of us have no issue with Burnley, just the normal Johnny come latelys who come across as self entitled knobs.
Guess every team has followers like that right.
As for following other teams, some may, most don’t.
What you have to realise, is that when our beloved goldstone was sold from under us, we lost a whole generation of fans.
The fact they’re coming back, and bringing their kids and their mates with them is heartening to see.
For what it’s worth, I have one team only and have done since I was a nipper. Go back to hating the bastards, we’ll stick with hating palace. For what it’s worth, the more ‘lesser’ teams like us and you that survive in the premier league year after year just sticks two fingers up to the self entitled fat cat clubs.
Peace out fellow football fans :)
These 26 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole Quicknick Vegas Claret superdimitri Damo cricketfieldclarets Dark Cloud mybloodisclaret evensteadiereddie lesxdp bfcjg Colburn_Claret Longsider DCWat longsidepies ten bellies fatboy47 The Enclosure expoultryboy Braindead HandforthClaret Jimmymaccer tiger76 Stalbansclaret Herts Clarets ZizkovClaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:13 am

Old school Brighton wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:52 am
Just reading some of the comments here and thought I’d have my two pennath worth.
I am 60, been around a bit and have supported the club sine 1966. Please don’t take anything on Northstand chat too seriously yeah?
Me. I’m ex forces, met some decent claret lads and still have friends in your town (my in laws used to live in lothersdale not far from you)
Vast majority of us have no issue with Burnley, just the normal Johnny come latelys who come across as self entitled knobs.
What you have to realise, is that when our beloved goldstone was sold from under us, we lost a whole generation of fans.
The fact they’re coming back, and bringing their kids and their mates with them is heartening to see.
For what it’s worth, I have one team only and have done since I was a nipper. Go back to hating the bastards, we’ll stick with hating palace. For what it’s worth, the more ‘lesser’ teams like us and you that survive in the premier league year after year just sticks two fingers up to the self entitled fat cat clubs.
Good post. Do you remember Willie Irvine scoring a cracker for you at the Goldstone in your 3rd division promotion year?
I remember the following season, 1972/73. You got relegated on a slightly higher average gate than we got, and we won the division. I've never had anything against BHA. As you say, better that teams like you and us stay up.
This user liked this post: Old school Brighton

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5660 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:20 am

this guy seems to represent all the Brighton fans I've bumped into whenever we've played down there pre Premier League, never had any issues, always a good laugh. I remember going down one game (possibly midweek) and we lost 1-0 to a Kurt Nogan goal and we were all buying each other beers for a good few hours before the game, it was actually one of my best experiences at any away game, no bother and just a good crack. Shame the "newbies" haven't learned and respected their history and the tribulations Old School Brighton had to go through
This user liked this post: Quicknick

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:54 am

Depends which Brighton fan you speak too. I find the longstanding ones that were there at times of hardship are decent fans. Its those that changed from supporting the top 6 to their local team after the new stadium and premier league tenure that tend to be the worse. Probably similar with our own fanbase.

But I guess credit to them that they are supporting their local team and not one of the top 6. Just wish they would be a bit more gracious. They have always played the 'we play better football than you' card, but I'm sure they would have been a little shocked to see how well we played in the second half.

Of course its not just about your age, there are young fans who aren't like that and old fans that are.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:38 am

I've never seen that forum be so universally praising of us after a game. Most of them appear to agree that they got away with one today.
Sure there's some absolute brain dead morons, but we have some on our forum too.
(Just look at the Kevin Long threads)
This user liked this post: Quicknick

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:08 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:35 pm
Nah! they can't be a middle class Wigan, they have a pier in Brighton. :lol:
I preferred Wigan pier.

And pies.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:12 am

Fair post and like many have said seems the older ‘proper fans’ are decent.

My experience still doesn’t change from my visit a few years ago.

Was after the above mentioned ‘Barton’ game. Middle aged, angry, racist bald bloke frothing at the mouth screaming and threatening my then 8 or 9 year old nephew.

He soon calmed down though :D 8-)

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 am

I have no issue with Brighton and I agree with the Brighton fan who says the more clubs like us and Brighton populate the PL, the better and more competitive it will be. Brighton is actually a great place for excellent pubs before and after games (as is Lewes) but the only issue I really have with them is the siting of the new ground which is basically miles away in the middle of nowhere and requires a fair old train ride to and from and it shows us that we really do have to be very wary and somewhat fearful if owners or whoever start going down that route here.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:12 am
Fair post and like many have said seems the older ‘proper fans’ are decent.

My experience still doesn’t change from my visit a few years ago.

Was after the above mentioned ‘Barton’ game. Middle aged, angry, racist bald bloke frothing at the mouth screaming and threatening my then 8 or 9 year old nephew.

