Dyche sending a message?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Re: Dyche sending a message?

Post by nyclaret » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:41 pm
Could not be hard to find as was only playing in the league below
He wasn't a standout performer in the Championship though, was he? Did he ever make the Championship team of the season? I'd say that's a pretty good find for the price.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:59 pm

Embarrassing. He should hang his head in shame. He talks about the "reality of it all being about the Premier league." Well how about this for a philosophy. ...Reality is what you make it to be. And the reality is he picked an understrength team because he didn't care about making the QFs of the FA Cup. Nuff said.
This user liked this post: snapcrackleandpop

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:01 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 pm

You only have to see how difficult it is for many promoted clubs with limited budgets to stay in the Prem.
The thing is we are not newly promoted. % years, isn't it.
Really, have we progressed in terms of quality on the pitch?
This user liked this post: houseboy

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:55 pm
Would you accept that Bielsa would have been a good option?
Hard to compare as he's got a decent budget.

If, as you suggest, there are other suitable managers out there how come no other club in the Championship seems to be able to survive in the prem for more than a season or two on limited finances?

You'd have thought the likes of Preston would be able to do what we've done if there are other capable managers.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 pm
Oh did you go to Athens?
Can’t recall ever mentioning it.

Ironically, I loathe virtue signallers normally :lol:

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 pm
Hard to compare as he's got a decent budget.

If, as you suggest, there are other suitable managers out there how come no other club in the Championship seems to be able to survive in the prem for more than a season or two on limited finances?

You'd have thought the likes of Preston would be able to do what we've done if there are other capable managers.
I accept that.
But of late SD hasn't really covered himself in glory (or even respect). He's in danger of becoming everything the nasty press accuse him of being.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 pm

"now clear off", the posting of a wild man who needs to have a look at things rationally.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:03 pm
So you'd be happy to see us drop through the leagues, and then in a few years time yearn to play in the Prem again?
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Like you and I have discussed many times, on many topics, I’ll repeat that I refuse to accept low standards just because of the fear of a downturn.

If we were 3 points adrift, I would feel differently. Tonight makes it clear that treading water is all we aspire to.

Football is a relief from boring everyday life. We need hope and joy. I said after Athens it was unforgivable. I’ve actually given Dyche a lot of leeway by clapping him for 2 years after that. Now, playing that side in the 5th round in a winnable game - that’s it, I’m done. We’re in a pandemic for heaven’s sake, many fans have lost loved ones, we needed that burst of electricity and hope to keep us going. So frustrating.

But I get it, why many do not agree. To some, the Premier League is all.
bodge wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 pm
"now clear off", the posting of a wild man who needs to have a look at things rationally.
How’s that for rational?
These 4 users liked this post: Espia claretcarrot93 tiger76 tim_noone

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 pm

Great sentiments. Crosspool Clarets. Well said. Dyche's attitude to tonights game was a disgrace. There are no excuses.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 pm

It's totally irrational, i think it's a maniacal view.

Burnley will likely have yet another season in the Premier League in 21-22, unfortunately that's the gig.

He can only go for the Cup when he's backed, there was no Wood, Brownhill, Cork, Brady and Taylor today, he has games against Palace, Fulham and West Brom coming up.

It's absolutely vital we gain points from those games.

Your bottom lip can quiver as long as it likes but getting rid of Dyche now is utter madness and what's more you will know it once you get a grip of yourself.
These 5 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat addisclaret JohnDearyMe mybloodisclaret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:53 pm

