Remembering Ben Lee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Remembering Ben Lee

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:54 am

And let's not forget.......

💔 Remembering Burnley FC apprentice footballer, Ben Lee, who died 29 years ago in tragic circumstances at Turf Moor

The 17 year old youth team player fell through the roof of the old Longside terrace, after going to retrieve a football.

RIP Ben Lee
FB_IMG_1615290722326.jpg
FB_IMG_1615290722326.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
These 7 users liked this post: Herts Clarets Claret Till I Die Zlatan basil6345789 Aclaret Juan Tanamera bfcjg

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Remembering Ben Lee

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Our away game at York planned for that evening was postponed as a mark of respect. I cycled home from work to go to the game with my Dad only to read on teletext the tragic news. RIP Ben Lee

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Tragic indeed

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:55 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:21 pm
Our away game at York planned for that evening was postponed as a mark of respect. I cycled home from work to go to the game with my Dad only to read on teletext the tragic news. RIP Ben Lee
The York game was planned for the following night. I remember driving into work on the morning of the York game and hearing the news of Ben on the radio.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Never to be forgotten. An entertaining season was put on hold for a few days when news broke of this tragedy. Hard to believe 29 years have passed since. RIP Ben Lee and sincere thoughts to his family and friends.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm

Rest in peace Ben.

It still doesn't make any sense him going up for a football, but this weekends tragic events have reminded everyone how dangerous retreiving footballs can be.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Very tragic. Hard to imagine he would have been 46 years old now. It's good that we continue to remember him. Rest in peace Ben.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 pm

beddie wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 pm
Very tragic. Hard to imagine he would have been 46 years old now. It's good that we continue to remember him. Rest in peace Ben.
And still a young man with lots left to live for....so sad.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 pm

I'll always remember Ben Lee. The emotions of York would never have happened if only he hadn't gone to retrieve that ball as a souvenir.
In the summer that followed our 4th Division championship season, I went to Portugal with my mates for a lads holiday to celebrate finishing A-Levels.
I had my Burnley shirt on in a bar and a Dutch gentleman came over to me with tears in his eyes - he recognised my shirt and started to talk to me about Burnley and naturally, a few beers in, I loved the fact that a Dutch fella from The Hague recognised Burnley.
After a bit of chat, it surfaced that Erik (as I soon learned his name) was a personal friend of Ben Lee, as his sister was dating him at the time of his tragic death. It was a pretty mad coincidence. I got drunk with Erik pretty much every night for the rest of our holiday and the following October he visited England and Turf Moor to stay with Ben's family in Knutsford. We kept in touch and Ben's Dad, Richard, organised Bob Lord hospitality tickets for not just me, but my two brothers and two mates, so we could hang out with Erik.
We beat Fulham 5-2 that day and through Erik - and Richard - we were treated royally in the players lounge after the game, meeting Jimmy Mullen and John Deary. Jimmy was ace and spent loads of time with us but the star of the day was Frank Teasdale. He gave us all a tour of the hallowed corridors and made a real fuss of our Dutch visitor long after Richard had departed. We took Erik out for some beers in Clitheroe before driving him back to the Lee residence the following day. Visiting Ben's home in Cheshire and being made so welcome by his family was really surreal. I never knew him but I was practically the same age at the time and the tragedy became more overwhelming these months later.
The following Christmas we even got a personalised Christmas card from Frank, which spoke volumes for his affable nature (I certainly felt a pang of guilt for calling him 'Teasdale Out' those years before :) The whole experience was something that could only happen being a Burnley fan. RIP Ben x
These 6 users liked this post: Aclaret mdd2 groove cricketfieldclarets DCWat Rowls

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Remember this as a terrible day for the club at the time,RIP Ben

