Anthony Fairclough has moved on...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Anthony Fairclough has moved on...

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:41 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:56 pm
Why did Sid the Liverpool fan choose Burnley if nobody gives a monkey's?
Why do I see all the Man Utd and Liverpool fans who used to mock me for being a Burnley fan, on the Turf nowadays with their kids?

We have a golden ticket with new owners who look like will try and make use of it.

If they can't then there was absolutely no reason for them to buy the club.
You will always get the odd person, the ONLY way to become a worldwide big football club is to compete at the top table, we're a million miles away from that, we couldn't even qualify for the joke competition Europa League. The next generation of football fans will be more Man City than Man United fans because City have won more in the last decade.

Leeds are a pretty big club worldwide, Sidney was on here trying to tell me they were only big because the media reports they're a big club which is utter nonsense. They're a big club because they were competing for the big trophies. multiple European competition appearances, a Champions League semi final, top 5 in the Premier League 5 years in a row.

Nobody cares if you're scraping survival or finishing mid table, people only take notice if you're competing for trophies, playing in the Champions League or have world class players who people gravitate to.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:29 am
He's a rugby fan, like the huge majority of New Zealanders, that's my point. Having New Zealand's best player doesn't really provide such a big marketing opportunity. I've just checked his twitter account and you could fit all of his followers inside Old Trafford.
Like you could Burnleys youtube subscribers.

However Vizeh on the other hand has four times more than Burnley.

My point? An individual there has had more exposure and success on social media than a much bigger and well backed club. Potential is out there.

Burnley could even do a hell of a lot worse than collaberating with Vizeh for example. He isnt everyones cup of tea. But he is 'youtube famous'. Another example of where Burnley could tap into more new markets.

Social media is huge. Online gaming is huge and will continue to grow. Another major opportunity for us to expand our brand.

Selling shirts is a very very tiny fraction of the opportunity out there.

Growing our brand organically through other channels... Huge potential.

Sorry. Ive done what I said I wouldnt and returned to this thread. But I am passionate about BFC and know we have suffered for years of our own fans dumbing down the opportunity we have in front of us. On and off the field.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:45 am

Dyched wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:09 am
...........But before we start our quest to get the cowboys of New Mexico in Claret and Blue stetsons, let’s sort out the club shop with actual sellable stock first.
Have you met Big Dave? Actually wasn't his stetson pink?

How is he doing by the way? I only knew him from his posts on 'the other site'.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:54 am

KateR wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:54 pm
don't you think they did there hypothetical sums and business model alongside a rigorous risk assessment plan before they actually decide to buy BFC? As we all know they were looking at other clubs before BFC and stated openly there plans work regardless and even more telling, stated it would also work in the championship.
stating it would work in the Championship and actually making it work is two different things, if they were so confident in their model, why wouldn't they buy a Championship club for dirt cheap? Their actual business model is reliant upon Premier League income, which anyone could make work given we make profit every year and their idea isn't exactly to invest much in players (as Pace said ''why buy players who could get injured'').

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:00 am

Leeds are one of the biggest clubs in England because they’ve been marketed well over the last few decades. I’ve heard it all now!

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:54 am
stating it would work in the Championship and actually making it work is two different things, if they were so confident in their model, why wouldn't they buy a Championship club for dirt cheap? Their actual business model is reliant upon Premier League income, which anyone could make work given we make profit every year and their idea isn't exactly to invest much in players (as Pace said ''why buy players who could get injured'').
Why buy a Championship club for dirt cheap when you can get a Premier League one with so little personal cash outlay ;)
And even Premier League income doesn't guarantee a profit - ask West Ham
Their "model" has to increase current club revenues just to service the new debt as a minimum
This user liked this post: KateR

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:23 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:06 am
On the back of the season when we finished 7th, we missed a golden opportunity to gain new international fans from a pre season tour.
No, nothing to do with a pre season tour. :lol:

We missed a golden opportunity to gain new international fans by not reaching the knockout stages of the Europa League, nobody gives a toss we made it to round 3 of qualifying.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am
Why buy a Championship club for dirt cheap when you can get a Premier League one with so little personal cash outlay ;)
And even Premier League income doesn't guarantee a profit - ask West Ham
Their "model" has to increase current club revenues just to service the new debt as a minimum
True, why buy a failing business and prove you have the model to turn it around when you can buy an already profitable business with very little of your own money. Premier League income doesn't guarantee profit for everyone, for us it does though.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am

Winstonswhite wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:00 am
Leeds are one of the biggest clubs in England because they’ve been marketed well over the last few decades. I’ve heard it all now!
They have though.
The narrative has been pushed for decades, the trophy cabinet clearly shows the reality.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am
True, why buy a failing business and prove you have the model to turn it around when you can buy an already profitable business with very little of your own money. Premier League income doesn't guarantee profit for everyone, for us it does though.
Venkys took over a financally failing business model and have been rinsed ever since.
Forest have had £170 million of debt wiped out during the last decade and have accrued another £32 million of debt.

