Right winger options for summer?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Re: Right winger options for summer?

Post by djemba-djemba » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:44 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm
I guess it depends what budget people think we will have.

I would expect our budget to be below 10m and max wages on offer probs 40k.

Narrows down the list quite significantly. If we are Being realistic I think the best we can hope for is a young talent from LG 1 or championship.

I think Dembele (Peterborough) or Brennan Johnson are fairly realistic targets this summer.
If the best we can hope for is youngsters from the Championship and LG1 why was there so much excitement about the takeover?

At least with the old board we got the best from the second tier.

Norfolk Claret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Norfolk Claret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 pm

If the best we can hope for is youngsters from the Championship and League 1 then it’s going to be a very very long season. We need to improve the starting 11 in my opinion.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3104 times
Has Liked: 3823 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm

Norfolk Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 pm
If the best we can hope for is youngsters from the Championship and League 1 then it’s going to be a very very long season. We need to improve the starting 11 in my opinion.
Totally agree.

We need quality that is ready to come in and improve the team at this level. The accounts suggested that we’re in the top 30 or so richest clubs financially. If we can’t do better than Championship/L1 youngsters then there’s something wrong (accepting that there will be lots of clubs with rich owners).

If it comes to that, I’d much rather we just give the chances to our kids and accept what will be will be.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 pm

I think that given the push seems to be on to raise the bar at the club behind the seems is grinding into gear, it would seem illogical that The new owners would not be prepared to at least start doing the same. I think their might be a reasonable chunk on offer, as the next level forward seems to be the first aim in all levels of the club...

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3802 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Mattster wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:33 pm
Personally I don't think Doku isn't a missed opportunity, I don't think the fee for him would have been something we could afford for a 16 year old that wasn't ready for first team football at Premier League level. He was being linked to the likes of Liverpool even then.

Berghuis was at Watford 5 years ago. I'd say given the fee he's apparently available for I'm not sure we'd be able to compete on the wages - especially if he has a good Euros.

Basaksehir were paying Adebayor £50k a week a couple of seasons ago, I would imagine their captain/best player will be on similar given he signed a new 5 year deal this summer when they'd qualified for the Champions League.
We are already paying players more than £50k p/w, wages shouldn't be an issue, we blow 95% of teams in Europe out of the water financially.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:59 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm
Totally agree.

We need quality that is ready to come in and improve the team at this level. The accounts suggested that we’re in the top 30 or so richest clubs financially. If we can’t do better than Championship/L1 youngsters then there’s something wrong (accepting that there will be lots of clubs with rich owners).

If it comes to that, I’d much rather we just give the chances to our kids and accept what will be will be.
I understand the club is “rich” but where is a 15m transfer going to come from without selling first? The owners don’t appear to have the funds, it appears as though all business has to be club funded.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm
We are already paying players more than £50k p/w, wages shouldn't be an issue, we blow 95% of teams in Europe out of the water financially.
I think the base salary of players is relatively low, probs between 30-50k. However there are then significant bonuses for players based on league finish. I am not sure the club will want to take it players on at the top end of our scale in the current climate.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3802 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 pm
I think the base salary of players is relatively low, probs between 30-50k. However there are then significant bonuses for players based on league finish. I am not sure the club will want to take it players on at the top end of our scale in the current climate.
I'm pretty sure we have players on more than £50k p/w before any bonus payments. The club simply don't have a choice, we have also lost big earners and not replaced them.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:59 pm
I understand the club is “rich” but where is a 15m transfer going to come from without selling first? The owners don’t appear to have the funds, it appears as though all business has to be club funded.
But I have been told off only this week for suggesting we were not seriously negotiating for players in the summer... neither of our main targets were free, so even at that stage the new owners were sanctioning some investment, even last January when things really were uncertain.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6750 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Keir Starmer?

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm
He's 31.

He signed a 5 year deal in the summer.

Turkey's tax rate is significantly lower than the UK's.

We'd have to offer a 4 year deal at around £10k a week more than he is on now to just about edge out his current situation.

