Dermot

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Dermot

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Another classic display from him on Sky this morning.

No pen for Burnley because Ben is fouling the Everton defender when he blatantly handles the ball.

Apparently we don’t want to re-referee the game when talking about the pen on Lacazette who has said himself it was no penalty. Sorry Dermot, I thought VAR was there to analyse penalty decisions so wtf are you talking about not wanting to re-referee the game....

At least Warnock put him right on the Ben incident.

We have no chance with referees coming out with absolute nonsense like this.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG elwaclaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Re: Dermot

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:09 pm

In regards to the Ben Mee foul / handball decision, - I suppose its in-line with the decision which ruled out Harry Maguire's goal against us earlier this season. That said, I thought that was a perfectly good goal. Maybe players can't jump up behind other players now?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:18 pm

If you're being fouled whilst jumping, as in being impeded in your jump, is it natural to put your arms across your head?

In any case, a free kick wasn't given, so giving a goal kick is actually the most wrong the ref could be. It's either a penalty for handball, a corner to us if the handball was deemed accidental or a free kick to them.

So the ref was wrong and Dermot has made him wronger.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG bobinho

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:35 pm

I've stopped watching the "expert" analysis from Dermot now. It has to be the most pointless slot on Sky ever. Dermot comes on, agrees with every ref/VAR decision then walks off. They must be paying him a fortune as he just looks stupid as he tries to justify every nonsense decision.
These 3 users liked this post: MT03ALG Colburn_Claret Elizabeth

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 pm

As Graeme Souness said last week, the refs stick together and make things up as they go along. Dermot is the mouthpiece that backs up Souness' view.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:46 pm

I remember him as a referee but cannot see where he gets the tag 'expert' from. Also remember him being suspended at least once so he can't be that much of an expert.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Michael Oliver is getting worse every time he referees a match. Why on earth did he not go and have a look at the Lacazette incident. It was certainly a clear and obvious error especially viewed from the view which Oliver did not have live. And how loud did Lacazette scream on this occasion ? It certainly looked loud !!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:08 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Michael Oliver is getting worse every time he referees a match. Why on earth did he not go and have a look at the Lacazette incident. It was certainly a clear and obvious error especially viewed from the view which Oliver did not have live. And how loud did Lacazette scream on this occasion ? It certainly looked loud !!
Although I agree Oliver does seem to be making errors recently, he can’t stop the game to review the screen for a penalty, he has to call the penalty first.

VAR then reviews its and advises him to check screen if they think it might be an error by him

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 pm

So who was the VAR Official and where did he/she purchase his/her white stick?

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:24 pm

I notice Jose was saying he’s never had a decision from Oliver. Well he needs to compare his sides with our record. I know we won at CP with him in the middle but a youth club team could have beat them that day. His overall record both as ref and as VAR is appalling re our justifiable appeals.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:27 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 pm
So who was the VAR Official and where did he/she purchase his/her white stick?
Paul Tierney

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm

He was probably still assessing replays of Huddersfield's goalkeeper making "no contact"with Hendrick

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00 pm
Another classic display from him on Sky this morning.

No pen for Burnley because Ben is fouling the Everton defender when he blatantly handles the ball.

Apparently we don’t want to re-referee the game when talking about the pen on Lacazette who has said himself it was no penalty. Sorry Dermot, I thought VAR was there to analyse penalty decisions so wtf are you talking about not wanting to re-referee the game....

At least Warnock put him right on the Ben incident.

We have no chance with referees coming out with absolute nonsense like this.
In a sense it is irrelevant whether VAR would have changed the decision or not, because VAR didn't take the time to have a look. I wouldn't be surprised if VAR had come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be a penalty because of an alleged foul; but first VAR would have had to have a look at it to come to that decision. They didn't look.

I suspect it's because Everton moved too fast and took the free kick before the ref worked out what all Burnley's shouts of "That's handball" meant. I think the rule probably says that the ref isn't allowed to ask VAR, VAR has to instigate the check, and by the time VAR realised there was something to look at it was too late. This is just one of the reasons players scream and shout and roll about, to make sure VAR realises there is something to look at.

That was why we didn't get the second penalty when McNeill's shot was blocked. If McNeil had shouted handball and the players had surrounded the ref and we refused to take the corner, then VAR would have spotted something was up. As it happened VAR had no idea until too late becuase the TV pictures didn't draw their attnetion to it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm
He was probably still assessing replays of Huddersfield's goalkeeper making "no contact"with Hendrick

I remember Huddersfield's keeper saying at the time that the only person in the ground who didn't think it was a pen was Paul Tierney.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:40 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:30 pm
In a sense it is irrelevant whether VAR would have changed the decision or not, because VAR didn't take the time to have a look. I wouldn't be surprised if VAR had come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be a penalty because of an alleged foul; but first VAR would have had to have a look at it to come to that decision. They didn't look.
There’s no such thing as too late. The VAR is supposed to be reviewing penalty box incidents that could be pens. We had that situation v Bournemouth last season where they had gone full length of the pitch and it was correctly brought back. So that’s no excuse for that one.

As for the Lacazette incident if the VAR is not asking the ref to review the screen he is not doing his job. Absolutely has to review that one on the screen when he hasn’t seen the other angle...absolutely no excuse for not doing it, even if he decides it’s still a pen after that.

XDS
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by XDS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:28 pm

I had to stop watching the football show altogether, the host belongs in a carry on film an absolute knob end, the guests are a joke, Sue Smith just smiles and nods her head when Warnock speaks, then you get ex players like Danny Mills who talk as though they were world beaters, and then Dermot appears, the man makes my teeth itch, one week a decision about something is right the week after the same things wrong and his voice I'd sooner listen to wife after a night on ale

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Apparently Oliver told Tierney that he was 100% sure it was a pen so he wasn't going to change his mind. Complete arrogance on his part.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:15 pm

I agree with Dermot’s assessment. It was NO penalty. The second handball however I thought WAS.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:40 pm
There’s no such thing as too late. The VAR is supposed to be reviewing penalty box incidents that could be pens. We had that situation v Bournemouth last season where they had gone full length of the pitch and it was correctly brought back. So that’s no excuse for that one.
VAR doesn't last for ever. There was no stoppage of play before the Bournemouth review. But if the ref had allowed Burnley to kick off again, or to restart play in any other way if the ball hadn't gone in, then the VAR potential review period would have stopped. Once a contentious decision has been made and the ball goes dead, the ref has to hold things up until the review is complete.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Quite obviously it doesn’t last forever. Basically it needs the VAR guy watching to flag the handball to the ref within a few seconds...this should have been done at Goodison. If he speaks to the ref and says that the hand is in an unnatural position he can either give the pen and/or look at the monitor to confirm. Really not difficult at all and has been done many times. As I don’t think he blew for a foul by Ben that would have been the course of action to take, not give a goal kick which was pretty much as wrong as you can get (as others have said above)

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:59 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 pm
Quite obviously it doesn’t last forever. Basically it needs the VAR guy watching to flag the handball to the ref within a few seconds...this should have been done at Goodison. If he speaks to the ref and says that the hand is in an unnatural position he can either give the pen and/or look at the monitor to confirm. Really not difficult at all and has been done many times. As I don’t think he blew for a foul by Ben that would have been the course of action to take, not give a goal kick which was pretty much as wrong as you can get (as others have said above)
I agree that is what should have happened. But either there was no VAR review at all, or else it was reviewed but the commentators never got round to telling us (which they usually do). I reckon that the ref and VAR man between them forgot to stop play, or at least didn't decide to stop play, and so there was no review at all for either handball.