BennyD wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:01 pm
I don’t agree. I’ve not bothered about the FA cup since the late 80s and I have no reason to change my mind. Opinions differ, but I reckon I’m a lot less stressed this evening than those who wanted a cup run. In the bad old days, a good cup run was a financial necessity whereas these days, especially without a crowd, there isn’t a financial draw for clubs with thin squads. Times change, and cup runs are tailor made for lower league clubs or Prem teams with deep squads.
I respect your view but why should it be about money? I have said so many times on here that Burnley FC is NOT a bank, it is a football club and as such the emphasis should be about trying to WIN things not spending season after season simply existing in the PL. What happened tonight went against that basic principle of trying to be successful at FOOTBALL. I would happily play in the Championship if it meant we could enjoy the football and have cup runs. People are already becoming disenchanted with PL football at Burnley because that football is no longer, at the moment, entertaining. I could honestly scream when I see people on here saying ‘I’ll be happy if we finish 17th’. Whatever happened to wanting to be entertained?
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:04 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:57 pm
Dyche’s success has been built entirely around the defence and its covering midfield two, that’s why the first choices were all rested tonight (he had very little option with Pieters, but even that backfired). He was prepared to risk the two wingers, but had little option elsewhere with Wood, Brownhill, Brady, Taylor and probably Cork out injured and important games looming.

It was not the selection that was pathetic it was the unprofessional and embarrassing manner, lack of fight and missing skill that has p***ed everyone off. Especially as it was a televised game broadcast to a seriously wide audience.
I wasn’t expecting quite so many changes though I had suggested Dunne and Long to protect Tarkowski and Mee.

I too don’t really want to criticise the selection, under the circumstances (there are a few that unfortunately supersede the FA Cup) however much we would all love a good cup run.

As you say, it was the performance that was the biggest frustration. It also highlighted just how much depth we lack and just how big a jump it is for the younger players to move up into first team football.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:39 pm

BennyD wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:56 pm
Until we have enough points to put us beyond any chance of relegation then I won’t be taking anything for granted. Personally I couldn’t give a dead ratsass about the cups, they are irrelevant to us. You have your opinion and I have mine, but I think mine is closer to the club’s philosophy than yours.
Question. Why are you (and not just you) so obsessed with staying in the PL? Yes it’s nice for status and making the club money but what about the fans having to watch a continuous uphill struggle? If it is a choice (and I would hope it isn’t) which would we rather...being bored to death most of the time in the PL or getting excited at actually being entertained in the Championship with a feeling that we could actually win any game? I don’t want relegation, of course I don’t, but I think I am a little more pragmatic in my thinking as regards the PL cash cow.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:46 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:39 pm
Question. Why are you (and not just you) so obsessed with staying in the PL? Yes it’s nice for status and making the club money but what about the fans having to watch a continuous uphill struggle? If it is a choice (and I would hope it isn’t) which would we rather...being bored to death most of the time in the PL or getting excited at actually being entertained in the Championship with a feeling that we could actually win any game? I don’t want relegation, of course I don’t, but I think I am a little more pragmatic in my thinking as regards the PL cash cow.
Our wages, running costs, and new debt, mean it is pretty much imperative we have to stay in the PL.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 pm

houseboy wrote:
What result could we possibly achieve in the Championship that would come close to the recent result at Anfield, or the Emirates, or even last season away to Man U.?

All fantastic games and help us define our history, something that could never be done in the second tier.
Last edited by Spijed on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:46 pm
Our wages, running costs, and new debt, mean it is pretty much imperative we have to stay in the PL.
I’m not so sure. Running costs? What exactly are they? Wages? Don’t we have a relegation clause? As for the debt that’s been around for about a month, what’s been the excuse for the last 5 years? We would survive financially if we went down, which I hope we don’t. I think my problem is with this obsession with money that has even trickled down now to fans. The best thing for football in this country would be for the whole PL money-go-round to go tits up and start again with a good dose of reality.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:02 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 pm
What result could we possibly achieve in the Championship that would come close to the recent result at Anfield, or the Emirates, or even last season away to Man U.?

All fantastic games and help us define our history, something that could never be done in the second tier.
Oh come on bud. Yeah the win at Anfield was great but hardly a defining moment in our history. As for getting a draw away to the Gooners, if that is all you live for then okay. But what about the other 36 games, most of which are not ‘glamour’ games? I don’t want a season to be measured by getting a point or two off the so-called big six. In fact I’d be delighted if the big clubs would fck off to a European league and we never had to play them again. They could join all the other big Euro clubs and enjoy all the money they make. Something is dreadfully wrong with football and I fear it starts and ends with money.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone dsr

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 am

So the problem with football starts and ends with money?