He soon calmed down though :D 8-)
I've been in quite a few situations at away games with your Pete and Jimmy in the past. They were really good at calming things down and enabling angry fans to see sense.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:23 am

Siddo wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 am
I've been in quite a few situations at away games with your Pete and Jimmy in the past. They were really good at calming things down and enabling angry fans to see sense.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:24 am

Siddo wrote:
They were always so calm and diplomatic.
This user liked this post: Siddo

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:28 am

Siddo wrote:
:lol: Diplomacy at it's best.
This user liked this post: Siddo

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:41 am

An excellent post.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 am

That pretty much matches up to what some of us have been saying on here for a few years.
I used to be taken to the goldstone by my dad on access visits. Saw willie irvine the first time - although we were both hoping Wrexham would win. Later on, we went in the south stand at the front. I'm in one of those pictures in the lounge corridors - thankfully very blurry. I never saw burnley play there as I only wanted to be in the away end when they did.
However, I have fond memories of Eric potts, Paul Clark - who ought to have been a burnley player had we then been any good, and remember him looking pretty distraught after his tackle broke lil fucillos leg, Peter sayer, Gary stevens and a young Mark lawrenson.

timshorts

Post by timshorts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:59 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 am
I have no issue with Brighton and I agree with the Brighton fan who says the more clubs like us and Brighton populate the PL, the better and more competitive it will be. Brighton is actually a great place for excellent pubs before and after games (as is Lewes) but the only issue I really have with them is the siting of the new ground which is basically miles away in the middle of nowhere and requires a fair old train ride to and from and it shows us that we really do have to be very wary and somewhat fearful if owners or whoever start going down that route here.
Brighton have never really had a ground in the middle of town like us. Goldstone was a train ride away too, but in another direction, withdean was an athletics ground in a suburb, and gillingham in another county. At least the current one is easy to get to for away fans with the free train rides with an away ticket, and it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere. It's right next to Sussex University and Brighton University.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:15 am

timshorts wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:59 am
Brighton have never really had a ground in the middle of town like us. Goldstone was a train ride away too, but in another direction, withdean was an athletics ground in a suburb, and gillingham in another county. At least the current one is easy to get to for away fans with the free train rides with an away ticket, and it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere. It's right next to Sussex University and Brighton University.
TBF, we took the train to Lewes after the game which was obviously the opposite direction to the vast majority of people and Lewes is excellent for a few beers before heading back to Brighton. I never went to the Withdean, but did go to the Godlstone once and you're right Tim, it was a bit of a trek.

Old school Brighton
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Old school Brighton » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:19 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 am
With reference to the location of the ground, we really didn’t have a choice.
After we got shafted by the owners in the 90s, we were travelling 80 miles to a home game...which was fun.
We put in planning applications for dozens of sites within the city itself but the council kept turning them down saying they were unsuitable while playing at withdean (where I used to have my school sports days!)
We have the sea to the south and the downs to the left which are deemed to be an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’
It took 14 years from our planning application for the current ground to get built from the time we got planning granted.
One legal battle after another (including one from Lewes council about the BAT population FFS)
Yeah, location isn’t ideal and travel from the ground after the game can be a bit shite...especially when we have lost lol.
Getting there isn’t too much of a drama as fans arrive at different times and as you’ve said, there’s decent boozers in Lewes which is one stop on the train. They have introduced pop up beer stalls outside the ground too in recent seasons which is great to mingle with fans of other clubs and discuss football in general. They ain’t open for certain games (palace is one) and never any grief although when Liverpool come down it can get quite toxic as a few of that lot can get a bit precious and self entitled.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:23 am

timshorts wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:59 am
I remember going to a game at that athletics ground - sat on wet seats in an open air “scaffolding “ stand, so far from the action that you needed binoculars to see it clearly.
I was worried that day because we were giving a debut to a raw, teenage loanee and he was playing at centre half against one of the most experienced, prolific strikers at that time.
I needn’t have worried, Gary Cahill had Steve Claridge in his pocket the whole game. 😉

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:27 am

I recall seeing Brighton fans about 2005 in Leytonstone wearing the "skint" Shirts.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:19 am
With reference to the location of the ground, we really didn’t have a choice.
After we got shafted by the owners in the 90s, we were travelling 80 miles to a home game...which was fun.
We put in planning applications for dozens of sites within the city itself but the council kept turning them down saying they were unsuitable while playing at withdean (where I used to have my school sports days!)
We have the sea to the south and the downs to the left which are deemed to be an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’
It took 14 years from our planning application for the current ground to get built from the time we got planning granted.
One legal battle after another (including one from Lewes council about the BAT population FFS)
Yeah, location isn’t ideal and travel from the ground after the game can be a bit shite...especially when we have lost lol.
Getting there isn’t too much of a drama as fans arrive at different times and as you’ve said, there’s decent boozers in Lewes which is one stop on the train. They have introduced pop up beer stalls outside the ground too in recent seasons which is great to mingle with fans of other clubs and discuss football in general. They ain’t open for certain games (palace is one) and never any grief although when Liverpool come down it can get quite toxic as a few of that lot can get a bit precious and self entitled.
I’ve always loved Brighton’s new ground, really good away day is Brighton. One of the first i look out for, hoping it’s a Saturday