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:32 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 pm
I'll always remember Ben Lee. The emotions of York would never have happened if only he hadn't gone to retrieve that ball as a souvenir.
In the summer that followed our 4th Division championship season, I went to Portugal with my mates for a lads holiday to celebrate finishing A-Levels.
I had my Burnley shirt on in a bar and a Dutch gentleman came over to me with tears in his eyes - he recognised my shirt and started to talk to me about Burnley and naturally, a few beers in, I loved the fact that a Dutch fella from The Hague recognised Burnley.
After a bit of chat, it surfaced that Erik (as I soon learned his name) was a personal friend of Ben Lee, as his sister was dating him at the time of his tragic death. It was a pretty mad coincidence. I got drunk with Erik pretty much every night for the rest of our holiday and the following October he visited England and Turf Moor to stay with Ben's family in Knutsford. We kept in touch and Ben's Dad, Richard, organised Bob Lord hospitality tickets for not just me, but my two brothers and two mates, so we could hang out with Erik.
We beat Fulham 5-2 that day and through Erik - and Richard - we were treated royally in the players lounge after the game, meeting Jimmy Mullen and John Deary. Jimmy was ace and spent loads of time with us but the star of the day was Frank Teasdale. He gave us all a tour of the hallowed corridors and made a real fuss of our Dutch visitor long after Richard had departed. We took Erik out for some beers in Clitheroe before driving him back to the Lee residence the following day. Visiting Ben's home in Cheshire and being made so welcome by his family was really surreal. I never knew him but I was practically the same age at the time and the tragedy became more overwhelming these months later.
The following Christmas we even got a personalised Christmas card from Frank, which spoke volumes for his affable nature (I certainly felt a pang of guilt for calling him 'Teasdale Out' those years before :) The whole experience was something that could only happen being a Burnley fan. RIP Ben x
Great story.....TB Frank he was known as out.

groove
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 545 times

Post by groove » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm
Rest in peace Ben.

It still doesn't make any sense him going up for a football, but this weekends tragic events have reminded everyone how dangerous retreiving footballs can be.
I don't think it was an ordinary football. If memory serves me right it was an international ball used by the England schoolboys who had played a fixture on the Turf in the few days before. Absolutely tragedy RIP young man.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 am

Cubanclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 pm
Great story.

Remember the incident well.

Even now it’s hard to comprehend how and why he went up there. :-(

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:19 am

The next game we played after the tragedy that occurred mid week was the following Saturday at home to Halifax. We should have won the game comfortably but it was a real struggle and a goal from John Pender in the 2nd half eventually got us the win. I mention this because I was in my usual place on the Longside and a friend I travelled with to games seemed to spend the whole game whinging and complaining about our performance whereas I was very aware of how this dreadful accident must have affected everyone connected with the club; just above where we stood was a patched up area of the roof serving as a reminder if ever it was needed.
When we scored the goal I was so relieved and happy for that to remain the final score so that we could all go home and reflect on what had occured in the last few days. We're all unique and respond differently to certain situations but I always felt that particular game was just one to get through and continue to think of Ben Lee, his family,friends and team mates. Again, RIP Ben.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Claret Till I Die

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Even now it’s hard to comprehend how and why he went up there.

Something to do no doubt with being young and never thinking of death as being near. I remember reading of the event and of how a promising career was so tragically ended. I have never seen a photo of Ben so am grateful to be able to put a picture to the name as like many on here I still think of him and the sadness of it all for his family.

The sentiments are the same as all those expressed on here. May he Rest in Peace.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm

I remember looking up at the patch in the roof of the Longside where he fell through and just thought why did you do it? The patch was evident until the Longside was demolished, threads like this ensure the memory of the poor lad is maintained.
RIP Ben.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Not quite sure of the connection but saw a commemorative plaque at the Children’s Adventure Farm Trust only last week. Strange that the post followed so soon after.

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:50 am

News traveled much slower back then. I got close to Bootham Crescent for the match, and was confused that the streets were empty. Learned about the tragedy from a sign outside the newsagent.