But I'd rather...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

But I'd rather...

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am

A lot of people saying but I'd rather we beat C Palace Saturday rather than win last night.

Or

We can't or wouldn't beat City anyway so no point bothering with the FA Cup

Do people realise we are allowed to win 2 games?
We wont automatically win Saturday now.
What happens if we dont win Saturday?

Football is about winning, making memories, building excitement etc.
No one thinks we could win the cup, but being in this position and having a go would be a start, who knows City might not even make the final.
And if we did miraculously get to a final and lost to City , who cares, it goes on our honours list and no doubt has given the club massive exposure, whilst making many exciting memories for fans a long the way.

All you can do is treat cups games like SD does and not bother.
He does tell us the priority well in advance, and we all understand the league is priority, but there cant be many pros in the game that dont want to win every single game regardless of competition or opposition.
These 5 users liked this post: diamondpocket dsr Zlatan hoskinsgoalatswansea DomBFC1882

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Re: But I'd rather...

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 am

We played a reserve side and the regulars who played were playing at half speed that even made Pearson look good.I cant recall us making a serious tackle
Against Palace minus Diver Wilf we will turn up ,get 3 points and this embarrassing fiasco become another entry in our cup hall of shame book along with results against lower league teams

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 am

I don't think there's any doubt that Dyche wants to win every game. Unfortunately, for many reasons,we are restricted by reality in what we can do.
Dyche errs on the side of caution and is quite willing to sacrifice, or at least take a huge gamble on, winnable FA Cup games, deeming that our next few PL games are far important to the Club's future.
One thing we can't entertain, I'm sure, is relegation this season, no matter what.

I'm disappointed and frustrated by last night but if those next few games go reasonably well, he will have been proved right yet again.
These 9 users liked this post: wilks_bfc Leisure Bosscat BFCmaj jjclaret BertiesBeehole chekhov bobinho HunterST_BFC

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:31 am

As much as I am disappointed & frustrated in last nights result/performance, and going all the way and getting to the final would have been amazing, I cant help but feel that it maybe wouldn't have meant as much not being able to be there to see it happen.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:34 am

6 points from the next two games would beat any cup run.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Bosscat

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:37 am

Legs hearts minds xoxo

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:18 am

Venkys4eva wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:34 am
6 points from the next two games would beat any cup run.
I hope you're correct.

The last win in the cup we had a great result after, I hope this doesn't go the opposite way

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:22 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 am
I don't think there's any doubt that Dyche wants to win every game. Unfortunately, for many reasons,we are restricted by reality in what we can do.
Dyche errs on the side of caution and is quite willing to sacrifice, or at least take a huge gamble on, winnable FA Cup games, deeming that our next few PL games are far important to the Club's future.
One thing we can't entertain, I'm sure, is relegation this season, no matter what.

I'm disappointed and frustrated by last night but if those next few games go reasonably well, he will have been proved right yet again.
And if they don't, he'll be proven wrong

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:33 am

But if they do he'll be right. This could go o n all night.

Bottom line here is that if our senior players had turned up we probably would have done better. BPF had nothing to do all night - if the big chance of the 2nd half goes in while we are on top its a different game entirely.

Yes we weren't good but that side should have had enough to beat a mid Championship team. Key players failed to perform

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:33 am
But if they do he'll be right. This could go o n all night.

Bottom line here is that if our senior players had turned up we probably would have done better. BPF had nothing to do all night - if the big chance of the 2nd half goes in while we are on top its a different game entirely.

Yes we weren't good but that side should have had enough to beat a mid Championship team. Key players failed to perform
Not sure about that. On paper Bournemouth had a far stronger team out last night.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am
A lot of people saying but I'd rather we beat C Palace Saturday rather than win last night.

Or

We can't or wouldn't beat City anyway so no point bothering with the FA Cup

Do people realise we are allowed to win 2 games?
We wont automatically win Saturday now.
What happens if we dont win Saturday?