Our owners have seen a business with zero debt, meaning they haven't got to worry about a ridiculously unmanageable wage bill and have decided this is the best place to implement their ideas.
Servicing any debt they've stuck on the club is going to be relatively easier than trying to reduce a clubs outgoings when it's wage bill is bigger than the incomings.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:43 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am
They have though.
The narrative has been pushed for decades, the trophy cabinet clearly shows the reality.
if you think Leeds are a big club because of a narrative, you're clearly uneducated. Imo Leeds have the best away following in the whole country.

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 am

He is obviously really well liked but this is one of those decisions that you have to take the emotion out of.

Commercially we are possible the weakest team in the league.

Website, shop, ticketing is absolutely crap and has been as long as I can remember.

Whilst our main sponsor is worth a good amount relative to other teams in the league, beyond that their is most certainly room for growth.

Our social media is boring, disengaging, bland and lacking any personality.

If we are going to compete in the PL we need to up the ante off the field. These guys know how to generate revenue so we need to trust them and let them do what they came to do.

Oldparkwood
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Oldparkwood » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm

"Whilst our main sponsor is worth a good amount relative to other teams in the league, beyond that their is most certainly room for growth."

Not when they don't pay for the privilege!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3162 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:47 pm

tom210 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm
"Whilst our main sponsor is worth a good amount relative to other teams in the league, beyond that their is most certainly room for growth."

Not when they don't pay for the privilege!
Was worth a good amount, not anymore by all accounts - we were fortunate to get a big chunk of the 3 year deal up front (if that story is true), which would have been some good negotiating by someone representing the club.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:43 am
if you think Leeds are a big club because of a narrative, you're clearly uneducated. Imo Leeds have the best away following in the whole country.
Great, well done on them, let's give them an award for that.
Meanwhile they're still not one of the biggest clubs in the country on merit.

The idea is pushed by the media and their fans alike, even when they were down in the championship and league one it was the narrative.

However, they have realised they needed to improve their revenue streams to enable them to compete and they've set about doing it really well.
Oddly, we've sat here trundling along not worrying about it until the new owners came in with a better vision.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:27 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm
Great, well done on them, let's give them an award for that.
Meanwhile they're still not one of the biggest clubs in the country on merit.

The idea is pushed by the media and their fans alike, even when they were down in the championship and league one it was the narrative.

However, they have realised they needed to improve their revenue streams to enable them to compete and they've set about doing it really well.
Oddly, we've sat here trundling along not worrying about it until the new owners came in with a better vision.
That's rubbish, Tottenham have shown you don't need to win trophies every year to remain a popular big club. Leeds won the last ever title before it changed to the Premier League. Football is generational, you don't think Leeds still have a ton of fans from when they were one of the best sides in the country between 97 and 2002? Leeds will still have fans from when they won 2 league titles in 5 years in the early 70s.

Between 93 and 2003 they appeared in European competition 7 times. including a Champions League semi final.

Leeds are a far bigger club than us and arguably always have been, they've won more trophies, appeared in European competition more times, have bigger attendances.

Competing and winning trophies breeds new fans, that continues through generations in the family. Leeds have been very successful in spells over the last 50 years.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:16 am
Why did Fosun buy Wolves?
your passionate mate and I love that, you also have a lot of knowledge, creativity and experience in what you have done and some of what you share with us.

On the subject of Fosun - and it is something I have gone into on a lot of detail on the MMT thread over the years - That move was driven by two things that have nothing to do with English football per se

- first and foremost was to win political favour back home when the Chinese Government announced it's 12th 5 year plan and stated it wanted to be a major football power the nuance on that story has changed and 50% of Chinese investors in European football have retreated with almost every other (apart from Fosun interestingly enough, though their spending has been reduced, it was never huge) looking to do the same.

