Pea & Ham Soup - A Lockdown Recipe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Pea & Ham Soup - A Lockdown Recipe

Post by Rowls » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:59 pm

Lockdown has hit many of hard in the pockets but at the same time we find ourelves with more time on our hands.

With that in mind I'd like to share a recipe for pea and ham soup. It's very, very cheap, packed with vitamins and nutrients and it tastes delicious. It's the best soup I've made for yonks and it costs a handful of pence per serving.

If you're prepared to do a little bit of fiddly cooking you can enjoy this delightful dish

Ingredients
Half a ham shank / ham hock: £1.80
1 box batchelors dried peas: 50p
1 large onion ~15p

Total cost = £2.45. Will make around 6-8 servings at around 40 pence per bowl

That's it for the ingredients.

I bought some bacon from Conlans in Padiham not long ago but it didn't have any fat on it or any marbling. TBH I only bought it because I felt awkward when I went in at the disappointing selection. HOWEVER ... when I cooked had a great flavour. A real gamey streak running through and it had that amazing almost "wild" quality that really good pork has.

So I decided to give Conlans another go and was pleasantly surprised. They had a lot more on offer. Evidently I'd been in on a bad day last time. And this time they had plenty of bacon with good marbling and plenty of fat so I've got a few more packs now safely stored in the freezer.

They also had ham hocks which -if you can find the energy to pick the meat off them- are an absolute bargain. They cost £3.60 but you'll get ~700g of ham that tastes light years ahead of *anything* in the supermark off them. It's a cheap cut of meat because it requires preparation but if you have the free time and haven't ever had a ham hock please take the opportunity - it's one of the tastiest cuts out there and the only reason people don't eat it all the time is because there's a tiny bit of faff to get it ready. There really isn't a tastier piece of pork out there. It's perfect meat for tearing off in chunks and adding to soups or stews etc or just gobbling it own it's own.

It's the kind of thing that Nigella probably eats when nobody is looking.

So that's how and why I decided to cook Pea & Ham soup.

Here's the method:

One day before: Put your dried peas into a bowl and cover with water. Make sure there is plenty of water as they will soak it up as they rehydrate.

Next day: Cover your ham hock in water and cook on a low simmer for 3 hours. You can get away with 1.5 hours but between three and three and a half hours works best to turn the collagen in the meat soft. As the ham hock cooks it flavours the water which becomes an amazing ham stock. Once the time is up carefully pick the hock out of the cooking liquid and put it aside to cool. Cover the ham stock and place this aside too. It's perfectly OK to leave it on the kitchen side for 24 hours if it's covered.

Once the meat has cooled for 2 or 3 hours it should have cooled down enough to handle. Tear of all the lumps of meat and put them aside. Keep all the fat and skin too. Throw away the bones.

Cover the meat that you've taken off the bone on a plate and cover it tightly. Do not put it into the fridge unless it is cold otherwise your milk will go off and you risk any meat in your fridge warming up and going off too. The ham will keep for at least 2-3 days and you can freeze it in lumps once it's cold (if you can resist eating it in one go, it's genuinely gorgeous when it's still warm out of the pot).

Once the stock has cooled there will be a layer of fat on the top. Skim this off into a large pan and use it to fry your onion. You don't want to brown your you onion, you want to sweat it down until it soft.

Once the onion is soft and has sweated down, add you ham stock (make sure you include the sediment at the bottom of the stock pan that comes off the ham - that's the good stuff). Rinse your peas well and add them to the pan. Set the heat to medium and cook the peas, sweated onion and ham stock gently.

As the soup is cooking, take about half the ham meat and chop it up into small cubes. Put this aside.

If you really like good, old-fashioned food like I do you can do something extra here: take half of the pork skin and fat and slice the skin away from the solid fat. Dice the pork skin into very small pieces and put these on the plate with the cubed ham. This is what lifts this dish from "very good" to exceptional. It gives the pork an additional gamey texture and will leave you licking your lips.

After 20-30 minutes of gentle cooking the peas start to go mushy and their skins come off. You'll start to see your soup turn green and the skins floating on top. If you've got a handheld stick blender you can blitz it up and make it smooth but this is only cosmetic and not necessary.

Once the peas are cooked, add in the cubed ham (and the finely diced skin if you're discerning) and allow the soup to simmer very, very gently for another 5 minutes.

Season with black pepper and malt vinegar to taste.

Eat with bread and butter. It's spectacular!

The soup will keep fresh on the kitchen side for a day as long as it's covered. Once it's cold it will keep for another 2-3 days in the fridge. Just be sure to heat it thoroughly until it's piping hot. Be sure to stir it well before serving as it can separate out and peas can fall to the bottom.

To preserve it longer bag it up in strong freezer bags and it will keep for months in the freezer.