Football is about winning, making memories, building excitement etc.
No one thinks we could win the cup, but being in this position and having a go would be a start, who knows City might not even make the final.
And if we did miraculously get to a final and lost to City , who cares, it goes on our honours list and no doubt has given the club massive exposure, whilst making many exciting memories for fans a long the way.

All you can do is treat cups games like SD does and not bother.
He does tell us the priority well in advance, and we all understand the league is priority, but there cant be many pros in the game that dont want to win every single game regardless of competition or opposition.
you sure Bolton enjoyed their semi-final at Wembley losing 5-0 to Stoke, sure Watford fans enjoyed getting battered 6-0 by City in the final ?

When we got promoted under Mullen the away play-off at Plymouth win was far far more memorable than the final at Wembley against Stockport, the night at Derby will live far longer in the memory than us winning at Liverpool the other week. You don't need a cup final to make memories

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:35 am
Not sure about that. On paper Bournemouth had a far stronger team out last night.
I made the point during the game that Bournemouth's midfield cost between 40-50 million, ours cost less than 3 !

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 am

The Cup has now gone, and for me a huge opportunity lost to enjoy a quarter final, maybe more

However I am not surprised about the result or the performance. There was no one in defense with the experience and attitude (sorry but Bardsley could not be arsed and it shows-sadly he is past it). No experienced person in CM, and the area where there was experiences as a unit ie the two wide men and the two strikers-all four were appalling. What the hell has happened to Jay

The one thing though that really worries me know is "do the team turn up for the next few games", or do they generate performances like MK Dons, West Ham, Newcastle and first halves v Villa recently and Brighton. When those performances take place then sorry we are easy points for even Fulham and WBA

The other thing that worries me now is Dyche's accountability. Has he got bigger than the Club. Who would have challenged his team selection, and is he really the reason people like Dawson were not signed in Summer (incidentally he has been performing well for WHU recently and got praise last night for his performance. Just to remind you he is on loan.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 am
I made the point during the game that Bournemouth's midfield cost between 40-50 million, ours cost less than 3 !
Yep. One of Bournemouth's midfielders (Lerma) cost more than our entire starting XI last night. When I saw the starting teams prior to kick off last night I thought we would do well to get to penalties.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am
you sure Bolton enjoyed their semi-final at Wembley losing 5-0 to Stoke, sure Watford fans enjoyed getting battered 6-0 by City in the final ?

When we got promoted under Mullen the away play-off at Plymouth win was far far more memorable than the final at Wembley against Stockport, the night at Derby will live far longer in the memory than us winning at Liverpool the other week. You don't need a cup final to make memories
You do need a competitive match, though.

I don't agree with the point about the dangers of losing. Not wanting to play in case you get hammered, isn't a good way to go. Better to try and lose than not to try at all.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 pm
You do need a competitive match, though.

I don't agree with the point about the dangers of losing. Not wanting to play in case you get hammered, isn't a good way to go. Better to try and lose than not to try at all.
the flip side is picking your battles

no right or wrong, Dyche clearly chooses the picking your battles option to give us a chance of staying in the division which will be the number one directive of the owners

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am

...and the best game I’ve EVER seen is the one against Spurs, where we lost in the league cup. So I think I’m not getting your point

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm
...and the best game I’ve EVER seen is the one against Spurs, where we lost in the league cup. So I think I’m not getting your point
clearly

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 pm
clearly
And you’re clearly not understanding others viewpoints - which for me is that we rolled over last night to try and get 3 points at the weekend...