How far back are we going then with money being the problem?
Sky?
Bosman?
Jimmy Hill and the abolition of the wage cap?
Blackburn being one of the first teams to to have professional players?

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:26 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 pm

Even with the Liverpool result, I think that in 10 years' time I will still look back on Coyle's promotion season as more memorable than this one. (Actually on May 24th I suspect I will look on Coyle's promotion season as more memorable than this one.)

Memorable matches that come close to the recent result at Anfield:

Tottenham away, and Liverpool home, 1983.
Preston away and Wolves at Wembley, 1988.
Derby away, 1992.
Derby away, 1999.
Liverpool home, 2005.
Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, 2009-10.

There's 10 memorable cup matches. Can you list 10 PL matches that were so good, that the cup matches don't come close?

Many of our best moments, the ones we talk about twenty or fifty years later, are in the cup.
This user liked this post: Espia

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:40 am

I think the frustration is that Sean Dyche is a manager. Their is no emotion involved. Yes he would love to win the FACup, but when things are like they are he knows in the big picture it matters little; particularly as it remains unlikely fans would be at any final. He will rest his players and get ready for the higher premier league finish that brings in so much more money to the business, and leave the dreaming to others.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:50 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 pm
Dyche sends a message? Tell you what - I’ll send him a message.

After that farce in Athens, you were on your final warning. Thanks (most sincerely). Now it’s time to clear off.
Final warning from who you drama queen ?
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret evensteadiereddie

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:09 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:26 am
Even with the Liverpool result, I think that in 10 years' time I will still look back on Coyle's promotion season as more memorable than this one. (Actually on May 24th I suspect I will look on Coyle's promotion season as more memorable than this one.)

Memorable matches that come close to the recent result at Anfield:

Tottenham away, and Liverpool home, 1983.
Preston away and Wolves at Wembley, 1988.
Derby away, 1992.
Derby away, 1999.
Liverpool home, 2005.
Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, 2009-10.

There's 10 memorable cup matches. Can you list 10 PL matches that were so good, that the cup matches don't come close?

Many of our best moments, the ones we talk about twenty or fifty years later, are in the cup.
Yes , because in all these cases we were massive underdogs living on a regular diet of lower league football so when the Cups came along we had the chance of a bit of underdog glory and the novelty of playing a higher/Premier League team. Now Dyche has given us the right to play these teams every week so there is no novelty-glamour or real underdog excitement ...when you eat cake every day there is no real thrill in another slice.
My favourite ever season was the 1992 Div Four Champions season.......precisely because we were on the way back after years of mediocrity.......it's just how football, and our mentality as fans, works.
Some of our Premier League wins at a capacity or near capacity Turf Moor will definitely live in my memory as much as some of the great cup ties and we should continue to remember that being there is a privilege that so many fans of other clubs...and certainly the other Lancashire town clubs who are our true peer Group.....would kill for.
This user liked this post: bodge

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:23 pm
If he's so **** hot, he can go find himself another job.

I've had enough of him, his ego... quite frankly, if he weren't our manager I'd probably despise him.
And i've heard enough of your melodramatic posts!

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm
And i've heard enough of your melodramatic posts!
Good for you, love.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:27 pm

houseboy wrote:
You are more pragmatic regarding more entertaining football and you are, of course, correct. However, if we are “to be entertained” at a lower level how long would we survive? It doesn’t seem that long ago where we were fighting for our financial lives in the Championship. If we go down and stay down, despite being thoroughly entertained for a period, we would have to sell players to pay the overheads like we had to do with Ings, Austin Rodriguez etc. Consequently, the standard of football would become much like the bad old days, which was dire even in the lower leagues. Surviving in the Prem will, or should, allow us to attract better players, improve the standard of player we have and eventually, we may well see entertaining football from BFC. However, that is dependent on staying in the Prem and the financial security that provides which is provided by staying in the league, not the FA cup. Perhaps I’m more pragmatic about survival, not about (as yet) entertaining football.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm

