If you were the next superstar footballer who would you join?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

If you were the next superstar footballer who would you join?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 am

Seeing reports about Haaland touring the top clubs got me thinking.

If you were in his position, and we take money out of the equation, which of the top clubs would you join at this moment in time?

I'm still pondering this so I'll answer it later.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Re: If you were the next superstar footballer who would you join?

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:30 am

If you take money out of the game there would be no incentive to play for anyone other than your local football team. Football has also been commercial, it is just now it has shifted from part of the community to mega-brands.

He’ll go to the highest bidder and then say it is because he wants to win trophies, like they all do.
These 2 users liked this post: BenWickes Siddo

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:10 am

As Elwa says. If money wasn't an issue and all clubs were on a level playing field I'd stick with my boyhood club.
Flipping it. If money played a part in my decision. I'd be pretty open to any club apart from Liverpool or Man Utd (or Rovers). I don't think any amount of money would persuade me to play for them.
This user liked this post: timshorts

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am

I'd be looking at an extended holiday, and like the idea of going to a club at a place that I like (or near enough to one) and making it a goer - a bit like Maradona did for napoli.
It would also mean getting to a lot of different towns if you could help get sides promoted. Being an ambassador for the benelux league when it comes in would be interesting. No to Spain. Quality of life over medals for me. So:-
Nac Breda, Gent (reviving lokeren would be tempting though) , Luzern, Freiburg, Brescia or Verona, Sedan in France but I'd live over the border in the ardennes. I'd like living in Scandinavia too, but he's done that already.

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:29 am

If you bagged 20 a season for every season through your career for your boyhood club you'd more richer amongst the fans in your town than any money could produce for me

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am

timshorts wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am
I'd be looking at an extended holiday, and like the idea of going to a club at a place that I like (or near enough to one) and making it a goer - a bit like Maradona did for napoli.
It would also mean getting to a lot of different towns if you could help get sides promoted. Being an ambassador for the benelux league when it comes in would be interesting. No to Spain. Quality of life over medals for me. So:-
Nac Breda, Gent (reviving lokeren would be tempting though) , Luzern, Freiburg, Brescia or Verona, Sedan in France but I'd live over the border in the ardennes. I'd like living in Scandinavia too, but he's done that already.
Tend to agree with this to a degree. Quality of life is more important than money to me. There's some gorgeous countryside around Strasbourg (Lutzelbourg is my favourite place I've ever been to), Norwich (love the Broads) so I'd be quite happy being a superstar at a club like that than a big city club.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:57 am

Distressingly in Haaland’s case, if you took money out of the equation, he’d be wanting to play for Leeds United!

For young players in the game today though, there aren’t many better clubs than the one he’s currently at.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:16 am

BenWickes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am
Tend to agree with this to a degree. Quality of life is more important than money to me. There's some gorgeous countryside around Strasbourg (Lutzelbourg is my favourite place I've ever been to), Norwich (love the Broads) so I'd be quite happy being a superstar at a club like that than a big city club.
Thanks, I'll have to look at lutzelbourg. It looks an convenient detour to avoid paying the toll between saarbrucken and strasbourg on the french side too.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 am

Well those are some boring, if slightly predictable answers :lol:

City - potentially the chance to lead them to their first CL, assuming they don't win it this season and be forever remembered in a way Aguero will be.

Barca - lead them into a post Messi era rebuild and bring back CL glory.

Juve, AC /Inter Milan - help drag them back to the top of Serie A, plus the top of European football.

Chelsea - play for a succession of managers but also challenge for the PL regularly and get a 2nd CL title.

Utd - Return them to the Fergie glory days.

PSG - bring that first CL as per City.

Real Madrid - they're Real, not much else to say.

Personally, I think it would be Barca, depending on assurances of team rebuilding, or City.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:23 am

I’d much rather make a club great than sign for an established side with their history and long list of legends.
1) Burnley. I’d over-rule my earlier sentence.
2)Motherwell
3)Nantes
4)Espanyol
5)VV Venlo

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:33 am

Dream career would be youth development and debut season for Burnley in PL, move to Ajax for a few seasons, snapped up by Dortmund, big money move to Barca in my peak years, a few years in a more deep lying role at Napoli and a final massive payday at Hebei China Fortune. Retire, appointed Burnley manager.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:54 am

Accrington Stanley. See how far one player could push them. Actually it's a shame nowadays all the top oldies play abroad . Just think we wouldn't have been able to enjoy Wright, Cole, May, Sinclair, Waddle, Heath or Gazza. They'd be playing in the states or China.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:02 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 am
Well those are some boring, if slightly predictable answers :lol:

City - potentially the chance to lead them to their first CL, assuming they don't win it this season and be forever remembered in a way Aguero will be.

