Is the Barnes/Wood partnership now redundant?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Is the Barnes/Wood partnership now redundant?

Post by Mala591 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am

At last we’re playing intelligent and confident ‘pass and move’ football in the final third of the pitch. Sceptics might say this has been forced on SD by Wood’s injury but whatever the reason it does seem to be working much better than ‘lumping the ball toward the two front men’.

All credit to the skill and effort of Rodriguez and Vydra linking play with Barnes as well as the significant improvement in the form of JBG and Lowton.

Should the new attacking style become our default approach in future and has it made the Barnes/Wood partnership redundant?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Is the Barnes/Wood partnership now redundant?

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:58 am

No

If anyone watches Burnley and takes away from it that all they ever do is "lump it" then is says more about their own understanding. You could say that taking Vydra out the side allowed us to play much better (again this wouldn't be fair) at the weekend so is Vydra now redundant.

Which ever 2 of the 4 play we will always mix it up
This user liked this post: Greenmile

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 am

So just as jbg and Lowton are rediscovering form you want to sack off what's been our most prolific partnership these last few seasons?

Don't do drugs kids.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:10 am

You tend to always keep all attacking options open & never abandon any option, we know in the past that something as worked successfully & there’s no reason why that same thing can’t work again despite recent blank blips, you rotate the 4 to find the formula & in all fairness that’s exactly what he’s been doing although the hand as been forced with injuries.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:13 am

Mala591 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am
At last we’re playing intelligent and confident ‘pass and move’ football in the final third of the pitch. Sceptics might say this has been forced on SD by Wood’s injury but whatever the reason it does seem to be working much better than ‘lumping the ball toward the two front men’.

All credit to the skill and effort of Rodriguez and Vydra linking play with Barnes as well as the significant improvement in the form of JBG and Lowton.

Should the new attacking style become our default approach in future and has it made the Barnes/Wood partnership redundant?
What it does show is that we are currently playing much more attractive and effective football without Wood in the side, and I for one think we should continue the current approach. We've had more shots, and shots on target in the last two PL games than we have in the rest of the season combined.

It's so much better to hear the Match of the Day pundits saying how "Superb" or "Brilliant" we were than "Boring" and "Predictable."
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera DomBFC1882

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:15 am

Will work more readily against certain defences-this is where SD needs to study the opposition more. In the past its worked well against some of the top teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Leicester, Everton. These sides are not keen on the "physical side"

Having said that more recently its been a case of who of the four are fit.When did we last have all four available

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:17 am

Heck, you've done it now Mala. Grrr!

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am

Chris Wood is a modern day PL version of our Charlie Austin conundrum in Dyches first season. Yes he gets goals and his goal record is pretty good, but we play so much better without him in the side and the goals will be spread out more which is a good thing. I really don't think he should get straight back in the side.
This user liked this post: bf2k

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am
Chris Wood is a modern day PL version of our Charlie Austin conundrum in Dyches first season. Yes he gets goals and his goal record is pretty good, but we play so much better without him in the side and the goals will be spread out more which is a good thing. I really don't think he should get straight back in the side.
Spot on. He shouldn't walk straight back...but he will. However, what's to say Wood can't play with the ball at his feet? We seem to automatically default to hoofball when he is in the side but we haven't always played this way with him in the side. The encouraging thing for me is that we do have players who can play football on the floor. Yes get it into the forwards quickly but in the right way, playing against your opponent, not regardless of them.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:56 am

I've said it for a while that I don't think Barnes/Wood has worked for a couple of years and usually Dyche is forced into the changes.

I also can't deny that Jack Cork is back and we are playing better. I don't hide from the fact I say I often don't rate him and feel he isn't involved enough (just running alongside), although it was always noticeable that if he played well, we won. He has literally been the link.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:44 pm

I think with better service they work well but we do need options to play different ways. Most teams have us sussed ie press us early and due to the inability at times to pass through midfield we launc it and if the opposition centre halves are switched on they win the ball, I think they are both better players then a lot of critics say they are.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 pm

We have four decent strikers (yes even Barnes who I criticise but he’s not ‘bad’ as such) but maybe the partnership of Wood and Barnes should be avoided, unless forced, because neither is great at hold up play. I think Vydra or Jay should play because of the variation they bring but without Wood Barnes is looking a better player too. This is not Woods fault of course but he should not be a shoe in when he’s fit again. We are starting to score goals again and playing nicer stuff, if that is a result of not playing Barnes and Wood together then bring it on.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:04 pm

I’d bear in mind we said the same thing last year. When Jay came in for Barnes when he had his opp, Wood and Jay were class together and we played some of our best football. I still believe Wood is our best striker, and Jay complements him best, so they are our best front 2. However, flexibility depending on the opposition and the ability to bring on different options is never a bad thing.