...confidence breeds confidence. Something Coyle understood, yet I fear Dyche does not
These 2 users liked this post: claretgimmer tiger76

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:23 am

Why are they more important than a cup run? We are not going to get relegated so the only relief for fans from the humdrum of PL ordinariness would be a cup run. All we have now is a bunch of games that, short of our form dropping ridiculously, are pretty meaningless. I know we are 4th from bottom but look at the gap. The only team with any realistic chance of catching us is 8 points adrift of us. 2/3 wins and we could be mid table. Sheffield Utd are nowhere near us but they are improving slightly but not that much. WBA are just truly awful. Fulham are not a good side and we play them twice, we’d have to lose both for them to be anywhere near. FFS I don’t get it, last night was possibly our most important game so far for its potential to give us something to cheer and it was thrown away completely.

And why, if we win the next few games, will he have been proved right? How do we know that last nights fiasco helped us win those games? You could never, ever quantify that.

I’m so convinced of what I’m saying that I am thinking of doing a relegation treble on the three currently there.
These 2 users liked this post: hoskinsgoalatswansea tiger76

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:30 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

I’m so convinced of what I’m saying that I am thinking of doing a relegation treble on the three currently there.
And you would need to put on £10 for it to return £14

In comparison Burnley are 5/1 as a single to go down.

There's no chance we are going down, and which ever way you try to dress it up, last night was a waste if a good opportunity.
One we likely wont get for a very long time.

What is more believable, is the players and staff split more prize money the higher we finish, so are driven by finance of league position rather than having a cup run.
This user liked this post: tiger76

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1515 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm

What does more damage?

Winning a cup game and getting to a quarter final

...or losing to an inferior team because your manager made you?

You think the players don't need a lift as much as the fans. Every time we win a game after a slump, we carry momentum. When we lose games like last nights, it hangs around, sometimes for months.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan tiger76

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:41 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm
What does more damage?

You think the players don't need a lift as much as the fans. Every time we win a game after a slump, we carry momentum. When we lose games like last nights, it hangs around, sometimes for months.
This 👏

I'm still fuming after last night. Disgraceful from everyone involved. I can accept losing when we've tried to win and look committed to doing so but that last night was appalling. Pieters, team selection, subs, effort. All score minus 10

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm
What does more damage?

You talk like playing a strong team guarantees a win. What do you think a loss playing our first 11 would do.

Lot of people have thrown their toys out the pram because they think we’ve got the divine right to walk over Bournemouth. We might be a league apart but quality wise there’s not much difference, if at all.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm
You talk like playing a strong team guarantees a win. What do you think a loss playing our first 11 would do.

Lot of people have thrown their toys out the pram because they think we’ve got the divine right to walk over Bournemouth. We might be a league apart but quality wise there’s not much difference, if at all.

Leeds proved this season at Crawley that just picking a strong team means you win.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1515 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm

We don't have DEVINE right to do anything. I didn't say that.

I do however feel we have an OBLIGATION to ******* try.
These 3 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Zlatan tiger76

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 pm

A couple of words for all that worship at the Sky/Premier league altar. History and Tradition. I couldn't give a toss if we finish 17th versus 16th or even 15th for that matter, hell I'd even take relegation to see the Claret and Blue ribbons on that trophy. Because football is or should be about more than turnover, profit margins and balance sheets.
These 4 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 tarkys_ears houseboy Falcon

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Caballo wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 pm
A couple of words for all that worship at the Sky/Premier league altar. History and Tradition. I couldn't give a toss if we finish 17th versus 16th or even 15th for that matter, hell I'd even take relegation to see the Claret and Blue ribbons on that trophy. Because football is or should be about more than turnover, profit margins and balance sheets.
Exactky my thoughts.

Cup competitions are for the fans and deliver excitement. The leagues and survival in the Premier league is purely financial so is perfectly understandable for Dyche and the board.

I'd swap premier league football for an FA Cup win and games against Rotherham, Norwich, Middlesbrough where anything can happen results wise. Nothing worse than playing Man City away knowing you haven't got a cat in hells chance and losing 5 0.