BennyD wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:27 pm
You are more pragmatic regarding more entertaining football and you are, of course, correct. However, if we are “to be entertained” at a lower level how long would we survive? It doesn’t seem that long ago where we were fighting for our financial lives in the Championship. If we go down and stay down, despite being thoroughly entertained for a period, we would have to sell players to pay the overheads like we had to do with Ings, Austin Rodriguez etc. Consequently, the standard of football would become much like the bad old days, which was dire even in the lower leagues. Surviving in the Prem will, or should, allow us to attract better players, improve the standard of player we have and eventually, we may well see entertaining football from BFC. However, that is dependent on staying in the Prem and the financial security that provides which is provided by staying in the league, not the FA cup. Perhaps I’m more pragmatic about survival, not about (as yet) entertaining football.
Good points. The only thing I would argue with is the assumption by many that if we got relegated we would by default enter into financial chaos. Yes we would have to sell players but that would be as much about some thinking they are too good for Championship football despite, as I have said for years about other clubs, those players getting the club relegated in the first place. But there is no reason to think relegation would mean oblivion. We can all point to the Bolton’s and the Portsmouths and Charlton’s of the world but the fact is, or seems to be, the majority of relegated clubs survive quite well, we did the last time.
I actually hate the PL and it’s obsession with money and all it brings but in the final analysis I want us to be in it simply because it is our top division. I do not think though that it is the be all and end all of football just because it brings massive financial reward. If relegation comes at some point (and it won’t this season I am convinced) I won’t lose a wink of sleep over it but I hope we do continue to be in it, but from pride, not chasing the golden egg.
This user liked this post: frankinwales

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:02 am
Oh come on bud. Yeah the win at Anfield was great but hardly a defining moment in our history. As for getting a draw away to the Gooners, if that is all you live for then okay.
We beat Arsenal at The Emirates.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am
We beat Arsenal at The Emirates.
Ha ha. Yeah. I think that proves my point in a weird way. I don’t attach massive importance to individual league results unless they are ‘deciders’ and the Liverpool and Arsenal games were not. They were great results for sure but not defining moments. The Orient game was a massive defining moment, as were games that decided championships in the various divisions and play offs also.
I suppose it’s just my way of seeing things that’s all. 😀

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:39 am

The orient game - let it go

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm
Good points. The only thing I would argue with is the assumption by many that if we got relegated we would by default enter into financial chaos. Yes we would have to sell players but that would be as much about some thinking they are too good for Championship football despite, as I have said for years about other clubs, those players getting the club relegated in the first place. But there is no reason to think relegation would mean oblivion. We can all point to the Bolton’s and the Portsmouths and Charlton’s of the world but the fact is, or seems to be, the majority of relegated clubs survive quite well, we did the last time.
I actually hate the PL and it’s obsession with money and all it brings but in the final analysis I want us to be in it simply because it is our top division. I do not think though that it is the be all and end all of football just because it brings massive financial reward. If relegation comes at some point (and it won’t this season I am convinced) I won’t lose a wink of sleep over it but I hope we do continue to be in it, but from pride, not chasing the golden egg.
There is pretty strong evidence that clubs that go down with large debts are worse off than clubs that go down without large debts. As you say, a club getting relegated often has to sell players, as we did last time with Trippier and Ings. But a club that can buy replacements with the sale money is better off than one that has to use the sale money to pay off debts.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:53 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am
There is pretty strong evidence that clubs that go down with large debts are worse off than clubs that go down without large debts. As you say, a club getting relegated often has to sell players, as we did last time with Trippier and Ings. But a club that can buy replacements with the sale money is better off than one that has to use the sale money to pay off debts.
If we were relegated this time round we would have to sell our best players just to balance the books.

Not being hyperbole but the team that faced Bournemouth would probably be pretty close to our starting eleven in the championship if we were relegated.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:53 am
If we were relegated this time round we would have to sell our best players just to balance the books.