In the final year of his deal he'd be 35.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm
But I have been told off only this week for suggesting we were not seriously negotiating for players in the summer... neither of our main targets were free, so even at that stage the new owners were sanctioning some investment, even last January when things really were uncertain.
I think we have all been told that, but I’m just going off what we now Is fact right now.

January was our first transfer window in over 8 years without signing a player, the new owners are actively looking for external investment (would suggest funds arnt available), the new owners have already mentioned how shocked they are at agent fees, the debt payments, China rebate... all kind of points to a very lean summer.

However all the above could be a load of crap and they spend 50m this summer. Just highlighting that it currently looks like there is minimal funds this summer hence why I would suggest lower league talent or free transfers could be the way the club goes.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:49 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm
I think we have all been told that, but I’m just going off what we now Is fact right now.

January was our first transfer window in over 8 years without signing a player, the new owners are actively looking for external investment (would suggest funds arnt available), the new owners have already mentioned how shocked they are at agent fees, the debt payments, China rebate... all kind of points to a very lean summer.

However all the above could be a load of crap and they spend 50m this summer. Just highlighting that it currently looks like there is minimal funds this summer hence why I would suggest lower league talent or free transfers could be the way the club goes.

Should Crystal Palace come calling SD may well decide that a busy summer is far preferable to another very lean summer :x

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 pm

I don’t think our finances can be looked at in quite as simplistic terms as some are suggesting. Not everything is as black and white as that. It’s not like having a savings account with £100 in and you can only spend that amount.

We may well sell players but we also have cash in the bank and the new owner is known to be actively looking for investment (and my bet is he will find some given his contacts).

Also worth noting that if we sign someone for £15m, for example, there is no way we pay anywhere near that amount up front.

Nobody really knows about the club’s finances and how they might potentially be boosted. So everyone’s opinion is pure speculation and guess work.

Norfolk Claret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Norfolk Claret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:00 pm

I would assume if Dyche isn’t backed in the Summer then it’s the end of the road for him with us. I’m very surprised he’s still here to be honest. I’m sure the Summer will tell us all we need to know, so until then unless there’s a miracle and we can get back on the Turf this season I’ll be shouting and cheering us over the survival line from my front room.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 pm
I don’t think our finances can be looked at in quite as simplistic terms as some are suggesting. Not everything is as black and white as that. It’s not like having a savings account with £100 in and you can only spend that amount.

We may well sell players but we also have cash in the bank and the new owner is known to be actively looking for investment (and my bet is he will find some given his contacts).

Also worth noting that if we sign someone for £15m, for example, there is no way we pay anywhere near that amount up front.

Nobody really knows about the club’s finances and how they might potentially be boosted. So everyone’s opinion is pure speculation and guess work.
It’s not simple but it’s all relative, the point stands that We haven’t got owners that can just pump 50m in this window.

What funds are in the bank? I thought all the reports were they used the clubs finance as part of deal for the takeover, so Garlick etc... walked away with nest egg? Or is there some new info out there.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 pm
It’s not simple but it’s all relative, the point stands that We haven’t got owners that can just pump 50m in this window.

What funds are in the bank? I thought all the reports were they used the clubs finance as part of deal for the takeover, so Garlick etc... walked away with nest egg? Or is there some new info out there.
Like I said, it’s all speculation. Nobody really knows for sure at this point.

What do you mean by “pump £50m in”? If by that you mean sign 3-4 players in deals worth £10-15m then that is exactly what we require after kicking the can down the road for so long in recent transfer windows. And, if that is done, the initial outlay won’t be to pay anywhere near £50m up front (as I said in my original post).