Give me a 2 1 win at Deepdale in the last 5 mins any day of the week in terms of excitement
Last edited by DomBFC1882 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Im ready for the Bolton, Portsmouth comparisons for all you extremists on here which seem to think there's no middle ground

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Caballo wrote:
Ah so you dont support the balance sheets?
You mean you dont get that warm fuzzy feeling when we announce record profits?
When we wont pay x for a player to sign does it not fill you with immense pride?

Sack scoring goals, winning games or making memories, that's not what football is about for some...
Bizarre
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm
Ah so you dont support the balance sheets?
You mean you dont get that warm fuzzy feeling when we announce record profits?
When we wont pay x for a player to sign does it not fill you with immense pride?

Sack scoring goals, winning games or making memories, that's not what football is about for some...
Bizarre
Haha 👍

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm

The cup run in 2009 fuelled our final push for a play-off place under Coyle as team confidence grew with each round we played, the feel good factor for us, the fans was immense and I personally believe it set us up well for the Final win over Sheff Utd. As a fan just playing to survive season after season albeit in the prem goes nowhere near creating that feelgood factor, maybe the odd good result against a top team gives a temporary elation but nothing compared to a cup run. I understand that financially prem survival is key but I would appeal to SD to maybe at this stage of a comp be a bit more adventurous and give us something to really get excited about or just jump ship in the first round then we all know where we stand.
These 5 users liked this post: tarkys_ears tiger76 Zlatan dougcollins Falcon

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:35 pm

claretgimmer wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm
The cup run in 2009 fuelled our final push for a play-off place under Coyle as team confidence grew with each round we played, the feel good factor for us, the fans was immense and I personally believe it set us up well for the Final win over Sheff Utd.
And thats why it edges it for me as the best season watching Burnley.
I'm sure those 2 or 3 cup wins made our season, but also made a great season into a magnificent and unforgettable one.

Several game with excellent memories and experiences, with some excellent entertainment to boot.
These 3 users liked this post: tarkys_ears lesxdp claretgimmer

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:30 pm
And you would need to put on £10 for it to return £14

In comparison Burnley are 5/1 as a single to go down.

There's no chance we are going down, and which ever way you try to dress it up, last night was a waste if a good opportunity.
One we likely wont get for a very long time.

What is more believable, is the players and staff split more prize money the higher we finish, so are driven by finance of league position rather than having a cup run.
I thought the odds would be shite. Football has the habit of throwing up surprises but if the current bottom three don’t go down I’ll eat hay with a donkey. We all know about Dyche and his hatred of cups (and many deny this but it is very obviously the case) but given the opposition, being at home and our current league position (or rather the gap in points and the quality of those below us) this could have been a massive boost to fans at a time when it couldn’t be needed more. Oddly I usually just let these things pass but I feel more angry this afternoon than I did last night.

WHAT A WASTED OPPORTUNITY!!!
This user liked this post: tiger76

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Caballo wrote:
Couldn’t agree more. I have been banging this drum a long time. What is football? Well it started out as a game, a sport, but slowly (and more rapidly recently) it has somehow turned into a business. And many fans have bought into this, which is why the big clubs fans think we shouldn’t be in the PL because we don’t have tons of money, a big ground and 60k fans. It is also why many of our fans are happy to throw away cup competitions, happy to finish 17th and happy to be served up dross so that we can stay in the bloody PL and have a healthy bank balance. FFS many of our fans couldn’t wait for us to be knocked out of Europe to ‘concentrate on PL survival’. Utter, utter madness.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:05 pm

houseboy wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm
I thought the odds would be shite. Football has the habit of throwing up surprises but if the current bottom three don’t go down I’ll eat hay with a donkey. We all know about Dyche and his hatred of cups (and many deny this but it is very obviously the case) but given the opposition, being at home and our current league position (or rather the gap in points and the quality of those below us) this could have been a massive boost to fans at a time when it couldn’t be needed more. Oddly I usually just let these things pass but I feel more angry this afternoon than I did last night.