Barca - lead them into a post Messi era rebuild and bring back CL glory.

Juve, AC /Inter Milan - help drag them back to the top of Serie A, plus the top of European football.

Chelsea - play for a succession of managers but also challenge for the PL regularly and get a 2nd CL title.

Utd - Return them to the Fergie glory days.

PSG - bring that first CL as per City.

Real Madrid - they're Real, not much else to say.

Personally, I think it would be Barca, depending on assurances of team rebuilding, or City.
Isn't this a bit of a silly question? Everyone would either play for their home town club, or a big hitter. Isn't that it?
A twenty year old wouldn't want to play 2nd tier football for Norwich because they like the Norfolk Broads.
If that was the case I'd play for Harrogate because I like the Dales.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 am

Burnley for sure...

What, with all these "exciting times" and all.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am

It has to be LA Galaxy. Best place to live in the world, US Soccer is growing fast and will eventually dominate world football and I love the fact they treat Womens football with such respect which shows what a great attitude the US has to Soccer

If it had to be the UK then I think leading Newcastle to success would be the bomb. They have the best fans in the county and the place would explode if they won something. Also everyone knows that being the Gallowgate Ends favourite number 9 is one of the most iconic and adored statuses you can reach as an English striker
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am
It has to be LA Galaxy. Best place to live in the world, US Soccer is growing fast and will eventually dominate world football and I love the fact they treat Womens football with such respect which shows what a great attitude the US has to Soccer

If it had to be the UK then I think leading Newcastle to success would be the bomb. They have the best fans in the county and the place would explode if they won something. Also everyone knows that being the Gallowgate Ends favourite number 9 is one of the most iconic and adored statuses you can reach as an English striker
🤭 popcorns at the ready DA 😉

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

Newcastle are certainly in the top two best fans in their county. Can't argue with that.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

Barcelona for me or Lazio

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

I quite like what players like Zlatan have done. Chance to tour the world while playing at the top of your game. Haaland is too young for that though currently. Think he'd be perfect for United right now. Pogba, Fernandez and Haaland would make them some force again.

Bcrollerz
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Bcrollerz » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am

Burnley

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:23 am

I wouldn’t like to live in Spain, so out of the big hitters it would be PSG, Bayern or Utd/City/Chelsea

Possibly one of the Milan clubs also, but definitely wouldn’t like to live in or around Rome

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:00 pm

At the moment it would have to be Manchester City. They have the best set up of all clubs in the UK.
Playing for Pep would be extraordinary.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm not so good with languages so I'd either stay in the UK or go to the USA or Australia.

In fact, partnering Berisha in the A League would be tempting.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:41 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 pm
I'm not so good with languages so I'd either stay in the UK or go to the USA or Australia.

In fact, partnering Berisha in the A League would be tempting.
Don’t know what standard you’ve played at. But get yourself down here, you’d probably get a game in the A-League!!

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:35 pm

timshorts wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am
Generally I'd agree with this but top footballers are very driven - they have to be or they won't be top footballers. I'd therefore look at which club (or series of clubs, or leagues perhaps) would help me be a better footballer. Which team has a good youth set up - Ajax used to be such a club. So, say, start at Ajax and get into the first team. I get reasonable league experience plus some European games. Hopefully I'd end up too good for the Dutch league and move on.

Quality of life can come after I finish my football career which, afterall, takes up just under half a reasonable length life.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am

You play women's football?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:39 pm

Hipper wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:36 pm
You play women's football?
No, I don't

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:57 pm

If you're asking which league is the strongest at the moment it has to be the Premier League. Man United and Liverpool both battered Leipzig in Europe. I read something about the goal difference this season between English and Spanish clubs in Europe is like 12-0 to the English clubs. I actually think the top 10 of the Premier League is stronger than it's ever been.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm

right now, Bayern

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am
Newcastle are certainly in the top two best fans in their county. Can't argue with that.
Tight call with Berwick!

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:39 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm
Tight call with Berwick!
Forgot them and Gateshead.

vancouverclaret
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by vancouverclaret » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:46 pm

only one club for me Burnley