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

I agree. But I think the market will adjust hugely by summer. The transfer from TV Rights to Digital imaging rights is going to widen the gap between haves and nots naturally. But as the transition begins uncertainty makes it prudent to optimise squads... all through the pyramid. Burnley, being well run could be in a position to pick up some bargains at the top pond of surplus talent... while accepting that The American takeover, not just of Burnley but the whole of football seems inevitable as football becomes whatever pulls in more $ for a worldwide market, not just the traditional support. All the boards plans rely on a product people want to associate with, work with and pay for... that’s showbiz
This user liked this post: Quicknick

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 am

claretspice wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am
The lad who scored against us on Sunday for Newcastle, Murphy, has yet to sign a new contract at Newcastle, largely because he's been in and out of the side by all accounts. But even before Sunday, he's struck me as a very "Burnley" type of player, and he's a genuine, hard working winger with a bit of pace and a good delivery.
Still has another year left on his current contract after this season so won't come cheap

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 am

Ringo McCartney or Rowls

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 am
Still has another year left on his current contract after this season so won't come cheap
Interesting. It was widely reported he was out of contract this summer. His form recently may well mean Newcastle are reluctant to sell, which I suspect is a change from even 6 weeks ago.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am

Out of interest

What are the differences between key skills

Attacking duel

Progressive run

Dribble

Just asking as you quote all three of these KPI's when putting forward a suggestion that Ritsu Doan would be a good signing

I would engage with any stats if I knew what they meant

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:08 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am
Out of interest

What are the differences between key skills

Attacking duel

Progressive run

Dribble

Just asking as you quote all three of these KPI's when putting forward a suggestion that Ritsu Doan would be a good signing

I would engage with any stats if I knew what they meant
An attacking duel is any kind of ground duel where the player was in possession of the ball, eg. using their body to shield the ball from an opponent. It's a successful duel if the team still has possession when it's done.

A dribble is where a player tries to beat an opponent with a dribble. It's succesful if they go past the player and are still in possession.

A progressive run is running with the ball at feet towards the opponents goal. The distance criteria to qualify is higher the closer to their own goal they are (ie. If running from inside own 3rd then it's 30 yards to qualify, if running from middle 3rd it's 15 and in final 3rd I think it's 10 yards and/or into the penalty area).

A player could achieve all 3 in one possession if they ran with the ball far enough, held off an opponent whilst doing so and then used skill to get past them.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Assuming Tarks goes, and with the guaranteed £8M from Gibson, that will give us £20M+ to work with before we’ve even started.

The idea we’ll only have £10M and £40k wages to work with is ridiculous. We’ll have plenty more than that.

Even if we’re quoted £10/15/20M for a player, we won’t be paying anything like that up front. Pepe at Arsenal is a perfect example of that.

Let’s give the new owners a chance first, eh? To judge them in a January window, in a pandemic with no movement, having just taken over, is a very Burnley fan thing to do.
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 pm
Assuming Tarks goes, and with the guaranteed £8M from Gibson, that will give us £20M+ to work with before we’ve even started.

The idea we’ll only have £10M and £40k wages to work with is ridiculous. We’ll have plenty more than that.

Even if we’re quoted £10/15/20M for a player, we won’t be paying anything like that up front. Pepe at Arsenal is a perfect example of that.

Let’s give the new owners a chance first, eh? To judge them in a January window, in a pandemic with no movement, having just taken over, is a very Burnley fan thing to do.
Seems the owners have little or no cash in hand - given they have had to take out a substantial loan just to pay off the old directors for control of the club
So your first line could well sum up the full kitty Dyche will have to work with (and as said below, it could be less)

And for that money we have to find a right winger plus two CB's as a minimum

It also follows that, if we don't pay up front for any player, then any club taking JT and Gibson to Norwich are also likely to be receipts paid on installments

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Im glad theres so many options out there but i wonder what the fans reaction will be like if we have another incredibly lean summer of hardly any spending. Could make the return of fans a highly toxic environment for the "new owners"

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Norfolk Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:15 pm
James from Man Utd, he’s never going to be a 1st team regular whilst there. I believe Man Utd already have another signed winger for the 1st team, not sure if he’s played yet?
He’s fast, direct and more importantly has a right peg
Good shout this, could do a lot worse, even a year on loan would be ideal for us, hes a speed merchant too.
This user liked this post: Norfolk Claret

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 pm

For Burnley to have 20m plus to work with, Tarks would have to be sold for 35m as a minimum (be lucky to get 15-20m with a year left on his contract).