- second was the hope of China being involved in HS2, the same reason why the Chinese first got involved in Aston Villa, West Brom and Birmingham City too - There was a huge diplomatic push on that from China in the Cameron years

- there may have been other issues for Chinese interests such as getting capital out of China and the reach of the government (not unlike we have seen from the Russians)

On a separate note, and I know you are aware of this but many will not be, Leeds are likely to be the best performing commercial operation outside the big six this season, their first in the top flight for 16 years or so. A fair bit of that know how has come from the San Francisco 49ers (who are now major investors in the club and may one day take it over, the plans they have for the next 5 - 10 years are huge and will likely see them either replace Arsenal in the six or it become a seven. I struggle to see Everton, West Ham and Leicester compete on the financial front without regular European qualification
Last edited by Chester Perry on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:43 am
Imo Leeds have the best away following in the whole country.
You spelt Manchester United wrong

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:02 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm
You spelt Manchester United wrong
Yeah or Man United, between the two.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:16 pm

As much as I don't like them I don't see how anyone can deny Leeds are a big club.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:35 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 am

My point? An individual there has had more exposure and success on social media than a much bigger and well backed club. Potential is out there.

Burnley could even do a hell of a lot worse than collaberating with Vizeh for example. He isnt everyones cup of tea. But he is 'youtube famous'. Another example of where Burnley could tap into more new markets.

Social media is huge. Online gaming is huge and will continue to grow. Another major opportunity for us to expand our brand.

Sorry. Ive done what I said I wouldnt and returned to this thread. But I am passionate about BFC and know we have suffered for years of our own fans dumbing down the opportunity we have in front of us. On and off the field.
This is an interesting one - the number of non-Burnley fans that subscribe to his channel just to watch him support his club is ridiculous, he sells a story his story and that is what the club needs to do more. It is not so much about the retail side for commercial growth more about telling a story that resonates and works with the one prospective commercial partners want to sell as well

I would also say that the person who is doing the best job of selling the club globally at the moment is not employed by the club and is not even a Burnley fan. Andy Jones at The Athletic, from his own curiosity and desire to understand his subject matter does more to tell the story of Burnley to none Burnley fans than absolutely anybody else, the lad is a godsend to our marketing department, they should be feeding him with stories, material and contacts - I am sure he will be working on something for the upcoming centenary.
These 4 users liked this post: KateR GodIsADeeJay81 Swizzlestick cricketfieldclarets

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:35 pm
This is an interesting one - the number of non-Burnley fans that subscribe to his channel just to watch him support his club is ridiculous, he sells a story his story and that is what the club needs to do more. It is not so much about the retail side for commercial growth more about telling a story that resonates and works with the one prospective commercial partners want to sell as well

I would also say that the person who is doing the best job of selling the club globally at the moment is not employed by the club and is not even a Burnley fan. Andy Jones at The Athletic, from his own curiosity and desire to understand his subject matter does more to tell the story of Burnley to none Burnley fans than absolutely anybody else, the lad is a godsend to our marketing department, they should be feeding him with stories, material and contacts - I am sure he will be working on something for the upcoming centenary.
Plenty of people keep track of what Arsenal TV does, just because it's potentially hilarious.
Fam, blud, bruv, innit.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:32 pm

I don't know how many Czechs would buy a Burnley shirt with Vydra on the back. What i do know, is it is practically impossible atm

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:12 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:32 pm
I don't know how many Czechs would buy a Burnley shirt with Vydra on the back. What i do know, is it is practically impossible atm
Again. Another potential untapped market. I did try back in the day to get Slavia on board 😂😂

But Wood is the interesting one. Highest paid sports star in New Zealand. National captain. Granted it’s ‘only’ New Zealand. But again. Must be some way to tap into that market out there.

South Korea fans are obsessed with their national captain at Spurs...
Attachments
6E245B4E-DA32-45EC-9F04-941A1BCAEEB3.jpeg
6E245B4E-DA32-45EC-9F04-941A1BCAEEB3.jpeg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Not sure if relevant to this thread with the club shop etc but Ella Cummins joined the club recently as Head of Global Partnerships - did an excellent job for Lancashire Cricket over the last few years and has been in and around the Premier League for a long time before that, hopefully a step in the right direction getting people of that calibre on board.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Milltown1882 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:28 pm
Not sure if relevant to this thread with the club shop etc but Ella Cummins joined the club recently as Head of Global Partnerships - did an excellent job for Lancashire Cricket over the last few years and has been in and around the Premier League for a long time before that, hopefully a step in the right direction getting people of that calibre on board.
That was the role advertised in the Summer, it was needed and I am glad it has now been filled, we have to assume/hope that the new owners sanctioned the appointment given she started just after the takeover, though will no doubt have had to work a notice period prior to that.