Not being hyperbole but the team that faced Bournemouth would probably be pretty close to our starting eleven in the championship if we were relegated.
But we won’t be relegated this time around. We would have to have a massive dip in form together with the bottom 3 all improving massively. Even the allegedly much improved Fulham have only won 1 in their last 9. That is still relegation form no matter how well people think they are playing. Draws will not cut it for them. Newcastle however, considering their position and form might just need to be looking over their shoulder but even they still massively have it in their own hands.
As for the clubs finances I don’t think anyone on here is truly qualified to say what we would or would not need to do in the event of relegation, either now or in the future. I have read an article recently saying that Pace etc have factored in the possibility of relegation. Who knows.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm

houseboy wrote:
If you saw any of the recent chaotic game of bobbleball played out between the B******ds and PNE (and I could also pick any number of other games at that level) it served as a reminder that the excitement and openness of the Championship is largely engendered by a standard of football that is not terribly high. In the PL we get to test ourselves constantly against some of the best club teams and players in world football and to watch our players giving everything to compete with them. Games in the PL are played at a level of intensity way above that in the Championship and seeing top-level sport at the Turf is fantastic.
This, as well as all the financial imperatives, are why it's so important to stay in the PL. My hope is that gradually over time we will slowly develop and evolve as a team to become more open in our style but we have a wizard as a manager and his "mixed football" is far from the "hoofballl" caricature anyway. We are incredibly lucky to support Burnley and watch PL football. Hope it continues for many years.
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm
If you saw any of the recent chaotic game of bobbleball played out between the B******ds and PNE (and I could also pick any number of other games at that level) it served as a reminder that the excitement and openness of the Championship is largely engendered by a standard of football that is not terribly high. In the PL we get to test ourselves constantly against some of the best club teams and players in world football and to watch our players giving everything to compete with them. Games in the PL are played at a level of intensity way above that in the Championship and seeing top-level sport at the Turf is fantastic.
This, as well as all the financial imperatives, are why it's so important to stay in the PL. My hope is that gradually over time we will slowly develop and evolve as a team to become more open in our style but we have a wizard as a manager and his "mixed football" is far from the "hoofballl" caricature anyway. We are incredibly lucky to support Burnley and watch PL football. Hope it continues for many years.
Good points but entertainment isn’t always got from ‘high quality’ football. Even games in league 2 can be exciting and enjoyable. Personally I have no desire to be entertained by other teams players, however good they are, and watching us being taken apart by City every time we play them gives me no pleasure whatsoever. I suppose it all comes down to personal choice. If I wanted to be amazed at the talents of City, Chelsea etc. I would sit at home watching it on TV, which I don’t.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 pm

I am also not hugely fussed about watching other teams per se...as I said in my post my pleasure is in seeing my team, Burnley, taking them on and playing at a peak of intensity and available ability to , fairly regularly, succeed against them. I want to watch the highest standard of football possible and take pride in my club for being there....not watch a goalfest against Wycombe full of misplaced passes and huff and puff.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Given our ageing squad we desperately need new, younger blood but I'm not sure SD thinks the financial backing will be there in any large quantity

Correct me if wrong but haven't we given extended deals (inc options) to Wood, Barnes, Westwood, Cork, Lowton, JBG, Jay, Vydra, Long and Pieters this season. Add Mee, Stephens and potentially even Bardsley gives 13 players over 30 next season

My question is whether SD has felt the need to offer all these deals because he does not have the confidence in either the recruitment team or, lately, the new owners to come up with the finance to improve the current starting eleven with new incomings

It's more than likely Tarks will be gone this summer along with Gibson. In truth, Long is not going to get any better but, by giving him a new deal, we only need to find a replacement for JT (providing Dunne stays)

We need a better striker than the four we have (our goal ratio this season shows it clearly). We need a better WR and cover for Dwight. We need a RB if Bardsley is to go. We need a CM preferably to better current or, at least, to better Stephens

