Fifa or Fortnite

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Fifa or Fortnite

Post by fanzone » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Does anyone or anyone's children play any of these games on the PlayStation or Xbox consoles? If so do they experience what they call game lag?

We are currently operating with 200mb fibre virgin broadband and even with a wired connection the games are still very laggy. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could improve the gameplay?

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Re: Fifa or Fortnite

Post by superdimitri » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:06 am

200mb is the peak connection speed and doesn't always represent the speed you'll get all the time, or per activity. It also is the speed entering the house and not what reaches the console. More speed also doesn't equate to faster latency either.

Make sure to always test with a wired connection and that other devices in the house are all turned off. If someone has a computer running downloads or an update at the same time it can cause lag.

Virgin also don't have a good track record at delivering good quality router moderns either, so you may want to try running the virgin modem/router in modem only mode and buy your own router to do the heavy lifting part. Apparently they fixed the latency issues their latest modem/router had with a firmware update but some users still have a problem and use their own router.

Are you sure the lag is due to the internet connection rather than 'input lag' which is the gap in time before you notice on the TV you've pressed a button?

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:33 am

Could anyone recommend a good router to buy? We have Virgin but, as you say, it can be very poor at times.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:01 am

Same. Virgin Media broadband, and fine half the time, but terrible at others despite the speeds being high when tested.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am

I use an Asus RT-AC86U which works great. I run it with custom firmware which irons out a lot of the bugs.

Since you can't buy Virgin compatible modems you could actually just use an access point instead of a router but I'd suggest going for a router like my Asus because it will have more processing power to cope with more connections at once.

One of the crappy things about company provided hardware is that it seems to crap out if you use multiple devices, or even single devices with lots of connections.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Bcrollerz
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Bcrollerz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:31 am

Get an ethernet cable and plug it direct into the router and xbox if you can

Works a treat

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3871 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:18 am

fanzone wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Does anyone or anyone's children play any of these games on the PlayStation or Xbox consoles? If so do they experience what they call game lag?

We are currently operating with 200mb fibre virgin broadband and even with a wired connection the games are still very laggy. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could improve the gameplay?
Ring virgin and get the latest Router/modem they have off them.

I had problems about 3 years ago (been with them over 15) for a month or so and rang up ready to cancel. They sent new kit out for free, straight away and worked like a dream ever since.

Can have 5 or 6 things connected at once easily.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:29 am

How much space is on the hard drive?
I was having a nightmare last week, only to discover the memory storage was at 99%. It was much better once I'd cleared some space.
Other times it's just because I, or my son, are playing a bit crap haha

MiltonKeynesClaret93
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by MiltonKeynesClaret93 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:05 am

fanzone wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:45 pm

You can be at the mercy of other people's connections as well. Could well be other players on poor connections.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:21 am

I had this With Fortnite 3 PS4s connecting with WiFi was very hit and miss, my son also struggled on his PC playing a game called War Thunder. I connected 2 PS4s and his PC to the router with CAT 7 cables all is now good in the hood. Not sure about CAT 5 but probably would be fine certainly CAT 6 should be fine. I have BT Halo 2 broadband (or whatever it is called now) not as fast as yours and I am using the BT router.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 am

Also I would get a broadband speed check and test the speeds you are getting when it is lagging. I had virgin (years ago so may have changed) and I found that the majority of the time the speeds I were getting were much less than what it was advertised as. Do they do a guaranteed speed I have a guarantee of no less than 57 MBs (I think) and when I check I get around that always.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:11 pm

As has been said, most of the problems with poor connectivity isn't the line speed or bandwidth, its the crappy hardware provided.

Pop your virgin superhub into modem mode and get a decent router.