As you say the the track record looks very good - she was unfortunate with the Villa situation after leaving Man Utd

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ella-cummins

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 am

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Again. Another potential untapped market. I did try back in the day to get Slavia on board 😂😂

But Wood is the interesting one. Highest paid sports star in New Zealand. National captain. Granted it’s ‘only’ New Zealand. But again. Must be some way to tap into that market out there.

South Korea fans are obsessed with their national captain at Spurs...
I’d do anything to stop a drummer drumming at the football too :D
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:01 am

Chester Perry wrote:
100% correct. It is really good to have a proper journalist covering the Clarets.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 am

“Work out the shirt selling strategy fine.
Work out the manufacturing of leisurewear fine”

You don’t seem to think this takes a lot? I’d usually charge about 5G a year for this. I mean that’s the value. But happy to contribute for free. What are YOU doing for free?

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am

Currently hashtag united have nearly 10 times as many subscribers on youtube as Burnley do!

I don't remember an announcement about it but 8 months ago all the clubs started sharing content on Youtube, highlights, reactions. Some of our videos get little or no attention. Some of the clubs put out a lot more content than we do.

We get around 200k views per match on the youtube highlights of our matches which will generate roughly the same money as 160 Clarets+ subscriptions. Leicester get around 400k for their games and Manchester United get around 2m, their 9-0 win against Southampton got 5.7m views.
Some of the highlights of United's youth team games get more views than our first team games. At that rate the Man Utd youtube channel will be making around 200k a year just from the first team match highlights. It's not a massive earner.

There was a big discussion about shirt sales earlier in the thread. Barcelona sell the rights to their shirts to Nike for 160m a year, that's the biggest deal in world football for shirts. Nike can make as many shirts as they want and sell them where they want, that's the way the big clubs do it. Manchester United sell theirs rights to Adidas for 75m and Adidas reckon they sell 150m worth of shirts so it's a good deal for everyone.
Either we need to find a manufacturer who'd be interested or create a new model to allow us to target specific countries via a network of partners.

To increase our appeal in a foreign market we'd need to:
a) sign one or more big name player from that place
b) have some european or cup success
c) challenge the top 6
d) have some really amazing content that people want to see.

There was a lot made of Sean's look a like interview, it got 3.6k views on the BFC youtube channel and the "this is hilarious" exert that the club made got 11k views. It's not the money from youtube that counts it's the exposure but on both those counts we get no further than we would with an article in a local free paper.

Clearly the media department at Turf Moor is due a big shake up if we're going to change our model and develop a better social media presence.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 KateR

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:28 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 am
Our owners have seen a business with zero debt, meaning they haven't got to worry about a ridiculously unmanageable wage bill and have decided this is the best place to implement their ideas.
Spot on

You look for a club with no debt so there's one cash pile that you don't have to pay off

You then buy the club using very little of your own money - was it £15m or so ?

You then immediately put the club into debt as part of the above deal

And then you really hit the jackpot if, further down the line, someone else comes in and offers you £180 to 200m to buy the club

Happy days

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3874 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:08 am

Chester Perry wrote:
I would say Jordan North myself.

There are lots of Cardiff housewives with no affiliation to Burnley wearing Turf Moor happy place T shirts.

If I was into marketing Burnley shirt sales, Jordan and Jimmy Anderson would be the first people I got on board.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 cricketfieldclarets paulatky

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 pm
The 'Perfect Erection' has been removed from the advertising board.
New owners rang the owner of CWR and said they were removing it. Didn't like the wording. Concerning that seemed to be a priority.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:58 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:16 am

Leeds are viewed as one of the biggest clubs in England.
Why is that?
They're certainly not the most successful, they aren't even in the top 10 and only have 4 more trophies than us.
It's because the brand has been marketed extremely well for decades, pushing the narrative that they're massive.
They've also taken advantage of that narrative to massively grow their retail and sponsorship revenue these last few years.
Nothing do to with their attendances then, or the fact they were constantly in Europe for 5 years in the early 2000s. It's not all about winning trophies, our 1913 FA Cup win isn't remotely comparable to Leeds 1992 Div 1 title. Leeds got more fans on in League One than we do in the Premier League, they had 39,000 fans on for a home game against Bristol Rovers.