Minimum 5 signings. Based on our performances so far this season and a likely low finishing league position, these signings need to be of starting eleven quality if we are going to maintain Prem status the year after next (forward thinking). So what are they going to cost - £60m, maybe more

Does Dyche think that amount of money will be made available - I doubt it, hence maybe the reason for all of the new offers made to 30+ year olds most of whom are now contracted to 2023

A final thought - everyone is talking about the contract situation with Tarks but Ben Mee is in exactly the same time frame so do we have to let him go this summer unless he signs a new deal

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:29 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm
I won’t disagree in principle. However, when we went down with Brian Laws it was the parachute payments that kept us afloat. Had we not got promoted when we did, the finances would have rapidly turned to sh!t. Look at the spending power of Stoke Notts Forest and any number of other Championship clubs and realise that if we are still in there without parachute payments, we’d never get up and the only way would be down. Personally, I’d rather take sh!te football (even today’s if it gets a point) in the Prem than risk dropping down the divisions. If we did, IMO, league 1 would be all we could hope for.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:40 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm

A final thought - everyone is talking about the contract situation with Tarks but Ben Mee is in exactly the same time frame so do we have to let him go this summer unless he signs a new deal
Ben Mee won't get a better offer though, especially with him rumoured to be our highest earner.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:50 am

Ben Mee will stay regardless of if we go down. We’d likely get good transfer fees for Pope, Tarky, McNeil and Wood.

We’d get a pittance for the rest, but they’d probably all end up staying anyway.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:50 am
Ben Mee will stay regardless of if we go down. We’d likely get good transfer fees for Pope, Tarky, McNeil and Wood.

We’d get a pittance for the rest, but they’d probably all end up staying anyway.
In the unlikely event that we do go down this season, I'd add Taylor to that list, hopefully we won't find out how accurate your valuations are.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm
In the unlikely event that we do go down this season, I'd add Taylor to that list, hopefully we won't find out how accurate your valuations are.
Forgot about Taylor who I really like and who’d also probably command a decent fee.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 pm

The sooner Ben Mee signs a new contract the better. There must be something on the table and it worries me that nothing is yet agreed.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:00 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 pm
The sooner Ben Mee signs a new contract the better. There must be something on the table and it worries me that nothing is yet agreed.
No thanks, Ben Mee can clear off with Dyche somewhere in the summer. Both boring 1 dimensional and vastly overpaid.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 am

Right_winger wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:00 am
boring 1 dimensional .

Sounds right up your street that
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 am

Right_winger wrote:
No thanks, Ben Mee can clear off with Dyche somewhere in the summer. Both boring 1 dimensional and vastly overpaid.
Even by your standards, that is pathetic.

:roll:
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 am

Right_winger wrote:
Can I nominate this for daftest post of the week?

I know it's only Monday, but I think it's got real potential...
These 3 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 DomBFC1882 fidelcastro

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 pm
He has 16 months left on his contract. There are enough things to worry about in life at present, so our centre halves in the season after next needn't be on the worry list just yet.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Right_winger wrote:
In a world full of opinions there will always be at least one other person who agrees with you, no matter how ridiculous your point of view.
I think we have here, however, a statement that will find no seconders anywhere, ever.
"Ben Mee can clear off" the words of an absolute clown who should be banned forever just for that one utterance.
Imbecile.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:28 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:22 pm
In a world full of opinions there will always be at least one other person who agrees with you, no matter how ridiculous your point of view.
I think we have here, however, a statement that will find no seconders anywhere, ever.
"Ben Mee can clear off" the words of an absolute clown who should be banned forever just for that one utterance.
Imbecile.
A ban for a view you don’t agree with.. to be fair that’s not far off the mark for in here

Don’t rate him never have done and never will. I certainly won’t be alone in that view.

Other teams obviously don’t rate him either as he’s never ever been in demand. What do you think that is?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm

So a player who's been here for just under 10 years, majority as first choice, is our club captain, admired by many for his grit, determination and how he carries himself after 340 club appearances for us is still not rated by you?

I thought one of your earlier comments was the daftest I'd see all week, then you went and surpassed it.