Putneyclaret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by Putneyclaret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:06 am

Talking to the Fulham-supporting nurse who gave me my Covid jab yesterday, she asked who we were
playing (I was wearing my BFC mask). When I described the view most of us have about Brighton fans, she said most Fulham fans thought the same.

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 am

The lack of self awareness in their thread about this thread is hilarious. Peaks with this post...

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthre ... ost9729248

"Their reasoning is stupid hahaha, they're such idiots"
*Uses exact same reasoning in next paragraph*

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:41 am

Mattster wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 am
The lack of self awareness in their thread about this thread is hilarious.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am

I've infrequently visited that board since we got Barnes off them.

And I see that Sheebo is still a monumental melon head.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:46 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:27 am
I recall seeing Brighton fans about 2005 in Leytonstone wearing the "skint" Shirts.
Sponsored by Norman Cook's Skint record label.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:15 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:59 pm
Keano's last-second equaliser still lives rent-free in their heads.
They weren't too happy about Jeff's equaliser either. A few were quite upset on the train back into Brighton. Didn't seem to like JRod much either. A difference of opinion ensued. Me and my lad were a little outnumbered.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Always been sore losers have the Brighton lot. Only ever been once and that was back in 72, it kicked off big time post match.

I attended the game with my late father, sister and her mate. We got attacked by a knife gang at Hove stadium going down the steps to the platform. The person carrying the knife was a female and my sister turned round and planted her size 12 brogues right on her shin, she squeeled like a pig 😂😂.

timshorts

Post by timshorts » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Mattster wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:34 am
The lack of self awareness in their thread about this thread is hilarious. Peaks with this post...

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthre ... ost9729248

"Their reasoning is stupid hahaha, they're such idiots"
*Uses exact same reasoning in next paragraph*
As expected, we are still getting the crap fired at us thanks to the idiots that flew that banner, but at least there are a few posts which point out that the club and the majority of those posting on here were embarrassed/annoyed by it.

For the uninitiated, Newhaven is a small town to the East of Brighton that would not look too out of place near Darwen save that it has a boat. Personally I like it as it is the only place around here that looks like South Wales, but rather than have its town centre killed by Thatcher, it has killed its own town centre by building a ring road right around it like a shopper-proof perimeter fence. If the guy posting as "Docker" supports the Dockers too, I may know him..........

Brighton cannot be the B@stard child of Crawley, though. It's more the other way round, and more like an abortion. There is just no equivalent of Crawley in the North of England. It might once have been a decent enough small town, but if you picked up a lot of 250 house new estates and jigsawed them in right next to one another for as far as you could see in every direction, then that is what you get.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:33 am
I’ve always loved Brighton’s new ground, really good away day is Brighton. One of the first i look out for, hoping it’s a Saturday
I'd prefer to go to The Dripping Pan and stand up in some bad weather. Did you know Falmer is closer to Lewes than Brighton?

That's the price you pay for cushions and plastic I guess, a weekend commute to watch your own football team.
Better than going to Priestfield I guess.

Each to their own but I find the Amex to be a soulless bowl, a bit like the Emirates.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:16 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:23 am
I remember going to a game at that athletics ground - sat on wet seats in an open air “scaffolding “ stand, so far from the action that you needed binoculars to see it clearly.
I was worried that day because we were giving a debut to a raw, teenage loanee and he was playing at centre half against one of the most experienced, prolific strikers at that time.
I needn’t have worried, Gary Cahill had Steve Claridge in his pocket the whole game. 😉
We were at least in the corner that year. The following season we were directly behind the goal at the other end. We were a long way from the pitch, hardly any elevation and there was fog. Basically you couldn’t see anything.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:27 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm
I'd prefer to go to The Dripping Pan and stand up in some bad weather. Did you know Falmer is closer to Lewes than Brighton?

That's the price you pay for cushions and plastic I guess, a weekend commute to watch your own football team.
Better than going to Priestfield I guess.

Each to their own but I find the Amex to be a soulless bowl, a bit like the Emirates.
Dripping pan is a great little ground.

Love it when I used to get appointed to a fixture there
This user liked this post: superdimitri