WHAT A WASTED OPPORTUNITY!!!

I agree, that's the issue, it was a massive opportunity missed, last time we got to this stage we got dumped out at home to Lincoln.

So if nothing else it was a change to go our furthest in a long time.

Not sure when we will next get an easier path or games(s) to get to a quarters.
This user liked this post: mikeS

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:38 pm

I can understand the manager picking one or two Subs in the early rounds 3 and maybe 4 after a busy Christmas period, but a home tie against a lower league side in Round 5 With a potential Quarter Final home tie to follow and then a trip to Wembley for the semis?
Surely you’d start with your strongest side , Dominate the game, score and Then put the subs on.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6171 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:51 pm

it's a difficult one but for me I was happy with the team that started except for the late left back change, which I think had an effect and that was targeted, there were a few senior players in the starting line up plus fring players need to be given chances or we never know and the day you need them it's to late. More senior players were brought in, however from start to finish was poor, I don't blame SD for that, I blame it squarely on the players, they had a chance, they blew it. Hopefully some of them will be reliving the nightmare I and many others went through, thinking/contemplating what might have been, no leader in the team at all. No wonder we missed Ben so much in the beginning of the season, you'd expect a big turn around for the next game because that was definitely a chance thrown away, I can't say by the team as there simply wasn't one for me.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm

mikeS wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:38 pm
I can understand the manager picking one or two Subs in the early rounds 3 and maybe 4 after a busy Christmas period, but a home tie against a lower league side in Round 5 With a potential Quarter Final home tie to follow and then a trip to Wembley for the semis?
Surely you’d start with your strongest side , Dominate the game, score and Then put the subs on.
The January/February period has been more intense than the Christmas one.

Let’s also not make it out like it is a lower league side. We’re bottom end of the Premier League side. Bournemouth are a top end Championship side that were in the Premier League last season and playing to show they’re good enough to be in the new managers plans.

There’s a few posters today behaving in a way that we have the divine right to beat Bournemouth and it’s all but done if we played our strongest side.

Only one mistake was made and that was not putting and experienced lad in when Pieters was taken out. We had players like Bardsley, Vydra and J Rod that fans have been banging on about for months to be starting Premier League games. We played young lads that a lot of fans want us to play to improve and sell on.

We simply didn’t play well and got beat. It happens. We’ve been on the other side of quite a lot of those performances over the past 12 months. It’s football. It’s why we watch football.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm
And you’re clearly not understanding others viewpoints - which for me is that we rolled over last night to try and get 3 points at the weekend...

...confidence breeds confidence. Something Coyle understood, yet I fear Dyche does not
..........maybe you should listen to his post match interview that I posted

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:23 pm
..........maybe you should listen to his post match interview that I posted
.....................maybe I have (and I have) and I think he's not convincing me that he wanted to win as much as I did as a supporter.

look, lets leave this here - I dont want to fall out with anyone over this, I have my view and its different to yours and thats OK.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:50 pm

The thing I don't agree with is that "resting players" means we have a better chance of winning the next game.

I did a count up of Dyches 6 seasons and we have only won 5 games (out of 22) immediately after a cup performance where we have usually rested the first team - that's relegation form!

And if anyone thinks it means now we're going to win away at Palace, id think again. Out of the 9 where we've travelled after a cup match, we've won once, at Warnocks Cardiff in 2019 who I wouldn't even count as a Premier League side
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan houseboy

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:50 pm
The thing I don't agree with is that "resting players" means we have a better chance of winning the next game.

I did a count up of Dyches 6 seasons and we have only won 5 games (out of 22) immediately after a cup performance where we have usually rested the first team - that's relegation form!

