Quick free kicks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Quick free kicks

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:06 pm

Sorry to start another thread on this but I feel it is a debate on its own.

For me all FKs should be allowed to be taken quickly, without waiting for the whistle as long as the ball is in close proximity of the offence. Allowing defences to line up a wall gives them the advantage when they are the penalised team. Anybody kicking the ball away or standing adjacent to the ball gets a yellow card.
Thoughts?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6957 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Re: Quick free kicks

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:24 pm

The game works fine as it is - with players generally permitted to take quick free kicks anywhere on the pitch other than in goal scoring positions.

Goalkeepers have been allowed to set up a wall for as long as I’ve been watching the game and this improves the game as a spectacle. Why change it?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m with Lineker on this...

The foul has been committed by the defending team, why allow them the advantage of being able to organise a defence against what is essentially a free and non contested pass? They have committed the offence, they should be at a disadvantage because of that. If they were, maybe there would be fewer?
The attacking team should be allowed to maximise the advantage they have been given due to the opposing teams ‘cheating’.
I know it hasn’t always been this way, but I think the team who has been wronged should be able to take the kick when they want, not when the referee has decided the defending team is organised well enough to prevent the advantage from being any advantage whatsoever.
This user liked this post: jetblackcat

claret4blue
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by claret4blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 am

The attacking team should be allowed to maximise the advantage they have been given due to the opposing teams ‘cheating

Grealish & the likes would have a field day

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:48 am

All you’ll get is opposition players standing over the ball while the wall is being arranged and chucking the ball away just as the free-kick is awarded.

The moment would be delayed as the ref will be blowing his whistle to talk to players causing nuisance.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 am

To expand this, how often does the attacking team score direct with a shot?

The default position of all teams is to just shoot. Whatever happened to the wall pass for example?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 am

Manchester City took a quick one against us at the Etihad and scored in Cup match. We tried it not long after at home and the referee brought play back. So on that basis it depends on the referee. We should though wise up and as mentioned above have somone stand over the ball till the defence is set.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm
The attacking team should be allowed to maximise the advantage they have been given due to the opposing teams ‘cheating’.
I know it hasn’t always been this way, but I think the team who has been wronged should be able to take the kick when they want, not when the referee has decided the defending team is organised well enough to prevent the advantage from being any advantage whatsoever.
Sadly, most free kicks within range of goal are given because of the attacking team cheating, not the defending.

Edit - and giving them further advantage by allowing quick free kicks would only make it worse. The edge of a penalty area would be like a stag do trip to an ice skating rink.
This user liked this post: bobinho

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:21 am

Stayingup wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 am
Manchester City took a quick one against us at the Etihad and scored in Cup match. We tried it not long after at home and the referee brought play back. So on that basis it depends on the referee. We should though wise up and as mentioned above have somone stand over the ball till the defence is set.
I think this sums it up perfectly. The big teams are allowed to take free kicks quickly but the small fry are not. It's once more a case of the smaller clubs having to obey the rules to the letter whilst the big ones can bend them any which way they like. Another reason my love for the game is fast diminishing.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:15 am

The ref usually asks the free kick taker if he wants to take it quickly or wait for the whistle.
Having said that, the ref may not ask and simply tell everyone to wait for the whistle.
And having said that, defending players will still stand in front of the ball and disrupt everything.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:25 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 am
Sadly, most free kicks within range of goal are given because of the attacking team cheating, not the defending.

Edit - and giving them further advantage by allowing quick free kicks would only make it worse. The edge of a penalty area would be like a stag do trip to an ice skating rink.
Laughed out loud at that, quality. :lol: