Pope article in the Times

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Pope article in the Times

Post by claretandy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:50 pm

Excellent article in the Times, says he's open to finishing his career here.

Nick Pope opens his phone to show footage of Alisson making saves for Liverpool against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday. On Tuesday, the Burnley ’keeper analysed Ederson’s distribution for Manchester City against Borussia Mönchengladbach, pressing pause on the live action, rewinding, examining, eager for every insight on goalkeepers.

Time spent in Pope’s company at Burnley’s sleek, welcoming Barnfield training ground on Wednesday, all socially distanced and after a lateral flow test, brought real understanding of the 28-year-old England player’s devotion to his craft.

Pope has always been thirsty for knowledge, dating back to his time at fee-paying King’s Ely, then at college, then out on loan from Charlton Athletic, crossing the country, learning his trade from non-League upwards. And now, embedded in the England squad, Pope continues his quest for self-improvement.

So he opens his phone. “So this is Alisson the other night, I’m watching him positionally,” Pope explains. The footage begins with Adama Traoré, the Wolves attacker, close to the byline about to drive in a cross. Pope presses play. “I’m watching Alisson, how calm he is and the position he’s in.

“He’s inside his goal and his body shape is half-open so that gives him the opportunity to get on the ball.” Alisson takes a step out and intervenes. “He gets a punch on it into a good [safe] area. If his body position is squarer to the ball, he won’t be able to get that, he wouldn’t be able to move his feet to get there.

“I look at goalkeeper’s body shape. If you’re 6ft 6in or 6ft 2in, you stand in different positions.” Pope himself is 6ft 6in, so he studied tall ’keepers. “For me growing up, I was keen to watch [Thibaut] Courtois and [Petr] Cech, 6ft 6in. In some situations I’d stand deeper because I’ve don’t have to cut off the angle as much. I’ve got a longer reach, longer wing-span. If you stand forward you cut off the angle but then you’ve got less reaction time. If I’m deeper I’ve got more reaction time, and I can use the time to move my feet and use my reach.”

Amongst his many notable saves this season, Pope’s reach and anticipation saw him frustrate Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke with an astonishing reaction save, stretching out his left hand in November, then tipping an Anwar El-Ghazi free kick on to the bar with his right at Villa Park. It is difficult to decide the pick of his six saves at Anfield in January, a game Jürgen Klopp described as “Liverpool versus Nick Pope”, but the best was probably his left hand to deny Mo Salah low down on the hour.

He uses online to further his understanding of the best shot-stoppers such as Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak. “I watch Oblak on YouTube,’’ Pope says, adding his appreciation of the Slovenian’s own expansion of his reactions through handball and tennis. “Oblak takes stuff from other sports. I was big on cricket at school. I was a wicketkeeper so that’s foot movement, hand eye [co-ordination], reacting to deflections, reacting to when you are close to the stumps or if you’re stood back. That helped me as a goalkeeper. I played rugby a bit. I wasn’t a great athlete, a couple of throwing ones like shot-putt and javelin!”

What about King’s Ely’s historic 75-yard dash through the cathedral grounds. “The Hoop and Trundle?” Pope laughs at the memory. “I never did that.” He enjoyed the school, a distinguished alma mater of MPs, historians, fighter pilots and athletes such as the Olympian Goldie Sayers. “Her picture was on the wall,” he says. “I was very fortunate to go there. My mum’s a teacher and that knocked a bit off the fees!

“With England, you have a lot of time together in camp, so we do get talking about backgrounds and schools. Everyone’s journey is different. Mine’s different to Raheem [Sterling] and Marcus [Rashford]. Eric [Dier] grew up in Portugal. It’s great to have a mix. I think people find it a bit funny, it’s quite rare.”

He didn’t board at King’s, as he lived in nearby Soham. The town’s name is indelibly and tragically associated with the horrific murder of two ten-year-old girls, Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells, in 2002. “It was terrible,” Pope reflects. “They were in the same school year as me but when it happened I’d left [for King’s]. It was very sad. I still see the mum and dad of one of the girls.”

Pope pauses. The enormity of such events puts everything in perspective. He slowly resumes his own story. His footballing education was continuing at Ipswich Town. “But I got released at 16. It gave me a kick up the backside,” he says. He left King’s, enrolled at West Suffolk Sports Academy and played for Bury Town. “I was 16 and playing against men. All of them around me at corners, free kicks. No mercy. There were doubts. I got promised trials and nothing happened. I looked at other career choices. I looked at Nottingham [University] to do sports science.” Then Charlton offered him a two-day trial, watched him for Bury Town and gave him a deal in 2011. They loaned him out to Harrow Borough, Welling United, Cambridge United and Aldershot Town in non-League.

Always keen to rise up the ranks, Pope looked to go on loan to League Two. He prepared himself. “Even though the Champions League might be on the telly, I’d be dragging friends I was in digs with to Dagenham & Redbridge, Gillingham or Southend on a Tuesday night to see what the games are like and what the goalkeepers are like,” he says. “I watched [Paulo] Gazzaniga at Gillingham and [Jack] Butland with Cheltenham play at Southend.”

Pope was soon playing League Two with York City and Bury, then Championship with Charlton. Then Burnley came calling in 2016, and he continued developing, training with Tom Heaton. “What was great for me was watching ‘Heats’ when I first signed,” he says. “He was known as a good, consistent goalkeeper at Premier League level. I was around him in training, in the dressing room, watching him prepare and how he dealt with game situations.”

Pope sees no reason why he won’t spend the rest of his career at Burnley

He loves working under Sean Dyche. “He’s big on truths. Sometimes people need a gee-up, need telling, and he does it,” he says. “You need to have your truths. There’s no liberties taken in training, no taking the **** here. Everyone’s here to train hard, work hard. If one cog is out of sync, you let them know. It’s that intense, that switched on, and being at that level the whole time takes a lot of you but off the pitch there’s a relaxed feel. It’s a good mix.”

When Heaton moved to Aston Villa in 2019, Pope had such a fine season in the Premier League, including 15 clean sheets, that Gareth Southgate took him to the World Cup. He’s enjoying such a good season again that he’s been linked with clubs such as Tottenham Hotspur. “I’ve learnt not to take too much notice of it,” Pope replies. “I’m level-headed and calm.”

He adds, “Everyone wants to play at the highest level. Everyone wants to push themselves as far as they can. I’ve come a long way which I’m thankful for. I don’t want to stop improving. If you’d told me when I was at Charlton or at college that I’d play 100 Premier League games, I’d have said that’s silly. Now I am here [on 101] it is looking at the next thing, the next thing, it’s keeping that hunger and desire.”

“I’m happy to be here in the Premier League even though I’ve come from lower down but we don’t want to ‘settle’. The Gaffer speaks about ‘surviving’. We don’t want to just ‘survive’.” He’s not being critical of Dyche, simply stating the hunger within Burnley.

But can Burnley take that next step? “I think so,” he says. “We were in Europe once. For me it ended after 15 minutes, my shoulder popped out [against Aberdeen in the Europa League in 2018] so it’s something that I’d like to have another crack at. We’ve got new owners [the American consortium ALK Capital] and possibly a brighter future.”

Pope would never go anywhere as an understudy. “No. I don’t think that’s something I could do,” he says. He can even see himself spending the rest of his career at Burnley. “Things change so quickly in football but I don’t see why that wouldn’t happen. It’s been a great 4½ years at the club with great people, players, staff, fans, everyone, so I don’t see why not.

“The team represents the town, hard working, everyone works for each other. No one left behind.” It sounds like the Marines. “It is a bit!”

Pope has won four England caps, including against Ireland in a 3-0 win last NovemberPope has won four England caps, including against Ireland in a 3-0 win last November

Pope handles well the pressures of his profession, trying to repel some of the best strikers in the world. “The two that stick out most are Sergio Agüero and Harry Kane, who have a very high level of finishing,” Pope says.

He has a “routine” to deal with setbacks and mistakes, analysing, learning and moving on. “Also I’ve a little boy and a little girl at home. If I make a mistake, and go home, they don’t know I’ve made a mistake. They’re an immediate release for me. Spending time with them is massive for me.”

When he was at home on Monday, watching the match from Molineux, Pope was naturally concerned about Rui Patrício when he collided with Conor Coady’s knee. “Thankfully he’s OK,” Pope said. “It’s just one of those hazards of being a goalkeeper. It’s good to be brave. I was taught at a young age to be brave and put your head and hands in.

“I took one in the head against Palace [accidentally from Benteke]. I wobbled. I don’t know what the official line was, a little bit concussed. It’s instinct. It’s about stopping the ball going in the goal.”

Pope’s always learning. “In lockdown I learned about looking after your mental side,” he says. “It was very easy to be shut in the house 23-24 hours a day, sitting on the sofa watching TV and you go through Bargain Hunt and Homes Under the Hammer and then you get a routine. It’s very easy to do that and almost go numb. Fortunately, when I was growing up my parents were always telling me to go outside.

“I’d not done cycling for ten years so I started again, bought a bike — and full Lycra! — and started going to the Peak District. I’m not as good as Ben Foster, though.” Pope name-checks the Watford ’keeper and serious cyclist. “He does a good YouTube video,” Pope adds of Foster’s films, some made with a GoPro in the back of his net. “I like the more cycling-driven ones. I’m used to his view of a football pitch.”

There seems a genuine camaraderie and respect amongst goalkeepers, especially with England. Southgate’s expected goalkeeping three for the Euros is Jordan Pickford, Pope and Dean Henderson. “We all get on,” Pope says.

Pickford’s abdominal muscle injury means a first call for West Bromwich Albion’s Sam Johnstone and an opportunity for Pope to demonstrate his abilities in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino, Albania and Poland.

Can he stake a claim to the No 1 shirt over the next fortnight? “Just because I play one, two, three games doesn’t mean anything,” Pope replies. “Jordan’s played well for England over his 30 caps. In qualifiers he’s played nearly all of them and done well. It’s going to be difficult in three games to overturn that. But in the same regard I want to do the best for myself, I want to show myself in the best light. The Euros are coming up. Whenever I put an England shirt on what more motivation do you need?”

His readiness involves getting in the right state of mind. “It’s concentration and focus but also being relaxed, being in a stable mind to make the right decision and not have a rush of blood,” he says. “Visualisation’s good. If we’re going into the last five minutes maybe one goal up or level, I always think, ‘There’s one more thing I’m going to have to do’. If I then have one more thing to do, make a save, have a touch, I’ll then think again, ‘There’s one more thing to do’. In 92, 93 minutes, I’ll be thinking, ‘There’s one more thing to do’.” Pope does it well.
These 29 users liked this post: CleggHall huw.Y.WattfromWare ten bellies bfcjg Ashingtonclaret46 HunterST_BFC k90bfc Burnley Ace DCWat elwaclaret IanMcL Stalbansclaret RalphCoatesComb africlaret longsidepies Quicknick Frenchclaret The Enclosure jrtod61 claretfern Redbeard BertiesBeehole NewClaret HandforthClaret Suratclaret Jel JohnDearyMe evensteadiereddie karatekid

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Pope article in the Times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm

Top man

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5085 times
Has Liked: 6898 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Brilliant read.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Not in the Catholic News then?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:15 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Top man
Couldn't put it any better TFC 👍🙂👍

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:15 pm

A good, if lengthy, article on Burnley’s most important player.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:28 pm

Very lucky to have have found a Golden nugget, that no one else fancied.
I still laugh at the Boro post of Dyche looking stunned, with the caption ' the look when you realise Boro are buying Victor Valdes, whilst you are getting Nick Pope'.
The gift that keeps on giving.
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg Ashingtonclaret46 Bosscat bobinho

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Great read and good to hear.

Thanks for posting this.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:28 pm
Very lucky to have have found a Golden nugget, that no one else fancied.
I still laugh at the Boro post of Dyche looking stunned, with the caption ' the look when you realise Boro are buying Victor Valdes, whilst you are getting Nick Pope'.
The gift that keeps on giving.
indeed

https://twitter.com/andybell95/status/7 ... 32?lang=en
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Clarets4me

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:15 pm
A good, if lengthy, article on Burnley’s most important player.
Proof that some Burnley fan's will always find something to complain about.
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:14 pm

That's not aged particularly well, 28 appearances, Karanka sacked, relegated and retired !!

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:56 pm

We’ve been blessed with some great goalkeepers under Dyche.

Something we’ll look back on enviously no doubt.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:13 pm

We are very, very fortunate to have Nick Pope, in the middle of our goal!

What a level headed, mature young man and world supreme keeper.
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret jrtod61

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:22 pm

Great article ..thanks for posting. What a fantastic keeper we have.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2315 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:23 pm

Great article top pro, top lad

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:39 pm

When Tom Heaton moved on, I was worried. Why Oh Why? Nick Pope is an amazing keeper and, for the time being, he's OURS !

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 pm

It was someone on here (or the previous site?) who said that Nick Pope's first season in Burnley's goal, after Heaton got injured, was better than his Mum and Dad could have imagined! Very true.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 pm
It was someone on here (or the previous site?) who said that Nick Pope's first season in Burnley's goal, after Heaton got injured, was better than his Mum and Dad could have imagined! Very true.
It was this site - set up in Jan 2016 around the same time we were going on the "23, 23 undefeated" run leading up to winning the Championship, with the final 3-0 victory at Charlton, where we all say a "very good" keeper keeping the score respectable for Charlton - and we signed Nick Pope and JBG a few weeks later.

UTC

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 am

Probably the most grounded player in the most grounded squad to have ever graced the Premier League.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7197 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:58 am

Excellent read. Thanks for posting it, Andy.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 am

And to think that if Heaton hadn’t gone he might have been overlooked until it was too late. Just goes to show that you sometimes need a little luck in life. He got his chance and boy has he taken it. Brilliant player. If our outfield was as good we’d walk the PL (well maybe not but who knows).

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 am

houseboy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 am
And to think that if Heaton hadn’t gone he might have been overlooked until it was too late. Just goes to show that you sometimes need a little luck in life. He got his chance and boy has he taken it. Brilliant player. If are outfield were as good we’d walk the PL (well maybe not but who knows).
Hi houseboy, it wasn't Tom moving to Villa it was Tom getting an injury in the game against..... err....my recall is a little slow this morning - was it Palace? Nick Pope then kept the shirt through the rest of the season and we started the following season with both Tom and Nick, and Nick got injured after 15 mins v Aberdeen and we signed Joe Hart - Joe Hart then kept the shirt until Boxing Day before Tom got the shirt back while Nick was still injured. Later, Nick Pope got a new contract that showed he was first choice and Tom Heaton moved to Villa - not quite 2 seasons after Nick Pope had made his debut.

Tough, of course, on Tom that he got injured, again, when he was No.1 at Villa.

UTC

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 am
Hi houseboy, it wasn't Tom moving to Villa it was Tom getting an injury in the game against..... err....my recall is a little slow this morning - was it Palace? Nick Pope then kept the shirt through the rest of the season and we started the following season with both Tom and Nick, and Nick got injured after 15 mins v Aberdeen and we signed Joe Hart - Joe Hart then kept the shirt until Boxing Day before Tom got the shirt back while Nick was still injured. Later, Nick Pope got a new contract that showed he was first choice and Tom Heaton moved to Villa - not quite 2 seasons after Nick Pope had made his debut.

UTC
Yeah, it was a series of events that lead up to it but Heaton going was the clincher. Either way it was a very good series of events for us eh? Not too many better goalies around and none of those better are English.
Tom seems to have had a tough time at Villa but he is still excellent.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 am

You cannot help but like him, and at the top of his game. Great credit to Mercer the GK coach. When Heaton had arrived he had shipped out over 100 goals in one season for Bristol City. Both Heaton & Pope became outstanding keepers under his coaching

It also proves there is talent in the lower divisions. It takes skill to identify them, we then know that at a club like ours we can develop that skill. I am hoping we see the same happen to Brownhill who is showing some really good qualities

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:08 am

Love Nick Pope.

He’s literally been world class for us since the day he pulled on the gloves and seems like a top man as well.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:08 am
Love Nick Pope.

He’s literally been world class for us since the day he pulled on the gloves and seems like a top man as well.
Hear Hear.... Remember the game at Bournemouth in atrocious conditions and a Forgettable game till JRod popped up with an injury time Winner....Popeye Ran over to the Burnley Fans Whipped off his Shirt flexing is muscles and handed my Grandson the Yellow Jersey!!!

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:37 pm

We had no idea as Tom hit the ground in the match against Palace just what a significant moment that was. Nick was outstanding that day, not least because he was assured from the moment he walked on the pitch. You could almost feel despair turn to relief in the stands after his first couple of touches

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:50 pm

Tom Heaton & Nick Pope - two goalkeepers who had just been relegated to League One when we signed them. Two outstanding goalkeepers, two really down to earth people with their feet on the ground. We’ve been blessed with these two.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 am

UTC
In the same goal wasn't it? you could forgive him for not wanting to play at the Turf ever again after those two incidents

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:06 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm
In the same goal wasn't it? you could forgive him for not wanting to play at the Turf ever again after those two incidents
Opposite ends - cricket field end for us v Palace and Jimmy Mac end for Villa v us.

No doubt that Tom moved because Nick was going to number one at Burnley.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:54 pm

The Soham bit is interesting, there are lots of examples of more people succeeding if something like that has happened close to them (I appreciate he had moved to Kings at the time but would still have felt close to it). Andy Murray at Dunblane is the obvious example.

Even if it is as simple as ingraining a mindset of making the most of life because not everyone is so lucky - something few of us fully realise until much later.

Good for him too of taking up biking in the Peak District to stay sane in lockdown - I do exactly the same thing myself.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:43 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:48 am
Probably the most grounded player in the most grounded squad to have ever graced the Premier League.
Groundy McGrounded you mean?

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 am

An outstanding goalkeeper and human.

Jel
Been Liked: 266 times
Has Liked: 1178 times

Post by Jel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am
Hear Hear.... Remember the game at Bournemouth in atrocious conditions and a Forgettable game till JRod popped up with an injury time Winner....Popeye Ran over to the Burnley Fans Whipped off his Shirt flexing is muscles and handed my Grandson the Yellow Jersey!!!

Spinach is the secret!
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

jmu1
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by jmu1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:16 am

Real opportunity for him to stake his claim to be number one. Would be fully deserved in my opinion
He could then move quickly up our list of players with England appearances which always looks smaller than it should be. Only 95 caps combined!

Commy
Been Liked: 467 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:16 am