The Run In

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clive40golf
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Re: The Run In

Post by clive40golf » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am

I think the reason so many Burnley fans want Brighton to be relegated stems back a few years. Brighton fans came to the turf with buckets, asking for contributions from us to help save their club. The reason they chose us was the then chairman had some connections with brfc. If I remember rightly, as us clarets do, we gave generously ( over 4K seems to ring bells) and then several seasons later, they look down on us as something they need to wipe off their shoe.
I for one, would like to see them go, and I’d like my £2 back.
This user liked this post: bobinho

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Not a bad weekend, all things considered
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat Burnley Ace Dark Cloud Woodleyclaret tiger76

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 pm

It's still one game at a time for me. Today was a reality check for us about switching off when we were in a commanding position. The lessons learned from today's game should stand us in good stead for the remaining games this season.
This user liked this post: EricaJacko

EricaJacko
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by EricaJacko » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Looking at Brighton's remaining games. That is tough. Could they go down?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 pm

I feel we will beat both Uniteds in the next 2 games

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Burnley, Brighton, Fulham drew blanks, only Newcastle scraped a lucky home point. That’s the likelihood at the bottom of the league, 7/8 more similar outcomes in store!?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:24 pm

We could and should have been effectively safe 30 minutes into today’s game.

That is galling.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:40 pm

leelad wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 pm
It's still one game at a time for me. Today was a reality check for us about switching off when we were in a commanding position. The lessons learned from today's game should stand us in good stead for the remaining games this season.
Yes if we can take anything from today it's hopefully been the kick up the backside we needed if complacency was creeping in, and I fully expect a response come the Newcastle game.

TheFish
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 am

CleggHall wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:10 pm
Burnley, Brighton, Fulham drew blanks, only Newcastle scraped a lucky home point. That’s the likelihood at the bottom of the league, 7/8 more similar outcomes in store!?
To be fair, we were unlucky to only get a point against a really poor Spurs team. Gayle, Joelinton, Almiron all had good chances to score. We were much the better team for most of the game because Mourinho's a busted flush.

That performance makes it all the more frustrating that we're in the mire. If we'd played half as good as that against teams as bad as us, we'd not be in the relegation conversation. Losses to Sheffield, Leeds and Brighton, draws with WBA, Fulham, etc. All because Bruce is too afraid of losing to bottom half teams to set us up to win those games.

We deserve to go down, we're just a bloody awful football side right now. Despite having some decent players, and a defenders that, 2 years ago, were one of the meanest in the league.

Don't think any Premier League side would have appointed Bruce in the first place, and certainly none would have him now.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am

TheFish wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 am
That performance makes it all the more frustrating that we're in the mire. If we'd played half as good as that against teams as bad as us, we'd not be in the relegation conversation. Losses to Sheffield, Leeds and Brighton, draws with WBA, Fulham, etc. All because Bruce is too afraid of losing to bottom half teams to set us up to win those games.
That’s been the way for many others. Very strange season with covid. Far too many injuries for all clubs and no crowds has taken away so much home advantage. Bruce is a great Championship manager but can’t cut it in the PL.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:18 am

I think the current bottom three will drop. WBA have too much to do and when Scott Parker admits Fulham are not Streetwise enough against the likes of Villa you know they haven't got the experience to grind out results.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:45 am

Fulham could leapfrog Newcastle tomorrow night. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons and increase the pressure on Newcastle against us.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 am

The Newc game is huge for us , a win will see us pretty much safe but a loss will put us right in the struggle . Newcastle are the weakest team we’ve played (IMO) having only that big black skilful guy who scored their goals ,then went off knackered , Maxim?? We need to keep punching above our weight as Soton brushed us aside with ease

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am
That’s been the way for many others. Very strange season with covid. Far too many injuries for all clubs and no crowds has taken away so much home advantage. Bruce is a great Championship manager but can’t cut it in the PL.
Not sure he's even as good as that any more. Couldn't get Aston Villa promoted with the most expensively assembled team in Championship history.
dibraidio wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:45 am
Fulham could leapfrog Newcastle tomorrow night. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons and increase the pressure on Newcastle against us.
They'd have to win by 4 goals to go above us, but I take your point.
AlargeClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 am
The Newc game is huge for us , a win will see us pretty much safe but a loss will put us right in the struggle . Newcastle are the weakest team we’ve played (IMO) having only that big black skilful guy who scored their goals ,then went off knackered , Maxim?? We need to keep punching above our weight as Soton brushed us aside with ease
We're definitely one of the worst teams in the league, but the players are all right.

