Average age details this season, maybe summer will address this

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Average age details this season, maybe summer will address this

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 am

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier ... bewerb/GB1

AVERAGE AGE DETAILS

Burnley – 28.4
Dwight McNeil is the only player under the age of 26 to make five or more Premier League appearances for Sean Dyche’s side this season.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: Average age details this season, maybe summer will address this

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am

I'm not getting my hopes up. Dyche clearly prefers working with experienced players, and I'm not sure we can afford to sign younger players.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am

Josh Brownhill is 25.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am

Josh Benson made 6 appearances this season.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 am

But other than that .... yeah .... sound.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3110 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am

I really can’t understand the concern about players ages. What matters is how they’re performing on the pitch.

What Burnley need to keep out-performing is experienced professionals. Pieters yesterday being a prime example.

One or two exciting younger players wouldn’t go amiss, but the general make up of our squad should be based on experience.
These 4 users liked this post: LeadBelly Bosscat huw.Y.WattfromWare DAVETHEVICAR

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:21 am

I can't imagine a young 21 year old coming off the bench and making the kind of contribution Pieters made yesterday
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am
I really can’t understand the concern about players ages. What matters is how they’re performing on the pitch.

What Burnley need to keep out-performing is experienced professionals. Pieters yesterday being a prime example.

One or two exciting younger players wouldn’t go amiss, but the general make up of our squad should be based on experience.
It’s a concern because it’s something that needs regulating if you allowed it go unchecked it would lead to more tired performances & more injuries, it’s not a problem just here other clubs have similar problems, cheaper recruitment & ageing players usually go hand in hand, the youth will hopefully kick on as they get bedded in & shave some years off as the older pros eventually retire, because I don’t see a strategy existing in the form of spending millions on younger established pros adequate for this level on the horizon.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:23 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am

Had we waited until Ward was no longer good enough we wouldnt have a left back of Charlie Taylor's standard now.

Getting ourselves in positions where we need a player to come straight into the first team limits our ability to get someone in with massive potential who might need 12-18 months development before Dyche can trust and rely on him to start week in and week out

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 am

Socrates wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am
Josh Benson made 6 appearances this season.
Benson has played as an absolute last resort when there was nobody else fit.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 am

I agree that Dyche likes to work with/build trust with players. I like how he makes them earn the shirt.

We don’t have to replace every ageing player with a younger one though. In some scenarios we might just look to replace with more experience. I thought we might’ve gone for Clyne, Dawson, etc in summer for that reason.

It’d be great if we had invested in quality young players over the last 2-3 years so we had some coming through but the reality is we haven’t. And it’s unlikely in the current climate that we’ll get masses to invest in all the gaps our underinvestment has created so we’ll need to box clever with signing older players/ooc players.

I think we’ll always be a team that only has 2-3 <25s in the first team though. That or we’ll be in the Championship. I know what I’d rather.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:54 am
Benson has played as an absolute last resort when there was nobody else fit.

That’s not the point.

The “fact” or “statistic” was that Dwight McNeil is the only player under 26 to have played more than 5 times in the Premier this season.

It’s wrong.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Socrates wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm
That’s not the point.

The “fact” or “statistic” was that Dwight McNeil is the only player under 26 to have played more than 5 times in the Premier this season.

It’s wrong.
Fair enough, I thought your point was aimed more at me rather than the op.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:07 pm
Fair enough, I thought your point was aimed more at me rather than the op.

Apologies. Should have been clearer. My fault.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 am
I agree that Dyche likes to work with/build trust with players. I like how he makes them earn the shirt.

We don’t have to replace every ageing player with a younger one though. In some scenarios we might just look to replace with more experience. I thought we might’ve gone for Clyne, Dawson, etc in summer for that reason.

It’d be great if we had invested in quality young players over the last 2-3 years so we had some coming through but the reality is we haven’t. And it’s unlikely in the current climate that we’ll get masses to invest in all the gaps our underinvestment has created so we’ll need to box clever with signing older players/ooc players.

I think we’ll always be a team that only has 2-3 <25s in the first team though. That or we’ll be in the Championship. I know what I’d rather.
That's fair enough, but we have to be careful we don't end up with too many key men all starting to decline at the same time and leaving us with a big rebuilding job.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 pm
That's fair enough, but we have to be careful we don't end up with too many key men all starting to decline at the same time and leaving us with a big rebuilding job.
For me, prime age for a footballer is 27-32. Some can go on much longer, but I don’t think we have TOO many at the top end of that bracket, so it doesn’t concern me that we have an impending catastrophe.

I’d also question the role of investment in our Academy/U23’s if that isn’t at least in part playing a role in developing talent to replace our ageing players.

Worth also remembering that each season there’s a surprise each season; Dwight’s emergence a few seasons back, Lowton’s form this year, etc.

As I say, I can’t see our ability to be more active in the market changing dramatically and we may need to be really proactive in the ooc market.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:51 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 am
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier ... bewerb/GB1

AVERAGE AGE DETAILS

Burnley – 28.4
Dwight McNeil is the only player under the age of 26 to make five or more Premier League appearances for Sean Dyche’s side this season.
Given all the new extended contracts we have given out this season that average age will only go up further

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 am
We had one yesterday and look at the age of most of the guys on the bench

This ageing squad will come to bite us sooner rather than later

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1184 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:03 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 pm
For me, prime age for a footballer is 27-32. Some can go on much longer, but I don’t think we have TOO many at the top end of that bracket, so it doesn’t concern me that we have an impending catastrophe.

I’d also question the role of investment in our Academy/U23’s if that isn’t at least in part playing a role in developing talent to replace our ageing players.

Worth also remembering that each season there’s a surprise each season; Dwight’s emergence a few seasons back, Lowton’s form this year, etc.

As I say, I can’t see our ability to be more active in the market changing dramatically and we may need to be really proactive in the ooc market.
You can’t put all your eggs in 1 basket banking on favourable circumstances remaining the same, the emergence of Dwight might only happen once in a blue moon & lowtons form which could go south at the drop of a hat, it’s not at the point of a “impending catastrophe” yet but if the course remains the same the chances are more likely the situation will be grim than rosy. The upcoming players need to match ability wise at the level of the older pros as ability wise it diminishes then you maintain that level you need. Temporary plugs aren’t the answer it will eventually catch up.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 pm

I blame champ manager for this obsession with age. To win at that game you bought loads of bright young things (knowing which ones matured well). Then when they matured you were unbeatable. However young players in real life are a little more unpredictable. We could bring 2-3 younger players in... but for them to be as good as the older ones we have they are going to be very expensive.