We have approx 7-8m of interest to pay off. 7-8m of a china rebate to pay. For the first time in a long time owners that will be taking a salary (I assume approx 1-2m range).
Then it’s also worth remembering that Brentford get 25% from the Tarks sale. When you add all of that together and the fact our revenue is down due to Covid, you can appreciate why fans are wondering where signings are going to come from.

I am sure Chester can give you some more accurate figures if you are interested.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm
For Burnley to have 20m plus to work with, Tarks would have to be sold for 35m as a minimum (be lucky to get 15-20m with a year left on his contract).

We have approx 7-8m of interest to pay off. 7-8m of a china rebate to pay. For the first time in a long time owners that will be taking a salary (I assume approx 1-2m range).
Then it’s also worth remembering that Brentford get 25% from the Tarks sale. When you add all of that together and the fact our revenue is down due to Covid, you can appreciate why fans are wondering where signings are going to come from.

I am sure Chester can give you some more accurate figures if you are interested.
Perhaps our investors, who have identified an opportunity in Burnley, might identify similar opportunities when it comes to players.

I actually see more scope for profit with effective scouting than I do with x number of followers of everyone’s favourite underdog. Certainly in the short to medium term.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:32 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Perhaps our investors, who have identified an opportunity in Burnley, might identify similar opportunities when it comes to players.

I actually see more scope for profit with effective scouting than I do with x number of followers of everyone’s favourite underdog. Certainly in the short to medium term.
100% there is opportunities out there to buy young talent and make a profit on them.

Look at Eze last season. If palace were to sell him now they would make a profit.

I think Olise at reading is another one you could buy for 15-20m this summer and probably sell next year for 30m plus

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm

It’s being prepared to pay those now much bigger fees for potential. As you say, fifteen million could soon become double or more - it could also be an expensive average player.

We’ve invested in our scouting - hopefully to a point that we can identify those with a good chance and perhaps more importantly, trust the scouting enough to spend the brass.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:32 pm
100% there is opportunities out there to buy young talent and make a profit on them.

Look at Eze last season. If palace were to sell him now they would make a profit.

I think Olise at reading is another one you could buy for 15-20m this summer and probably sell next year for 30m plus
We wouldn't have any hope of signing Olise I'm afraid.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:47 pm

taio wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 pm
We wouldn't have any hope of signing Olise I'm afraid.
I don’t think we have a chance either. Just demonstrating that there is young talent out there that you can make profit on.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:53 pm

We know Dyche has a propensity for older (more experienced?) players

Could he adapt and buy in to a new scouting system that promotes younger, inexperienced players (and would he be happy to put them in a starting eleven)

The club's summer's transfer activity will go a long way to deciding whether SD will sign a new contract or not

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm

If we can’t buy a player for £15m after 6 out of 7 years in the prem, we might as well pack up and go home!

Relegated Norwich bought one of our unused defenders for £8m last summer.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:27 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm
If we can’t buy a player for £15m after 6 out of 7 years in the prem, we might as well pack up and go home!

Relegated Norwich bought one of our unused defenders for £8m last summer.
Only if they are promoted.

They’ll have a much lower wage bill having not spent a number of consecutive years in the premier league, didn’t spend huge amounts and probably had wages drop back following relegation.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:27 pm
Only if they are promoted.

They’ll have a much lower wage bill having not spent a number of consecutive years in the premier league, didn’t spend huge amounts and probably had wages drop back following relegation.
Yes but they were still willing to pay £8m if promoted, which they will be. If we have promoted Championship teams buying our players for £8m and we can’t shell out £15m with £0m net transfer debt, there’s something wrong.

Although we need to stay up first before we worry about that!

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm
Yes but they were still willing to pay £8m if promoted, which they will be. If we have promoted Championship teams buying our players for £8m and we can’t shell out £15m with £0m net transfer debt, there’s something wrong.

Although we need to stay up first before we worry about that!
I think it as per what Chester explained on one of the money threads the other day.

We did not and we do not currently have owners that can pump any of there own money into the club. So any transfers have to be funded by the club.

Signing players worth 15m on a season basis is nearly impossible when your player wages make up more than 70% of revenue. To be able to sign players of that value or player wages would have to drop to 45-50% similar to Spurs.