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:08 pm

They are both similar
Need a mix of them and jay/vyds

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:15 pm

I think Dyche needs to be a bit more fluid in his rotation/selection instead of constantly persisting with his default choice whether it`s working or not, the players are good enough to slightly alter the way they play to suit the forwards.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:23 pm

Hopefully not and mixing our 4 strikers will continue I think. I want Wood to come back with a bang and get into double figures!

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:23 pm

All 4 strikers have shown that they can be effective, it's just frustrating that SD insists on playing them when they're either badly out of form, or carrying an injury.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:28 pm

So we win a game, Jay & Barnes play well so we are making a previously successful partnership redundant.

In answer to the OP - No.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

The mix of strikers is almost perfect for our budget tbh. I reckon any two can work and there is certain evidence of that.

That said, the Wood Barnes partnership has most definitely supplied the most goals and is far from defunct

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm

I have always had a problem with Wood.
No doubt he is a fantastic goal scorer for a team like us. I just can’t see what else he brings to the team. Chris Wood is arguably one of the worst on the ball in our team. He struggles to make 5 yard passes at times.

However with better players in the squad and less reliance on Woods footballing ability I think he would suit us a bit better.

Right now I think our best striker pairing is Barnes with one of Vyds/Rodriguez.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:48 pm
I have always had a problem with Wood.
You're in good footballing company cos even Pele had his problems in that part of the pitch

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 pm
You're in good footballing company cos even Pele had his problems in that part of the pitch
Ouch!!! But quite clever. 😂😂😂

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm

Horses for courses, it's never over

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 pm

I think there’s a case for any combination from all four.

But wood has to always be first choice. Next year I’d like to see more options though. Difficult to think who would be best to partner wood though. Another big man. Or someone who creates more space for him.

I don’t think he’s a typical big man in that he will hold it up and bring the smaller poacher in. So it’s someone quick and creative we need to give wood more chances imo.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 861 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:20 am

We play more attractive football without the 2 big men but we need all options so it can be changed for different opposition. Too often we seem to go with the same side when either players are out of form or against different opposition. With 2 deep lying midfielders we need to find creativity and goals from the wings as on Saturday.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 am

Some credit should go to Vydra. His recent performances have certainly woken up Barnes & JRod, who seemed to be going through the motions not so long ago.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:23 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 am
Some credit should go to Vydra. His recent performances have certainly woken up Barnes & JRod, who seemed to be going through the motions not so long ago.

I know Vydra comes in for a bit more praise than most of our players by some but this is stretching it.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:46 am

Perhaps unfair to arrive at such a conclusion after one very good display or so, albeit against a very poor side. We hardly need to be dusting off the record books to look back at performances that were being strongly criticised.

Wood has been off form, Barnes has been off form, Jay has been off form and Vydra is only just coming in from the cold.

Cork has been out for a prolonged spell, Brady and Gudmundsson have been injured and out of sorts, and Dwight has until recently, looked off the pace.

We’ve had to frequently rotate full backs, had an enforced spell without our much lauded centre back pairing and had very slim pickings to call upon from the bench, all season.

Therein lay the problems that Dyche and the team has faced, compounded by two windows with the addition of just one player.

I’m not sure that we’ve hit on a magic formula. Just as likely that we had the sort of performance from the midfield four that we need to be effective. That was JBG and McNeil’s best performances for some time and when added to the fact that Cork was back in the mix, it naturally helped our strikers.

I can imagine Wood watching that game and wishing that he’d been playing. He may well have done just as well or even better than Jay and Barnes.

We need four effective strikers but I’d argue that more importantly, we need the four behind them (and the full backs) to play their significant part, which they did brilliantly on Saturday.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 am

Correlation does not imply causation. You could equally come to the conclusion that we play better football without Taylor. We didn't play better football against Palace because Wood wasn't in the side, our approach to the game was just far more positive. The midfielders, particularly Cork, pushed forward into attacking positions. Our full backs were given free rein to attack - which resulted in a goal for one and an assist for the other. Look how many players we had in and around the box in the first half against Palace. I have little doubt that Chris Wood would have filled his boots against such a poor opposition.

So to answer the OP, no. All 4 strikers have something to offer and whilst they've all had a lean season in front of goal they're good options to have. What Wood offers above and beyond the other strikers is goals, and they're pretty important.