ARTICLE: One pointed needed for the title

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: One pointed needed for the title

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:59 am

And to the final home league game of the 1972/73 season against Luton

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/one-pointe ... -the-title

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Re: ARTICLE: One pointed needed for the title

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm

I can recall Jim Thomson's celebration after his goal but little more. It really was 'heady' stuff and had been a whirlwind of fixtures since returning home for the game at Huddersfield. I didn't envisage this happening after that opening fixture to Carlisle and as I write this I'm trying to recall that ONE result in the season that suggested there might be something for us come the end of the season. Any result for you significant?
Anyway, just the game at Deepdale left and I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these reports. Even though I missed a number of games because of studies it still remains one of my most memorable seasons. Looking forward to your report on Wednesday.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:42 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm
as I write this I'm trying to recall that ONE result in the season that suggested there might be something for us come the end of the season. Any result for you significant?
I was confident we'd win promotion from November onwards, but the game that did it for me was when we took Aston Villa apart, at Villa Park, early in January.

I remember overhearing so many Villa fans, when leaving the ground after the match, saying just how good a side we were.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:02 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:30 pm
I can recall Jim Thomson's celebration after his goal but little more. It really was 'heady' stuff and had been a whirlwind of fixtures since returning home for the game at Huddersfield. I didn't envisage this happening after that opening fixture to Carlisle and as I write this I'm trying to recall that ONE result in the season that suggested there might be something for us come the end of the season. Any result for you significant?
Anyway, just the game at Deepdale left and I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these reports. Even though I missed a number of games because of studies it still remains one of my most memorable seasons. Looking forward to your report on Wednesday.
Villa at home early season was an outstanding performance but too early in the season to make any judgement. The win at Sheffield Wednesday maybe because they were right up there at the time. The performance at Villa was special in Jan and was probably the day I became really confident that we would do it.

As for Thommo’s celebration - one of very few in his career.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:02 pm
Villa at home early season was an outstanding performance but too early in the season to make any judgement. The win at Sheffield Wednesday maybe because they were right up there at the time. The performance at Villa was special in Jan and was probably the day I became really confident that we would do it.

As for Thommo’s celebration - one of very few in his career.
When we played away against teams challenging near the top we seemed to get good results except for the defeat against QPR in Jan. Although I didn't see the game I,too, think the 0-3 victory at Villa Park was a very significant result. Doug Collins,a key player missing through suspension, was worrying but in the end we put 7 goals past them that season. After that result I was confident that we could beat Liverpool in the FA Cup so much so that I returned for the game from London only 5 days after going back down there and then stayed for the replay. Got a warning when I returned to London but I'd do it again.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:12 pm
When we played away against teams challenging near the top we seemed to get good results except for the defeat against QPR in Jan. Although I didn't see the game I,too, think the 0-3 victory at Villa Park was a very significant result. Doug Collins,a key player missing through suspension, was worrying but in the end we put 7 goals past them that season. After that result I was confident that we could beat Liverpool in the FA Cup so much so that I returned for the game from London only 5 days after going back down there and then stayed for the replay. Got a warning when I returned to London but I'd do it again.
We simply blew Villa away at Villa Park. But the first cup game against Liverpool is worth considering. We were superb in that 0-0 draw and I’m sure holding the first division champions elect will have given the team a lift.

todclaret
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by todclaret » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 pm

Another night I remember from childhood. Usual spot on the Bee Hole with my Dad watching from further back but this time joined by my mum, returning to the Turf for the first time in several years, a hiatus she insists was in no way connected to the departure of Ray Pointer.

I remember Jim Thomson scoring. He didn't get many and the only other goals that spring to mind are the Anglo Scottish Cup Final first leg at ice rink Boundary Park, and the much postponed FA Cup tie at home to Sunderland in 1979. Postponement after postponement then when the game was finally played, we drew. We'd progressed after beating Birmingham at St Andrew's, who had Jim Montgomery in goal and Argentinian World Cup winning fullback Alberto Tarantini. Leighton James, Tony Morley and Steve Kindon's pace tore him a new one that night.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 pm

todclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 pm

I remember Jim Thomson scoring. He didn't get many
He was prolific - scored 3 in 297 league games and 3 in 67 cup games. :D