U23's friendly v Fleetwood today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12361 times

U23's friendly v Fleetwood today

Post by Leisure » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm

U23 REPORT: Burnley 0 Fleetwood Town 0

Clarets warm-up for play-off push in training ground stalemate

The Under-23s kept themselves ticking over ahead of their return to league action next week with a training ground run-out against Fleetwood Town.

With a fortnight between fixtures and three games left to try and secure a play-off place in the Second Division of Premier League 2, the Clarets slotted in some useful match action.

A Fleetwood side containing and cajoled by senior men Glenn Whelan – working his way back to fitness – and Mark Duffy were the better side for long periods at the Barnfield Training Centre.

But the Clarets had opportunities in each half for youth-team striker Sam Unwin to get the only goal of the game.

The Clarets were without regular captain and striker Lewis Richardson following his appearance from the bench for the first team at Southampton last Sunday as he continues to train in the senior set-up.

And Joel Mumbongo was also left out with a knock ahead of next Monday afternoon’s visit of Norwich City in the first of two games next week which could go a long way to determining the Clarets’ promotion chances.

Unwin and Rob Harker therefore led the Clarets’ attack and Unwin went close to breaking the deadlock when he was released by Max Thompson and just failed to beat goalkeeper Joel Coleman with an attempted chip.

Fleetwood did most of the attacking with former Clarets’ winger Chris Conn-Clarke a regular threat without being able to test Burnley goalkeeper Marc Richter.

It was a similar tale after the break with Conn-Clarke sending a header just wide as the visitors pressed for a winner.

But with Richard Nartey again a calming presence at the back Burnley held out.

And Unwin had one further chance from another Thompson pass which the teenager met with a shot he flashed into the side netting.

Steve Stone’s side will now prepare for the visit of the Canaries before they finish the regular season with trips to Reading and champions-elect Leeds United in pursuit of the points they need to hang onto a top-five place.

Burnley: Richter; Rain (Barrett HT), Trialist, Nartey, Glennon; Thompson, Tucker (Diallo 65), Gomez-Mancini, Costelloe; Harker, Unwin.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: U23's friendly v Fleetwood today

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Interesting that Richardson is training full time with the first team squad.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm
Interesting that Richardson is training full time with the first team squad.
Not a surprise to me. His movement and football brain is excellent. He'll have a good career at a high level. Promising signs.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Not a surprise to me. His movement and football brain is excellent. He'll have a good career at a high level. Promising signs.
Ever so slightly reminds me of Robbie Blake.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Ever so slightly reminds me of Robbie Blake.
Wracking my brain what style of player he reminded me of. Blake meets Sheringham was my initial thought.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm
Wracking my brain what style of player he reminded me of. Blake meets Sheringham was my initial thought.
I like the way he receives the ball in tight situations, quick feet and brain.
Hopefully he will develop into a top player for us, but it's a long and difficult road.
But he's not doing badly for an 18 year old.
This user liked this post: BenWickes

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm
I like the way he receives the ball in tight situations, quick feet and brain.
Hopefully he will develop into a top player for us, but it's a long and difficult road.
But he's not doing badly for an 18 year old.
It is indeed but when I first saw him I thought genuinely. This lad can go all the way. You can't coach natural ability and he is a natural.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 pm

True enough, you can't coach natural ability, but can coach a young lad in such a way that he makes the absolute most of his ability. There's been too many very talented young players who for various reasons haven't been able to translate their ability into consistent first performances at the highest level. It's up to our staff to ensure that he makes the very best of what he's got naturally.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Just looked at the table and a play off place is looking unlikely, I’d say. Reading, Villa & Sunderland all within 3 points with two games in hand. Plus we have to play runaway leaders Leeds.

On that note, you’d have to hope that Richardson should be made available for the remaining competitive games regardless of whether he’s training with the first team? Giving the U23’s the best possible chance of promotion and improving our ability to sign the best young talent must surely be his priority over sitting on the first team bench and playing a few minutes here & there?

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Was James Hill in the Fleetwood team?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm
Just looked at the table and a play off place is looking unlikely, I’d say. Reading, Villa & Sunderland all within 3 points with two games in hand. Plus we have to play runaway leaders Leeds.

On that note, you’d have to hope that Richardson should be made available for the remaining competitive games regardless of whether he’s training with the first team? Giving the U23’s the best possible chance of promotion and improving our ability to sign the best young talent must surely be his priority over sitting on the first team bench and playing a few minutes here & there?
They've done well to be in with a chance.
The team is very rarely a settled one, and some of our more experienced players, Benson Goodridge Thomas and Jensen for example, are not regularly available.
Recently I think they are missing young rooney at the back.