Professional women!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Re: Professional women!

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:16 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:49 pm
Maybe the more sceptical among us should look at the potential benefits to the community that investment in women's football would create?
Like what?

If you want girls to play football- have more youth coaching.

I started cricket because of kwik cricket ran at lower house via school when I was 9 and I'm bloody glad of it, these are the real schemes to get kids involved.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 pm

The reason many men’s teams run at a loss is because they have people willing to put in money on the chance the team will improve and they will recoup the money when they end up in the Prem. Or it’s a rich persons play thing

In women’s football there is no such benefit if the most successful club runs at a loss with no chance of recouping.

As said many times I’m not against women’s football. I have enjoyed watching it at times. It should be encouraged. If providing some financial support initially means it can become self sustainable then that’s brilliant. However, I don’t think just paying an amateur team to turn pro is a good idea if it’s not the intention to be self funded in the future. If it is that’s great but it’s unlikely to happen. My point is they women’s team will likely be dropped when we get relegated. If they can self fund the future of women’s football in Burnley isn’t dependant on the success of the men’s team

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm
I'd suggest you read the thread again. Your summary is, to say the least, patchy.

I think it can be summarised more succinctly by saying that some people thing that Burnley F.C.'s income should be used directly or indirectly for the benefit of the men's first XI as it always has been, and some think that some of the income should be directed to women footballers.

And perhaps it may be fair to conclude that the people who want the money directed to women's football also believe that they are better people than those who don't.
I don't need to read it again, I haven't missed anything, people are objecting purely because it's woman's football, that's the long and the short of it, but it's hardly a shock if you look at the history on here when women in football are discussed whether it be as officials, potential manager or women's teams.

We've proven the women's game has got a history pretty much as old as the men's game, but was blocked by the men from progressing.
A woman from this area became an England International, but she had to move to the USA because they treat the women fairly and actually encourage it, which is probably why their team is the best in the world.

Nor do I think I'm better than anyone on here, I've only met 6-8 of you face to face, hard to be better than someone I've never met plus I know my personal history..... Its not a high bar to be a better person than me :lol:

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:24 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm
I don't need to read it again, I haven't missed anything, people are objecting purely because it's woman's football, that's the long and the short of it, but it's hardly a shock if you look at the history on here when women in football are discussed whether it be as officials, potential manager or women's teams.

We've proven the women's game has got a history pretty much as old as the men's game, but was blocked by the men from progressing.
A woman from this area became an England International, but she had to move to the USA because they treat the women fairly and actually encourage it, which is probably why their team is the best in the world.

Nor do I think I'm better than anyone on here, I've only met 6-8 of you face to face, hard to be better than someone I've never met plus I know my personal history..... Its not a high bar to be a better person than me :lol:

I hope you’re not referring to me.

Rachel Brown moved to America to play pro football because it creates enough money out there to be sustainable.

I have no issues with female pundits. I think Alex Scott is great. I wouldn’t have an issue if our next manager was a women. All the best managers I’ve ever had have been women. I want women to play football. I want women to be inspired to play. But I don’t buy this “women should have the right to dream of playing football professionally for Burnley”. I have a mate with one arm. He could never play for Burnley, through no fault of his own. Should they create a one armed professional Burnley team so he can dream of playing for them, even though it isn’t sustainable?

I hope the club give the women’s team a leg up so they can self fund. If they are unable to self fund in a few years we won’t have a professional women’s team.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:27 pm

A depressing consequence of football fans being so well versed in the economics of the game is that accountancy becomes such a big part of fandom. This has the effect of grounding expectations, which isn't a terrible thing, but I still hate it.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Spiral wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:27 pm
A depressing consequence of football fans being so well versed in the economics of the game is that accountancy becomes such a big part of fandom. This has the effect of grounding expectations, which isn't a terrible thing, but I still hate it.

It’s not grounding expectations it’s reality. If we end up
In the championship how many people will lose their jobs?

As I say nothing wrong with giving the women’s team a start but it should be aiming to be self funded for their sake, however I doubt that is a realistic aim

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:34 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:16 pm
Like what?

If you want girls to play football- have more youth coaching.