By your thinking only trophies won grows the club, that means their Champions League semi final appearance is irrelevant then, or their consistent top 5 PL battles. Consistency fighting at the top end of the top division is way more important than the odd trophy win, look at Wigan/Spurs for proof.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:09 am

Eyres_11 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 am
New owners rang the owner of CWR and said they were removing it. Didn't like the wording. Concerning that seemed to be a priority.
Or good news they have been through every detail of the club and want to change everything they're not happy with?

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:46 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:09 am
Or good news they have been through every detail of the club and want to change everything they're not happy with?
Possibly, but I would have thought there was a lot more important things to be getting on with.

Weird that they wanted to censer it considering it was obv bringing in advertising revenue, my guess at a higher price with where it is placed.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am

Eyres_11 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:46 am
Possibly, but I would have thought there was a lot more important things to be getting on with.
I'm fairly certain that they can multi-task.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3795 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:51 am

Eyres_11 wrote:
New owners rang the owner of CWR and said they were removing it. Didn't like the wording.
Well it was certainly a bit crass.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am

Eyres_11 wrote:

More concerning that it was allowed in the first place.

Regardless of how much money any club has it should be above advertising some tacky business slogan.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am
More concerning that it was allowed in the first place.

Regardless of how much money any club has it should be above advertising some tacky business slogan.
They received several complaints about that advertising board over a period of time.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Eyres_11 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:46 am

Weird that they wanted to censer it considering it was obv bringing in advertising revenue, my guess at a higher price with where it is placed.
Oh it's certainly not cheap to advertise with the club. A mate was offered a small board for 15k a season that wasn't in a prime spot. A few years ago so it could even have been in the championship.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Eyres_11 wrote:
It is interesting how such a detail thing can significantly change the cultural mindset within the club, it announced that "we are here and this is how we are going to be on a professional basis" - it is an excellent piece of work that will not have cost very much to enact but has proven, by the discussion on here, that it has had an impact that says we are better than that. I don't think we will have the likes of the "Totally Wicked" Bob Lord stand with these guys, and for that alone I am thankful.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32542 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:22 pm
It is interesting how such a detail thing can significantly change the cultural mindset within the club, it announced that "we are here and this is how we are going to be on a professional basis" - it is an excellent piece of work that will not have cost very much to enact but has proven, by the discussion on here, that it has had an impact that says we are better than that. I don't think we will have the likes of the "Totally Wicked" Bob Lord stand with these guys, and for that alone I am thankful.
Whatever anyone thought of Bob Lord, and people on this board will know I was no fan, I thought the Totally Wicked Bob Lord Stand sponsorship was downright shocking.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 am
They received several complaints about that advertising board over a period of time.

Not surprised at all by that, gimmicky names or slogans for companies are generally the type to avoid either them wanting you to advertise or you requiring someone who offers their service.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5084 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:22 pm
Whatever anyone thought of Bob Lord, and people on this board will know I was no fan, I thought the Totally Wicked Bob Lord Stand sponsorship was downright shocking.
As with Barcelona having UNICEF on their shirts the Bob Lord should have been branded alongside Age Concern.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm

The scaffolding advert had been there for many years and it certainly raised an eyebrow, particularly with its prominent position next to our dugout. Not sure if it is the same blokes who own the company, but going back 30 years or so they were mates of a bloke i worked with, From memory Cav, Williams and Richards - CWR.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:16 pm

Oh God, anyone but him. He’s horrendous.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:57 pm

djemba-djemba wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:16 pm
Oh God, anyone but him. He’s horrendous.
In your opinion maybe, but he does something right to get the views and followers that he does compared to Burnley.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Eyres_11 wrote:
Not if the new owners are thinking about foreign markets and part of their business plan is to try and attract sponsorship, sales etc from those markets.

For instance; the USA can be very puritanical in some of the attitudes their population exhibits and innuendo based comments like the CWR sign which was, let’s be honest, in a fairly visible spot By the home dugouts, might cause second thoughts about the morality of the business that they are being persuaded to invest in / spend money on...

The new owners are thinking about a much bigger world than just East Lancashire specifically and Britain in general.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8738 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:35 pm

Marney&Mee wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 pm
No doubting how well he did with local firms, but the big ticket Asian sponsorships will, I think, have been brokered by an agency..who would take 10% of the fee.
Ground naming rights anyone? The Bene n Twix Dome
Probably right. OK for "Can we renew your ad for next season, pal?" Not for the multi million deals.

I don't know though, as I have not heard of him at all.

If he has done 21 years - a big thank you and best wishes.