We've more to our game than Saint-Maximin, not least Callum Wilson. If he's fit and gets service he'll score goals. In Almiron, ASM, Willock and the wingbacks we've plenty of players who can provide a bit of service. It just depends how Bruce sets us up. He's been terrified of teams in the bottom half. Preferring to set us up not-to-lose, rather than going for the win.

We meekly rolled over for Sheffield when they'd not won a game all season, and hadn't even kept a clean sheet. 5 at the back, no creativity in the middle and Wilson up front on his own. Awful stuff, even before we went a man down.

Same stuff for West Brom, Brighton, Fulham, etc.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Only an argumentative person would disagree with you that Bruce is an awful manager . Leaving him in place is a baffling decision . Do you think Ashley has left him in place hoping he takes you down? I’m thinking of the failed PL Buy Out

dibraidio

Post by dibraidio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

TheFish wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 pm
Not sure he's even as good as that any more. Couldn't get Aston Villa promoted with the most expensively assembled team in Championship history.

They'd have to win by 4 goals to go above us, but I take your point.

We're definitely one of the worst teams in the league, but the players are all right.

We've more to our game than Saint-Maximin, not least Callum Wilson. If he's fit and gets service he'll score goals. In Almiron, ASM, Willock and the wingbacks we've plenty of players who can provide a bit of service. It just depends how Bruce sets us up. He's been terrified of teams in the bottom half. Preferring to set us up not-to-lose, rather than going for the win.

We meekly rolled over for Sheffield when they'd not won a game all season, and hadn't even kept a clean sheet. 5 at the back, no creativity in the middle and Wilson up front on his own. Awful stuff, even before we went a man down.

Same stuff for West Brom, Brighton, Fulham, etc.
Why would they need to win by 4? Fulham's goal difference is better than yours.
If you look at the form table over the last 8 games, Brighton have 8, Newcastle have 7 points, Fulham have 11 (but just 7 games left, 10 points from their last 7). If they all continue on current form the table ends:

Burnley 43
Brighton 40
Newcastle 36
Fulham 36
West Brom 30
Sheff Utd 17

It could all come down to that last game 23rd May Fulham v Newcastle.

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm
Why would they need to win by 4? Fulham's goal difference is better than yours.
If you look at the form table over the last 8 games, Brighton have 8, Newcastle have 7 points, Fulham have 11 (but just 7 games left, 10 points from their last 7). If they all continue on current form the table ends:

Burnley 43
Brighton 40
Newcastle 36
Fulham 36
West Brom 30
Sheff Utd 17

It could all come down to that last game 23rd May Fulham v Newcastle.
You're right, wasn't paying attention.

Yeah they could leapfrog us tomorrow. However, if they lose to Wolves and we get a point or better at Turf Moor I'd expect us to stay up. I dunno, it's close, closer than it ever should have been. This squad is good enough to be a solid safe-but-bottom-half side.

funny, last summer we were all excited about possibly being one of the richest clubs in the world, with Pochettino managing us, a bunch of exciting players to watch and eyes firmly on the top half. Now, we're talking about "Would we have enough to get back up from the Championship?".

How are your new owners looking?

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:34 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm
Only an argumentative person would disagree with you that Bruce is an awful manager . Leaving him in place is a baffling decision . Do you think Ashley has left him in place hoping he takes you down? I’m thinking of the failed PL Buy Out
I've heard that, but it's just a conspiracy theory. Being relegated would wipe £100m off the asking price, there's no guarantee the Saudis are still interested, let alone if we're a 2nd tier club, and the issues regarding who will actually be the owner (PIF or KSA) would remain.