I started cricket because of kwik cricket ran at lower house via school when I was 9 and I'm bloody glad of it, these are the real schemes to get kids involved.
Like I said. Look for the benefits.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:40 pm

The initial stages of the project involve integrating and amalgamating the women's team within the club's structure, bringing both the men's team and the women's team under one organisational umbrella. Just what do you think the budget is going to be for this? We're targeting promotion to the second tier by 2025. What kind of money can a woman in the second division of English football earn? I'll be absolutely astonished if the entire staff costs for this are over four hundred grand a season.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 pm

400k isn’t a lot for a Premier league team. It is a lot for a championship team, and a hell of a lot for a league 1 team

What happens if we go down?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53 pm

What happens if your arm bursts?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 pm

Inchy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:24 pm
Rachel Brown moved to America to play pro football because it creates enough money out there to be sustainable.
Inchy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:30 pm
As I say nothing wrong with giving the women’s team a start but it should be aiming to be self funded for their sake, however I doubt that is a realistic aim
I would have thought that our experienced American businessmen owners know that America will be an excellent place to generate revenue for the club, and the inclusive aspect of bringing the women’s team on board will appeal to a new market for the club. It won’t happen overnight, but I can imagine an increasing following in the US for our “family” club soaked in history as being a founder member of the football league.

Just saying what I think, not saying I’m right and you’re wrong.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:02 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 pm
I would have thought that our experienced American businessmen owners know that America will be an excellent place to generate revenue for the club, and the inclusive aspect of bringing the women’s team on board will appeal to a new market for the club. It won’t happen overnight, but I can imagine an increasing following in the US for our “family” club soaked in history as being a founder member of the football league.

Just saying what I think, not saying I’m right and you’re wrong.

And if that’s the case I’m all for it

However what I don’t like is this notion that women’s football will promote the club and gather sponsorship which will benefit the men’s team, only for the women’s team to be dropped if/when we go down. If that’s the case all we are doing is using women’s football to benefit the men’s game, Just in a covert way. If we can get the women’s team sustainable and an arm of the club which can run itself then that will ultimately benefit them more because their future will not be dependant on the men’s team success

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 pm

Wait, so now you're concerned about the possibility of this being a cynical exploitation of women's football?

Mate, it's currently run by a charity, and we're bringing its organisation in-house with the aim of making it a pro team. I don't think there's much more to it than that.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:29 pm

Spiral wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 pm
Wait, so now you're concerned about the possibility of this being a cynical exploitation of women's football?

Mate, it's currently run by a charity, and we're bringing its organisation in-house with the aim of making it a pro team. I don't think there's much more to it than that.

I thought it was a bold move to turn this into an exploitation of women case but it was worth a punt

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Soz everyone, can't sign a striker, we bought Lucy Bronze for't wimins teem.

Like, come on. Let's not be ridiculous. People are overreacting to this.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am

Spiral wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:40 pm
The initial stages of the project involve integrating and amalgamating the women's team within the club's structure, bringing both the men's team and the women's team under one organisational umbrella. Just what do you think the budget is going to be for this? We're targeting promotion to the second tier by 2025. What kind of money can a woman in the second division of English football earn? I'll be absolutely astonished if the entire staff costs for this are over four hundred grand a season.
How many staff are we looking at? If you have 20 senior players plus say manager, assistant, and physio - and that ignores reserves and juniors - then you have 23 players. £17,391 each including NIC. That's part-time wages - is that what they are aiming for?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 am
How many staff are we looking at? If you have 20 senior players plus say manager, assistant, and physio - and that ignores reserves and juniors - then you have 23 players. £17,391 each including NIC. That's part-time wages - is that what they are aiming for?
We don't know what scale setup we will have.
We won't know the costs yet.
We know there's a market for it, a huge one for advertising in the USA for example, so the men's and womens teams could do pre season tours together in the US.
A number of our coaching staff at the club could in all liklihood work with both genders.

Where are you plucking wage figures from?

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 am
We know there's a market for it, a huge one for advertising in the USA for example, so the men's and womens teams could do pre season tours together in the US.
A number of our coaching staff at the club could in all liklihood work with both genders.

Why ask me? It's Spiral's figure. Ask Spiral.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:28 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 am
Why ask me? It's Spiral's figure. Ask Spiral.
I haven't seen spirals figure, I've seen someone else mention £400k.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:28 am
I haven't seen spirals figure, I've seen someone else mention £400k.
Step back 4 posts from here, and you get to the post that you quoted asking me where I was plucking figures from. Read the last five words of the post I was replying to, written by Spiral. Those words are "four hundred grand a season".

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:42 pm

What a thread. Maybe not the most embarrassing in the history of UTC, but it's up there with 'best'.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Double it if you please, dsr. Triple it, even. Half it, quarter it, quadruple it. Couldn't care less. You'll still object.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:25 pm
Double it if you please, dsr. Triple it, even. Half it, quarter it, quadruple it. Couldn't care less. You'll still object.
I haven't objected so far. Expressed doubts, been non-committal, yes. But just because I haven't jumped up and down with enthusiasm doesn't mean I have objected.