If you want to serve this to guests and be fancy you can make a mint & malt vinegar oil to drizzle on top before serving. Simply mix together 1-2 teaspoons of mint jelly/mint sauce with 1-2 tablespoons of malt vinegar and enough oil to hold it together. Don't use a fancy or expensive oil, sunflower oil will do. Mix this drizzling oil by putting the ingredients in an old jam jar and shaking them together. You can whisk it together it you don't have an old jar. Swirl it on just before serving.

If you're a real pork fiend (or want to take the scrimping to the extreme) then there is a final porcine delight for you - take the strips of solid fat that were cut off the ham hock and put them in a pan on a very low heat. Slowly render them down and have on toast as dripping or use the fat to roast your Sunday spuds.

Cheap food. Delicious food. If you're prepared to take a little bit of time on something like this it will make you feel like a king or queen. Food doesn't get any better.

Bon appetit!
These 5 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare Zlatan HollandsPies Garnerssoap LordBob

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Pea & Ham Soup - A Lockdown Recipe

Post by Zlatan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Sounds delicious Rowls I’ll try that for sure, thanks
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm

You'll be glad you did Zlatan.

If you've ever enjoyed pork scratching or pork crackling then be sure to add the skin to the soup. It really does tip it over the scales from very good to spectacular. :)

I've paid 13-14euros for pigs ears in fancy restaurant when times were good but if you're prepared to get your fingers sticky preparing the ham yourself you're in for a treat.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm

I just go shop lifting, especially the tinned food count items.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm

Pea and Ham soup gives truly excellent wind.

I’m am surprised the great scientists of the world have not yet harnessed this great power source.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 pm

Sounds very nice that soup...

I was walking towards Foulridge today to Inghams Butchers when a Lorry load of Pigs came past on their way to Borthwicks Abbatoir in Colne,must admit I felt a bit sad especially when buying my Spanish sausages from the Butchers .. A bit too late in life for me to change my meat eating habits now.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:42 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 pm
Sounds very nice that soup...

I was walking towards Foulridge today to Inghams Butchers when a Lorry load of Pigs came past on their way to Borthwicks Abbatoir in Colne,must admit I felt a bit sad especially when buying my Spanish sausages from the Butchers .. A bit too late in life for me to change my meat eating habits now.
It's the regular route for livestock passing kelbrook..must admit it as cured me from eating lots of Bacon... :D

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm
You'll be glad you did Zlatan.

If you've ever enjoyed pork scratching or pork crackling then be sure to add the skin to the soup. It really does tip it over the scales from very good to spectacular. :)

I've paid 13-14euros for pigs ears in fancy restaurant when times were good but if you're prepared to get your fingers sticky preparing the ham yourself you're in for a treat.
My Mutha swears by the Ham Hock.....very tasty. :D So.....that's Alcohol sorted...food sorted....women? Or do I consult Godisadeejay.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:29 pm

If you have a soup maker....
Vegetable stock
1 onion
1 potato
1 floret of Broccoli ...smooth in the soup maker crumble blue stilton in a saucepan and pour over the hot cooked soup to melt the stilton.....you will never make Pea & Ham soup again...magnificent please please believe me and the beauty of it is you know what you put in it ....no shite...tastiest soup I have ever had the pleasure of eating

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Vegetable stock
1 onion
1 potato
1 floret of Broccoli ...smooth in the soup maker crumble blue stilton in a saucepan and pour over the hot cooked soup to melt the stilton.....you will never make Pea & Ham soup again...magnificent please please believe me and the beauty of it is you know what you put in it ....no shite...tastiest soup I have ever had the pleasure of eating
I've yet to put Sh!te in my broths....

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:27 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:29 pm
Vegetable stock
1 onion
1 potato
My brother in law makes one similar

Broccoli
Sweet potatoe
Chilli flavoured Philadelphia.
Salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 pm
:roll: Heathen! :lol:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Nah Timbob you save it for your posts on here
🤭🤭🤭

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am

This gadget is the second most important item in our kitchen just slightly behind the Ninja.....it makes the most amazing tasting soups with a little help from the wife...😊
20210220_102559.jpg
20210220_102559.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1416 times

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:29 am

3 decent sized leeks
2 medium potatoes
1.6 litres chicken stock
dash of freshly grated nutmeg
200ml semi skimmed milk
Pepper to taste
Boil together for half an hour and blitz until smooth

Serves 6 or 3 fat b*stards

HollandsPies
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by HollandsPies » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 am

Very similar to my recipe, Rowls - I'm going to try it.
My version adds leeks and a couple of Kabana sausages and is more like a Dutch 'erwtensoep'.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Good morning Hollands! Of course you're fond of all things Dutch with a username like that. ;)

Yes a good point - there are a thousand meats you could subsitute for the ham hock.

Can't beat a smoked sausage soup. Delicious.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Just finished making my weekend soup. Chefs base fried in a little vegetable oil then add chicken stock, carrots, potato, leek, celery and spring greens, seasoning to flavour. Bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for about 2 hours. Once ready, blitz, add creme fraich and 3 cooked shredded chicken breast.

I enjoy that type of soup as I can't eat vegetables like carrots , greens, cauilflower etc without blitzing them.