Let’s see what the new owners plan on doing but anyone expecting large sums of money to be thrown around will probably be disappointed

Rowls
Been Liked: 5100 times
Has Liked: 5165 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 pm

There's a young English/Congolese player at Montpellier who plays as a wide forward. He isn't used either as an out and out classic winger but neither as a centre forward and he's mainly left-hand sided but I think he's worth a look.

Stephy Mavididi is the name. He started his career at Arsenal but was sold to Juventus as a youngster. Montpellier bought him for 6.3 million Euros last summer from Juventus following a half decent season on loan at Dijon. He's scored 9 in 30 this season despite not being a regular starter till lately.

He's young and a bit unrefined but seemingly has a great attitude and his workrate is good. Sometimes looks a bit naive positionally but he's still young at 22. Great pace and he's good at dribbling forward with purpose. He's got a fanastic, tall and powerful physique which is all so important in the modern game and we should have enough financial muscle to afford both the fee and his wages.

I can imagine there'll be a few English teams trying to pry him away from the South of France in the summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephy_Mavididi

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 pm
I think it as per what Chester explained on one of the money threads the other day.

We did not and we do not currently have owners that can pump any of there own money into the club. So any transfers have to be funded by the club.

Signing players worth 15m on a season basis is nearly impossible when your player wages make up more than 70% of revenue. To be able to sign players of that value or player wages would have to drop to 45-50% similar to Spurs.

Let’s see what the new owners plan on doing but anyone expecting large sums of money to be thrown around will probably be disappointed
We’ll have to see, but I’ll be very disappointed if the ALK takeover does not see new investment brought in to the club to improve our financial strength. I am hopeful rather than expectant, but if Garlick has sold out to a group that have taken us in to debt, used up some of the cash reserves buying his shares out and have no plan to raise funding needed to invest, it will have unquestionably been a very bad deal for the club and frankly a quite shameful act by him given his statements about him being a custodian, ensuring sustainability, etc.

Alan Pace made some great statements on the initial takeover - that he doesn’t expect SD to be disappointed, that he’d under promise and over deliver and that he wanted to move the club forward. They may just be empty words, of course, but if he’s not going to invest, I can’t see the sense in buying Burnley - a brilliantly run stretching its business model to the limit is a pretty risky purchase unless he felt he had the capacity to provide the funding needed to take the club to the next level. He’d have been better buying a “sleeping giant” from the lower leagues otherwise.

All that said, our cash pile has grown ~£15m per season for the last three (removing the PL advance in the last accounts). I accept that some of that will have been generated from past player sales, some will have gone on the takeover, and that a lot may now be needed to absorb Covid impacts, but even without investment I can’t imagine there won’t be enough to invest in a £15m player... especially with £0 net transfer debt.

If there isn’t, Dyche will be off. He won’t hang around whilst he has offers from other clubs that will be prepared to invest. If Pace’s plan involves losing Dyche then good luck to him.

But my broader point is that PL players cost money. The top clubs are spending £70m+, middling clubs around £30m. That may adjust due to Covid, with smaller fees and more of them being deferred in to the future, but if we can’t even stretch to half that amount, we don’t really deserve to be at the table... and won’t be for long.
Last edited by NewClaret on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 pm

He's young and a bit unrefined but seemingly has a great attitude and his workrate is good. Sometimes looks a bit naive positionally but he's still young at 22. Great pace and he's good at dribbling forward with purpose. He's got a fanastic, tall and powerful physique which is all so important in the modern game and we should have enough financial muscle to afford both the fee and his wages.
Not hear of him but will take a look.

JBG is a very good option on the right and, fully fit, he’s more than good enough. If he were at any Championship club he’d be bagging goals galore & we’d all be purring over him.

What I think we need to focus on is bringing in attributes we don’t have - raw pace, maybe some height in midfield, ball playing defenders, etc. I also think we need cover for Dwight although maybe one extra winger would be enough since JBG can play on the left.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5100 times
Has Liked: 5165 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Re: Mavididi

He is far from the finished article but the point with us and transfers is that if a player IS the finished article then we're going to get priced out.

Mavididi looks like he still has scope to improve.