Time to try Lowton at right midfield?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Re: Time to try Lowton at right midfield?

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:42 pm

JTClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:04 pm
Maybe, although that would still only be 3 wingers. We had Hendrick and Lennon leaving last season, both of whom played that role.
The issue would be if we signed a player who didn't play, and/or wasn't good enough for whatever reason. I also struggle to understand why after 4 years in the prem we still can't afford 1 decent signing a season (even if over 2 windows). It has been said that attendances don't hugely impact a club compared to the TV money. I'm not saying we do have the money, just that I don't understand the finances of football.

It is quite funny though how Dyche will talk about working with what he has, but play; a right winger, left winger, centre midfielder, left back, I'm sure striker and we are now talking about the right back. It's a shame we had the start we had, as perhaps an alternative formation would have been tried if we'd had the points to be safe(r).
I agree he needs the personnel first, before he can try much in the way of new formations, we also need the comfort of comparative safety. I'm sure one day he will.
As for finances, I'm like you and accept my limited knowledge of running a football club, and just have faith that those in charge have the best interests of the club at heart.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:24 am
Max Thompson made a lovely JayRodesque dummy to set up Mumbongos first against West Brom.
No more round pegs in square holes. We've blooded quite a few youngsters this season for cameo roles, it's time to give one of them the chance to step up for a full game. Dwight only got his place under the same circumstances, and it worked out, maybe this will as well.
Some of the biggest improvements that have been made on the pitch over the last few years have actually been forced upon us.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:10 pm

bobinho wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 pm
Some of the biggest improvements that have been made on the pitch over the last few years have actually been forced upon us.
Max Thompson is a good player at U23 level in an advanced right-side position.
I don't think he has any defensive qualities whatsoever (why should he, he is a forward?) even at the level he's playing at now.
I'm also surprised at posters who think that Pieters can do so much better at wide right than Brownhill, neither are really any good out there.

DycheAlmighty
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by DycheAlmighty » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:18 pm

I think that could prove counter productive. He is a very good crosser of the ball, that we know, but that's because there is less pressure on the full back when putting a ball in. Where as you get a Dwight who'll have winger and full back blocking the delivery, he rolls it back to Lowton who has that bit more time. I think it might be worth trying Dwight on the right hand side again. Don't get me wrong, he's not looked as good there in the past, but at least he's cutting into his natural foot, where as now he's running into trouble on his right coming in. You could get Pieters on the left covering Taylor, allowing him to bomb on.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:25 pm

As of SSN today, Brownhill still leads the league in terms of interceptions
Westwood and Cork would appear to be almost guaranteed their starts so Brownhill has to play WR
Unless we change to a midfield five with all three of them central

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:25 pm
As of SSN today, Brownhill still leads the league in terms of interceptions
Westwood and Cork would appear to be almost guaranteed their starts so Brownhill has to play WR
Unless we change to a midfield five with all three of them central
I would honestly give Jay Rod a go on the right. He certainly has the defensive capabilities and he would actually give us an outlet. Try wood and Vydra up top with Jay on the right

Mala591
Been Liked: 684 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 pm

4-3-2-1 is another possibility with a 3 man ‘narrow’ central midfield where all three midfielders are at the heart of the action

....................Pope
Lowton.....Tarks.....Mee.....Taylor
......Brownhill Westwood Cork
Rodriguez.....................McNeil
....................Wood

This would reduce (not eliminate) the defensive responsibilities of Rodriguez and McNeil

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 pm
4-3-2-1 is another possibility with a 3 man ‘narrow’ central midfield where all three midfielders are at the heart of the action

....................Pope
Lowton.....Tarks.....Mee.....Taylor
......Brownhill Westwood Cork
Rodriguez.....................McNeil
....................Wood

This would reduce (not eliminate) the defensive responsibilities of Rodriguez and McNeil
Have you ever worked in football as a coach or manager at any level Mala cos you seem to have some very good ideas and a lot of good insght around tactics and team selection.

I notice a lot of posters aren't knowledgeable enough to take in and appreciate your way of thinking and as a result just make bitchy comments towards you but I value your input and I would be surprised if you haven't been involved in this side of the game at some stage in your life