I don't know if the purpose is to go full time or part time or wait and see. That's why I was questioning the figure.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:39 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 am

Where's this 'huge market' you keep alluding to? you're off your rocker.

Any viewership is of their own women's super league, not ours and there's 0 indication that ours will get any viewership - bar a few hundred schoolkids turning up on free tickets.

Why on earth would you want our staff dedicated to our pro/youth team diverting their time and effort to a women's team?

Pacey boy on about all this stuff- can we get some hot running water first deary me

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Any viewership is of their own women's super league, not ours and there's 0 indication that ours will get any viewership - bar a few hundred schoolkids turning up on free tickets.

Why on earth would you want our staff dedicated to our pro/youth team diverting their time and effort to a women's team?

Pacey boy on about all this stuff- can we get some hot running water first deary me
Even though I know this is a waste of my time, I'll explain it to you...

Women's football is a growing market, regardless of your opinion, it is happening.
In some places in the world, women's football has grown quicker than it has here, because they've given it a chance.

As for why would our staff want to work with the women's team, they're professionals and I suspect they won't see an issue in helping out if asked.

If the foreign markets aren't important to womens football, doesn't that also apply to men's football?
Is there any point in teams doing preseason international tours anymore?
Is there any point in clubs signing players from certain countries with an eye on what it can do for retail sales?

Men like you don't want it to grow, your archaic and outdated views make that perfectly clear.

Its easier to get into the market now and play catch up to help a product grow then it would be to do it in 10yrs time when it's even more popular, because make no mistake it will become more popular.
Companies like Sky and BBC Sport can see it growing and are doing their part in "shoving it down your throats" :lol:

The owners have set a target, which is reasonable and its not like they're starting a team from scratch, they've got one ready made that just needs a leg up, hence why they're bringing it on board.
It isn't going to cost a fortune either, we've definitely wasted more on players for the senior team with little or no return.

Weird isn't it how some of you understood that the club ring fenced money for things like the Academy and have been reasonably patient in watching it grow, yet that money could've been spent on new players for the senior team but those comments have never been made from what I can see.

Could I suggest you stop asking inane questions and just say you don't want the club to do this because you don't want to see women representing Burnley at any level.
It will be quicker for the rest of us who can see why this is a good thing.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:12 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Why do we need hot water?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:12 pm
Why do we need hot water?
https://www.greenregister.org.uk/blog/h ... of%20water.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:27 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

As for why would our staff want to work with the women's team, they're professionals and I suspect they won't see an issue in helping out if asked.

If the foreign markets aren't important to womens football, doesn't that also apply to men's football?

Its easier to get into the market now and play catch up to help a product grow then it would be to do it in 10yrs time when it's even more popular, because make no mistake it will become more popular.
Companies like Sky and BBC Sport can see it growing and are doing their part in "shoving it down your throats"

Weird isn't it how some of you understood that the club ring fenced money for things like the Academy and have been reasonably patient in watching it grow, yet that money could've been spent on new players for the senior team but those comments have never been made from what I can see.
The Premier League is viewed on a global market, the women's super league isn't and it runs at a loss and its not going to change because it's absolutely dreadful.

We're a small club and for the foreseeable all resources and time should be allocated into improving the men's team.

Why the hell would we have our dedicated first team staff take a ladies session - just why? This is high level professional sport.

Sorry Sidney that I'm not a revered progressive like you that likes to turn up to organised shag fests with a bunch of degenerates with my 'archaic views' of not wanting a professional women's team that runs at a loss when we're in debt

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Seems odd that hot water is a requirement under the Building Regs when it is widely accepted that washing hands with cold water is as hygienic whilst being more environmentally friendly.

I’m also not sure how the Building Regs would be enforced so long after the toilets were built - considering they have been built in accordance with the regs.

In any case, this doesn’t have anything at all to do with having a professional women’s team - unless I’m missing something?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:42 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:27 pm
The Premier League is viewed on a global market, the women's super league isn't and it runs at a loss and its not going to change because it's absolutely dreadful.

We're a small club and for the foreseeable all resources and time should be allocated into improving the men's team.

Why the hell would we have our dedicated first team staff take a ladies session - just why? This is high level professional sport.