Nah, Bruce is still here because Ashley is gambling that we'll have enough to stay up because we're 3pts and 1 game better off than Fulham. Similar to the time with Carver where a win against West Ham on the final day of the 14/15 season. He rolled the dice too much the first time we went down, too late the second, so this time he's hoping that making no change at all, will be enough.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Some fans are excited , some are scared to death! A lot never imagined that there would be so much debt attached to it

In Keegans time Newcastle were everyone’s second team. Our new owners want Burnley to be everyone’s second favourite team . In these difficult times for Newcastle do you think Burnley could be what the new owners want? Speak honestly rather than diplomatically. At worse you’ll only get a few cavemen rattling their clubs

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Honestly? No. Newcastle were everybody's favourite team because Keegan lead an expensively assembled side on an unsustainable whirlwind from the bottom of the 2nd tier, to the very summit of the top flight, all the while playing some ridiculous football. But that was when it wasn't a closed shop. Even if the new owners install a charismatic manager, that has you playing cavalier football, you'll be lucky to get 6th, let alone pushing for the title. The big clubs of the early 90s weren't so far out of reach as they are now. To compete with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, you need to consistently spend a lot, and spend it well over a few years.

Look at Leicester, they're arguably the closest approximation to that, and despite their entirely unlikely title, they're not likely to properly challenge for the title again any time soon. A couple of transfers not working out, big players getting injured, or just a season of bad luck and they could find they've lost ground again.

Also, with all due respect, you don't have the appeal that brings in the managers, the players, the commercial revenue, the sponsorship deals. You're competing with 4 massive clubs in the North West and major investment will always go to Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool or Everton. If Leeds can sustain their improvement, it could be argued that they're a more attractive club than you are. I'm not having a go, that's just my opinion as an outsider.

Even if the new owners fancy throwing money at the squad it's no guarantee of success (Fulham, QPR, Everton, etc.), and FFP will stop your owners splashing the cash as Man City and Chelsea did.

Best you can hope for is that the owners put things in place so that you're an established top half side who can compete for the cups, and occasionally take advantage of an 'elite' clubs' poor season to get back into Europe. But that's true of all clubs unless something seismic happens to English football.

For balance, there was excitement that the Saudis would turn us into some goliath of football, but honestly, we're not as attractive as a London club, or a North West club. Newcastle is lovely, but it's not the metropolis of the capital and it's 3hrs on a train. We've a run down training centre, an academy that's not seen investment for a decade, an ageing stadium that's covered in Sportstat adverts. Every player would need compensating for that, every manager would need convincing, the investment needed to make us anything more than a top half side is eye-watering.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret bobinho

simonclaret
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 3596 times

Post by simonclaret » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Can't argue with any of that!

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:25 am

TheFish wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm
Honestly? No. Newcastle were everybody's favourite team because Keegan lead an expensively assembled side on an unsustainable whirlwind from the bottom of the 2nd tier, to the very summit of the top flight, all the while playing some ridiculous football. But that was when it wasn't a closed shop. Even if the new owners install a charismatic manager, that has you playing cavalier football, you'll be lucky to get 6th, let alone pushing for the title. The big clubs of the early 90s weren't so far out of reach as they are now. To compete with the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, you need to consistently spend a lot, and spend it well over a few years.

Look at Leicester, they're arguably the closest approximation to that, and despite their entirely unlikely title, they're not likely to properly challenge for the title again any time soon. A couple of transfers not working out, big players getting injured, or just a season of bad luck and they could find they've lost ground again.

Also, with all due respect, you don't have the appeal that brings in the managers, the players, the commercial revenue, the sponsorship deals. You're competing with 4 massive clubs in the North West and major investment will always go to Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool or Everton. If Leeds can sustain their improvement, it could be argued that they're a more attractive club than you are. I'm not having a go, that's just my opinion as an outsider.