And if anyone thinks it means now we're going to win away at Palace, id think again. Out of the 9 where we've travelled after a cup match, we've won once, at Warnocks Cardiff in 2019 who I wouldn't even count as a Premier League side
This 👏

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:08 pm

And ?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Let’s also not make it out like it is a lower league side. We’re bottom end of the Premier League side. Bournemouth are a top end Championship side that were in the Premier League last season and playing to show they’re good enough to be in the new managers plans.

There’s a few posters today behaving in a way that we have the divine right to beat Bournemouth and it’s all but done if we played our strongest side.

Only one mistake was made and that was not putting and experienced lad in when Pieters was taken out. We had players like Bardsley, Vydra and J Rod that fans have been banging on about for months to be starting Premier League games. We played young lads that a lot of fans want us to play to improve and sell on.

We simply didn’t play well and got beat. It happens. We’ve been on the other side of quite a lot of those performances over the past 12 months. It’s football. It’s why we watch football.
No one thinks we've got a divine right to beat Bournemouth, just that as a professional football club we had a duty to at least try.
No matter how much people try and dress it up that team selection was absolutely pathetic from Dyche.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:21 pm

It’s a bottlejob really, we aren’t going down very unlikely to, the bottom 3 appear to rank bad & incapable of stringing a run together, you can be completely risk adverse or calculate risk, the shot was there for further progression in a home tie with lesser opposition, the pressure is actually added to the palace game now failure to pick up anything there probably brings more justified criticism.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
.....................maybe I have (and I have) and I think he's not convincing me that he wanted to win as much as I did as a supporter.

look, lets leave this here - I dont want to fall out with anyone over this, I have my view and its different to yours and thats OK.
not falling out and I'm not really disagreeing with you tbh. I wish we were in a position to have a real go but understand the reasons for the changes. Pre kick off I was actually looking forward to seeing the likes of Benson play.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1812 times
Has Liked: 1792 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:22 pm

claretgimmer wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:29 pm
The cup run in 2009 fuelled our final push for a play-off place under Coyle as team confidence grew with each round we played, the feel good factor for us, the fans was immense and I personally believe it set us up well for the Final win over Sheff Utd. As a fan just playing to survive season after season albeit in the prem goes nowhere near creating that feelgood factor, maybe the odd good result against a top team gives a temporary elation but nothing compared to a cup run. I understand that financially prem survival is key but I would appeal to SD to maybe at this stage of a comp be a bit more adventurous and give us something to really get excited about or just jump ship in the first round then we all know where we stand.
Well said, I thought exactly this after last night's game. And currently watching two full-strength teams going full throttle at Goodison, currently 4-4.
I'm old enough to remember this kind of cup game but so many at this club are missing out.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:55 am

Dyched wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:18 pm

Vydra Bardsley Jayrod cannot expected to lift a team like that. The whole side was out of kilter. The blame does lie with players not taking their chance yes, but the blame lies squarely with Dyche for the changes. I wish people would stop making excuses for a guy who patently has no interest in a cup run for his own ends. He is a good manager and I like him for that but his contempt for cups and therefore the fans is absolutely disgraceful.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:07 pm

houseboy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:55 am
Vydra Bardsley Jayrod cannot expected to lift a team like that. The whole side was out of kilter. The blame does lie with players not taking their chance yes, but the blame lies squarely with Dyche for the changes. I wish people would stop making excuses for a guy who patently has no interest in a cup run for his own ends. He is a good manager and I like him for that but his contempt for cups and therefore the fans is absolutely disgraceful.
With his contempt for cups (ignoring who has actually knocked us out of the FA Cup during his time here and just lazily trotting out the contempt guff) can you explain why he would play a stronger team in the previous round and win it rather than just lose that one and be done with it.

Also cast your mind back to MIllwall (also a championship side) in the cup this season, Thomas & Dunne at centre half (not even Long), Brownhill n Benson in the middle and Pieters as a winger and the comments were all positive about giving the young ones a chance. Glennon even came on near the end and some wanted to see more of him due to doing well when coming on.

If we win it is a good night if we lose it is contempt ?