Sorry Sidney that I'm not a revered progressive like you that likes to turn up to organised shag fests with a bunch of degenerates with my 'archaic views' of not wanting a professional women's team that runs at a loss when we're in debt
We aren't a small club, but then again this is a place where people consider the likes of Newcastle and West ham to be massive.... So maybe I shouldn't be surprised by your mindset.

I'm bored shitless of people telling me women's football runs at a loss when the net debt of the PL hit £3.6 billion last year.

As for who I go shagging, I'm not bothered what you think of it, I could really shock you with more about it, but let's be honest your little mind would have a meltdown.

Now if you're finished I'm gonna go whizz into the wind because I'll make far more progress than dealing with Sexist pigs like you.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Quite the journey you've been on on here, Sid! Correct me if I'm wrong but you were once called a Nazi on here (not by me), and now you're a "revered progressive!"

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Also, where do I enquire about these degenerate shag fests?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:52 pm
Quite the journey you've been on on here, Sid! Correct me if I'm wrong but you were once called a Nazi on here (not by me), and now you're a "revered progressive!"
Yeah I've been called a Nazi on here, more than once I think.
That irritated me a lot, if it was said to my face I doubt it would end well.

Revered progressive is a new one though and I'm not sure if that's compliment.. :lol:

As for the degenerate stuff, you can find all sorts on the internet.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:53 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:49 pm
That irritated me a lot, if it was said to my face I doubt it would end well.
Well, a truly modern man wouldn’t be resorting to violence.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Well, a truly modern man wouldn’t be resorting to violence.
Meh, its extremely rare for me to use violence, I prefer intimidating people, but calling someone a Nazi in an argument with nothing to support that claim is pretty low in my book and deserves a slap.

I've seen what Nazis have done, at Auschwitz.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Meh, its extremely rare for me to use violence, I prefer intimidating people, but calling someone a Nazi in an argument with nothing to support that claim is pretty low in my book and deserves a slap.

A ‘trip’ everyone should make
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:59 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 pm
A ‘trip’ everyone should make
I fully agree.
I think it's compulsory in some countries and I believe it would lead to a lot less hate and a lot less people thinking the far right is a good place to be....
This user liked this post: DCWat

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm

That’s the first place I’d visit if I was a secret Nazi.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 am

In order for a sport to be professional it must be able to have the interest to be self sustaining. Women’s football is not good enough to be professional so it’s borrowing money from the men’s game. Yes men’s football also runs into debt but it’s all serviceable. Very few men’s team go under and permanently disappear. When Burnley go down it’s a matter of time before women’s football in Burnley returns to being amateur, I’m confident of that.

So why are we elevating an amateur sport to professional level? To benefit the men’s team via more sponsorship?

I don’t believe I am sexist for wanting to see women’s football develop naturally into a professional sport. I don’t mind giving them a leg up but for their sake they must aim to be self sustainable.

Blind football isn’t a professional sport. Are we all discriminating against blind people for not wanting to elevate an amateur sport to professional level?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 am

When it was growing a century ago, the men blocked it...

The men's side owe it a leg up quite frankly.

Read a good article yesterday in the Athletic about Burnleys women team, their history etc.

They've got a first team and staff, they've got a youth set up already.
They've been gradually improving/growing.

All we are doing as a club is giving them a lift up and I genuinely don't understand why some of you struggle to see this as a good thing...

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:53 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 am

Read a good article yesterday in the Athletic about Burnleys women team, their history etc.

All we are doing as a club is giving them a lift up and I genuinely don't understand why some of you struggle to see this as a good thing...

I agree with giving a leg up as I have said multiple times. However they need to make themselves sustainable or it may be a very quick existence for a professional women’s Burnley team

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 am

Personally, I don’t really buy into the ‘it is owed because of the actions of others in the past’. By that logic, we are all responsible for things that we had no control over, before we were even born.

I pray that a distant relative wasn’t a racist, sexist, or any other ‘ist’ for that matter. I’ve just not budgeted for that.

The women’s game should be self sustaining, wether or not it is associated with a men’s team. That doesn’t mean that both teams under the umbrella of one club cannot benefit from one another.

The England women’s team receive the same pay and bonuses for representing England and I can get that, to an extent (recent performances might suggest they should actually get more).

However, if the next step is parity of wages in league football then they need to start providing a product that appeals to and attracts support at the same level, at which point - fair enough.