Even if the new owners fancy throwing money at the squad it's no guarantee of success (Fulham, QPR, Everton, etc.), and FFP will stop your owners splashing the cash as Man City and Chelsea did.

Best you can hope for is that the owners put things in place so that you're an established top half side who can compete for the cups, and occasionally take advantage of an 'elite' clubs' poor season to get back into Europe. But that's true of all clubs unless something seismic happens to English football.

For balance, there was excitement that the Saudis would turn us into some goliath of football, but honestly, we're not as attractive as a London club, or a North West club. Newcastle is lovely, but it's not the metropolis of the capital and it's 3hrs on a train. We've a run down training centre, an academy that's not seen investment for a decade, an ageing stadium that's covered in Sportstat adverts. Every player would need compensating for that, every manager would need convincing, the investment needed to make us anything more than a top half side is eye-watering.
Well I never. An opposition fan, posts on an opposition fan’s message board with respect, honesty and absolute accuracy. What you say is absolutely correct, look how hard it has been for Everton to get anywhere near the top 4 and The Champion’s League; Arsenal are arguably the new Everton. By the time I have grandchildren to bore (I am only 43) I think we’ll find the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool playing in a European league. The NFL covers a not dissimilar area to Europe, so it’s inevitable.

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:59 am

It's refreshing to get another view from a fan of another club. Although I still hold resentment for 74 FA Cup semi final, I don't mind Newcastle. I agree with pretty much all of what you've said, thanks for your input. We love our club just like you love yours, and probably all the other supporters of their own clubs feel the same way. With all the money being thrown at some clubs it's definitely losing some of it's appeal, If Burnley were relegated I would lose interest, I would still follow them but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. (well maybe a few nights). Let Brighton sink instead of the Magpies.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 am

One things for sure it will never be the case we can spend so much money that FFP will kick in. Not that FFP is a thing anymore anyway.
I think Burnley fans are eager to see what Dyche can do with some decent backing though. If he can turn lower division/relegated players from the prem into respected premier league players it would be great to see what he could do with players with more potential.

Of course that's on the premise he stays and he doesn't turn out to be another relegation expert like Allardyce.

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:45 am

Dunno if you've heard but the Newcastle Supporters Trust has launched a scheme to have Newcastle fans invest whatever they feel comfortable with into a trust fund. The fund is there to a) buy a stake in the club if the opportunity arises, b) buy out the club should we tumble down the leagues and need rescuing (I don't mean into the Championship, more League 2 and into administration.) or, c) if there's insufficient growth in the fund or no opportunity to buy shares during a takeover the money will be donated to local charities.

Wonder what your thoughts are on that?

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 am

TheFish wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:45 am
Dunno if you've heard but the Newcastle Supporters Trust has launched a scheme to have Newcastle fans invest whatever they feel comfortable with into a trust fund. The fund is there to a) buy a stake in the club if the opportunity arises, b) buy out the club should we tumble down the leagues and need rescuing (I don't mean into the Championship, more League 2 and into administration.) or, c) if there's insufficient growth in the fund or no opportunity to buy shares during a takeover the money will be donated to local charities.

Wonder what your thoughts are on that?
Option C most likely. All the recent major takeovers by the big hitters have cut the fans out entirely. It would then just be a paper exercise. As for option B how long would the capital be held before reverting to option C?

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 am

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 am
Option C most likely. All the recent major takeovers by the big hitters have cut the fans out entirely. It would then just be a paper exercise. As for option B how long would the capital be held before reverting to option C?
Oh definitely option C is the most likely.

Quotes from the Trust suggest that they'll keep reviewing it over the next year or so and if the fund doesn't grow, they'll shut it down and donate the cash.

I'd expect the fund to grow sufficiently over the next year or so, especially as Shearer and other ex-players have thrown their weight behind it. So, that Trust fund should continue to grow incrementally and similar to Hearts, should the valuation of the club ever fall sufficiently to bring it into the reach of that fund, there's cash there. Instead of waiting until too late and scrabbling around to save the club. Hopefully this is insurance against a Bury situation.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

dibraidio

Post by dibraidio » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 am
It's interesting to look at what has happened to clubs who became fan owned. Bournemouth have done pretty well since being bought by the fans, obviously that's due to the new ownership but of course fans are much more concerned about the long term.

Portsmouth were fan owned from 2013 to 2017, they eventually sold their shares to a company owned by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. In an article in the Guardian he described the Portsmouth Supporters Trust as being 'like an abused child', scared of new owners due to the chain of terrible owners they'd had in the past. I find it slightly distasteful that he called his company Tornante which is a french word that google translates as gang-rape.

Wimbledon is slightly different in that they started from scratch but the Dons trust have every intention of maintaining ownership of the club.

Archer
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 146 times

Post by Archer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 am

dibraidio wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am
It's interesting to look at what has happened to clubs who became fan owned. Bournemouth have done pretty well since being bought by the fans, obviously that's due to the new ownership but of course fans are much more concerned about the long term.

Portsmouth were fan owned from 2013 to 2017, they eventually sold their shares to a company owned by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. In an article in the Guardian he described the Portsmouth Supporters Trust as being 'like an abused child', scared of new owners due to the chain of terrible owners they'd had in the past. I find it slightly distasteful that he called his company Tornante which is a french word that google translates as gang-rape.

Wimbledon is slightly different in that they started from scratch but the Dons trust have every intention of maintaining ownership of the club.
I imagine he was using the Italian word

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:29 am

Have to say The Fish is bang on the money with what he/she says , sounds a very level headed person with a love for the game and can see clearly .

TheFish

Post by TheFish » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:43 am

dibraidio wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am

Funny you should mention the Dons. Used to go watch them with friends when I lived in London. Got to see a couple of promotions and actually saw them promoted to the League at the Etihad in 2011.

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 pm

Update.
1596FBBE-2630-48E6-B909-2C4ECDD948AA.jpeg
1596FBBE-2630-48E6-B909-2C4ECDD948AA.jpeg (234.5 KiB) Viewed 2702 times

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:18 pm

I still would rather be in our boots than Fulham’s or Newcastle’s looking at the next 3 games...

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:18 pm
I still would rather be in our boots than Fulham’s or Newcastle’s looking at the next 3 games...
That win for Newcastle today has made Fulham's task extremely difficult now, and I honestly can't see them getting out of the bottom 3 now, plus any lingering hope West Brom had has surely been extinguished now.

We're pretty much safe despite our last 2 results, however it would be nice to rack up a win or two prior to the end of the campaign, and maybe climb a place or two.
This user liked this post: Jimmymaccer

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 pm
That win for Newcastle today has made Fulham's task extremely difficult now, and I honestly can't see them getting out of the bottom 3 now, plus any lingering hope West Brom had has surely been extinguished now.

We're pretty much safe despite our last 2 results, however it would be nice to rack up a win or two prior to the end of the campaign, and maybe climb a place or two.
If any team are likely to put a run together it's West Brom.

Win tonight against Southampton and they are only two points behind Fulham with a game in hand.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am
If any team are likely to put a run together it's West Brom.

Win tonight against Southampton and they are only two points behind Fulham with a game in hand.
Even a win tonight won't help them much, they'd still be 8 points adrift of Brighton & Newcastle with games rapidly running out for them to close that sizable gap, so even a victory tonight would probably need them having to win 4 out of their last 7 games, that's a tall order considering they've only won 4 games all season.

They might still have a chance of overhauling Fulham, but unless the last few weeks throws up a string of bizarre results the current bottom 3 are looking nailed on for the drop.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 am

I think we’re sleepwalking to the Championship tbh. I don’t feel we have enough to get anymore wins and West Brom have found something to give them hope.

tally
Been Liked: 175 times
Has Liked: 281 times

Post by tally » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:48 am

We have more than enough to to achieve safety this season. Motivation though and luck still will play a big part in the last few fixtures.
Who wants it the most? and who is prepared to slog it out to the bitter end?
It's panning out for an exciting end to what should have been (before the Corona crap and the bad start we had ) just another season of consolidation in the Prem.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 am
I think we’re sleepwalking to the Championship tbh. I don’t feel we have enough to get anymore wins and West Brom have found something to give them hope.
:D

What odds will you give me on West Brom going down and how much can I have with you ?