I don’t think it’s hard to envisage that a successful women’s team in Burnley could be self sufficient, unless wages do start to sky rocket.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am

Inchy wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 am
In order for a sport to be professional it must be able to have the interest to be self sustaining. Women’s football is not good enough to be professional so it’s borrowing money from the men’s game. Yes men’s football also runs into debt but it’s all serviceable. Very few men’s team go under and permanently disappear. When Burnley go down it’s a matter of time before women’s football in Burnley returns to being amateur, I’m confident of that.

So why are we elevating an amateur sport to professional level? To benefit the men’s team via more sponsorship?

I don’t believe I am sexist for wanting to see women’s football develop naturally into a professional sport. I don’t mind giving them a leg up but for their sake they must aim to be self sustainable.

Blind football isn’t a professional sport. Are we all discriminating against blind people for not wanting to elevate an amateur sport to professional level?
So women's football should be sustainable in the sense of men's football that it's ok to make losses so long as someone subsidises them?

However, they shouldn't be classed as self sustainable if someone has to subsidise their losses.

That seems to be the crux of your argument.
This user liked this post: dandeclaret

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:04 am

Wellsy1882 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 am
No issues with it
Its just plain and simply shite
You obviously don't watch much. Some of the women are better than some of the men.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:57 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:04 am
You obviously don't watch much. Some of the women are better than some of the men.
No they aren't, they're crap.

When the WWC was on there was a calamity of errors in pretty much every game. Routinely in exhibition matches under 14s/15s boys teams thrash national teams.

Look, as a whole, far less % of girls play sports competitively than boys do at a young age... Of the sports that they do play football doesn't have the highest participation rate at all - where as for boys practically every boy plays football.

The competition level to make it in men's football is worlds apart - litetally.

What we're suggesting here is handing out pro contracts for people that imo don't deserve it.

There are plenty of fields that women dominate and get rightfully so paid more money than blokes do because they bring in the revenue. Just look at women in modelling for example.

Finally, I don't think the women's game will grow to this 'massive' level some of you guys seem to think, not unless it's changed drastically to better showcase their talent- I.e smaller pitches, smaller nets and what not

Finally - why do you think mens football might have been struggling around 1914- the early 20s? Hmmm, perhaps half of the players were massacred in Europe fighting one of the worst wars of all time? God rest their souls

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:28 pm

aggi wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am
So women's football should be sustainable in the sense of men's football that it's ok to make losses so long as someone subsidises them?

However, they shouldn't be classed as self sustainable if someone has to subsidise their losses.

That seems to be the crux of your argument.

But the difference is when investors come into the men’s game they do so in the belief they might get a return, although often not the case. If a men’s teams goes from the championship to the premier league debts are often wiped overnight, like ours debts to Kilby. In the women’s game no matter how much you invest there is pretty much zero chance of getting a financial return

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:40 pm

It's pretty sad that so much sexism is still tolerated on here while discussing ways to reduce sexism is banned under the "no politics" rule.

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:04 am
Nope. They arent

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:44 pm

PeterWilton wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:40 pm
It's pretty sad that so much sexism is still tolerated on here while discussing ways to reduce sexism is banned under the "no politics" rule.
Saying women's football isn't at the same level as men's football isn't sexist, it's an objective fact

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:46 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:57 am
No they aren't, they're crap.

When the WWC was on there was a calamity of errors in pretty much every game. Routinely in exhibition matches under 14s/15s boys teams thrash national teams.

Look, as a whole, far less % of girls play sports competitively than boys do at a young age... Of the sports that they do play football doesn't have the highest participation rate at all - where as for boys practically every boy plays football.

The competition level to make it in men's football is worlds apart - litetally.

What we're suggesting here is handing out pro contracts for people that imo don't deserve it.

There are plenty of fields that women dominate and get rightfully so paid more money than blokes do because they bring in the revenue. Just look at women in modelling for example.

Finally, I don't think the women's game will grow to this 'massive' level some of you guys seem to think, not unless it's changed drastically to better showcase their talent- I.e smaller pitches, smaller nets and what not

Finally - why do you think mens football might have been struggling around 1914- the early 20s? Hmmm, perhaps half of the players were massacred in Europe fighting one of the worst wars of all time? God rest their souls
Well, as everyone is on here, you are entitled to your view, but womemn's football is growing all the time and I'd love to see Burnley see their share of that growth. There are 195 countries in the world and they all have TV. If only 5% of them take on the women's game, think of the advertising rrevenue that would be raised.

Being an ostrich and burying your head in the sand, just because you don't like something is not a very good way of looking to the future. There are plenty of people watching the women's game already, but because of your lack of interest, you probably don't realise that.

As for your last Paragraph, I'm lost for words. What possible connection are you trying to make?