Likewise what odds will you give me on us staying up and how much can I have

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am

What odds will you give me on West Brom going down and how much can I have with you ?

Currently on Betfair WBA are trading at 1.07 and you can have £96 on and by my calculations your profit would be £6.72 and there would be commission to pay.

On the flip side Burnley are trading at at the highest price of 13 and you can have £4 on generating a profit of £48 less commissions, you can have 12.5 and you can put a maximum of £28 on generating a profit of £322 less commission.

So for those pessimistic souls lump on Burnley now for an outlay of £32 you can return £370 which will go a long way towards next year’s Championship ST

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 am

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am
Currently on Betfair WBA are trading at 1.07 and you can have £96 on and by my calculations your profit would be £6.72 and there would be commission to pay.

On the flip side Burnley are trading at at the highest price of 13 and you can have £4 on generating a profit of £48 less commissions, you can have 12.5 and you can put a maximum of £28 on generating a profit of £322 less commission.

So for those pessimistic souls lump on Burnley now for an outlay of £32 you can return £370 which will go a long way towards next year’s Championship ST

I am hoping Zlatan is that convinced he offers me better odds and says anything up to a grand :D

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:51 am

chart.png
chart.png (176.02 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Here is an interesting chart predicting we get 40 points after this weekends results

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:30 am

Even being generous to WBA, I can't see them getting more than 35 points. Their remaining games are;

Leicester (A) - maybe 1 point
Villa (A) - 1 point
Wolves (H) - 3 points
Arsenal (A) - 0 points
Liverpool (H) - 0 points
WHU (H) - 3 points
Leeds (A) - 3 points

As for Fulham, as long as we don't lose to them there's very little chance of them making up 7 points on their remaining 5 other games (which include Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U....all away).

Whilst I don't wish to seem complacent, one more win or three more draws should be enough (easily). If we can't get those 3 points from fixtures like Wolves, Fulham, Leeds and Sheff U then, as others say, we deserve to go down.

The real irony is that we might already have enough points and all this fretting might be for nothing anyhow......

UTC

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am

tally wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:48 am
We have more than enough to to achieve safety this season.
We've just lost to Southampton and Newcastle, two of our rivals. We played our best available team in those games.

We are in the relegation mix in that we must be the team at the moment that Fulham and WBA will target.

We may be nearly safe as those two teams have a lot to do, WBA in particular seem to be stirring. Sure they need to get three wins and a draw to overhaul us and it's hard to see where they will achieve that. I'm not complacent though.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 am

The Wolves game is the crucial one for us and gives us the best chance of being safe quickest. It also takes a lot of pressure off the Fulham game.
Lose to Wolves and we'll be needing to beat a side fighting for the Champions League, a local rival or win on the last day of the season - which would shred too many nerves

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am

If Fulham win against us Southampton and Newcastle that would give them 35 points. Just saying!

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am

I think all we need to do now is beat Fulham.

Anything else is a bonus.

It'll be between them and Newcastle to go down.

Incidentally, they play each other on the last game of the season. That'll be a good one for sure!

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am

I'll give no odds as I dont gamble. Just saying how I am concerned about our recent performances, more specifically our inability to do what we usually do so well - and thats not concede. I think its been covered on other threads as to the reasons (more expansive etc) but I do feel we may not have enough to drag ourselves up again whilst on a slump (which we are!)

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Quick look shows Burnley at 8/1 for the drop.

I would invite all those who are not convinced to post copies of their betting slips.

£50 would cover the cost of next years season ticket!!

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am
It'll be between them and Newcastle to go down.
With WBA only two points behind Fulham and a game in hand I suspect they will overtake them in the next few games.